• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Thread: Custom Stage Discussion

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Alright,
Just to let people know, GHNeko and I have been working behind the scenes for a bit now to get a well ordered stage pack together . It is going to be awesome. We will love your suggested stages and such, but I would request that you save them for when the official topic for the project is created along with the first release (this way all the suggestions/submissions will be tidily kept in the project topic), which should be soon :-)

It would be great if someone could direct us to a person who knows how to manually edit the maps to make slanted edges grabable or to make the pieces offset by half a unit.

Keep posted, this will be awesome!

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ya'll thought ya'll was gonna get off easy about custom stages? Naaww. I'll be on all ya'll *****. You'll see me fightin for this in Episode 4 of the B+ podcast. ;D

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I like this idea, but won't we have an influx of hundreds of stages? I'd recommend only about 10 stages accepted. But how are we going to do this, when one of the Beta codes is DISABLE CUSTOM STAGES?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I like this idea, but won't we have an influx of hundreds of stages? I'd recommend only about 10 stages accepted. But how are we going to do this, when one of the Beta codes is DISABLE CUSTOM STAGES?
1.3a File replacement disables codes. 2.1 (which I have and which is going to be used for future Betas) does not disable custom stages. So get *****.

And so what? Me and TCG are managing all this. So it will be okay.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
1.3a File replacement disables codes. 2.1 (which I have and which is going to be used for future Betas) does not disable custom stages. So get *****.

And so what? Me and TCG are managing all this. So it will be okay.
Uh.....Anyways....

OK! Great! I have a good course for you, called Sparta! Now I just need a good place to host the file...:dizzy:

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Smash World Forums has a stage browser you can submit to (link is at the top banner when you hover over "Connect")

http://supersmashbros.ign.com/ also has a nice place to submit stages and find others (it works better than SWF stage browser, IMO)

And "All is Brawl" also has a nice stage browser, seen at http://allisbrawl.com/stages/browse.aspx

Any off those would work well. Alternatively, if you're crazy and don't want to use those, make a Mediafire.com account and add them there (it's a fantastic website for hosting any files).

We're going to use discretion on what stages will make it and what won't, and we may even take the freedom to slightly tweak stages if they need it. Don't worry about there being too many stages ;-)

Metatitan

Smash Master
so is it possible to use texture hacks ON custom stages to make them look not ugly? or does texture hack always mean insta-disabled custom stages

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
We've gotta be careful to do things right the first time if we want this working.

Let it be known that the whole ensemble from SSB has been remade. Select Melee stages will also be remade. These won't necessarily be included in the first stage pack (which is meant to be a base pack, a starter pack, with the stages that are no-brainers for tournament inclusion).

We're also experimenting with how we can make the stages look unique and interesting. Custom textures really aren't an option.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
so is it possible to use texture hacks ON custom stages to make them look not ugly? or does texture hack always mean insta-disabled custom stages
Yeeep. But GL with that. Lulz.

MANGOLAND RETURNS!
And I hope the ramps on Peach's Castle keep people from dying all the time. :)
Yeep, but the ramps need a slight repositioning and then it wins. It even has the moving slab through the stage. :3

Metatitan

Smash Master
i was fumbling through my old custom stages and i found one that i made through hax, and it might be a nice neutral. it doesnt look completely ugly, its kinda like dreamland 64 but different (ull see). it doesnt have a name or music (the music was default on f zero) so tell me what u think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8_juSE9IeM&feature=channel_page

i was just floating around to show the stage and the cpu decided to attack me. not a good choice on its part

JCentavo

Smash Cadet
I made an awesome Hyrule Castle from Smash Bros, ages ago.
I'd be happy to share it for Brawl+, but I don't have a camera to take a picture of it...
Would anyone play on the stage and snapshot it if I upload it?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Hyrule Castle, eh? This custom stage concept is BRILLIANT. I want to consider having a stage like Yoshi's Story, but that won't happen unless someone can modify the stage to have the slants like ledges.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Hyrule Castle, eh? This custom stage concept is BRILLIANT. I want to consider having a stage like Yoshi's Story, but that won't happen unless someone can modify the stage to have the slants like ledges.
i know i love this idea. i can see why the b+ pple might not wanna do it tho, itd lead to mabey too much choice or mabey it would just be too complicated for them to do. regardless, adding an extra 10-15 stages cant hurt

PizzaBoy

Smash Cadet
As the first person to ever hack custom stages, I can offer my services in remaking SSB/M maps.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8152/supersmashbrothersbrawlfx8.png
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8049/supersmashbrothersbrawlbp2.png

As you can see, I mastered the art of 'stretching' and 'shrinking' to make brand new pieces you normally cannot create (even with the current version of the pc editor). Although I cannot remember off the top of my head how to do it, I believe I can rediscover the method easily.

The pictured map can be downloaded here:
http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=zipdownload&fileid=57646&filename=st/st_zone4.bin

It should be noted I am not an expert brawl player, and I am not familiar with any 'tournament' related terms.

I'll probably forget to return to this post to check it. I can be contacted at mafruendt at msn dot com.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, Pizzaboy, I didn't know if you were still into the stage hacking. It's really cool to see you offering your services. We would definitely appreciate it as we can't get certain stages quite as we would like them to be.

I'm a fan of the hard work you did at the Odd Man Out forums.

