• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BRSAR Files: How to Unpack Them

Notshane

Smash Ace
After pondering for a few minutes, wondering why no professional modder explained how to extract WAV files from the BRSAR, I got really upset and tried to do the process myself to help assist others on the whole matter. Turns out, I did figure out how to do it myself and even within a short period of time to boot. It was really that simple, but not simple enough to figure out on your own. However, after this, you will realize that it takes less than a minute to perform.

So today, here is the long-awaited elaboration on how to actually extract the WAV files from your BRSAR.

First, you need this handy little tool called "BRSAR Unpack" which can be found here:

www.hcs64.com/files/brsar_unpack00.zip

Well the developer did a good job making the tool, he never explained its simplicity.

1) Extract the file.
2) Go to your "smashbros_sound.brsar" and place it in the same folder.

Now, the process here is actually not like a BAT file where you just double click the EXE and it will unpack everything. I assume you tried this once, but what they did NOT explain was that you had to do it a different way. The EXE file only responds to receiving a BRSAR to extract, but there is no additional sub-menu to access, let alone ANY menu, to have an "Open" option to allow you to find your BRSAR file. Instead, they assumed you would do this:

3) Drag your "smashbros_sound.brsar" onto the "brsar_unpack.exe" application.
4) The command prompt will open, albeit actually doing something this time instead of rapidly opening and closing as it normally did, and the conversion process will begin.
5) Once the process is complete, look back in the same folder to find all of the sound files extracted and confirmed to WAV format, ready for you to experiment with in neatly segregated folders.

And that is really all there was to it. Really was not that hard of a feat to achieve, but nobody elaborated on it at all; the ones that did know how to use the program. And, given the huge amount of people that mentioned it way back when, I assumed they just figured it out but never told anyone because they believed it to be a simple process.

And again, well it was, nobody would have ever guessed that you had to DRAG the EXE file onto your BRSAR file. It really is a peculiar setup and it should have just made it so that there was a set of menus with sub-menus above (File, Edit, etc.) that you could easily click "Open" to find your BRSAR.

Top Bottom