• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Campy Fox Vs. Luigi (Also Any Falco Tips?)

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I main Falco but I picked up Luigi as a secondary, I need some tips. I feel Luigi is better then Doc and Mario in many areas. I'm uploading some friendlies to youtube to help you guys visualize what's going on.

Every Fox I have played used a campy strat. Meaning they run short hop double laser and run. Is there anyway to counter this?

Also any Falco tips is nice. The match up is near impossible.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Every Fox I have played used a campy strat. Meaning they run short hop double laser and run. Is there anyway to counter this?

Also any Falco tips is nice. The match up is near impossible.
Fox: Downsmash him and make him wish he never left the ground. Tech chasing is really important in this one. Luigi is faster if not the same speed as fox, master the perfect wavedash and he should be running from you.

I'm in the same boat with you on Falco. That matchup ****ing sucks.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Fox: Downsmash him and make him wish he never left the ground. Tech chasing is really important in this one. Luigi is faster if not the same speed as fox, master the perfect wavedash and he should be running from you.

I'm in the same boat with you on Falco. That matchup ****ing sucks.

I have mastered the wavedash. In the Match-up he gets really defensive ugh...

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I have mastered the wavedash. In the Match-up he gets really defensive ugh...
Unfortunately for Fox, if Luigi gets in, the Fox loses a stock (hopefully) - the character is just too easy for luigi to combo / techchase. Fox also can't go for normal follow ups because of luigi's nair. Because the nature of our character, many players choose to play defensive against us...

However Luigi has an interesting property. His presence on stage is huge in that he can be anywhere at the blink of an eye. He applies some form of pressure almost anywhere on the stage because of this. Get close to fox and he will no doubt try to move/jump out of the way, try to predict where he will land or go and downsmash/grab to lead into a 50% or death combo.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately for Fox, if Luigi gets in, the Fox loses a stock (hopefully) - the character is just too easy for luigi to combo / techchase. Fox also can't go for normal follow ups because of luigi's nair. Because the nature of our character, many players choose to play defensive against us...

However Luigi has an interesting property. His presence on stage is huge in that he can be anywhere at the blink of an eye. He applies some form of pressure almost anywhere on the stage because of this. Get close to fox and he will no doubt try to move/jump out of the way, try to predict where he will land or go and downsmash/grab to lead into a 50% or death combo.
Downsmash > upthrow > Combo the DI's? > Up-B when your feeling it?

Downsmash>jab reset (if missed tech)> Up-B punish or throw?

Vist

Smash Champion
Basically, this just comes down to playing smart and effective. Keep your cool and handle the passive-aggressive playstyle gracefully.

General tips:
  • You need to emphasize getting combos in and making the most of them. Go for as much percentage as possible and go for what kills and what is guaranteed.
  • Downsmash is a good combo starter, but don't forget about grabs. Uthrow can combo into all sorts of stuff.
  • IMO, I would avoid up-b punishes. The only time it is good in this match-up is if the fox is at a very high percentage and you are able to pull an up-b out of shield or following a jab reset.
  • Don't forget WD -> Ftilt is great for approaching and keeping up the pressure.

Falco is pretty much the same deal, but definitely get down power shielding and WDing out of shield to avoid getting locked down with lasers etc.

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
sour-spot nair--->up-b combos are also real if you catch them not di'ing. also, don't get shined. probably not as crucial when they're campy, but when camping stops working try to space everything outside of shine.

Top Bottom