• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Competitive Videos - NEW Wifi Wars Brawl Tournament Videos! (2-11-08)

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I have a few MOTHERnerd questions...

7) Is the stun on Lucas' PK Thunder very long, or does it leave the enemy relatively unflinched, ala Melee Fox's blaster?

And most paramount- 8) Can you DJC with Lucas or Ness?
It's pretty long and it knocks them up just like Ness's. It just so happens to keep going after it hits them.

And you can't DJC with Ness. :'(

get as many technical vids as you can lee! show off some move spam etc, see if full jump arials are usefu since apparently sfhhling is kaput. maybe show us a bunch of short hop special (b) moves, see if any of them cancel on landing
You can't cancel Falco's laser with a shorthop and you can't cancel diddy's peanut gun.

Thank you for doing this!

Is there anything you can say about Toon Link and Pikmin & Olimar? Does Olimar feel like a difficult character to play as? Does Toon Link rely on the same killing moves as Young Link did in Melee, or does he finally have some power to him?
Toon link was ridiculously hard to kill for some reason. Maybe it is because he is so short. His projectiles suck compared to regular Link. His boomerang is insanely slow. His down air is ridiculous. It is powerful and he comes down so very fast when he does it. All of his other moves are about the same as Young Link from Melee.

Olimar was very hard to use. When I was playing him it felt like the first time I played Peach in Melee. I can't tell if hes good or not because he was so hard for me to use.

Would love if you gave some Pit impressions.

:D
In my opinion Pit > Metaknight. Pit has good combo moves just like Metaknight, an amazing recovery, and he has a decent amount of kill moves. His final smash is ridiculous as well and will most likely kill everyone. His recovery is very cool. His arrows travel very fast and are hard to avoid.

With all the changes, I'd just like to ask how much fun the game is competitively. So far these changes sound like a drag, especially since I was just getting into Melee. Just tell me if its still fun.

Annoying changes aside, I have some questions about Sonic:

- I don't know the exact term for it, but can he chase techrolls? Like in Melee, you could grab people after they techroll before they even got done with the recovery animation, if you were fast enough of course. I thought Sonic might be good at this considering his high ground speed, but without DD it might make it a little harder.

- Can you short-hop cancel his spin dash? Like maybe spindash, short-hop back air combo? This would be useful at low percentages where the spindash has low knockback.

- Can his Neutral B be used to edgeguard, or is it so slow that most people could aerial him away before he gets to them?

- Can his Up B bumper damage when it falls down? Used to edgeguard after pursuing them to the bottom of the stage maybe? Does his recovery go up slanted ceilings?

Appreciate you doing this, you've been very informative.
After playing today I can definitely say it is fun competitively. The Final Smashes are super frustration but the rest is all good. The more I play the more I forget about Melee and start to play Brawl style.

Sonic can tech chase. His moves aren't very quick at all so I doubt he could use his neutral B to edgeguard. I don't think the bumper causes damage.

I've got some questions for a fellow (Melee) Falcon main. :)

1. Can he still moonwalk?

2. What do you mean by 'tripping,' as in you said you could trip with Falcon and Fox?

3. In one vid I think I saw a Falcon shield in the middle of the Punch, and still punching afterwards. Can you do other things during the move besides turn?

4. Have you seen the Isaac (from Golden Sun) AT in action yet? It has to be unlocked first, but I don' t know how, sorry...

Thanks for the answers. ^_^
1. Doesn't seem like it. 2.I don't know exactly what causes it, but sometimes a character just falls over and lays on the ground. It happened a lot when I was trying to moonwalk. 3.I don't think you can do anything else. 4.No, sorry!

You're probably sick of questions, but I'll throw mine out there anyway.

These all concern Link.

How's his recovery? Compared to others' his seems to be REALLY bad. but that's just me.

