• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breakdown of Punish Game on Fox

Dr. Cannon

Smash Rookie
Is there any place that has a good breakdown of the punish game versus fox like what is guaranteed an what is not at which percents? I have the most trouble with platform techchases. This is what my current understanding is. I'm not sure of everything, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
To dash attack techchase, you dash dance between where they land and their tech roll in distance. If they tech in, tech in place, or miss the tech, you can react with dash attack. If they tech away, you can either read it with a dash attack or float an aerial towards them and pressure them. Sometimes I stickywalk to sort of slow myself down and delay the dash attack because I feel like it sometimes helps give me the right hitbox. If all goes according to plan eventually they either land on a platform, or they get popped high enough for a grab. At low percents they can crouch cancel tech the dash attack, but if they get dsmashed their DI is not good (to say the least). For platform tech chases, you fulljump upair the tech in place and the missed tech, and regrab the tech roll. Not sure how guaranteed this is. I feel like sometimes you want to jump up to the platform and grab, but I'm not sure when and I'm not sure if it's best to dj land or waveland. After an upair, from highest percent to lowest, either nair, weak bair > nair, upair > weak bair > nair, or grab. With the upair, you don't want to hit them with the tip of the foot, but with the weaker inner part, but not the part that hits them sideways.
Off of a grab, best case scenario is chain grab. If they are under a platform at really low percents though, if you upthrow them they can crouch cancel the upair and you're screwed, so you should dthrow them and try to dash attack techchase (I think?). At slightly higher percents if they crouch cancel the upair, they will get knocked down, so you can still follow up. If they are at even higher percents it's a normal platform techchase like from a dash attack (still not sure how guaranteed the followups are). If the grab is on top of a platform, if they DI to the top platform, you jump up there (in some manner, not sure what's best) and grab or nair or dash attack or something. If they DI off stage, you can either read that with fthrow, or dash attack or nair or something. Not sure if there's always a followup.

Dr. Cannon

Smash Rookie
Actually, I think to cover tech roll after dash attacking fox to a platform, you have to dash dance under the platform and wait to see which way they go. You can't do it on reaction. A lot of times I find myself upairing the fox's shield because I'm too slow. For that I should make sure to space it so I'm far away from their attack out of shield. Also, off of a grab on a stage with platforms at mid percents, Armada will go for SH upair, with the side hitbox and go for a platform techchase.

Top Bottom