• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

ValTroX

Smash Ace
so, today i went to my friends house with my wii to test out Brawl+, xD I can't believe all the fun we had, we played it for 6 hours and i can't say that I'm disappointed in trying it. It's the best time we've had in brawl.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
Hey zxeon, i have a question that you may be able to answer, i heard that if nintengo finds out you got HBC installed, they brick you wii, but I've been watching some videos of b+ at youtube and they say that they are wifi matches, how can they go wifi if nintendo bricks the wii? =S
and about the finger fatigue, i'm sure my 18 years of gaming experience made my fingers strong enough for a couple more hours =D.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Hey zxeon, i have a question that you may be able to answer, i heard that if nintengo finds out you got HBC installed, they brick you wii, but I've been watching some videos of b+ at youtube and they say that they are wifi matches, how can they go wifi if nintendo bricks the wii? =S
and about the finger fatigue, i'm sure my 18 years of gaming experience made my fingers strong enough for a couple more hours =D.
Nintendo can't brick your Wii over Wifi, only through updates, but even that isn't really possible. If you play "With Anyone" with the homebrew codes enabled, then some people say you get "banned" from Wifi, but that's it. Just play with friends, and its all good.
-DD

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
One of the main changes to Brawl+ was 'increased hitstun'. But how much of an increase are we talking about here? Is it a minor increase, or a major increase?

Let's say for example that a move has 20 frmes of hitstun at a given percent in vBrawl. In Brawl+, how much hitstun would the move have at the same percent? 25? 30? 50?

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I don't think you know how hitstun works.

I don't really know how to describe it, but it's not that.

it has about as much hitstun as melee

NxtGenFalco93

Smash Apprentice
One of the main changes to Brawl+ was 'increased hitstun'. But how much of an increase are we talking about here? Is it a minor increase, or a major increase?

Let's say for example that a move has 20 frmes of hitstun at a given percent in vBrawl. In Brawl+, how much hitstun would the move have at the same percent? 25? 30? 50?
hitstun is complicated... i dont know how to explain it or the difference between vbrawl and b+ but b+ is ALOT more than regular brawl. i say just try it out and (if you still care) see how much of a difference you think there is.

futurepants

Smash Rookie
Ok I officially give up...

I have been trying to get bawl+ to work for several days.

I had it working before with an ISO hack but I wanted to update it when new releases came out, so I switched to a raw iso and tried to follow the instructions at the official site.

Well, to be more specific me and a friend both give up.

I am running 3.2U HBC usb loader, I tried usbloader GX, freezes, Uloader, freezes, NeoGamma, works but it doesnt load the codes so its basicly just loading brawl.

My friend used the premade SD pack and a plain disc, he used gecko and it freezes

I have scoured google for help and everyone just pooints to the official install guide, obviously that DOESNT work or I wouldn't be asking for help.

Anyone have any idea why it doesnt wqork for either of us?

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I am running 3.2U HBC usb loader, I tried usbloader GX, freezes, Uloader, freezes, NeoGamma, works but it doesnt load the codes so its basicly just loading brawl.
To get the codes to load on NeoGamma, set the hook type to anything except none.
Of course, it still ****ing freezes.

Can anyone say why snapshot hacking does nothing on a USB loader?

SonicChrono

Smash Cadet
I have a question. Why did Brawl+ 4.1B modify the Sandbag into some money? I tested the hack and it happened. How do I change it back to normal???

futurepants

Smash Rookie
To get the codes to load on NeoGamma, set the hook type to anything except none.
Of course, it still ****ing freezes.
Ok bigshot, explain why it still freezes?

This is why you don't be a **** to people who ask for help, when you are wrong then it makes you look bad.

Tried using hook and it froze, only it gave me a green screen in stead of a black one.

Also, Please don't patronize me, I have ben hacking consoles and modding games for almost 10 years, I was one of the oldest psp hackers on the dcemu scene and I know what I am doing.

this is why it is so frustrating to have the issue, since I know I am doing things correctly and it still freezes.

