• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Tourney Rules, whats a good compromise?

tsilver33

Smash Ace
Alright, so I'm going to be kind of co-hosting a small local tourney soon, at a local library. Problem is, the main host who works there (And therefore, gets the final say.), is kind of taking the normal rules and throwing them out the window. There are good reasons, listed below. But I would still like the tourney to come out with the best player on top. At worst, the first tourney will be a let down and perhaps we can compromise a bit more when he sees the randomness of some of the rules.

Alright, first issue. It's only a thirty-two player tourney, so we only have four stations. He suggested starting with a four player free for all and playing a round or two to 'rank' players for a single/double elimination tourney. Problem? First of all it's a free for all, second of all it's a timed match, not stock. :dizzy:

Second issue. Even when we get down to single/double elimination matches, he still wants them to be timed. His reasoning is a three minute timer in a two player match is the same as whoever knocks out the other player the most is the winner. I kind of agree, but this mainly brings up the problem of Sudden death if they tie. How do we handle this?

Third and probably the biggest issue. Items. He's agreed to turn the smashball off but I'm trying to convince him to turn at least the worst ones off, if not turn them all off entirely. I'm going to refer him to the list we have on the site of the items considered 'fair'. I know it's around here somewhere.

Forth issue, he wants the only stage to be FD. That's fair because we can only have a single round of play per match (Best of one.) because of time restraints, so no Counter picking, but I would still think having atleast all the neutral stages would be the best option.

The reason for all of this is that because it's in a small public library, time is a major issue. It can only take a few hours, and he thinks this is the best ruleset to be run in such a short amount of time. Any suggestions on how to convince him otherwise?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Sounds a little pointless, if you can't get it to at least 1v1 stock with items off you might as well throw up your hands and be done with the matter.

Or doubles, doubles might be a good compromise.

Anyway, with a two minute DQ rule....

16 matches first round, 10 minutes, so 40 minutes for first round max, 20 for second, and 10 for the last 3, that gets you an hour and a half for a single elimination, 3 hours for a double elimination. Run it as doubles you're getting 45 minutes or an hour and a half for double elimination. 2:15 for teams, single elimination with counterpicks.

Yeah... using one of those rulesets, you could definitely do it, and in the later stages of rounds you'll have TVs free for friendlies.

tsilver33

Smash Ace
Thanks for the input. I'll talk to him about it and see what he thinks. The time is especially important and I think I've put together a good argument now. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom