• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Tesh

Smash Hero
The way I do it is Instant dash attack (dash+downsmash) and upsmash immediately after.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I heard a trick that if you use Shakesmash, and then jolt your arm downwards, then back to where it was, it becomes really easy to DACUS.

Spaztic Monkey

Smash Cadet
I heard a trick that if you use Shakesmash, and then jolt your arm downwards, then back to where it was, it becomes really easy to DACUS.
I've heard about that to but having shake smash on is horrible. Sometimes it will smash when you don't want it to or will use a different smash.

Tried it, and it doesn't work for me. Although, I can see the appeal to using this as an excuse. Jolt your arms down, then jerk them back upwards, hitting opponent on the way up, knocking them out, and causing them to lose the match because they cannot play. And your reasoning is, "It was all a mistake. I was trying to DACUS with the wiimote :(" But, secretly you are thinking to your :demon:-side, "Mission Complete >)"

Jane

Smash Hero
not sure what it stands for, but its used when someone beats you with 0%. say i have one stock left, but before you even touch me, i finish you off. i JV2 stocked you. i only had one stock, but since you didnt touch me, it was a JV2

make sense?

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Uh...i got a question. When one plays brawl, do they play with their preset norms and style, or do they just play based of their opponents reactions? I know this might sound kind of weird, but what could be done to play efficiently? I ask this question because i feel that im in a slump of sorts. =/

I...play sonic and do well because people dont know the gimmicks. I dont know how good of a player i am, but...once someone figures me out (like someone did today), i get wrecked. What should i do? Get better at reading my opponents? Or just find more gimmicks? I've been doing this since brawl came out with Sonic, but now i just want to know what to really focus on. (And get ready for apex/upcoming tourneys)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I always assumed it was cuz of someone named JV who made it up or smthg, but idk
Pretty sure this is what it was.
Uh...i got a question. When one plays brawl, do they play with their preset norms and style, or do they just play based of their opponents reactions? I know this might sound kind of weird, but what could be done to play efficiently? I ask this question because i feel that im in a slump of sorts. =/

I...play sonic and do well because people dont know the gimmicks. I dont know how good of a player i am, but...once someone figures me out (like someone did today), i get wrecked. What should i do? Get better at reading my opponents? Or just find more gimmicks? I've been doing this since brawl came out with Sonic, but now i just want to know what to really focus on. (And get ready for apex/upcoming tourneys)
Speed, you're the best Sonic on the east coast. You know how you're supposed to play.

Poke around at them, find their habits, predict them, punish them.

Also, Bluesteak is back.

I have found from years of brawling the best way to win is: Find your opponents weaknesses, Test them...figure out how to trick them into thinking you will do one thing but you end up doing another thing...Play with their minds, Lastly...Never underestimate your foe, EVER.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
:colorful::flame::evil::demon:SSBBMASTER:demon::evil::flame::colorful:

I would like to know, where are the closest SSBB tournament grounds closest to ohio. That question has been bugging me for days and days.
The Ohio scene is actually pretty good. Search around the regional boards for more info.

Try to get to MLG Ohio if you can. It'll be a great experience for you.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Frame data for grab breaks and Grab stuff

Reaction and adaptation should be your best friends.
You can't rely on the surprise effect forever.
I guess this thread can help you : http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185748
Just replace "Diddy" with "Sonic" and "glide toss" with "spindash cancel tricksies"

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I know I've seen it before but now I can't find it again :urg:

I'm looking for data that shows where to place the blocks in the custom stage builder so that the bounderies mimics Final Destination.

I KNOW it's got to be in the SWF somewhere...

Hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

Edit: Ugh... nevermind... found it...

I extremely doubt this is well known, but if it is, this will be the first I have ever known about it. Anyway, dashgrab Snake's cypher recover instead of simply grabbing it after he comes up from the stage. You want to dash grab and before he gets above the ledge. You want to grab and get hit by the cypher causing him to immediately drop because for some odd reason getting hit by the cypher in the middle of a dashgrab that close to the ledge causes the grab to be broken.

Typically, a snake could recover from a grab by either air release, or ground release. This makes sure he stays dead.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I have a question.

Would memorizing frame data of your character and other characters put you to an advantage?
You don't have to know everything by heart, but it can be interesting to know stuff like your fastest options and what can beat them, which move has invincibility/SA frames, etc.

Knowing frame data certainly does help you foresee what kinds of attacks your foe could possible drill out, but as teluoborg said you dont need to know it by heart. Just mind that extra knowledge and use it to your advantage. Plan ahead, dodge often, and try your best is how i prosper in SSBB (well im not going to get into the details of my strategies)

Laem

Smash Champion
yo ive got a question, i knew the answer some time ago but i forgot lol.

so when u run off the edge, how do u dair without the fastfall? the way i do it right now is just slightly tilt the control stick down and A, but its kind of tricky and i believe the other method was way easier >.>
Tell mehhhhhhhhh

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh I see the problem.
When you're in the air (at or after your jump's apex), Tap-Down input causes a fastfall. When you hit Attack, if Down is the control-stick's position then it will Dair attack. The two things are separate. So all you need to do is stop Tap-Down input from happening.

