• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Prevented from the MLG Floor

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I read this and figured Nintendo would rather be represented by melee than brawl. Something tells me they also worry slightly that Brawl will do to Smash4 what Melee has done since it came out, and that would be splitting the game's appeal between the differences in the games.

But All in all, I interpret this as nintendo wanting Smash 4 to make a grander showing than Brawl by de-hyping the previous game. IMO this is a bummer for brawl fans, but acceptable for those looking to bring SSB4 to the big stage down the road.
That doesn't make any sense though. More smash games mean more hype for the next smash bros game. Brawl may be a... Quirky game, but the fanbase is strong, and playing brawl just shows that fans are excited to play smash regardless of what game it is.

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
Blah blah blah Melee rocks.

Blah blah blah Brawl sucks.

Blah blah blah join as a community guys.

... And there we go. Smash community in a nutshell.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Blah blah blah Melee rocks.

Blah blah blah Brawl sucks.

Blah blah blah join as a community guys.

... And there we go. Smash community in a nutshell.
SO sad that we have so many internal conflicts with each other and then the other FGCs barely have these serious of beefs with each other.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I'm not here to shoot bullets. But I heard that a match in braw takes time until a winner is declared, (well I don't know this is truthfully correct by the fact that I never played Brawl competitively)... and in melee its accepted because its faster? I don't know...

Last edited:

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
I suspect Melee made it to MLG and not Brawl because it's far more spectator-friendly. Melee tourneys also typically get a higher attendance than Brawl, not to mention Melee's view record at EVO.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
All you Melee fans making the Smash community look like indecisive and constant bickering children. As a Smash fan, yes I like all 4, I don't understand why there HAS to be bashing from the Melee end. People 64 could easily call Melee lack of true 0-deaths, less combos in general and other things, but no they don't. You know why? They have respect. Melee fans start to sound like immature children when they bash another game without noticing the flaws in their game as well. I would ask for all the communities to band with each other, but know the Melee people would ruin it and say they are of the superior breed. Be a Smash lover, not a specific game lover.

Djent

Smash Champion
I hope this succeeds, but I suspect Brawl players will have to make it happen on their own. This community is not "One Unit," contrary to all wishful thinking, and as evidenced by the ****heads who are only here to undercut other peoples' effort. I think you guys can do it if you really want to, but it's going to take better TOing and promotion from the prominent Brawl guys. As of now, Brawl tournaments aren't as well advertised outside of Smashboards (for instance, does SRK ever link to a Brawl-only event? They do it for Melee all the time). Not only that, but they frequently have time issues (Apex 2014 and WC SSS come to mind). It's going to take hard work (beyond just spamming #FreeSSBB on Twitter lol), but I think you guys know that already and are willing to put that work in.

I say all of this as someone who doesn't even enjoy watching Brawl singles anymore (doubles is pretty cool, though). I just hate to see people not get to do the things they enjoy. Especially when there are other people living their dream who are trying to discourage you from doing the same. I hated it when Brawl players did it to Melee fans years ago, and I hate it now that the shoe is on the other foot.

TL;DR: Brawl fans get busy, the rest of you **** off.

I feel like a lot of the people here are the kind of people who wouldn't attend their brother's wedding because they heard a marriage joke on TV and now they're like, "Marriage? LOL! I know you want to be all happy and all but marriage sucks, not attending, see ya on the FLOP side~"

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I hope this succeeds, but I suspect Brawl players will have to make it happen on their own. This community is not "One Unit," contrary to all wishful thinking, and as evidenced by the ****heads who are only here to undercut other peoples' effort. I think you guys can do it if you really want to, but it's going to take better TOing and promotion from the prominent Brawl guys. As of now, Brawl tournaments aren't as well advertised outside of Smashboards (for instance, does SRK ever link to a Brawl-only event? They do it for Melee all the time). Not only that, but they frequently have time issues (Apex 2014 and WC SSS come to mind). It's going to take hard work (beyond just spamming #FreeSSBB on Twitter lol), but I think you guys know that already and are willing to put that work in.

I say all of this as someone who doesn't even enjoy watching Brawl singles anymore (doubles is pretty cool, though). I just hate to see people not get to do the things they enjoy. Especially when there are other people living their dream who are trying to discourage you from doing the same. I hated it when Brawl players did it to Melee fans years ago, and I hate it now that the shoe is on the other foot.