And before anyone asks i tried formating my sd card and just using the bare minimum files to get plus runing as well as HBC and neogamma, in case something I had was interfering with the files needed for plus.

futurepants

Smash Rookie
Maybe he wasn't intending to but it sure sounded like it.

I got it from when he said "Of course, it still ****ing freezes."

that sounded a litle rude, at least to me.

Edit. I do apologize though, When I posted that I was very pissed off about something else.

I still feel he was being a little condescending but I was not right to get angry.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Only reason why it gives green screens is the overload in Wii memory when reading it, since it can't do more than 256 lines unless something is there telling it what to do in case it IS over 256 lines (gameconfig.txt)

This is where snapshots gets involved :p

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Maybe he wasn't intending to but it sure sounded like it.

I got it from when he said "Of course, it still ****ing freezes."

that sounded a litle rude, at least to me.

Edit. I do apologize though, When I posted that I was very pissed off about something else.

I still feel he was being a little condescending but I was not right to get angry.
I'm guessing you read it as "OF COURSE it still ****ing freezes" (as in saying it like it was an obvious fact). The comma suggests he was saying it like "regardless, freezes still happen" IMO.

futurepants

Smash Rookie
Only reason why it gives green screens is the overload in Wii memory when reading it, since it can't do more than 256 lines unless something is there telling it what to do in case it IS over 256 lines (gameconfig.txt)

This is where snapshots gets involved :p
Yeah but I read that neogamma SUPPORTS more than 256 lines...

That is why i used it.

The 256 line limit is why it doesnt work on usbloader GX

Anyone have a screenshot file? for plussery

I have looked and I can't find anything that doesnt involve making one yourself, which is apain in the *** and I don't want to do that.

metroid composite

Smash Rookie

I've been doing a lot of research on this myself; I still don't have framecounts for you (once I get a chance I'm planning to test extensively), but here's what I've found so far (and please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong here):

vB actually does have decently long "hitstun"--if you try to jump after getting hit, you will notice that it actually takes a while. However, the "hitstun" in vB is not true hitstun, because you can airdodge and attack out of it. As I understand it, B+ makes it so that you can only DI during the hitstun, making it actually behave like hitstun.

Now, the unmodified hitstun from Brawl is actually numerically equal to Melee, but Melee has a bunch of additional advantages over vB such as faster jumps, higher gravity, less laggy aerials, faster movement, moves whose knockback works well with combos, and an Air-Dodge with more startup frames. B+ changes some of these (knockbacks working with combos, and general speeding up the game) but leaves others equal to vB. To close the rest of the comboability gap, the hitstun variable is increased from 0.4 to 0.4865.

(And again, please correct me on anything I've got wrong here; I'm repeating scattered information I've found by digging through topics).

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Yeah but I read that neogamma SUPPORTS more than 256 lines...

That is why i used it.

The 256 line limit is why it doesnt work on usbloader GX

Anyone have a screenshot file? for plussery

I have looked and I can't find anything that doesnt involve making one yourself, which is apain in the *** and I don't want to do that.
No, only Gecko OS does at the moment.

WiiPower was trying to implement Gecko OS 1.9's Ocarina system into Neogamma (R8RC1), but it was a bit more complex than he thought, so unless he releases R8RC2 (or R9) no backup launcher supports codes over 256 lines.

Also, the downloads are on the download page...

gct: http://www.brawlplus.net/downloads/SnapshotLoaderRSBE01.gct [x:\codes\RSBE01.gct]
snapshot: http://www.brawlplus.net/downloads/al_5-0.bin [x:\private\wii\app\RSBE\al\al_5-0.bin]

We're having some mixed results with the snapshot method though. The way to make your own snapshots is by the BrawlPlusTweaker =\ I'll experiment with some snapshot stuff tonight (as well as two other things)

futurepants

Smash Rookie
That is the problem, I dont want to use tweaker, I just want a straight forward easy to install plus file.

