• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh no, I may not have been clear. I know that more often than not I'll be grab released (and I'll be released on the ground). But sometimes I break out like RIGHT next to the grabber, and other times I slide far from them upon being grab released. I want to know about the factors to how far you slide upon being grab released, and if I'm doing something wrong since sometimes I want to be released right next to the grabber when they go for the KO move, but avoid the strongest part of the attack they'll try. But like I said in my example, I keep sliding far from the grabber for some reason... Even though I'm holding my control stick (and flicking my C-Stick) towards them. =P
Yeah, you were clear, that's EXACTLY what I was referring to. the 'side release' and the 'down release' are both ground releases.

To translate it to the terms you're currently using, A 'down release' is when you break out right next to the grabber. A 'side release' is when you slide further away.

From what I know, 'down release' happens when you break right immediately after you get pummeled, a 'side release' happens when you're still in pummel hitstun, but its a bit after they actually hit you with a pummel.

Actually B-reversal is changing the way you face + shift your momentum, similar to wavebounce but the only difference is that you face the same way while wavebouncing. I think the term you're looking for is TurnaroundB, which changes your direction when using a special without shifting momentum.
Oh wait, so a wavebounce is essentially a turnaround-b-reverse? Oh man this is embarassing, using the wrong terms all this time!

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Oh wait, so a wavebounce is essentially a turnaround-b-reverse? Oh man this is embarassing, using the wrong terms all this time!
To put it in a simpler way:
B-reversal= Wavebounce (+)TurnaroundB
Wavebounce= B-reversal (-) TurnaroundB
And so on.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Actually B-reversal is changing the way you face + shift your momentum, similar to wavebounce but the only difference is that you face the same way while wavebouncing. I think the term you're looking for is TurnaroundB, which changes your direction when using a special without shifting momentum.
Ah, makes sense now.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
To put it in a simpler way:
B-reversal= Wavebounce (+)TurnaroundB
Wavebounce= B-reversal (-) TurnaroundB
And so on.
I can see what Demna means here but it's kinda confusing, cause technically a wavebounce is a turnaround-B that gets b-reversed (ie in terms of the inputs and what's actually happening in the game).

In terms of inputs
Wavebounce = TurnaroundB+B-reversal
B-reversals and turnaroundBs are 2 completely different things, and they're each equal to (wavebounce-other)

In terms of the effects of each, what Demna said is correct. This is because
- Turnaround-B = just turns you around
- B-reversal = turns you around AND shifts your momentum

So a wavebounce is actually you turning around twice , and getting 1 momentum shift (because remember it's a turnaroundB+B-reversal). Since turning around twice causes you to face the direction you were initially facing, it looks like all that happened was a momentum shift. You do technically turn around twice during a wavebounce but for all intents and purposes you don't turn around at all.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
So a wavebounce is actually you turning around twice , and getting 1 momentum shift (because remember it's a turnaroundB+B-reversal). Since turning around twice causes you to face the direction you were initially facing, it looks like all that happened was a momentum shift. You do technically turn around twice during a wavebounce but for all intents and purposes you don't turn around at all.
Does Salem do this manually or with C-bouncing?

Jackson

Smash Lord
By c bouncing, do you mean changing C stick to specials? Sorry for the flurry of questions , but I have another important one. I know SDI is really important. Playing as a kid, I unknowingly learned to do it by mashing out of smart bombs. I did it with the analog stick. Are you supposed to use the analog stick AND c stick to SDI out of multiple hit moves?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Both ways work. Using both allows for more movement (two inputs per frame instead of one). Only real downside to using the c-stick is that once you're out of the hitstun, you may accidentally input a move.

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Can't Lucas' and Ness PKTs be reversed? They can be turned around though right?

Also I know this is the wrong place but didn't Project M make it significantly easier to B-reverse? I swear the input buffer is huge and I B-reverse way too much by accident.

D

Deleted member 189823

I had a tournament today. Did pretty terribad.

So terribad, I lost to a generic.

Self-note:

Probably need to hard-wire "winning wouldn't hurt" into my mind.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Forward back forward B.

Wave bounce in a nutshell.
Actually it's more like Forward back B forward.
Forward>(you're going forward)>Back B (turnaround B)>Forward (B reverse the turnaround B).
Can't Lucas' and Ness PKTs be reversed? They can be turned around though right?

