• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl More mindgames than Tech

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
Basically in melee Tech skill was required to get anywhere except for some. Is Brawl going to be more mindgames than techskill or we just havent found enough teqs yet. In melee falco and fox could basically **** anyone with techskill with mindgames was just a plus, but in brawl with a little slower gameplay(IMO) and airdodge out of combos at will Tech skill doesn't seem as important. Or will Brawl be an Intense Mindgame With tactics such as do a combo wait for them to airdodge and then resume the combo etc.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
****, I just posted about this in the "new techniques" thread. here goes:

There are no lengthy combos anymore, technically speaking. However, there are lengthy, reactionary strings.

Think of it like chess: There are well-defined openings, playing by the book as they say. However, if your opponent does something that throws off your opening (like an airdodge), then you transpose into another opening (combo).

Another helpful chess analogy is the idea of forced moves. Chess masters can see things like "mate in 8" because they can see forced moves. This just means that you make a move which forces your opponent into a certain action which you then punish them for.

Say I'm sheik, and I want to:

ftilt 3 times into a dtilt grab. however, at any time in the ftilt string the opponent airdodges. I simply transpose into a different string of moves, say utilt dsmash or something.

The problem is, these same techniques held in melee, just as they hold in any decent game (video or otherwise), only now we don't have the tried-and-true ATs that everyone fell back on in Melee.

hope this wasn't confusing.

giantimi

Smash Cadet
Yea, I would have to agree with assertion. One question.....what is going to really separate good players from bad players then?

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
AAAAAAH!

What will separate good players from bad is the same thing that does in every single decent game throughout history (except wrestling... ewww): intelligent play.

An intuitive understanding of game theory, psychology (yours and that of your opponent), and a grasp of the game engine are all that it will take.

Listen. The ATs in Melee didn't separate good players from bad, it separated those willing to put in the time to build the ATs into muscle memory from those that weren't. A bad player could play at lightning speed and still play stupidly.

Call it mindgames, call it pwnage, it simply comes down to intellectual play.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
can u pls tell me wut ur best mindgames r if brawl is all mindgames then i need 2 lurn them asap help pls!
Either this post was comprised completely of epic win, or I think I may try to kill the nearest cute thing I see.

good thing my fiance is out of town.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
no it will have less mindgames because of how limited the options are for movement, approach and comboing.

TamOtter

Smash Cadet
And that would put the focus on what you CAN do. Less options does NOT equal fewer mindgames.

You ever play limit poker? You have three options. Call. Raise. Fold. There can only be three raises per betting round.

Can you seriously look at me and say that there are no mindgames in limit poker? If they're present there, they're present in Brawl.

Keep notes on your regular opponents. Find out how they react in a given situation, and learn to exploit it. Because Brawl, for the moment, has less technical aspects, it'll be easier to isolate specific patterns. In my opinion, that's going to be the focus of high-level play: psychology and game theory.

2syk

Smash Rookie
or we just havent found enough teqs yet.
i mean i kno i'm new to the site but i followed ssbm and i don't think they found every single tech in 1 month. Just wait for it, someone will break the game and then the great divide between talented players and scrubs will be created.

<---scrub

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I've thought a lot about the proposition that Brawl emphasizes mindgames over tech skill, and thus is "more about mindgames" than Melee. Here's what I came up with.

Imagine that your Brawl skill level is divided into sections on a pie chart. Now these are obviously made-up figures but imagine that your Brawl pie chart is divided 60% mindgames, 40% tech skill.

Now imagine the same kind of chart for you Melee skill level. Let's suppose that the chart is divided the opposite way: 40% mindgames, 60% tech skill. Sounds like you need "more mindgames" to be good at Brawl, right? Not necessarily-- perhaps the entire Melee pie chart is significantly bigger than the Brawl chart.

Summary: Melee required more tech skill, and having that tech skill allowed to engage in more, and more varied mindgames. Thus, though you need PROPORTIONATELY more mindgams to be good at Brawl, your "absolute" mindgames level is ultimately lower.

:p

TamOtter

Smash Cadet
Good point, but at this time, it's still comparing apples to what's technically oranges. Brawl, as you indirectly stated, is a much simpler game at this time. The current skill level required to play it at a high level is lower because people haven't found all the techniques.

True, people are working on it pretty hard. People have been working on it from day 1 Japanese release, but that wasn't that long ago. They'll be found, and then the charts will even up. =^_^=

R. Olivaw

Smash Cadet
Was wavedashing discovered in one week when Melee first came out? how about the other techs, were they all picked up within a month of melee's release?

Why is everyone jumping the gun?

Mama

Smash Ace
Was wavedashing discovered in one week when Melee first came out? how about the other techs, were they all picked up within a month of melee's release?

Why is everyone jumping the gun?
My thoughts exactly. It took several months (or a year or so I think) before Melee's reached its technical peak. And after that the tier lists and Metagame were still constantly evolving. The problem is People came into Melee late and were able to just pick up all the techs, trends and strats as soon as they jumped in. People don't feel like waiting around for Brawl to evolve but in time it'll reach its potential. Until then you can't say its more or less competitive or anything like that. Things are different now, the way you approach, the way you combo, mind games, etc so we need to adapt to that and choose characters who thrive in this new play style.

Top Bottom