• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking into the scene

Mayday93

Smash Rookie
NNID
b00m
3DS FC
0576-4852-3964
Maybe some backstory is in order. I've played Smash, in its various iterations, for the majority of my life. Only now, as I'm about to graduate from college, have I really begun to look into competitive play. I got the new Sm4sh, and no matter what I did, it just didn't scratch the surface of the faster, more aggressive style of Melee. Since I'm pretty new here, I wanted to ask some advice from the community. Where would be a good place to start? I don't have immediate access to the game outside of my friends (a problem I am working to remedy), but if I was going to work my way into the scene, his should I start? How do I decide on a main? Where should I go for information?
Thanks everyone!

atzero

Smash Cadet
If you have a decent grahpics card, you can play melee over the internet. Same with project M. Highly recommended. http://www.smashladder.com/netplay

As for a main, just pick your favorite character. Does Ganon tickle you pink? Then play Ganon. Dont worry about the tier list until maybe a couple years from now when you now have 2000 hours of game time into Ganon, and you are starting to really see some of his hard limits. If you cant make it to a regional tournament quarter finals, the tier list does not begin to matter.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Just a correction up there, netplay depends more on the CPU.

Netplay is certainly a great way to play if you don't have people around you. Definitely look into setting that up.

Join your Facebook group for your area and look for some people around you to play with. Pick whatever character you find fun, and stick to that character. Try to master it. There's a lot of information in the character boards that you can find useful. Just get a lot of practice.

Jolteon92

Smash Rookie
Looking for people in UK/Europe to play netplay melee with cause of less ping/buffer, add me on skype if you're interested (kaibot345)

You could try playing Smash 4 online (ideally with a LAN adapter to reduce lag) to get some practice in a Smash game. Melee has very similar controls and mechanics so there'll be a lot of skill overlap

Mayday93

Smash Rookie
NNID
b00m
3DS FC
0576-4852-3964
Netplay is a good option for melee. Just make sure you have good specs or the lag will be too much
But how do you play on a computer with no controller port? Or do they make usb GameCube controllers?

Mayday93

Smash Rookie
NNID
b00m
3DS FC
0576-4852-3964
Thanks! I'll look into it. I don't have a great computer setup, but I'm going to be purchasing a desktop (hopefully) soon!

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
As far as picking a main goes, I recommend trying nearly every character. You can't know that you don't like a char if you don't try them. Just mess around with SHFFLs and movement to see if you enjoy playing the char. But just starting with your favorite is always a good way to go too. That's why I play Falcon.

Cool

Smash Journeyman
It's good to try a lot of the characters, but I do highly recommend you start with a "viable" character. Things will be much easier to pick up and you'll have much more resources for learning.

Top Bottom