• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online Tournament Thread--Registation closed, brackets made!

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
Tourney date:

Sunday, March 16th

This should give everyone to play the game a bit, get used to it, unlock a few characters, and swap friend codes. I was thinking of starting at 1:00 PACIFIC TIME.

So, here are the rules.

-1V1
-SINGLE elimination, best two of three
-Time limit eight minutes
-Items off, except Smash Ball. On this point I will not budge. It will stay on because it's a new aspect and large part of the game that deserves to be used.
-Four stock
-If you don't show, you're out. Be there!

Brackets: 1st Pool
{Thrull v Pirkid}
{Stace19 v Chumlord}
{TrueBlue23 v Attackstorm}
{Mikezor v Smashbro29}

2nd Pool
{Tutter v 6th Sense}
{JawHun v shizlee}
{Smash_SuperStar v Kitt}
{Arshen v SYC!}

3rd Pool
{xIxGummyBearxIx v Aeris}
{red6170 v Trophyhunter}
{verditude v Dither}
{Falco400 v Gannondorf4ever}

4th Pool
{Naota21t v NoNessNoProblem}
{cless-mint v Dubyah8r}
{MetaSonic64 v luis92}
{X-x-Dyce-x-X v Novus}

5th Pool
{Onichi v Crossjeremaiah}
{GreatClayMonkey v SushiemanX}
{Ridley22 v Valaan}
{Artist v Moonmonkey}

6th Pool
{Shadow312 v Skarm Bliss)
{00Elf v El Raspa}
{Macrofly v Twilight_Hero}
{FireWater v NDFighting Irish}

7th Pool
{Cynan Machae v Neo-X}
{Jekyll v Prince}
{Supa_Sonic v Maben}
{Rominati v Hoss}

8th Pool
{autobzooty v Sokz}
{Neft v Asbestoblatent}
{MFZ95 v Impulse346}
{Edde v Icraq}

Judging: There should be no need for judges. Don't lie. If there's a dispute, you'll fight again with a judge watching. It'll slow down the tourney and waste time, so just don't do it.

Prizes: Glory. Bragging rights. ("I won the first tournament!" "I came in second in the first tournament!" Et cetera.)

Sudden Death: NO SUDDEN DEATH. Time-ended matches will be determined by stock and then percentage. If stock is tied, pay attention to your percentage.

Stages and Characters: All Melee stages remain as they are now. I need someone who has played the game to PM me a list of banned, counter-pickable, and random-set stages.

All characters are allowed.

Glitches: Any dair hover glitches are allowed. Wall Bomber (still possible?) is allowed. The giant Jiggs on BoE...not so much. You get the idea.

AIM: AIM will be going on while the tournament is. This is for convenience purposes; i.e. to report the winner of a match, to start the matches, etc. If you have AIM, please inform NoNessNoProblem, who is handling most of the participant-related stuff, and for whom I am very grateful. Couldn't've done it without you, NNNP!

Back on track, if you don't have AIM, please get one ASAP.

Friend Codes: This could be a problem. We can't have more than 64 people in each individual friend list, yet there are 64 participants and four separate judges (who aren't participating). There's always the possibility that you'll fight someone who's not on your friend list, that you just couldn't fit. If this is the case, I propose you sign out, add them, and sign back in for the match. Suggestions?!?!?!?

If we want to start by 1:00, please be ready early. I will be on as soon as I am able. Once you have signed on, I should know, but this will only happen if I have your friend code. Please, please PM me both your Wii friend code and your Smash friend code ASAP.

That should be it. Please discuss and give me feedback.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
What's the cap on players? I say we keep it relatively small, like how about 25 with 5 pools of 5 player round-robin matches?

Also, we'll need to exchange Brawl friend codes, so if we make the number of competators INSANELY HUGE... this thing will never get done. The first major big online tourney is being taken under the wing of darkNES, so this should just be completely friendly and non-complicated.

Also for the problem with spectators, we should just start a match with 3 players (once we get out of round-robin rounds) and have the "judge" just commit suicide and theeeen start the match.