So run off the edge with the control stick at a forward+down position; this should allow you to relax it into a Down without it causing a fastfall; since it "was already down" it won't cause a Tap-Down input. Then while Down (anywhere between forward+down and backward+down) is held, you can Dair with either Attack input, or by c-sticking the Dair.

(You might think that C-sticking the Dair would cause a "tap-down", but if the control-stick is held down than it doesn't. Hmm, on that note, I bet that if you're standing on ground and holding down on the control stick, then c-sticking down will just cause you to Dtilt instead of Dsmash; it's the same phenomenon. This is all assuming your C-stick is set to Smash (the default).)

I could be wrong though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you arent. holding down while c sticking down definitely makes you down tilt, the same as how holding up with you c stick up makes you up tilt.

Arcade

Smash Ace
But holding left or right while smashing with the C-stick doesn't make you tilt. Wonder why that is?

They screwed up with having C-stick down fastfall your dair but at least it's still easy to smash forward while walking forward.

clp

Smash Rookie
never mind, I found out XD. But I have other questions: in Brawl, do I have to wait for the hitstun to end up before meteor canceling?

what moves can I use to meteor cancel?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm pretty sure that meteor cancelling is the ability to escape hitstun super-early with a Jump or up-B, if you use them at the right time after being meteor'd. I'm not sure how many frames you have until you're allowed to try to jump/up-B, or what the penalty is if you attempt them too early. (If I recall correctly, trying to Jump too early resulted in a large delay before you could try again; whereas the delay doesn't exist with up-B, which you can just mash all you want. Don't take my word for it though.)

clp

Smash Rookie
But I have heard that meteor cancel can't be performed with X or Y in brawl, only with tap jump, is it true?

infomon

Smash Scientist
hmmmm I have no idea :urg:

why don't you run some tests? If you have the homebrew channel then that's great, you can use the "debug mode" code to test things out frame-by-frame. Alternatively, just make a custom stage and use 1/4-speed training mode to test things out.

If you do, then be sure to post your findings back here! (and/or make a thread)

Of course there's also probably a thread on this somewhere....... then again, don't always trust what you read in a thread ;)

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure this is the basics of meteor canceling:
Upb can be mashed without penalty.
Jump with x/y requires timing, otherwise you'll suffer lag.
Jump with tap jump can be mashed without penalty.

pretty sure.

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I would like to know if there's a better way to improve my reaction time with DI against attacks. I see that some attacks in the game come out too fast and I can't DI from them. To me, the timing is really hard and during matches I have little to no DI. The only time I DI is when I'm recovering since I hold the control sick diagonally towards the directions I'm doing to. I see players from tourneys that DI very good like Ally and I ask to myself "how do they DI like that?". Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is the thread for this but if its not just link me to the appropriate one so I can ask my question again. Thank you.

Jane

Smash Hero
its just something that comes with time. everytime you go to a tournament or smashfest, write "DI" on your hand or something lol. you just have to always be thinking about it in matches, and eventually itll become second nature

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Some attacks are too fast to be DI'd on reaction.
In this case you just have to DI in prediction.

With training it becomes easier to see when you're going to get hit by a smash (generally when you screwed up your spacing).

So in order to train your DI oyou have to get a better understanding of what is happening during the fight, so try to focus more or something like that.

I have a question, first of all, what is a Dair attack? Second, is Meteor canceling the same as Perfect sheilding or Auto-canceling? I was just asking because i dont know the technical terms to all of the moves in brawl, all i know is that they work. XD. so if some of u guys could catch me up to speed. And also what is a DI and what does DI stand for?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Hmmm, you might want to read through this [Standard Terms List] but it's got a lot of very technical/advanced stuff intermixed with some of the basics.

In Brawl, when you hit the Attack button, the position of the control stick determines which attack comes out. When you're in the air, you can do the following:
Uair: Up Air (aerial), the control stick is pointed upwards
Dair: Down Air, the control stick is pointed down
Fair: Forward Air, the control stick is to the side, in the direction your character's facing
Bair: Back Air, the control stick is to the side, pointed backwards
Nair: Neutral Air (aerial), the control stick is in the centre (you're not pushing a direction)

In addition, some characters have a tether-recovery move they can do with Grab input while they're in the air. Since this button is usually the Z button (the term came from Melee where buttons couldn't be re-mapped), we call it a Zair. Toon Link can do this attack, so you should get used to it.

On that note... Grab input is really just Shield + Attack. When you're in the air, the Shield button is instead an Airdodge, and if you hit the Attack button right after starting an airdodge then you'll get your Zair attack (assuming your character has one).

Hope that helps, sorry if I'm overly verbose >.<

Top Bottom