• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bring Back Philly, Round 3! - June 23rd, 2013 - Glenside, PA

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
BRING BACK PHILLY

All fees have been reduced!

This is mostly a copy/paste from the last tournament. Anything in this thread is subject to change if it allows for a better turnout.

111 S. Easton Rd.
Glenside, PA 19038

The Philadelphia area never seems to have any regular tournaments; so lets try and keep this thing going! The venue owner really wants to start running regular SSBM tournaments, and if you want the same, then we need you to show interest.

Setups:

The venue owner has boxes full of Gamecubes and Wii's, and around 3-6 Tube TV's along with 1 that I can bring. So we really need copies of Melee with memory cards and some more TV's. I know you guys can pull through with this, the more setups we can get the better!

Travel Info:

There's a Municipal parking lot right around the corner on Bickley Rd, which is the street behind the building.

For anyone that wants to take the subway/train, the venue is right across the street from the Glenside Train Station.

Date:

June 23, 2013

Price:

Venue fee: $5
Singles: $10
Doubles: $20 ($10 per person)

Schedule:

Setup and Friendlies - (10:30AM - 12:00PM)
Registration - (12:00PM - 1:00PM)
Doubles Start ~ (1:30PM)
Singles registration closes and Singles Pools Start ~ (3:00PM)
We finish when we can, but preferably earlier than 11:30PM.

Payouts:

Note: Just like last time, the shop owner has offered to throw in some extra prizes as a way to kickstart this into potential monthlies.

Singles

Under 10 Entrants
1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%
MorningThunder cries himself to sleep that no one showed up

10-19 Entrants
1st Place: 50%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 10%

20+ Entrants
1st Place: 45%
5th Place: 5%

Doubles

8-10 teams
1st Place: 55%
2nd Place: 30%

10+ teams
1st place: 50%
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 15%
4th place: 10%

Rules:

Official Melee Ruleset 2012
Jungle Japes is banned
Wobbling is permitted up to 300%
All known freeze glitches are banned
Pools are Best 2/3
Bracket is all Best 2/3 until semis which is Best 3/5
There will be an Amateur Bracket for entrants that lose in pools or the first round, and there will be a prize given to the winner of this bracket.

From here I'm still tossing some ideas around. I'd like to throw in some extra counterpick stages and I'm open for input. Also, tell me if you guys need anymore information and I'll try to keep updating accordingly.

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
Is there any chance we can change the payout structure for this next one?

Note that my guiding philosophies for these ideas are:
  • More people getting a prize of at least their money back makes for a more thrilling tournament, and as a local, this offers a great opportunity for people to get their first ever tournament prize.
  • The marginal value of prize money is extremely diminishing. A person winning 10% instead of 0% is much happier than a person winning 55% instead of 45%
  • Top heavy payouts incentivize people like M2K to come and take all of out money. At the last tournament, M2K and Hax left with a combined 81.52% of the prize pool (75% of doubles and 85% of singles) Only 8.7% of the prize pool stayed in the state of PA.
[I just want to mention that the typical 1st prize in StarCraft tournaments is 40%.]

For doubles: under 10 teams shouldn't have a 3rd prize unless the share is more than 10% (or else they're getting less than their buy-in back)
For under 10 teams, could we make it:
3rd Place: 20%
or
1st Place: 66.7%
2nd Place: 33.3%

and for 10+ teams
is still good, but we could even do 50/25/15/10, which is what I would prefer.

For Singles
You have 50/25/15/10 For only 32+ entrants, but really, we that would work for as few as 10, with 4th place getting their money back, and definitely at 20, with 4th place doubling their money.
Did anyone see Hax vs DaShizWhiz at Zenith? It was sick! If you haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNdw5swbPWc
Anyways, that was the 5th/6th place match. Zenith didn't post their payouts, but I really liked that bonus match of the 2 people who lost in losers quarters. You could do this with a 45/25/15/10/5 payout. KTAR, which is happening in July, is even going to pay out top 6. Their prize breakdown is
1st: 46%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 13%
4th: 9%
5th/6th: 5%
Which could work for us as well.

