• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl is not like SSB64 at all.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I've been hearing this quite a bit (that brawl is "more similar to ssb than to melee"), and I have to say that it's patently false.

SSB64 is a game of instant z-cancelling, ridiculous hitstun and combos, and easy edgeguarding.

Brawl has none of these. In fact, in each of these areas, it's the exact opposite.

Brawl isn't like either game ><

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I haven't played Brawl but I can tell that it is different. I suppose its more like 64 than Melee. For the most part though it will feel like a whole new experience for me.

-Onyx

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think in 64 you used Z to lag cancel instead of L if I recall right.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Yeah, despite using R for all of my L-Canceling, it's still called L-Cancel. I suppose that's why I never thought it was called that because of the button; I always knew it was Lag Cancel.

D

Deleted member

In my opinions Brawl is much more similar to Smash 64 than Melee, enough for me to love it. The falling speed being slowed is a huge difference, and the levels feel more like the 64 as well. The only thing that's gone is the hitstun for the most part, and we all know (for balance purposes) it was best to remove the infinite combos. But that wasn't what made Smash 64. It was just the "feel" of it.

And to me, Brawl "feels" like Smash 64. I've played about six hours, and I'm a 64 fan that hated Melee and refuse to play it, I hate it so much.

Brawl is amazing.

MrEmperor

Smash Cadet
It depends on what you're comparing it to. Yes it is like SSB64 and Melee in the fact that it shares the same basic setting (percentage damage, knock off the stage, various characters). On the other hand, the playstyles of the games are different, and perhaps more different than similar.

Finch

Smash Lord
Smash 64's hitstun was so ridiculous and gameplay was so slow. Brawl has almost no hitstun and gameplay speed comparable much more to melee than ssb64.

mickomoo

Smash Rookie
I've been hearing this quite a bit (that brawl is "more similar to ssb than to melee"), and I have to say that it's patently false.

SSB64 is a game of instant z-cancelling, ridiculous hitstun and combos, and easy edgeguarding.

Brawl has none of these. In fact, in each of these areas, it's the exact opposite.

Brawl isn't like either game ><
I suppose in terms of slower paced gameplay and more damaging blows (ie: Link's bombs are near the power of their 64 counterpart) people consider it like 64 more than melee...

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
The OP speaks the truth. I got to play my first few hours of Brawl this week and the game is MUCH more like Melee than it is 64. If you think otherwise then you probably haven't played 64 in a long time and your memory is faulty.

D

Deleted member

The OP speaks the truth. I got to play my first few hours of Brawl this week and the game is MUCH more like Melee than it is 64. If you think otherwise then you probably haven't played 64 in a long time and your memory is faulty.
I only play Smash 64 and this game is a lot more like it than Melee was. It sounds like you haven't played Smash 64 in a long time. It's like the best parts of Smash 64 and Melee combined, where as Melee felt like they just ditched a ton of stuff from Smash 64 that is now brought back into Brawl.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
thats good because there are a lot of people saying brawl is like 64, and i wondered how they could change the game so much from melee to go back to 64, because there is a big jump between 64 and melee

D

Deleted member

thats good because there are a lot of people saying brawl is like 64, and i wondered how they could change the game so much from melee to go back to 64, because there is a big jump between 64 and melee
Like I said you should probably be worried then. I absolutely love and still play Smash 64 and I hate/refuse to play Melee.

And I like Brawl. So you should probably be scared. ;)

ConeZone

Smash Ace
whatever, there is always going to be transition between games, you just have to practice and learn the changes. nothing can change my opinion on playing brawl

Thino

Smash Master
Smash 64's hitstun was so ridiculous and gameplay was so slow. Brawl has almost no hitstun and gameplay speed comparable much more to melee than ssb64.
what?
from videos i see and with the lack of l-cancel, I think brawl is much slower than 64 actually

D

Deleted member

what?
from videos i see and with the lack of l-cancel, I think brawl is much slower than 64 actually
To me, it feels like the gameplay is more fast paced, especially because there is so little hit stun you are always on the move and rarely disabled. The moves come out with little lag for the most part, and have less finish lag too. Your characters move faster than 64 as well.