TL;DR: Brawl fans get busy, the rest of you **** off.
This is actually really accurate and probably the best course of action imo. :)

Last edited:

Zone

Smash Champion
All you Melee fans making the Smash community look like indecisive and constant bickering children. As a Smash fan, yes I like all 4, I don't understand why there HAS to be bashing from the Melee end. People 64 could easily call Melee lack of true 0-deaths, less combos in general and other things, but no they don't. You know why? They have respect. Melee fans start to sound like immature children when they bash another game without noticing the flaws in their game as well. I would ask for all the communities to band with each other, but know the Melee people would ruin it and say they are of the superior breed. Be a Smash lover, not a specific game lover.
Um.. I respect brawl players for liking brawl even though I was so upset with brawl, I threw my copy in the micro-wave.

But don't tell me what I have to like, or have to support. I don't support Brawl because I don't want another game like that ever again from nintendo's future. And If I play middle ground good guy and act like all is merry for me. I will NEVER get what I want out of smash.

I RESPECT that a brawl player likes brawl.

I like Resident Evil 6, a game constantly crapped on by people. But I don't tell people who hate the direction to shut up and love it. I want them to speak their opinions, if they stayed as happy as I was with it, capcom wouldn't be trying to "make the 7th one scary"

I appreciate any brawl players who helped melee get to where it is out of the kindness of their heart, but I HATE brawl. So I will not support it.

Sorry.

Djent

Smash Champion
There are venues where I'm for people voicing negative opinions; for example, I despise enforced positivity in open discussions. But that's because those are contexts where negativity is actually valuable. In case you guys haven't figured it out yet, now is not one of those times. This is not a debate of a game's merits; this is a rallying call for a dwindling community.

If people used the #FreeSSBM hashtag to talk about their issues with Melee, you'd consider that a **** move, no? Even if some of them actually had good points, they'd be choosing a poor venue to complain. And even though they'd be within their Twittering rights, they'd still be rightfully despised. Because someone else's constructive efforts shouldn't be your dumping ground for unhelpful complaints, especially when those comments do nothing to help and could possibly be hurtful.

If we were discussing the merits of certain game mechanics, then I'd say go for it. Put Brawl on blast. But we're not doing that, so I don't get why we have to hear the Sakurai Failed Us speech for the 235,894th time. This is about people who enjoy Brawl in spite of its flaws encouraging like-minded people to join them. So no one can hide behind the pretense that they're contributing to a meaningful discussion if they're just here to be negative.

Last edited:

Zone

Smash Champion
If people used the #FreeSSBM hashtag to talk about their issues with Melee, you'd consider that a **** move, no? Even if some of them actually had good points, they'd be choosing a poor venue to complain.
No i wouldn't consider that a douche move. If they have issue with why SSBM should not be represented, that's actually a good time to mention it IMO. Rather than wait until it's officially let in.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Haha all the butthurt Brawl players. Look guys it's because when smash 4 comes out you're all going to drop Brawl. It will be a better game anyway. Nintendo realizes that Melee is a different breed, that kind of depth is not in their scope of what they're trying to make currently so they let us have our Melee, which by the way is like 15 years overdue. They want to make the smash with the most money not something that's hype when you play 1 vs 1. Enjoy playing your Brawl 2 while we're at MLG and Evo. :)
This post in particular is cute.

First of all, you say "depth" as if everything in Melee was intended by Sakurai and his team. Let me be the first to burst your bubble and tell you it's not. Melee being a "different breed" is also horridly placed, as a descriptor to what you think Nintendo realizes. Roughly most, if not all, of what makes Melee what it is to you and other Melee fanboys are the gross amount of abused mechanics and glitches in the game.

You have Melee, because it was born on a system with no online support, or patching capabilities. That's why there hasn't been a "Melee 2", because the first one was a bunch of glitches, hence why Brawl has been hacked to bits and pieces to replicate Melee and give you P:M. If Melee were capable of being patched by Sakurai and team, you get Brawl.

Like they say, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

Melee = Unintentional "Advanced Techniques"/Glitches
P:M = Intentional "Advanced Techniques"/Glitches*

*=Hacks were required.

