• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

kupo15

Smash Hero
It'd be too slow to use. (That's what the creator [Nuke] of the USB Gecko said anyway).

We don't need to have more code space when Gecko 2.0 comes out and we can patch lines to unused memory (255 patches) and there seems to be plenty space for that in Brawl. This, ALSO, is of course temporary and will require a second file (a .gpf) which will then make Brawl+ require two files in order to experience the full game (.gct for codes and .gpf for patches).
Thats alot. Does the patches patch over itself or not? The difference would be 256*256 or 255+256

Revven

FrankerZ
Thats alot. Does the patches patch over itself or not? The difference would be 256*256 or 255+256
I do not know. All I know is what I said above. It'd be its own file so, I don't think it would affect the .gct in any way.

Any idea when Gecko 2.0 comes out?
No idea. I know it's coming soon though and Nuke & co. are working very rigorously on it.

Almas

Smash Lord
The patches would be applied to any location in Brawl memory. Thus we could write non-changing variables into their desired location, or pre-write ASM codes to the known unused sections of Brawl's memory.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
When you say Brawl's memory, are you referring to open space on the disc or the portion of the Wii's internal RAM it allocates? Where is Ocarina getting it's space from? o_o

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
makkun, i've been getting several messages regarding the... legibility of your walkthrough. they said it's a little long winded and kind of hard to follow; citing the large text. not telling you to do anything, just forwarding the concerns to you.

Almas

Smash Lord
There is no writing to the disk involved. For some reason all games have a little over 256 lines of unused RAM space. Brawl happens to have more, which is what code patching will allow us to access.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
There is no writing to the disk involved. For some reason all games have a little over 256 lines of unused RAM space. Brawl happens to have more, which is what code patching will allow us to access.
Awesome. Probably because it's dual-layer. Maybe we SHOULD be able to have more like 512 lines...?

@Jiang: I know it's really long, but it really shouldn't be that confusing. All anyone really needs to read is right under the section titled, in big yellow letters, "THE EASY WAY TO HACK YOUR WII". The rest of the tutorial is the long version for anyone interested, it clearly states "You do not need to continue reading after this point"

Of course.. I have no idea how to shorten up the thread without leaving out all of the information. I tried doing this a long time ago when I made the SD Card Pack, but I guess it's still too complicated. ):

Almas

Smash Lord
It has nothing to do with dual layer. The DVD holds all of the game's information. At any given time, only some of that information is relevant. There's no point the game knowing what Sheik can do when she isn't in the game.

For some reason, the coders just never bothered to use a certain spot in memory. Ionno. Maybe it's used in the SSE, where more memory is probably needed.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Bump!

Jiang, I put your banner at the top of my tutorial, I sort of figured it would be nice if all the major Brawl+ threads had it. But I can understand if only the FAQ should have it, so if you want me to take it down, just let me know! It's no problem. (:

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Try not to double post. Don't worry, this thread will get plenty of bumping naturally.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I just got Homebrew up and working, and I must say, Brawl+ is incredibly fun. Although I prefer the original buffering system, the ability to actually combo is beyond amazing. Now I can actually do what I want to do with Fox.

Now my problem is balancing out when to play Brawl+, and not get too used to it.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Why would you try to "not get too used to it" if you say that it is "incredibly fun" and "beyond amazing?" :confused:

In any event, I'm glad you enjoy it. Spread the good word.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Why would you try to "not get too used to it" if you say that it is "incredibly fun" and "beyond amazing?" :confused:

In any event, I'm glad you enjoy it. Spread the good word.
For tournaments. Obviously it's not legal here.

But yeah, I will certainly spread the good word (where it is legal to do so).

Revven

FrankerZ
For tournaments. Obviously it's not legal here.

But yeah, I will certainly spread the good word (where it is legal to do so).
It's legal, people can set up a tournament for it, it's not "illegal" anywhere, it's just codes. Hell, you could bring your haxed Wii to tournaments with you and ask if anyone would want to try Brawl+ out (friendlies of course) and use your time from practice with it to show those people what's possible.

It's legal, it just wouldn't be legal in a tournament that isn't Brawl+.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
this project looks amazing props to you. i wont be trying it cause i dont want to mod my wii. but super awesome none the less

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
It's legal, people can set up a tournament for it, it's not "illegal" anywhere, it's just codes. Hell, you could bring your haxed Wii to tournaments with you and ask if anyone would want to try Brawl+ out (friendlies of course) and use your time from practice with it to show those people what's possible.

