• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl doesn't suck.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
I dont know why people are saying that brawl sucks. I mean it has online gameplay and much more characters. It's even more balanced than melee. I mean if you people are taking hints from people like gimpyfish and EPF, then have you played the game enough? Im tired of you people whining about tripping. So stop complaining about brawl and just play the game.

*runs*

SageMiomo

Smash Rookie
Because people think that because of all the things that were removed + tripping, the game is no longer deep, therefore it has no competition whatsoever. And Gimpy is a great guy, bashing him like that is not very nice. Personally, I think with time we will either evolve to Brawl, or back to Meele.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
You're missing the entire point of their threads, no one is saying Brawl sucks.

I'm not going to yell at you, but I can tell you that you have a big misunderstanding here.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
1. It's slower
2. It's less deep
3. Tripping
4. Lack of hitstun

Really, that is all you need since depth covers everything from Advanced Techniques to the whole ledge sweetspot issue.

And I agree with the post above me, they aren't saying it sucks, they are usually saying these are the reasons they don't like it, compared to Melee.

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
lol. you don't have to like gimpy to see that brawl is missing a couple of components that make this game a competitive fighter. go read some other threads, there's plenty of reasons. don't be lazy.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
1. It's slower
2. It's less deep
3. Tripping
4. Lack of hitstun

Really, that is all you need since depth covers everything from Advanced Techniques to the whole ledge sweetspot issue.

And I agree with the post above me, they aren't saying it sucks, they are usually saying these are the reasons they don't like it, compared to Melee.
1. Who cares?
2. Obviously that's not a problem.
3. Are you serious? Tripping is too overrated.
4. There are enough combos in this game. Look at Metaknight.

Overall I would say that this game has much better graphics and is more detailed. It's a new game. Nobody is gonna get the hang of it in the first month. You have to work on increasing your skills.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Ok I did not say that Gimpy sucks. I mean you people are taking tripping too seriously. Good players know how to dodge when they trip.

shizznitt

Smash Rookie
Us competitive players don't despise the game, we just don't see it as a advanced melee. The slow gameplay and lack of combos turns a match into anyone's game. It's a fun game no doubt, I play it almost daily, but it's not as advanced as melee is.

Ichida

Smash Ace
No matter how many times we drill it into their heads, people just can't comprehend the fact that Brawl isn't Melee 2.0. This is the underlying cause of ALL Brawl hate.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Plus, it's not like you're going to trip every single match. It's just a scenario that happens every now and then.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Overall I would say that this game has much better graphics and is more detailed.
Not disagreeing with your or anything but you sound like most of the Xbox360/PS3 fanboys I know there. "The game has good graphics so it's way better than <insert game>."

Anyway, you can see what people think about the game just by reading topics on this board.

1. Who cares?
Apparently a lot of people. I don't mind the slower game, but just by reading topics around this board you see people saying the game is too slow. Just look at the "high gravity" topics.

2. Obviously that's not a problem.
You're kidding, right? This is probably one of the most complained about issues in the game.

3. Are you serious? Tripping is too overrated.
Just read around, you see tripping brought up all the time as one of the biggest issues with the game. I think it was a stupid addition, I have lost matches because of it, but I don't hate the game or anything because of it.

4. There are enough combos in this game. Look at Metaknight.
A few characters can combo, therefore the lack of hitstun isn't an issue? That doesn't make much sense. Of the four I listed this is really the only one I have too much of a problem with, I hate how easy it is to get punished for successfully hitting your opponent.

mas369

Smash Apprentice
Really, nearly all Melee players don't think Brawl sucks, they just think it is not as good as Melee. And don't use the whole "it's a different game" thing to defend it, cause it isn't. They just changed some physics and mechanics, but it's still the same game on a basic level. I haven't decided which I like more, but the melee side seems to have the better arguments right now.

The only people who truly hate Brawl are Sony Fanboys, Microsoft Fanboys, fighting game traditionalists and Jack Thompson, and to them I say
LEAVE HER ALONE!!!

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Well, in due time, we'll have effective combos... Remember the transition from ssb64 to melee?

In smash64, hitstun was so great, 0% to death combos were common and the tier list was almost made around who could perform such combos and who couldn't.

In melee, hitstun was reduced. But in due time, short hopping and wavedashing opened pathways for new combos. Advanced techniques brought in a plethora of new options and improved gameplay to the max.