Also I know this is the wrong place but didn't Project M make it significantly easier to B-reverse? I swear the input buffer is huge and I B-reverse way too much by accident.
It's not about buffering, but yeah the window for inputting the reverse is wider in pm than in brawl.

Dunno what you mean about Breversing PKT since they stop in place and the projectile goes upwards. Care to be more specific ?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Actually it's more like Forward back B forward.
Forward>(you're going forward)>Back B (turnaround B)>Forward (B reverse the turnaround B).
It's not about buffering, but yeah the window for inputting the reverse is wider in pm than in brawl.

Dunno what you mean about Breversing PKT since they stop in place and the projectile goes upwards. Care to be more specific ?
Lucas' or Ness' body will be oriented depending on the direction faced when using PKT. I think its right = front shown, left = back shown.
I think you can change their momentum a little bit, because they dont completely stop in place when it's used. Ill check it out tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 189823

Does Dash Shielding have more lag on startup than simply putting your Shield up, by walking/standing? This is a problem I've always had trouble with. Maybe I just have to tweak my own timing.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Does Dash Shielding have more lag on startup than simply putting your Shield up, by walking/standing? This is a problem I've always had trouble with. Maybe I just have to tweak my own timing.
You can only shield at the end of your dash. People like to foxtrot -> shield (so dash, and let go straight away, then buffer a shield).
when walking/standing, you can shield at anytime, but it's not very good for positioning.
there's no start up difference of the shield, it's just when you can shield.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
What Jamwa said. Basically there are 2 parts to running in this game; the initial 'dash' and the 'running' animation afterwards (sorry for using running twice but I don't really know what other words to use lol)

The initial dash is the first thing that occurs after you flick the analog forwards. If you know what foxtrotting is, that's just repeated dash animations with no running animations in between. If you let go of the analog during the dash animation, you don't go into any other animations (meaning the running animation never starts).

The running animation starts once the dash animation is over, and it continues for as long as you hold the analog forwards or until you do something else. If you let go of the analog during this animation, you go into your skid/brake animation.

During the dash, you can dash attack, dash grab, sideB, usmash, and jump (and, by extension, you can do dash attack cancels into stuff, as well as jump cancels into stuff). You can't shield or do any other specials during this animation.

During the run, you can do everything mentioned above, plus you can also shield and neutralB/upB/downB.

A player from my region complied a list of how long it takes to dash and then shield, for every character. He used frame advance so I imagine this list is accurate. His name is Poke (1PokeMastr on the boards) if you're curious.
Shield Dash Frame Data:
Frame = What frame shield appears.

Sheik = Frame 8

Samus = Frame 9
GaW = Frame 9

Mario = Frame 10
ROB = Frame 10

Fox = Frame 11
Luigi = Frame 11
Diddy Kong = Frame 11
Pokemon Trainer = Frame 11
Ike = Frame 11
King Dedede = Frame 11
Wolf = Frame 11
Lucario = Frame 11
Sonic = Frame 11
Olimar = Frame 11
Lucas = Frame 11

Falco = Frame 12

Link = Frame 13
Zero Suit Samus = Frame 13
Kirby = Frame 13
Pit = Frame 13
Metaknight = Frame 13
Snake = Frame 13
Wario = Frame 13
Toon Link = Frame 13

Pikachu = Frame 14
Ice Climbers = Frame 14
Ness = Frame 14
Bowser = Frame 14
Jigglypuff = Frame 14

Yoshi = Frame 15

Donkey Kong = Frame 16
Zelda = Frame 16
Peach = Frame 16
Ganondorf = Frame 16
Captain Falcon = Frame 16

Marth = Frame 17
Since shields always come out on frame 1, you can get each character's dash animation length from this list by subtracting 1 frame. eg Marth: 17-1 = 16: Marth's dash animation is 16 frames long.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Usually when a player misses a ground tech, they can be punished via Jab reset > follow up. It works perfectly at low percentages, but it seems that it doesn't work on mid-high percentages. It is because the player was sent Knocked too high by the jab that it doesn't reset him? Regarding Metaknight's D-tilt reset, can someone please explain it in details please? I know about the flopping animation and that you can hit a character repeatedly with it such as Ness's F-tilt, but sometimes it doesn't reset the opponent. I'm probably thinking that Jab reset doesn't work for all character that have a traditional Jab1-2-3, meh. Any other info regarding this subject will be appreciated as well.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yeah only moves with fixed knockback will cause a reset at all percents (a lot of jab1 are fixed knockback).
About the whole reset thing you have to hit your opponent between his two ground bounces.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Do BF's platforms allow more camping than on FD (by jumping from platform to platform)?
And is FD a better competitive stage than BF?
I know these are dumb questions but I need to clear this up with someone else.