I will hopefully be in contact with you soon. There's work to be done :-)

PizzaBoy

Smash Cadet
You are very lucky, I found my old notebook that I wrote random things down in while hacking. Most of it is just random addresses with no labels, but I believe one of them is the 'master address' of the parts list where I did my size hacking.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Oh great. Now we're going to have to delay the release of the stage packs so we can make AWESOME stages.

Piazza boy, you are ****ing spectacular beyond belief. You've just opened up so many possibilities for ideas, remakes, and so much more.

I believe I'm going to go change my gender to female so that I may proceeed in having your children. <3

PizzaBoy

Smash Cadet
Haha, before that happens I have to explain the limits of what I can and can't do, which I shall do in a rather lengthy post tomorrow (it is a bit late to be thinking heavily right now). Plus I actually have to dig through all this stuff and re-learn it all. I knew I should have wrote everything down in detail somewhere...

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Pizzaboy, I look forward to learning the limits of your (our) capabilities.

Gennie, I know for a fact that vertical flipping is not possible, much to the chagrin of hackers.

And Metatitan, save your stages for the official topic. We're a bit busy putting together the first set before we can do the next one which will include user submitted content. This topic is simply to help prepare for the project. We appreciate suggestions for the project, expressed interest in the project, and even requests for stage remakes in the topic.

PizzaBoy

Smash Cadet
Perhaps we can talk on aim or msn?
Aim: SCUPizzaBoy
Msn: mafruendt at msn dot com

Note to random people reading this: Don't message me without reason or be blocked.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
In light of PizzaBoy's recent involvement, the Stage Pack will be seeing a delayed release so we can fully utilize our new stagebuilding capabilities, and even impliment an absolutely delicious surprise finding that'll speak for itself.

In the meantime, we are looking for help. We need someone who is good at using photoshop and making things to assist us in designing images and signature banners used to promote the project.

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
In light of PizzaBoy's recent involvement, the Stage Pack will be seeing a delayed release so we can fully utilize our new stagebuilding capabilities, and even impliment an absolutely delicious surprise finding that'll speak for itself.

In the meantime, we are looking for help. We need someone who is good at using photoshop and making things to assist us in designing images and signature banners used to promote the project.
I can probably help with photoshop stuff.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
how do i make teh stretch ???

As you can see, I mastered the art of 'stretching' and 'shrinking' to make brand new pieces you normally cannot create (even with the current version of the pc editor). Although I cannot remember off the top of my head how to do it, ]I believe I can rediscover the method easily.

wait, WHAT, you forgot? wtf, how the **** did you forget?

please try to remember this will make it alot easier to recreate old stages.
*left side slant of hyrule 64 anyone?*

pro tip for making stages.
-3 blocks high for small stages to get a fair kill height
-5 blocks high for medium stages to get a fair kill height
large stages = un-playable

i have new stages, lots of them. They're decent, godly compared to what i usually see up-loaded.
http://allisbrawl.com/stages/stages.aspx?aid=29588
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7830/cagestagehigh.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6834/cagestagelow2.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2346/cagesmallconcept.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2853/asdasdjda.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5242/cagestagelow.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9234/sidecage.jpg

the pictures won't load on AIB due to them having awesome HAX spawn points! (not all my stages have that cage theme, just those won't load up.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Alright, sorry about the lack of updates or responses as of late. GHNeko has been busying himself with other personal projects while I tackle the joys of 18 credits of school in the final two weeks of a college semester.

Teronist09, basically what we'd love to see from you are ideas for designs for a project logo. Unfortunately, we have yet to finalize on a project name. We have two possible names for the projects:

A.) "Brawl Community Stage Packs"
B.) "Smash Community Stage Packs"

Which do you guys think sounds better/is more appropriate?

As for Pizzaboy and his ability to stretch stage pieces in unconventional ways (seriously, he's a contortionist among stage builders), it's fully revived. Worry not about that. To achieve the stretching he uses a USBGecko and modifies values as he's building to my knowledge.

With his help we are recreating past stages in ways that cannot be achieved without stretching. Our Hyrule Castle stage, for example, ***** every other Hyrule castle remake ever, as you'll see in not too long.

Currently, we are play testing the finalized layouts for the 5 stages that'll be in the first stage pack--making slight adjustments, and moving in to make final aesthetic touches for these stages.

Once again, we are ignoring submissions at the moment. Once the first stage pack is released the project will be opened up to the community.

To clarify on Zodac's advice, I'd point out that in any stage building attempt for this project you should attempt to space the main platform of the stage (generally the largest part) 5 units from the ceiling. This will give it the exact same ceiling as Battlefield, Final Destination, and plenty of other stages for Brawl. It is the standard ceiling height. You can test this with jigglypuff in vanilla Brawl. Go to training mode against Bowser, and set Bowser's damage at 74%. Hit him with rest while he is standing on the main platform. He just barely won't die. Now set his damage at 75%, that once percent makes the difference and Bowser will die off the ceiling. I like to call this the 75% Rest Test, and with it you can confirm that most of Brawl's stages (especially the neutrals) have the exact same ceiling height.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
You better wait.

Also, my personal vendettas really arent that important. rofl.

Bug me more on AIM for Stage testing so we can finish this faster. I want these stages ready for SWAT on the 23rd. :3

Top Bottom