• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl EGO's?

Zega

Smash Cadet
So i've been to a few tournaments in local Alabama and i've come in 2nd almost everytime.

Honestly irl i don't hav an ego whatsoever but it's something about seeing people that don't know how to short hop that really gets my ego swelling at brawl tournaments.

For some reason i just have a pretty big brawl ego o.O and when i fight someone my level that i could normally beat they often beat me just because they'll get ahead of me in the beginning of the match this is what happened on the final round in my last tournament.

What can i do to avoid this? I swear i have been working on it and i'm very aware of it i just get all this adriline pumping and I think i can beat anyone including mew2king himself. Should this be an attitude i should keep or should i try to refine that energy into something better?

help me out guys :/.

REL38

Smash Lord
Over-confidence and self-boasting usually proves to be more detrimental than helpful

It can cause someone to underestimate opponents

Underestimating usually results in being put at a disadvantage
Being put at a disadvantage can put an over-confident player into a state of aggression which leads to predictable moves that the opponent can capitalize on.

Personally, I see it more harmful than good

To answer, "knowing your place" is good imo
Coming to terms that x player is, indeed, better than you.
Acknowledging it can then put focus back on strategizing methods to beat the better player

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Part of being a good player in any competitive game is learning to keep your ego in check when you're obviously superior to your local peers.

It's both easy and natural to get a little carried away when you believe you have an "easy win" on your hands.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I just think of myself as the best around my place, even thought I am not. It at least helps me, I am not too overconfident about stuff. I don't underestimate opponents, I just always think I am better even thought I am not and so on.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Brawl takes no skill, Just smashing buttons. It's nothing like melee or smash64. There for, there is no real ego. What you feel is just hate against idiots.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
That's what you do in melee or 64.
Iv played every single smash. Brawl is the worst. You cannot have a real opinion that anyone should listen to till you played each smash competitively. Brawl, is just for hacks.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Brawl takes no skill, Just smashing buttons. It's nothing like melee or smash64. There for, there is no real ego. What you feel is just hate against idiots.
Wut.

Its the same for all the games.

Haters gonna hate.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Wut.

Its the same for all the games.

Haters gonna hate.
What is the same? That's a dumb post. You should have never said that because,

1. Not enough detail to know what you were talking about.
2. Improper Grammar, It's "It's" not "Its". It is, It's.
3. I do not hate anything, nor am I a "hater" I simple dislike idiots and foolish reply's like you'res.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
That's what you do in melee or 64.
Are you two serious?

I sure hope not. If either of you were serious and not trolling, I'd consider having suicidal thoughts based on the state of the world. Seriously, neither of you can possibly be this stupid. Please tell me you both are just trolling me here. Come on, guys. This isn't funny.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace

3. I do not hate anything, nor am I a "hater" I simple dislike idiots and foolish reply's like you'res.
Its been the same button layout since the first.

Haters gonna troll.

global-wolf

Smash Champion

1. You have improper capitalization. It's not "Improper Grammar," it's "Improper grammar."
2. You have incomplete sentences. "Not enough detail..." should be "There is not enough detail...."
3. The comma in "It is, It's" should not be there. There should be quotation marks around "it's," which should not be capitalized. Also, that sentence is redundant.
4. You forgot to put a period after "hater."
5. "I simple dislike..." should be "I simply dislike."
6. "Reply's" is spelled wrong. It should be spelled "replies."
7. "You'res" should be spelled "yours."
8. You are a hypocrite.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
guys just stfu and stop feeding the troll.

Anyway, I think that an ego can be a very bad thing. If you think that you are better than the person, then you will end up playing worse, just like what was said earlier.

But I suppose you could somehow redirect your ego and turn it into some sort of confidence before a match to prevent panic.

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
I don't consider myself to have that big of an ego in Brawl but I know my place. I can tell whose better than me and who isn't, and if my friends are being scrubs I show em' whose boss! ;)

Although sometimes I go into a game expecting to completely destroy my opponent when in fact I end up losing myself. Its the attitude I guess. Going into a game underestimating an opponent gets you to sub consciously play worse.

To be honest, I have my fair share of losses to people far worse than me e.g. worse grounding, spammers, etc so I try and lose the mind set and play my best.

What I do is:
~Don't expect to win. Try to win.
~Don't think you'll lose. Try to get upset if you lose.
~Never get cocky.

That mind set has always worked for me.

Zega

Smash Cadet

yeah well i don't like *******s who think there better than everyone else. Everyone is entitled to there opinion, and the very meaning of the word has nothing to do with what's right or wrong.

Swanky Charles

Smash Rookie
Warioware Stage. I drive the Potatomobile.
I don't consider myself to have that big of an ego in Brawl but I know my place. I can tell whose better than me and who isn't, and if my friends are being scrubs I show em' whose boss! ;)

Although sometimes I go into a game expecting to completely destroy my opponent when in fact I end up losing myself. Its the attitude I guess. Going into a game underestimating an opponent gets you to sub consciously play worse.

To be honest, I have my fair share of losses to people far worse than me e.g. worse grounding, spammers, etc so I try and lose the mind set and play my best.

What I do is:
~Don't expect to win. Try to win.
~Don't think you'll lose. Try to get upset if you lose.
~Never get cocky.

That mind set has always worked for me.
Ehh, well, I definitely agree with the first thing. I agree with the second rule as well, although I try and keep cool after losing a match. Unless I die in a super-humiliating way. (Fish food, Warioware antics, or Big Blue bull**** :T )

Never get cocky? EHH...

Sometimes that can be what makes a funny match.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
Personally I believe that having an EGO is a nice way to bait players into trying to underestimate you. By saying things like -insert name-'s -insert move- is dumb, I want them to feel like they need to show me that I'm wrong. Also if you come off as having an EGO, no one wants to lose to someone like that and tend to get frustrated against the idea which it hurts his or her gameplay.

Of course when I lose to someone I don't get upset over it; instead, I tend to have motivation to try harder and do better. I think trying to find that someone who is better than you and training to overcome that person is the best mindset to have in brawl.

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
I don't have an ego over a video game cause I play to play. So what if I end up doing good to the point of pulling off multiple victories and winning the tournament after all is said and done? Doesn't affect me none, haters gonna hate, and people will probably nerd rage but all I am thinking about is getting a burger from ruby tuesday on the way home.

meh.

Chaos Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
^^

This. Except for the burger part. Just focus on playing the game and having fun with it. If you win, big deal. If you lose, big deal. Just don't lose to noobs and scrubs who constantly brag about being the best. Always finish them with a spike. :chuckle:

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
^^Idk man, have you had a burger from those guys?

It's like miracle between two sesame seed buns omg <3

Pixels

Smash Rookie
...Also if you come off as having an EGO, no one wants to lose to someone like that and tend to get frustrated against the idea which it hurts his or her gameplay.

Of course when I lose to someone I don't get upset over it; instead, I tend to have motivation to try harder and do better. I think trying to find that someone who is better than you and training to overcome that person is the best mindset to have in brawl.
Pretty much this, it's playing mind games before the match even starts. Psyche out the opposition, may not always work and don't go overboard with it or you'll just come off as arrogant and a jerk.

Losings just a part of it, it's there to tell you 'improve this in your game'. If you know why you lost and you can work on it then you've left that match with something to reflect one positively.

Top Bottom