• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i ****ing love rock mode on pokemon

but i generally like it with almost any character, i think it might just be a player thing

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
what do i do out of shield vs a good fox
arcnatural literally just jumps at me and then i get scared and then the kid just crawls on me
i swear to god i just cannot create space, even if i like wd oos and then straight just run away

D

Deleted member

you are not running like a ***** well enough

or finding the holes in his play, almost everyone has a fatal flaw

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
the advice in this thread is all over the place bordering on being totally useless because everyone is playing at different levels. lol
i suppose the only solution to that would be..... making forums to segregate people by skill level (??? lol)

just a random thought

D

Deleted member

i don't care, i just respond honestly to whatever questions people ask unless i don't know much about it
==

and i sometimes do ask questions of my own too, that's how this thread started

Scar

#HarveyDent
separating by skill isn't the worst idea i've ever heard, though good advice is good advice no matter what. @ryankam, is there something you read that you don't get? or are you asking more generally?

johnny you are really good lol, how are you finding your plat cancels vs good people? you do it all the time and it looks really cool but i wonder how much success you think you're having from it -- i think vs really good people if it's too predictable they can better space against you because the PC aerial is sort of bait, and if they don't take the bait you don't have many options for your second aerial

also if i do perfect nair jabs, can i be punished between the two? and is there a good thread on shield dropping

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Jeapie seems to be the resident expert on shield dropping, I'd just direct any questions to him.. though he mentioned something about not being able to shield drop while running to the left?

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Yea, to shield drop while running you dash left or right, Hit straight down on the control stick then press shield. If you do it right you should pop right through the platform.

Lately I've been working on standing shield drops because I think they are far more useful. It is harder though because you have to hit the sweets or in-between neutral and down. You also have to get there quickly. Land to far and you spot dodge, not enough and you just move your shield.

:phone:

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
MAD EASY WAY TO SHIELD DROP:

1. hold exactly left or right as you shield (just dash->shield)
2. move your control stick ONE groove down (in between neutral and down like nakamaru said)

BAM YOU JUST SHIELD DROPPED

the amazing thing is that the window for moving your stick one groove down to activate the shield drop is infinitely big

If you are not holding EXACTLY left or right when you shield you will spot dodge instead as you move your stick down

Wolfy!

Indecisive
MAD EASY WAY TO SHIELD DROP:

1. hold exactly left or right as you shield (just dash->shield)
2. move your control stick ONE groove down (in between neutral and down like nakamaru said)

BAM YOU JUST SHIELD DROPPED

the amazing thing is that the window for moving your stick one groove down to activate the shield drop is infinitely big

If you are not holding EXACTLY left or right when you shield you will spot dodge instead as you move your stick down
Yeah, these are really handy. This video is a good reference for how to do it correctly.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
separating by skill level can be helpful, but really, like s2j said, you just have to find the hole in the persons style

good ideas are good ideas, but nothing is necessarily a bad idea (besides the obvious)

i remember a few years ago when the advice in these threads was generally straight up "never stomp out of shield" when i was still winning tons of sets vs spacies by doing just that. if it doesnt work against your opponent, dont do it against him, but lots of things that dont work on some still work vs others

so basically what im saying is, any time anybody says "do this" or "dont do that", dont just take the advice, think/ask about the reasoning, what specifically it counters/is countered by

consider all the advice you see, but think about it and experiment

D

Deleted member

separating by skill isn't the worst idea i've ever heard, though good advice is good advice no matter what. @ryankam, is there something you read that you don't get? or are you asking more generally?

johnny you are really good lol, how are you finding your plat cancels vs good people? you do it all the time and it looks really cool but i wonder how much success you think you're having from it -- i think vs really good people if it's too predictable they can better space against you because the PC aerial is sort of bait, and if they don't take the bait you don't have many options for your second aerial

also if i do perfect nair jabs, can i be punished between the two? and is there a good thread on shield dropping
if you do platform cancels like a noob you will get ***** each time you do it vs good people. I spammed it like a noob when I first learned about it and good players wrecked me constantly.

vs good people, I mix up timings and aerial choices to be deceptive, but sometimes you shouldn't even go for a hit after the platform cancel. Some pr0s wait for the platform cancel to counterattack

I find it most useful when you stomp someone low percentage and you platform cancel the stomp to restomp them or knee

if you can picture it, stomp around 25%~ and the only way the knee can connect is if you platform cancelled the stomp, quickly fastfall/ doublejump knee before they hit the ground

worst case for me, platform cancelling lets you move around quicker on small platform stages, i think you have to use it on FoD if you want to stand a chance on that stage

==

also, i stomp out of shield and get punished 4 out of 5 times but that 1 time I get the stomp makes it worth it IMO

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
When you guys say platform cancel, do you mean edge cancelling? Cause I thought platform cancelling was when you canceled a rising aerial through a platform.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
S2J reads my mind.