I had it working fine with ahacked ISo but it had tons of proken and ******** skin hacks that made it so I couldn't play with my friend who doesnt have a hard drive to use to boot the file.

I want a way for me to play plus with him, I use HDD he uses a disc with gecko

What is the simple way to do this..,.

Also last time I was on the site they had no snapshots, only a "premade SD pack" that didnt work.

metroid composite

Smash Rookie
I've been doing a lot of research on this myself; I still don't have framecounts for you (once I get a chance I'm planning to test extensively), but here's what I've found so far (and please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong here):

vB actually does have decently long "hitstun"--if you try to jump after getting hit, you will notice that it actually takes a while. However, the "hitstun" in vB is not true hitstun, because you can airdodge and attack out of it. As I understand it, B+ makes it so that you can only DI during the hitstun, making it actually behave like hitstun.

Now, the unmodified hitstun from Brawl is actually numerically equal to Melee, but Melee has a bunch of additional advantages over vB such as faster jumps, higher gravity, less laggy aerials, faster movement, moves whose knockback works well with combos, and an Air-Dodge with more startup frames. B+ changes some of these (knockbacks working with combos, and general speeding up the game) but leaves others equal to vB. To close the rest of the comboability gap, the hitstun variable is increased from 0.4 to 0.4865.

(And again, please correct me on anything I've got wrong here; I'm repeating scattered information I've found by digging through topics).
Okay, based on what I've read and tested, the amount of hitstun is based on the knockback of the move (notably, it changes as the opponent's percent changes).

I'm going to assume for the moment that it's something like HitstunConstant*TotalKnockback. I'm not sure that's it, though; I'm going to run some tests.

metroid composite

Smash Rookie
Okay, based on what I've read and tested, the amount of hitstun is based on the knockback of the move (notably, it changes as the opponent's percent changes).

I'm going to assume for the moment that it's something like HitstunConstant*TotalKnockback. I'm not sure that's it, though; I'm going to run some tests.
Not framestepping, but just preliminary observation:

Ike forward smash tumble times at 0.4 = 3ECCCCCCC (default) and 0.7 = 3F333333 (about as high as it can go without crashing).

Default 0.4:
0%: 2 sec
22%: 2.5 sec
44%: 3 sec

massive hitstun 0.7
0%: 3 sec
22%: 4 sec
44%: 5 sec

Which is to say, the second set of values is pretty much just 1.5x the first set. The one weird thing about this is as follows: this would make me think the values are 0.4 and 0.6, and in fact these are the values you get IF you assume it's not a floating point, but rather just uses the last 25 digits of the byte.

Hmm...I wonder if Nintendo has a special implementation for floats on Wii. Wouldn't be the first time they did something deviant (LOL int = s64 on GameCube).

metroid composite

Smash Rookie
Okay, I'm back from framestepping. Now that I've got framecounts, I'm confident that the 0.4 just multiplies into the knockback calculation. For instance, for Ike's FSmash, it's roughly...

(100 + 1.6*percentage)*hitstun_constant

(Or at least this works for hitstun_constant at 0.4 and 0.1 based on framestep data; I played around with it at 0.5, 0.7, and 0.2 but didn't actually framestep those).

And...here's where I'm going crazy: it would make sense for 100 and 1.6 to be related to BKB and KBG, right? But the few moves I've tested are not being consistent. For instance, I know B+ Ike Ftilt is 40 BKB and 90 KBG. I know Falcon's d-tilt is 85 KBG and 30 BKB. So...logically these should look pretty similar, right? But no: hitstun on Falcon is half that of Ike (well...slightly over).

I'm guessing angle matters for how much hitstun you get? (Falcon d-tilt launches pretty much straight up, so it's easier to follow-up with a combo).

Top Bottom