Last edited:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Do BF's platforms allow more camping than on FD (by jumping from platform to platform)?
And is FD a better competitive stage than BF?
I know these are dumb questions but I need to clear this up with someone else.
Depends on the MU but in most cases, FD allows for more camping (and stronger camping). There are very few MUs in which a character can outcamp the other by jumping from platform to platform; outside of these few MUs, putting yourself on a platform is putting yourself at a positional disadvantage.

The idea of 'better competitive stage' is not one I approve of, or one I can respond to. At least, not in this case, because neither of these stages really have any quality to them that makes them banworthy (eg permanent walls/walkoffs, allows for circle camping, extreme random changes, etc) and I like to think that all stages that are undeniably not-banworthy are equally fit for competition.

That said, MU balance/fairness is probably one of the criteria you're looking for in 'better competitive stage', so BF would be the 'better' one as it's definitely more 'balanced' than FD. FD is the best stage for a lot of chars, and for many chars in specific MUs, and in general is a strong CP option. BF overall is a weaker CP option as it doesn't really swing very many MUs heavily into one character's favour.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
So my first time in this thread, my only question is: Being new to the competitive scene, how often do you spend on Smash (any version) a day how many times a week? Whats the general ROI on training and the best results without over training needlessly. Also, do you train your main and your one or two secondaries or do you just use whoever to get general stuff down?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
The short answer is that the best way to improve is to play serious matches against other good players, especially those that are better than you. Smashfests and tournaments will provide you with the best experience you can ask for.
I suggest that you read these articles
http://clashtournaments.com/money-brawl-dear-new-player/
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-shoulds-and-should-nots-of-your-first-tournament.352699/

I see you live in the GTA. We're having a tournament tomorrow at A&C World, I suggest that you attend. I'd be down to play with you and help you improve.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
The short answer is that the best way to improve is to play serious matches against other good players, especially those that are better than you. Smashfests and tournaments will provide you with the best experience you can ask for.
I suggest that you read these articles
http://clashtournaments.com/money-brawl-dear-new-player/
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-shoulds-and-should-nots-of-your-first-tournament.352699/

I see you live in the GTA. We're having a tournament tomorrow at A&C World, I suggest that you attend. I'd be down to play with you and help you improve.
I'm actually pretty upset I can't attend as I found out a bit late about it and have obligations until monday for Easter otherwise I wanted to at least show my face and get to know some people in the Toronto scene. I didnt know about the regional tourny board here so I shorted myself on knowledge. Now I'm keeping an eye on it for the next big one so I don't have to be upset haha

Thanks for the tip though!
Im

Jackson

Smash Lord
Ok, I've got a question id like answered quickly if possible. So, I've often pummeled excessively, and sometimes opponents break out before I throw. To avoid this but still get valuable pummel damage, do you guys know any rules for pummeling? As in, one pummel for every 20 percent or something? I just want to get max amount of pummels AND a throw. Thanks.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It depends on the characters, but I never pummel twice before 120% unless I notice my opponent has lazy mashing. It's not worth the trouble risking 10% from the throw and the positional advantage for a 2% pummel.

Jackson

Smash Lord
It depends on the characters, but I never pummel twice before 120% unless I notice my opponent has lazy mashing. It's not worth the trouble risking 10% from the throw and the positional advantage for a 2% pummel.
Wow, that's really safe. Your reasons are very valid. The only thing is, as Marth, I usually make chaingrab reads off Up Throw, which I believe deals only 4 damage. Because of this low damage, I pummel more, but you are definitely right about the positional advantage. Marth loves to be below his opponents. Anyway, thanks for the fast answer.

Top Bottom