• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Stick Usage

machelo

Smash Rookie
NNID
marcelo1626
So while I was watching CEO yesterday, I saw that many players used the c-stick for attack but not for smash attack, my question is... Does attack on c-stick make the players make tilts easier or so they dont pull off an easy punish for miss using an smash attack?

Illuminose

Smash Ace
So while I was watching CEO yesterday, I saw that many players used the c-stick for attack but not for smash attack, my question is... Does attack on c-stick make the players make tilts easier or so they dont pull off an easy punish for miss using an smash attack?
It's mostly for aerials. Using the C Stick for aerials increases your aerial mobility/ability to control your character in the air while using aerials (i.e. fading back). When the C Stick is set to smash, your momentum is cancelled, so basically you don't get the use out of C Stick aerials. When the C Stick is set to attack, you get this use.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Perhaps they think that C stick is easier to input an air attack rather then need to press :GCA: and then:GCN: to perform it. All they need to do is just tilt the :GCN:to input a direction while they can use :GCCN: to perform an air attack that they want. It's actually not that necessary to change the :GCCN: from Smash attack to standard attacks, however, I do found using :GCCN:to do D tilt and U tilt is much more easier though.

Last edited:

machelo

Smash Rookie
NNID
marcelo1626
Well I have been into smash like 6 years, but I hardly do any tilts, and always use my aerials with c-stick since I find it unconfortable using the A when using in the air, except if its a neutral attack

Last edited:

machelo

Smash Rookie
NNID
marcelo1626
It's mostly for aerials. Using the C Stick for aerials increases your aerial mobility/ability to control your character in the air while using aerials (i.e. fading back). When the C Stick is set to smash, your momentum is cancelled, so basically you don't get the use out of C Stick aerials. When the C Stick is set to attack, you get this use.
So c-stick for attack is way better?

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Even if c-stick is set to smash, you can still use it for aerials. You just need to tap it instead of holding it. However, for most characters, I find this is a good enough reason to set it to attack. For characters with good tilts out of perfect pivot like Little Mac though, c-stick attack is a must.

However, if your character has a good Dash Item Toss Cancelled Item Toss like Mega Man, or makes good use of smash attacks out of perfect pivot like Fox, you may want to keep it on smash.

Alternatively, I find that Mewtwo, with his good special move options out of perfect pivot and a teleporting up-b, does best with C-stick set to special.

Ultimately, it depends on the character, and which options you value using most. You should make your most important options as ergonomic as possible.

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
Using the C-stick for tilts makes it much easier to pull out tilts quickly without risk of overshooting. E.g. Forward tilt behind you after the opponent rolls, any tilt after a perfect shield, up-tilt out of a crouch as an anti-air. It also makes it practical to use pivoted tilts during a foxtrot. This is great for many characters - Fox and ZSS that have great 3-frame up-tilts that lead into combos, and Mega Man's best kill move is his up tilt which he can't do out of shield. You don't get as much mileage out of setting the C-stick to Smash for pivots since you can already do forward smashes straight out of the start of a dash and you can do up smash at any point in your dash/run.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I still use mine for Smash attacks (I go all default lol), but I agree it helps aerial movement and attacks. I also know its the only custom control change that ZeRo does which says something. lol

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I still use mine for Smash attacks (I go all default lol), but I agree it helps aerial movement and attacks. I also know its the only custom control change that ZeRo does which says something. lol
I may try it out. I can get into nearly every controls once I get used to it. For example, before they announced the GC adapter I change my main control from GC controller to Wii+Nulchuck controller and then I had get used to it for a while, but I quickly switch it back later date...
And then I changed my tap jump habit to button jump habit recently too. So to me, I don't really have a die-hard control habit. It just time matters for me to change it.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I find A-sticking & ofc C-stick set to Smash helpful, but I just don't see B-sticking as useful for that many characters albeit it can do nicely with a few on the roster.

Imo B-sticking is definitely used the least in Smash 4 because it was "nerfed" from Brawl. B-sticking the opposite direction while you were in the dash sequence or during a running animation would cause a SH or FH depending on how long you held the C-stick & also performed a RAR too. On top of that, tapping / flicking the C-stick to a diagonal direction while airborne performed a B-Reversed or Wavebounce to your Neutral-B, but in Smash 4, you can only B-Reverse your Side-B & Up-B. That's still cool but comparing Brawl B-sticking to Smash 4 B-sticking, it's much weaker & more underwhelming.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
There are 2 good reasons to put the Cstick to Attack :
1-you can perform a Nair while moving with the analog stick by pressing the Cstick diagonally. Makes spacing Nairs way easier.
2-You can buffer a SH Uair with jump + Cstick Up and it won't cancel into an Usmash no matter how fast you do it.

