• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Button Layout For Sheik Players?

Jlp

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keaton Benny
Hey, I'm quite new to SmashBoards but follow a lot of smash stuff on Youtube. I noticed that Mr. R and False would often use Rising Needles to BF, using only 1 jump. After playing in training mode I discovered that you've to hit Special (B for many people) pretty much as soon as you hit Jump (X, Y, or Tap Jump), making it very difficult to pull off because of the button position.ATM I've have assigned Z - Jump (I use L - Grab) so I can hit Jump & Special quickly and therefore correctly pull off Rising Needles to BF in 1 jump. I've began to rethink my button layout and wanted to know what other Sheik players use.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
:GCX: for grab
:GCZ: for jump (specifically for the full hop needles > bf combo lol)
:GCLT: for jump (for quick shield drop cancelling and OoS stuff)

tap jump and rumble off.

Normally I always jump with :GCY: but I only use :GCZ: for the needles > bf combo, which, like you, I found impossible to do with traditional jumping buttons.

Last edited:

Jlp

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keaton Benny
:GCX: for grab
:GCZ: for jump (specifically for the full hop needles > bf combo lol)
:GCLT: for jump (for quick shield drop cancelling and OoS stuff)

tap jump and rumble off.

Normally I always jump with :GCY: but I only use :GCZ: for the needles > bf combo, which, like you, I found impossible to do with traditional jumping buttons.
Thats exactly what I do, :GCY: for regular jumps and :GCZ: jump for the needle > bf combo. Glad I'm not the only one!

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
Thats exactly what I do, :GCY: for regular jumps and :GCZ: jump for the needle > bf combo. Glad I'm not the only one!
I use default with tap jump and rumble off
I struggled with the FH needles -> BF but was not willing to give up my :GCZ: since I rely on it so heavily for grabs and jumping with R trigger didnt feel natural. I worked around this by using my index finger to press :GCY: while my thumb simultaneously presses B. Felt odd after the first 5-10 attempts but was fairly effortless beyond that.

Last edited:

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
I actually use the default :GCY: to jump, and :GCX:as an extra special button along with B. I also keep :GCZ: as grab. That way the layout is at least familiar with most smash players. Tap jump and rumble would be off of course.

Last edited:

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Upon rethinking things, :GCX: for grab sounds quite nice because it makes boost grabs infinitely easier. I am also liking the idea of making :GCZ: special, so that the input for rising needles to BF is:

:GCY: -> :GCZ: -> :GCD:-:GCZ:/:GCD:-:GCB:

:GCLT: as jump also sounds nice since I never use :GCLT: anyways.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
:GCLT: as special for rising needles (:GCY:+:GCLT: as inputs) and instant needle cancels. used to use jump, but it's a lot harder to do instant needle cancels without trigger special so I just switched it.
:GCCN: as Attack because the increased aerial mobility is absolutely massive, especially with sh fairs and nairs. don't want to deal with momentum canceling bs, I want to c stick my aerials. also nice to do standing ftilts with without moving forward at all, allows for instant needle cancels, and makes quick standing dtilts without crouching easier. not like sheik's smashes are that good either and it's easy to running up smash regardless.
:GCX:as shield because I don't use it and that's probably the best output I could have if I click it by accident or something.

tap jump off
a+b smash off
rumble off

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Okay, can someone give me a real reason to turn off Rumble? I just like the response, it's satisfying to FEEL the ass beating you're delivering.

:GCY:Jump:GCX:Grab:GCZ:Jump:GCCN:Tilts
I feel like this works for multiple characters.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Okay, can someone give me a real reason to turn off Rumble? I just like the response, it's satisfying to FEEL the *** beating you're delivering.

I only turn off rumble because I'm simply not used to it/don't like it lol, if you like it then keep it on.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I only turn off rumble because I'm simply not used to it/don't like it lol, if you like it then keep it on.
Hmm, well it's just that all I've heard is that it reduces fatigue in the hands...but daily, I'm a master carpenter for a theatre, so my hands can endure ridiculous vibration, like from a jig-saw or belt sander.

EDIT: "master" carpenter isn't me bragging, it's actually my job title. Theatrical design is weird.

Last edited:

Ascen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ascendtothetop
I use :GCLT: to jump, :GCZ: and :GCX: to grab, and :GCCN: for tilts.

I have almost never used :GCLT:, except for when I was transitioning from 3DS to the GameCube controller, and that phase only lasted for a little while, so it is now what I use for Rising Needle Storm.
I don't often use :GCCN: for attacks, but when I do, I want to be able to space my aerials properly, so I set it to tilts.

I have also rarely used :GCX: to jump, so I set it to something more useful, as an alternative to :GCZ:.

BnW Lock

Smash Cadet
Okay, can someone give me a real reason to turn off Rumble? I just like the response, it's satisfying to FEEL the *** beating you're delivering.

it breaks your controller dude

also i use that wiimote knockoff gamecube controller with everything default except no tap or rumble and y is jump

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata

also i use that wiimote knockoff gamecube controller with everything default except no tap or rumble and y is jump
Since making that post I have turned it off and don't really notice a difference. Is it because of the stress that the rumble motors put on the sautering on the controller's wiring board? (hopefully you get what I'm referring to, I'm awful at this)

BnW Lock

Smash Cadet
Since making that post I have turned it off and don't really notice a difference. Is it because of the stress that the rumble motors put on the sautering on the controller's wiring board? (hopefully you get what I'm referring to, I'm awful at this)
yeah somethin like that. in the long run it really ****s up your controllers lifespan

BlastHappyNinja

Smash Apprentice
The only things that I did were change my c-stick to tilts and turn tap jump off. Maybe it's all the solo hours that I put in when I played Smash by myself when I was younger, but I generally don't like to mess with my control scheme that much. I like to play mostly default out of comfort. Probably shouldn't do what I do, lol. I'm not saying I'm bad, but there are people above me who are much more accustomed to shifted control schemes and who know what's optimal and what's not. And turning rumble off feels so foreign to me, lawl. I can't play without rumble on, it messes me up something awful.

RRoulette

Smash Apprentice

I use that too, but L is special (for INC), C stick is tilts (for INC too and tilts have much more potential imo), no tap (helps me with some vanish things), no rumble, all else is defaults.

Top Bottom