EDIT:
w00t! First Post! (I never get these)

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
What's the cap on players? I say we keep it relatively small, like how about 25 with 5 pools of 5 player round-robin matches?

Also, we'll need to exchange Brawl friend codes, so if we make the number of competators INSANELY HUGE... this thing will never get done. The first major big online tourney is being taken under the wing of darkNES, so this should just be completely friendly and non-complicated.

Also for the problem with spectators, we should just start a match with 3 players (once we get out of round-robin rounds) and have the "judge" just commit suicide and theeeen start the match.
Well...okay. Frankly, I trust that you know more about tourneys than me.

When's darkNES's tourney?

I guess you'll join this one, right? And I'll be the judge.

Listen up, everyone. Dyce has good advice here, so listen to him about this one. Of course, he forgot to say "First post" so maybe you shouldn't listen to him...

My 800th post...

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
I'd love to sign up for this, so add me in please.
You've been added. What'll you call yourself there?

I can be there when it starts but I have basketball game at 4:30. You think it will be over by then?
Probably, if we get started by 1:00. What'll you call yourself there?

You too Dyce. "SAG3"?

Sorry about the above post.

Zek

Smash Ace
Hahaha, I love that you've already picked the stages to ban based entirely on screenshots and Youtube videos...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Well...okay. Frankly, I trust that you know more about tourneys than me.

When's darkNES's tourney?

I guess you'll join this one, right? And I'll be the judge.

Listen up, everyone. Dyce has good advice here, so listen to him about this one. Of course, he forgot to say "First post" so maybe you shouldn't listen to him...

My 800th post...
I wouldn't say I know more about tourneys, considering I've only been to ONE and got my arse thoroughly handed to by Rhyme and Court.

Also, I think darkNES' tourney starts the day BEFORE yours does. lolz. Sorry about that, I'll send you a link so you can check it out for yourself and pick up some pointers from the guy who basically filled in any possible online Brawl tourney holes. But yes, I will undoubtedly be "attending" (is that the correct terminology?) both tourneys.

Consider my "first post" to be fixed. ;)

And 'grats on your 800th!

Probably, if we get started by 1:00. What'll you call yourself there?

You too Dyce. "SAG3"?

Sorry about the above post.
Good, 1:00 should work well for me.

Also... how in the hell did you know I called myself "SAG3"??? That's f**king creepy man.

GeT oUt Of My HeAd!!!111!1!!!!11!

EDIT:
Here's darkNES' thread >> http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120358

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say I know more about tourneys, considering I've only been to ONE and got my arse thoroughly handed to by Rhyme and Court.

Well...whatevs.

Also, I think darkNES' tourney starts the day BEFORE yours does. lolz. Sorry about that, I'll send you a link so you can check it out for yourself and pick up some pointers from the guy who basically filled in any possible online Brawl tourney holes. But yes, I will undoubtedly be "attending" (is that the correct terminology?) both tourneys.

Sounds right. When you say "send" do you mean PM?

Consider my "first post" to be fixed. ;)

LOL

And 'grats on your 800th!

Meh. Nothing that great, not 'til 1000.

Good, 1:00 should work well for me.

Cool.

Also... how in the hell did you know I called myself "SAG3"??? That's f**king creepy man.

GeT oUt Of My HeAd!!!111!1!!!!11!
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when the fifth letter for names was confirmed, the subject of what you'd call yourself came up...you said something like "I'll stick with what I usually call myself...SAG3" or something.

Trophyhunter said:
Now is this 1:00 eastern pacific, mountain time what cause I need to know.
Crap, good point. It's Pacific Time, everyone.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
Awesome I sent you a pm saying i want to join the tournament also my name that I will use is Cube. But still what time zone of 1:00 will this be?
Check your PMs.

is this 1:00 am or 1:00 pm EST....dont add me just yet....im still thinking about it.
Really? PM.

@everyone here: what do you think about having the Smash Ball on?

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has already been posted, but my computer isn't letting me search...