However, it is much slower than Melee.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
i think when people said it was more like smash 64 they were talking about the feel of the game. obviously the techs and stuff are very different and in some ways more complex. but the feel of how the characters react and the floatyness of the game is what i hear people talking about most. it may still be wrong but i just though i'd let you know what they meant

D

Deleted member

i think when people said it was more like smash 64 they were talking about the feel of the game. obviously the techs and stuff are very different and in some ways more complex. but the feel of how the characters react and the floatyness of the game is what i hear people talking about most. it may still be wrong but i just though i'd let you know what they meant
This is correct.

heroicsonic

Smash Apprentice
i havent played in melee SOOOO long, im busy plating ssb64 online on pj64k that i forgot all about the melee physics and how fast it is.

By the time brawl comes out i wouldnt even care if the speed was reduced from melee.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Hooray. You're floatier, like you were in ssb64.

Not sitting on your behind for half a second after every aerial is more important to the feel. Also, being able to connect hits.

ShadowXOR, I dunno what you're talking about with "less lag time" in brawl. Sounds to me like you didn't play ssb64 very well >__>

D

Deleted member

Hooray. You're floatier, like you were in ssb64.

Not sitting on your behind for half a second after every aerial is more important to the feel. Also, being able to connect hits.

ShadowXOR, I dunno what you're talking about with "less lag time" in brawl. Sounds to me like you didn't play ssb64 very well >__>
No, it sounds like I didn't use Z-Canceling. I was excellent at Smash 64 but none of us used Z-Canceling (by choice).

Doctor X

Smash Lord
ShadowXOR is unusually vocal for somebody so clueless...

Aside from the uniform falling speeds, Brawl takes the series further in the same direction that Melee did in every single way. All this johning about "feel" is just that-- johns. Brawl "feels" like the original to you because you weren't any good at the original.

D

Deleted member

ShadowXOR is unusually vocal for somebody so clueless...

Aside from the uniform falling speeds, Brawl takes the series further in the same direction that Melee did in every single way. All this johning about "feel" is just that-- johns. Brawl "feels" like the original to you because you weren't any good at the original.
You're an idiot. If you'd like to play me online at Smash 64, we'll find out who's good and who isn't. Everything I said was accurate and you're an uninformed tool. If you're so good put your money where your mouth is.

I've been playing Smash 64 since it came out, and still do. I didn't like Melee because I thought it was horrible. I'm probably more familiar with Smash 64 than 99.9% of the boards. Quit talking out of your ***.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Brawl controls is the same as Melee's. Brawl can able to use extra controllers to play a new and diffrent style. But to say that Brawl is not like SSB64 and Melee at all is too funny, becasue they do have the same rules, Ring out your foes to win the game. Well just about all of use get the point that Brawl is a whole nother game, matter in fact, this thread topic is almost a month old to even be new.

D

Deleted member

It feels like a combination of Melee and 64 with new things on top of that. But the overall game feels more like Smash 64 to me than it does Melee.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
You "choose" not to z-cancel. That's like choosing not to score headshots in Halo... and you don't realize this. A simple litmus test like this tells me you aren't nearly as knowledgeable about the finer points of SSB64 as you claim to be.

Can you tell me how DI works? Do you know any combos? If so, what are they? What's Pikachu's best ground move? I wager you don't know.

Admittedly I don't consider myself an expert since I haven't played much SSB64 competitively, but I do know that you, my friend, are living in a delusionsal little world that's incredibly annoying to witness the misconceptions of on not one, but two message boards. You want a real lesson? Go to the SSB64 boards. Challenge somebody there. See what happens... that is, if you're lucky enough to find anyone there.

Top Bottom