I also think that it would be useful to put in a disclaimer "These percentages represent an approximate share of the prize pool. For the sake of rounding, availability of exact change, etc. I reserve the right to change any of these values by +/-2% (additive)
  • I put this on here, because if we, for example, get 7 teams in doubles, none of these examples are going to work, and we should do something like $36/$20/$14 which is actually 51.4%/28.6%/20% instead of 50%/30%/20%, but makes more sense.
Lastly, I understand that your prize breakdowns are based on number of rounds, while mine are based on increments of 10. It makes sense to have the rewards based on the number of rounds, but I think that it is simpler to say that we'll play out Xth place as long as they would get at least their money back.
If I were to draw it up, I would say:

Singles

Under 10 Entrants
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 20%
MorningThunder cries himself to sleep that no one showed up

10-19 Entrants

20+ Entrants
1st Place: 45%
5th Place: 5%

Doubles

Under 10 teams

10+ teams
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 15%
4th place: 10%

Note: These percentages represent an approximate share of the prize pool. For the sake of rounding, availability of exact change, etc. I reserve the right to change any of these values by +/-2% (additive)

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
Oh, this is very important! Update it to tell people NOT to park in the PNC lot because they recently started towing, the municipal lot is almost as close, only across the street, and parking costs only 25 cents per 3 hours, so $1 is more than enough for all day, but make sure you have some quarters.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Maybe this time we can successfully run a Project M side event?

PB&J

Smash Hero
I'm bringing a carpool for this! This will probably be my last of this tourney series since I'm probably moving to Seattle really soon and I'm not free in July.

edit - this is mew2king

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
I'm bringing a carpool for this! This will probably be my last of this tourney series since I'm probably moving to Seattle really soon and I'm not free in July.

edit - this is mew2king

Are you guys are going to Xanadu on Saturday and then this on Sunday? Sounds like a fun weekend!

1stCyberWarrior

Smash Rookie
The last two were just melee and this one is 95% likely to be just melee. What game were you hoping for?
Brawl, I have more experience with it. Going regardless, assuming I can get a ride, but I would enjoy brawl being present in some way.

Chroma

Smash Apprentice
Not 100% since driving from the shore might be a nightmare, but I can bring a melee setup (sans TV) if needed.

iBeRussian

Smash Rookie
If you can set up Brawl then I, along with a friend of mine, would definitely be able to attend. Otherwise I don't know if I'll go.

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
Due to the interest in Project M, I am highly considering running a Project M side event as well. All we need is Wii's with Project M! This time I won't be such a schmuck and I'll try and keep everything moving.

P.S. Brawl guys, you are not forgotten. I honestly don't think there is enough room to have both games running at the same time in this venue; the place is pretty packed as it is with just Melee. However, if you want there to be monthlies for Brawl I can definitely help set it up for you. I'm lookin' at you Xzax :cool: if you stop by on Sunday we can discuss this more.

I've made a few changes to the thread as per request by Vorosh. Your arguments have their merits and I have heeded your words.

If there's anything else you guys need, I'd be more than happy to accommodate. I hope to see you all on Sunday!

Tyler Durden

Smash Rookie
I would love to see brawl happen. I would be much more inclined to come monthly if it included brawl, but I will probably show up regardless.

If necessary for brawl, I could bring a Wii and Wii U with all brawl characters unlocked with controllers.

iBeRussian

Smash Rookie
At very least, if a Brawl tournament cant be set up, can one tv be hooked up with Brawl just for friendly matches? I could bring the Wii/Brawl/controllers.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
I'll be there for singles. I can bring a wii with PM but my melee copy doesn't have the save files so I would need to copy them from somebody. But I would love to have a PM tourney. Charizard forever. lol

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Can someone bring an extra Brawl disc? I have two Wiis with PMcards but only one Brawl.

Top Bottom