Last edited:

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
My thoughts exactly. As for Nintendo's actions I wish brawl would get one more moment in the spotlight. Smasher first. PM player second. #freessbb

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
You know what should be at MLG? Super Smash Bros. No, not Melee. No, not PM. And no, not Brawl. I'm talking about the original Smash. We are the long forgotten child. Forsaken from the spotlight. We are treated as mere side event scum hoping that we may be blessed with a spot in a tournament's lineup, and maybe – just maybe – blessed with stream time. When people see our game, people don't even know that there's Z-cancelling. This is a travesty. So I say to you Brawlers, that while you may have not been included in MLG's lineup this year, just know that 64, the forgotten child, has always had it a lot worse. Despite this, we will continue playing our little game by ourselves on whatever damn small corner a TO has assigned us to. Check your video game privilege.
Why not all four? I'm open to that, I enjoy watching all of them. I enjoy playing three of them, can you guess what those are?

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
You know what should be at MLG? Super Smash Bros. No, not Melee. No, not PM. And no, not Brawl. I'm talking about the original Smash. We are the long forgotten child. Forsaken from the spotlight. We are treated as mere side event scum hoping that we may be blessed with a spot in a tournament's lineup, and maybe – just maybe – blessed with stream time. When people see our game, people don't even know that there's Z-cancelling. This is a travesty. So I say to you Brawlers, that while you may have not been included in MLG's lineup this year, just know that 64, the forgotten child, has always had it a lot worse. Despite this, we will continue playing our little game by ourselves on whatever damn small corner a TO has assigned us to. Check your video game privilege.
Why not all four? I'm open to that, I enjoy watching all of them. I enjoy playing three of them, can you guess what those are?

LEG0

Smash Rookie
Playing competitive smash I love Melee and PM. But brawl was my first smash game and the reason I love all the smash games so much.
#FREESSBB

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Hmmm... Oh, damn. Sorry I can't believe I've been misinformed all of this time. Here, let me fix my clocks and set it back to 2008. Clearly I'm in the wrong timeline since we're still ****ting on Brawl. Or was it 2009?

Wait. It's 2014? Really? ... Seriously?

--

On a serious note, it'd be cool to see Brawl represented at MLG, but as a whole? Just seeing Smash Bros. represented in eSports is an accomplishment in of itself. I'm proud of that! If we get Melee, we get Melee. If Brawl happens? Cool. If not? Well we're still in there for Smash!

--

Okay back to--SERIOUSLY?! It's 2014 and we're still ripping Brawl a new one? Grow the hell up, people. /cranky. time for bed. z z z/

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
People watch MLG, they expect to see something exciting. Brawl may be fun for the people that play it and thats great for you all. but it doesnt deserve a place boring everyone on the MLG circuit. Its just not interesting to watch for someone who doesnt know what is going on.
well to be fair, it applies to both Melee & Brawl.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Haha all the butthurt Brawl players. Look guys it's because when smash 4 comes out you're all going to drop Brawl. It will be a better game anyway. Nintendo realizes that Melee is a different breed, that kind of depth is not in their scope of what they're trying to make currently so they let us have our Melee, which by the way is like 15 years overdue. They want to make the smash with the most money not something that's hype when you play 1 vs 1. Enjoy playing your Brawl 2 while we're at MLG and Evo. :)
as long as Ninty makes smash, there'll be a chance that Melee will be the SF2 of a future SF4. You think Team Liquid got Ken and KDJ to be kings of Melee again? I say they are prepping Ken & KDJ for Smash4 already.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is not worthy of the MLG arena

It would merely dishonour the sands

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Brawl is not worthy of the MLG arena

It would merely dishonour the sands
It's bad trolls like you that are the reason for this unnecessary rift between Brawl players and Melee players.

Melee's been out for 14 years, yet some of the heavy supporters of it, act far younger.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
It's bad trolls like you that are the reason for this unnecessary rift between Brawl players and Melee players.

Melee's been out for 14 years, yet some of the heavy supporters of it, act far younger.
I do not troll. I speak my honest opinion.
And the reason a rift between Brawl and Melee exists, is because of the disappointment when Brawl was released.
And the reason nobody wants to see it at MLG, is because nobody wants to see people camping eachother out.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I do not troll. I speak my honest opinion.
And the reason a rift between Brawl and Melee exists, is because of the disappointment when Brawl was released.
And the reason nobody wants to see it at MLG, is because nobody wants to see people camping eachother out.
For it to be your opinion, you sure are including a lot of people in your generalized post.