YOU NEED EDGE CANCEL TO PLAY GOOD ON FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS

Sometimes you will L-cancel automatically when you are mocing fast and the platforms are on **** height.
Therefore you must know when you use L-cancel and when you dont.

Also regular good edge cancels is needed to play good on FoD. Edge cancels are freaking good on ys as well.

crush

Smash Master
S2J reads my mind.

YOU NEED EDGE CANCEL TO PLAY GOOD ON FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS

Sometimes you will L-cancel automatically when you are mocing fast and the platforms are on c*ck height.
Therefore you must know when you use L-cancel and when you dont.

Also regular good edge cancels is needed to play good on FoD. Edge cancels are freaking good on ys as well.
aight bayb

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
some merit in separating by skill i guess, but people may play opponents of wildly varying skill levels so unified discussion seems more appropriate. also, how would you determine who went where (outside of known pros)?

edit: i often try to stomp oos against spacies and often get ***** for it. my success rate is more like 1 in 10 :(

Twinkles

Smash Lord
MY FALCON SUCKS DONKEY BALLZ

FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD, HOW DO YOU APPROACH WITH FALCON!?
(In all seriousness, I really dumb about spacing my aerials and getting a clean hit on people in general. Any tips on how to fix this problem?)

Anand

Smash Journeyman
When you guys say platform cancel, do you mean edge cancelling? Cause I thought platform cancelling was when you canceled a rising aerial through a platform.
thats no-impact landing

edge canceling is what is meant i believe
Yeah, I think DuckPimp is correct. If I recall correctly, platform cancel aerials are when you drop through a platform and aerial really quickly (and you have to hit someone; something about hitlag) so you land on the same platform without having to jump or anything. It's really easy with Luigi's nair.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Yea, platform canceling is kinda wack though. At least for falcon.

You can platform cancel his uair, but it is harder to do than marth's fair. I've done it once by accident while i was trying to do something completely unrelated.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Yea, platform canceling is kinda wack though. At least for falcon.

You can platform cancel his uair, but it is harder to do than marth's fair. I've done it once by accident while i was trying to do something completely unrelated.
you cant platform cancel falcons uair

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
thats blatantly wrong
so your saying every aerial in the game can be plat cancelled? lmao

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Every aerial in the game can be edge canceled, to my knowledge. It happens because upon landing, the animation switches while you are still moving a bit based on your momentum and traction. The landing animation for an aerial cannot be done while in the air, so if your momentum puts you into the air during it, the animation ends and you are fully actionable in the air. It should also be noted that the teetering animation (where your character stands at the edge flailing their arms as if to keep their balance) can cancel the landing animation as well.

edit- B moves can't be edge canceled. Fox/Falco's lasers and sheik's needles have a similar property as above, where the air animation is different from the ground animation so when you land the animation is canceled completely, but most B moves continue with the same animation from the air to the ground, so even if you were to go from air->ground->air the animation would continue normally.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
MY FALCON SUCKS DONKEY BALLZ

FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD, HOW DO YOU APPROACH WITH FALCON!?
(In all seriousness, I really dumb about spacing my aerials and getting a clean hit on people in general. Any tips on how to fix this problem?)
Be faster. Approach with a well spaced nair > gentleman, knee > gentlemen or just poke at they're shields and run around them with bairs, knees, and nairs. Thats all if they are shielding.

Scar

#HarveyDent
also, i stomp out of shield and get punished 4 out of 5 times but that 1 time I get the stomp makes it worth it IMO
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

literally my favorite moment in all the years i've played smash was @ dunk's when me and jeff were in the room talking about stomp OOS, and you walked in and i was like

yo johnny, how bad does stomp OOS suck
"it sucks a big ****"
and how often do you do it
"all the time"
me too

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL <3 falcon

Top Bottom