In brawl, hitstun was reduced even further, so much that combos seem impossible. The only moves that truly combo are rapid jabs into a wall, moves that combo into themselves (shiek's ftilt, and many multi-hit attacks), and select character's chain grabs. All other attacks can combo, just not 100% fool proof. In time, one lucky person will "exploit" the game in a way that will magically improve gameplay, similar to what happened with the discovery of wavedashing in melee.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Anybody who compares Brawl and Melee at this point are idiots.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Well, in due time, we'll have effective combos... Remember the transition from ssb64 to melee?

In smash64, hitstun was so great, 0% to death combos were common and the tier list was almost made around who could perform such combos and who couldn't.

In melee, hitstun was reduced. But in due time, short hopping and wavedashing opened pathways for new combos. Advanced techniques brought in a plethora of new options and improved gameplay to the max.

In brawl, hitstun was reduced even further, so much that combos seem impossible. The only moves that truly combo are rapid jabs into a wall, moves that combo into themselves (shiek's ftilt, and many multi-hit attacks), and select character's chain grabs. All other attacks can combo, just not 100% fool proof. In time, one lucky person will "exploit" the game in a way that will magically improve gameplay, similar to what happened with the discovery of wavedashing in melee.
Thats basically it just got to wait to "exploit" and then you can finally have fun till your hearts content. Its just so early to ***** .

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
1. It's slower
Yes, fox is slower than he was in melee but Bowser is slower too. so, why exactly does that change? I play MarvelVsCapcom on Turbo2 speed, and still had no problem with melee slower motions. Is just adaptation

2. It's less deep
And the sky is brighter here. Any reference point?

3. Tripping
If you can't admit the existence of luck as a definitive factor in a equal match, you havent really played then. Besides, is random, so you can very well lose for one tripping as much as your oponent, be it a noob or the most pro player in the world.

4. Lack of hitstun
well, this indeed affects gameplay, but ins the same way that speed does. IF everyone has it, or doesnt have it, what's the point? I could very well complain that it has no hadokens, but meh

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
What does everyone mean by tripping?

I've played Melee for the last six years and I've never tripped. In Brawl, you randomly "trip"?

Trip over??

And what do people mean there aren't as many combos? What do people mean by combos? As in edgeguarding or something? Or hitting someone over and over again without them hitting you?

From how I imagine Brawl, I think it has heaps of potential to be a game which is decided on who has the more skill. Why is Brawl worse if it doesn't have as many advanced techniques? Wouldn't that force players to think of new ways to win? Like distracting your opponent in different ways? eg. Samus keeping distance from [insert character] and distracting opponent by repetitively dropping bombs. I don't know, I haven't played Brawl yet, but when I play Melee I don't use half the advanced techs and I would rather work on mindgames and changing my own pace of the game to be victorious.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Right now, the forums aren't the greatest place to be if you want positive feed back on Brawl.

Most people dislike it because they arent as good at it as they were in melee.

I personally LOVE brawl. Melee just seems old and raggedy compared to it.

Whats sad is, when you have a positive opinion on these forums, you get flamed to hell.

A negative one seems to get accepted.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Look up a user named VEC. Maybe he can teach you that if you stop complaining and apply yourself, you can be a very good Brawl player. Of course he'll teach you this through a beating. He's a take-on-all-comers type of person so he'll play almost anyone. At first, he was skeptical of Brawl and said Melee was a much more competitive game, but he thought Brawl was more fun, so he dedicated himself to getting good at the game. Maybe after he whoops some sense into you, you'll realize this too.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I raged so much by reading this.

we got almost everything we requested for brawl:
1.online play
2.stage builder
3.match recording+photos during ordinary battles
4.a much bigger roster and fewer clones
5.better single player mode
6.spectator mode(at least I wanted it)
7.much MUCH more game balance
8.more stages in general
ect...
yet people are still complaining about this game saying melee is better because "it has combos and no tripping". I am so tired of hearing this,not having endless combos does not make the game any less competitive, it just makes it so that a character/player can now fight back easier instead of getting hit by move X=victory by combo.

the reason it is slower is because MANY people said it was too fast and enjoyed the N64 speed more. not saying it was you guys.

also AT werent even realy techs to begin with, they were ways of taking advantage of the physics to win. if they were techniques put into the game, we would have kept them.(I dont want to here any **** about this comment).

besides, wouldnt you rather play against your freinds who arnt competitive and them still have a chance to win because of these factors? I know I was tired of it.

if you guys want to play melee another 6-7 years again just for wave dashing and not enjoy brawls many features fine, but I am going to enjoy the **** out of this game while you play the same stages over and over and over again for a long time.

all I ever here from gamers anymore is BBBBAAWWWing about so-so feature. why dont you guys play the game to enjoy it instead of looking at the bad things and complaining about them the entire time!