All right. Brawl is coming out in five weeks (assuming it doesn't get delayed (again)), with online play as an option. Therefore, the obvious thing to do is set up an online tournament fairly soon after it comes out. Dyce and I talked it over (a little), and decided that the following date is a fairly good idea:

Sunday, February 17th.

This should give everyone to play the game a bit, get used to it, unlock a few characters, and swap friend codes. I was thinking of starting at 1:00. But here's the problem: I need anyone who will participate to let me know at least by the time the game has come out, so that I can get the brackets and all that set up.

So, here are the rules.

-1V1
-Double elimination (lose two matches and you're out), best two of three
-Time limit eight minutes
-Items off, except Smash Ball (maybe that too.)
-Four stock

Brackets will be made randomly.

Prizes: Glory. Bragging rights.

Sudden Death: If stock is tied when time runs out, the match will go into Sudden Death. This will be allowed, and the winner of the match will be the winner.

Stages and Characters: As it stands now, these are the banned/counter-pick/random stages.

Random: Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, Pokémon Stadium 2 and any other returning Melee stages that were tournament-random.

Banned: Castle Siege, Rumble Falls, WarioWare, Battleship Halberd, New Pork City, PictoChat, The Summit, Temple, Frigate Orpheon, and any Melee stages that were tournament-banned.

Counter-pickable: Delfino Plaza, Bridge of Eldin, Skyworld, Shadow Moses Island, Norfair, Mario Circuit, and any other Melee stages that were tournament-CP.

The stage list will be updated as more stages are confirmed. All characters are allowed.

No glitches allowed. Wavedashing, if it's in the game, is (obviously) not considered a glitch. Peach's Wall Bomber and other return techniques like it are, if still possible, allowed.

If we want to start by 1:00, please be ready early. Once everyone who has confirmed that they're joining has showed, we'll start. Let me know you've showed by PMing me.

Here's a slight problem: I don't know how I'm going to keep track of who's won and who to pair them up with and that kind of stuff. Do you guys think I should just be online while the tournament is going, and y'all can just PM me? Does that sound good?

That should be it. Please discuss and give me feedback.
i too was thinking about an online tourney on that date, after reading this ill prolly just enter this one, but after reading this a few things come to mind...

On i find it sad that people are already banning all items, and some stages, we havent even played the game! just because a stage moves doesnt mean it has to be banned, i dont care about items, except the smash ball, but i really think we should give some of them a chance... i dont really care much about that though...

OK.. the main things i need to know, what time does the tourney start? you say one pm, but in what timezone? That is necessary as not everyone lives in the same area. Also when it comes to seeing who won, you could have one player sit in the game, or more likely spectator, maybe this will be in on friends, or you could use replays?

Revven

FrankerZ
I'd like to sign up considering the fact that everyone will be at the same skill level since it's the same week it comes out.

However, if I have to pull out, I'll let you know.

Thrull

Smash Cadet
Quick question, have you guys thought of using recorded games to confirm disputed wins/losses? If recordings include taunt speech bubbles, each player could custom taunt with their name at the start of the match to ID the game for the viewer. That would probably be a sufficient safeguard against disputes, but if the match length exceeded 3 minutes it might get cut short due to recording limits (if there are any). What game settings are you going to use, stock, time or both?

You wouldn't have to deal with the recorded games most likely, just rely on the two players being honest, and if there's a disagreement then see who recorded it.

The third-player judge should work as well, although I know that's probably going to increase the time it takes for all the games to be played and make organization more difficult.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
sign me up too...and you might wanna change the title...darkness's will actually be the first known online brawl tournament

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
I'm in.

My brother JawHun is in.

Sudden Death: If stock is tied when time runs out, the match will go into Sudden Death. This will be allowed, and the winner of the match will be the winner.
Shouldn't you make it so the lower percent on the same stock wins rather than sudden death deciding? For example, I wouldn't want to be at 15% and the person I'm facing at 217% on both of our last stocks just for time to expire and lose in sudden death. It is very unlikely that the person at 217% was going to win. Make it so that if the players are at equal %s and stock for sudden death to count.

Top Bottom