The main inconvenients of setting the Cstick to attack are the slightly higher difficutly to do running Usmash and foxtrot pivot Fsmash.

D

Deleted member

Reasons to set C-Stick to attack:
  • Aerials performed with a Smash Attack C-Stick halt your character's aerial momentum if you try to fade back/retreat the aerial after the input, while Attack C-Stick aerials let you attack and fade back with it. This is extremely noticeable with Greninja (this is why I use Attack C-Stick), since it allows you to space his Fair on shield extremely easily and more effectively at the same time.
  • You can perform Perfect Pivot tilts instead of smashes, which are generally better for most characters since tilts are superior for spacing, the neutral, and combos.
  • Easier pivot Ftilts, but this can be done with either setting.
Reasons to set C-Stick to smash:
  • Can't do smashes easily without it, mostly JC Usmash and pivot Fsmash, although these can be done regardless of the C-stick setting.
  • Super Glide Tossing: Pressing grab + C-stick Usmash during a run while holding an item lets some characters get a huge boost for surprise attacks. The main character that benefits from this is Megaman, since his is extremely far and he can spawn an item. A lot of characters that can spawn items don't benefit much from it, while some without the ability to spawn items have good tosses like Ike and Greninja.
If you have trouble using running Usmashes/pivot Fsmashes without the C-stick but want the benefits of using attack C-Stick, just practice and you'll eventually get it down. :substitute:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I've set my tilts to C-stick mostly because I wasn't good at using them. It's since elevated my game and opened up the full movesets for my characters.

However, I don't use C-stick for aerials. Is that something I should start doing? I remember one of the biggest issues I've had with C-sticking in the air is that running off the stage and trying to do a C-stick DAir has lead me to self-body myself because somehow C-stick DAir translate to the game as fast-fall NAir. That alone is the reason why I prefer to use the regular inputs for aerials.

But if C-sticking in the air really makes that much of a difference, I might have to go back to it.

Some other cons of C-sticking to attack is that sometimes the C-stick doesn't seem to register my attack. C-sticking in this game is just terrible; relying on it too much leads to many shenanigans. Also, using smash attacks has become more difficult. There are plenty of times where I mean to throw out a FSmash to end the game but instead my FTilt comes out and prolongs the match. In this game with rage enhancement, that's just not something you can afford to do often. Sometimes makes me wish I set

Really, it would be awesome if you could have specific controls for each character. Like if Dark Pit's side C-stick input would be an Ftilt while his down C-stick input would be DSmash, for example, while Lucas's side C-stick would be FSmash while his up C-stick would be UTilt.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
However, I don't use C-stick for aerials. Is that something I should start doing? I remember one of the biggest issues I've had with C-sticking in the air is that running off the stage and trying to do a C-stick DAir has lead me to self-body myself because somehow C-stick DAir translate to the game as fast-fall NAir. That alone is the reason why I prefer to use the regular inputs for aerials.
If you hold down on the control stick while doing a c-stick aerial, you'll do a fast-fall. If you press diagonally on the c-stick when it's set to attack, you'll do a nair. You just need to avoid holding down on the control stick when doing an aerial, and be a little more precise with your c-stick inputs if it's set to attack.

Also, A+B smash helps alleviate problems with accidentally throwing out tilts.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Yeah, here's a video I made to explain how this works (quite wonky).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSp885AxZss

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
Gosh, this is not the full truth.
If you hold the c-stick, it cancels your momentum. If you just flick the stick, it is no different.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
I tried to hard to learn C-stick set on tilts, I really did, but just feels soooo strange and I couldn't get used to it, literally to the point to where the game wasn't fun. As Cot stated, all you have top do is flick the C-stick and aerials are just fine with the c-stick on smash. The only thing that super changes for some characters are easier pivoting options.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I use it for smashes but maybe(at least for tilt characters) it would be a better option for tilts. Do you think lets say wario would benefit more from c-stick tilts? It would be nice to f-tilt instantly.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Yeah, like most other people said, I use my C-Stick for aerials. Makes FF attacks SOOOOOO much easier.

I also have it set to tilts as well, mainly so if I for some reason bump the C-Stick without meaning to, I won't throw out a smash, which I would surely get punished for.

Top Bottom