AlexX

Smash Ace
What I don't get is what people mean by "go back to Melee"... Do they mean they'll stop playing Brawl and go back to playing Melee again? That doesn't make any sense, as that's akin to giving up on the Wii to go back to playing the Gamecube. Plus there's the fact that Melee tournaments are inevitably going to occur less and less often until only Brawl tournaments remain... Some may not like it, but it's happened with every multiplayer series before it, and I highly doubt that Smash will be an exception.

RedLink555

Smash Cadet
you do realize that this exploit you're looking for might never come. and what then. i played melee and i was pretty good by tourney standards and i never wavedashed. ever. i Lcanceled and that's it, and i go by. in my opinion, melee is a fighting game. you can combo so well and so fluently that it's like the combos were made for the game. i see brawl as a mario party type deal. its fun to play with my friends for hours on end, but on a one on one match it's just not fun to hit once and recover, hit once and recover, hit once and recover. and by the way, i have lost matches because i tripped. im not complaining about brawl because im not as good as i was with melee, but if you take a character like link and compare him to what he was like in melee you find an atrocity that should be punished by death. im not doubting that if you apply yourself you can't be good at brawl, but the tactics you'd have to use are:
1. be a cheap ***
2. be a superuber character that beats all (pit, ike, meta)
3. be tactical as apposed to skilled (which you may see as a good or bad thing, i'd rather be skilled)

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
What does everyone mean by tripping?

I've played Melee for the last six years and I've never tripped. In Brawl, you randomly "trip"?

Trip over??

And what do people mean there aren't as many combos? What do people mean by combos? As in edgeguarding or something? Or hitting someone over and over again without them hitting you?

From how I imagine Brawl, I think it has heaps of potential to be a game which is decided on who has the more skill. Why is Brawl worse if it doesn't have as many advanced techniques? Wouldn't that force players to think of new ways to win? Like distracting your opponent in different ways? eg. Samus keeping distance from [insert character] and distracting opponent by repetitively dropping bombs. I don't know, I haven't played Brawl yet, but when I play Melee I don't use half the advanced techs and I would rather work on mindgames and changing my own pace of the game to be victorious.
If you haven't played Brawl then you don't really know.

In Brawl you randomly trip for no reason at all. This does not exist in Melee. That's why you don't know about it.

When people say there aren't as many combos, they mean there aren't as many combos. In Melee, nearly everyone had a short period of time after getting hit when they couldn't jump, airdodge, or attack. This is called hitstun. By taking advantage of hitstun, you could string multiple hits together. In Brawl, the hitstun is so short that it's virtually impossible to string multiple hits together, so long as the player who get hit attempts to escape.

Tripping alone makes Brawl decided less on who has more skill. No, the removal of game mechanics from Melee does not force players to think of new ways to win. It forces you to use options that already exist in Melee, meanwhile, some of the other options you could have used in Melee you can't use in Brawl because they no longer exist. Samus has fewer options/ways of winning in Brawl than she did in Melee. When you play Melee and not use "advanced techs," you're not working on your mindgames; you're limiting yourself by not taking advantage of everything your character is capable of. It's like trying to play Samus without using any of her projectiles and calling that "mindgames."

Vet

Smash Cadet
There are enough combos in this game. Look at Metaknight.
And what other character?

The points made about the lack of depth and lack of hitstun have basically reduced the game to hit and run and a bunch of one hit pokes. Combos have basically disappeared which has turned Brawl into a campy, slower gamer where the more skilled player with not always win.

I do enjoy the game, but I also see that the game is definetly nowhere near as good as Melee in a competitive sense. The only character in this game who can really combo at all (read death combo) is Metaknight and he is so overpowered that he really belongs in a game more suited to speed like Melee than this slower game.

In short, Brawl is a fun game, it definetly is, but most of the people who do not like the game play it for the competitiveness they get out of it. Brawl, unfortunately, is nowhere near as competitive as Melee was and honestly I dont think it ever will be.

Top Bottom