It's legal, it just wouldn't be legal in a tournament that isn't Brawl+.
I meant that's it's not tournament legal. I have no problems bringing my Wii to tournaments for friendlies, but I don't want to get too used to it; it'll bring down my non-Brawl+ performance.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
linking to the brawl+ forums is prohibited, so if you wish to post there, ask a friend, or ask someone in this forum for a link through AIM or something. it seems that linking to an irc channel is also not permitted, as that was also removed from the faq.

fascinating turn events, very fascinating.

zxeon

Smash Lord
I meant that's it's not tournament legal. I have no problems bringing my Wii to tournaments for friendlies, but I don't want to get too used to it; it'll bring down my non-Brawl+ performance.

It is tournament legal but you wouldn't play Melee or SSB64 at a Brawl tournament. It's the same with Brawl+.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
It is tournament legal but you wouldn't play Melee or SSB64 at a Brawl tournament. It's the same with Brawl+.
Okay, let me rephrase.
There are no Brawl+ tournaments here. They do not allow Brawl+ to be used for competitive play here.
There are, however, Melee side tournaments fairly often.

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay, let me rephrase.
There are no Brawl+ tournaments here. They do not allow Brawl+ to be used for competitive play here.
There are, however, Melee side tournaments fairly often.
You could still play it for friendlies. It really doesn't interfere with your vB skills (I should know, I play both). You can easily separate the two, at least, I can. lol

But, it's up to you I guess. Most of us just want this thing to spread around and since you go to tourneys, the best way to spread it is to have people at tourneys play it or try it out and see if they like it.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
You could still play it for friendlies. It really doesn't interfere with your vB skills (I should know, I play both). You can easily separate the two, at least, I can. lol

But, it's up to you I guess. Most of us just want this thing to spread around and since you go to tourneys, the best way to spread it is to have people at tourneys play it or try it out and see if they like it.
Most of the people around here know about it, and have played/do play it, just not for tournaments. I've always been the kind of guy who gets his mind "fixed," so to speak. Like... I can't play Melee anymore, because I'm in Brawl mode. It'd take my awhile to get back to the feel of Melee. Similarly, when I play Brawl+ for awhile, sometimes I'll still be in "Brawl+" mode when I switch back. So I don't want to get too used to it.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Has linking to other forums always been prohibited? Can I link to AiB, for example? If just a Brawl+ link is prohibited, does this reflect negatively on our chances of a sub-forum? I was oh so hopeful...

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
The rules are that you cannot advertise other websites, but sense other websites are linked here all the time, I don't know where the line is drawn.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
I think that if they don't want us to link to another forum, that just gives us more of a chance of getting a sub-forum. Maybe they are thinking "Well, instead of them going somewhere else, we might as well give them somewhere to discuss Brawl+ on Smashboards..."

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Well, I just hope the opposite is also true: If they won't make a sub-forum they'll at least allow us to link to a separate semi-sanctioned forum.

storm92

Smash Ace
Well, I just hope the opposite is also true: If they won't make a sub-forum they'll at least allow us to link to a separate semi-sanctioned forum.
Yeah, it's not as if we're like breaking off or something from SWF, it's just a lot easier to keep our discussions there in a more organized manner.

Ezialo

Smash Rookie
*spinspinspin*
Congrats on capturing my attention. Unfortunately, I don't really feel like testing it NOW, not to mention my brawl has a history of freezing. But, from videos I'm impressed.

[rant]Oh, and haters, they really don't care what you have to say. Get over your selves. Does it effect you? I didn't think so.[/rant]

So yeah. Once Gecko wants to work, I'll be testing this thing out.

MORE STUFF: I was never looking for a more... Smash-like brawl. I'm fine with it. But this looked worthy of a look.

EDIT: Dur, I forgot my Main point. How does ROB look in this?

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
*spinspinspin*
Congrats on capturing my attention. Unfortunately, I don't really feel like testing it NOW, not to mention my brawl has a history of freezing. But, from videos I'm impressed.

[rant]Oh, and haters, they really don't care what you have to say. Get over your selves. Does it effect you? I didn't think so.[/rant]

So yeah. Once Gecko wants to work, I'll be testing this thing out.

MORE STUFF: I was never looking for a more... Smash-like brawl. I'm fine with it. But this looked worthy of a look.

EDIT: Dur, I forgot my Main point. How does ROB look in this?
there're some ROB vids on youtube floating around. he's pretty beastly. everyone in brawl+ is looking really good. the only characters that are kind of questionable right now are bowser, link and ivysaur, and even they have some great stuff going for them as well.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Hes good. Most people seem like they're better, it's just harder to grasp since the entire tier-list may have shifted around them.

Example: Bowser. Shorter Shorthops and Arial lag reduction means that this guy can shuffl like a reptilian beast. He feels great, like a much improved character. But when you take into account the fact that many people got so much more out of the codes and that he just can't get out of combos very well now, he's actually one of the worse off characters.

Hibiki

Smash Apprentice
I guess tier depends on how you use your character.
Speed does count, people have preferential characters. But then again, if you know how to play your character and you can play them well: give them a try.

Top Bottom