Brawl was an upset, not a dissapointment. It's managed to outlive a lot of salty predictions that claim it wouldn't make it far. Also, it's primarily due to one character, that further makes Brawl for some players, bearable.

I don't want to sit and watch people playing in general, let alone, camping each other out. I didn't go to MLG to watch, I went to play, but when I did have nothing better to do than watch, didn't really see much camping. Nick Riddle vs. Ally was a fantastic match, as was Shaky vs. Tyrant, and some other very amazing sets.

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
I'm just gonna point this out... but I honestly think SSB4 will be more of a letdown than you guys think.

Nippo

Smash Cadet
THEy might not want brawl because that would open the flood gates to PM.
This sounds likely. They're probably worried about the potential for hacks to be used and something that Nintendo isn't okay with being shown on stream.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
This sounds likely. They're probably worried about the potential for hacks to be used and something that Nintendo isn't okay with being shown on stream.
woudlnt it be easier just to say no SD cards to be used in order to run the game? that would take out the worry of hacking. . .unless PM becomes a disc

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
For it to be your opinion, you sure are including a lot of people in your generalized post.

Brawl was an upset, not a dissapointment. It's managed to outlive a lot of salty predictions that claim it wouldn't make it far. Also, it's primarily due to one character, that further makes Brawl for some players, bearable.

I don't want to sit and watch people playing in general, let alone, camping each other out. I didn't go to MLG to watch, I went to play, but when I did have nothing better to do than watch, didn't really see much camping. Nick Riddle vs. Ally was a fantastic match, as was Shaky vs. Tyrant, and some other very amazing sets.
Keep telling yourself that.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
I don't like brawl and I don't care much for tourneys that host it. However with ssb4 about to come out and such, I do think that brawl should have one last big event. Because despite the fact that the game receives so much hate, and feels as if though it was made to be non-competative, there is still a community of smashers who ignored the criticism, and play this game at a high level.

Mr_Sweet

Smash Cadet
I think that people should really be looking at MLG for this one, honestly I can see why they wouldn't want Brawl at their event. It's like the kid who gets bullied all the time for being fat and unnattractive even though he has a nice personality. They feel bad for it but they don't want to represent it at their big event.

But in all seriousness, Brawl isn't fun to watch from someone who once played brawl but moved to melee. I got into melee BECAUSE I watched videos about it. Melee is fast paced, intense, comebacks happen often and the high tier matches are so hyped that I lose my **** while watching the stream. When people say "The general viewer won't find melee entertaining if they wouldn't find brawl entertaining" that's just flat out wrong. I've introduced competitive melee to multiple people and they were drawn in because of how fun it is to watch. You can be upset that Brawl isn't getting in, but don't lie to yourself and act like Melee doesn't deserve it more.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
"It's bad trolls like you that are the reason for this unnecessary rift between Brawl players and Melee players."

I don't agree with that. I believe it is some of the communitiy's inability to communicate and handle differences of opinion in ways that are healthy that creates a rift between us.

Last edited:

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
This post in particular is cute.

First of all, you say "depth" as if everything in Melee was intended by Sakurai and his team. Let me be the first to burst your bubble and tell you it's not. Melee being a "different breed" is also horridly placed, as a descriptor to what you think Nintendo realizes. Roughly most, if not all, of what makes Melee what it is to you and other Melee fanboys are the gross amount of abused mechanics and glitches in the game.

You have Melee, because it was born on a system with no online support, or patching capabilities. That's why there hasn't been a "Melee 2", because the first one was a bunch of glitches, hence why Brawl has been hacked to bits and pieces to replicate Melee and give you P:M. If Melee were capable of being patched by Sakurai and team, you get Brawl.

Like they say, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

Melee = Unintentional "Advanced Techniques"/Glitches
P:M = Intentional "Advanced Techniques"/Glitches*

*=Hacks were required.
Some mechanics were intended. L canceling was a glitch from 64; Masahiro kept that in melee. He also discovered wavedashing as well, and once again he kept that in melee. In smash 4 he intentionally made a "for glory" mode for competitive people to play in. He also aims for balance as stated in different interviews. So what's not to say that he aimed for melee to be competitive?

Top Bottom