Just first impressions. Is he above or below average?
His recovery is good. He has a tether and his upB snaps to the edge so you can't edgeguard it. It seems like the tether won't catch though if someone is ledgehogging. He seems to be good, but not as good as I'd hoped. His up B is useless now unless you charge it but his smashes and projectiles are even better than they were in Melee.

it seems like if you force someone to land on the platform after an up+b it would be pretty easy to get a free fsmash off, maybe even charged. with his fsmash as strong as it is, this seems like it would be pretty powerful. but it's not really a major strategy with bowser in melee, so i'm wondering if it works better with ike in brawl.

do his throws have much lag? i.e. can he chase after an opponent and be able to attack them before they're able to land and shield with any throws? will any of them knock opponents to the ground consistently so you can tech chase?

does his up+b actually have any power? if you hit with the sword, will it always combo into the rest of his up+b? if not, what's the knockback on the sword when he throws it up?

lastly, if characters snap to the edge when recovering, is it possible for many characters to do techniques like flamehogging? for example with ike, can you repeatedly let go of the edge and forward/up b to maintain invincibility? this one's pretty important.

thanks if you can answer any of those.
You couldn't get an fsmash off but you could probably get a neutral B in the air, a fair, or a uair, which are all powerful. His UP b is strong and it throws them up into the combo. His throws are fairly powerful and since he moves so slow you can't hit them afterwards.

As far as I can tell, no one has an infinite ledge stall yet. There seems to be a delay from when you fall off until you can grab the edge again. It seems like you don't snap immediately after falling off and coming back up. If someone was doing some kind of fall with their up B over and over you could just run off the edge and smash back to edge hog.

I have a new video of Ike up on the video page.

I have a few questions...

1. How is Bowser?

2. Can you still ledge hop?

3. Can Ike chaingrab? (I've seen Dedede chaingrab)

4. What moves can Ike due out of a grab and out of a shield?

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions.
1. He isn't as slow as Ike but he isn't nearly as powerful. He seems to be one of the worst characters at the moment. 2. Yes you can and it works well. 3. No, I haven't been able to yet. 4. His moves are strong and he is slow so I don't think any.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
thank for the vids, nice to see some copetitve player play

i could be wrong but i noticed that on the battlefield
had items that showed up in two specific location
if true are there any other stages like this?

Proven

Smash Apprentice
You know, I was thinking about what you said with your impressions of Marth, and then I realized, a lot of characters have some sort of kill move on their Forward Air now...

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Your awsome man, spreading your SSBB wealth to the world :p

I have a very general yet important question:

1. How is the overall balance of the game, im really hoping its better, the weak balance of melee is what turned me eventually off it. Of course some characters will be better than others but more importantly, are there any super sucky/super powerful characters (the latter bieng more balance breaking) in the game?

Now for a few specifics if you don't mind

2. Word's going down that ganon has been NERFED is this true or does he just play comepletely different than in melee (what a random char to nerf if this is true) ----don't answer this like you answered "is link better" don't look at arials 1st, yes they are nerfed, but look at the char as a whole-----

3. some other characters i'm worried about is Samus and DK, Samus bieng changed and DK not getting the buffs he needed. Are they still able to keep up with the competition?

4. How's the Zelda/Sheik balance, are they both equally useful like their supposed to be and did sakurai fix their dysfunctional melee relationship?

thats all it would be nice if you answered, ty

Chojo

Smash Cadet
Here's the most important question of the day:

Do you, Lee Harris, and all your other friends that've played your copy of Brawl, ENJOY it? Is it FUN? Would you say it's more fun than Melee? If not, do you think it has the potential to be?

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
2. Word's going down that ganon has been NERFED is this true or does he just play comepletely different than in melee (what a random char to nerf if this is true)
people are just saying that ganon is nerfed because of the removal of L-canceling, and as far as we know ganon (as well as other characters with slow/strong air attacks) cannot reduce their lag upon landing an air attack. Hopefully a method will be discovered... after all we've got our fox trot now, woo hoo. : )

CO18

Smash Hero
Some Dedede info would be greatly appreciated. How was his lag when landing from aerials?

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Quick question:

Does Z still work for aerials?
Yep!

that lucario was good.
I know! It seems that players that weren't as technical in Melee pick up on Brawl much quicker. He was doing good.

Your awsome man, spreading your SSBB wealth to the world :p

I have a very general yet important question:

1. How is the overall balance of the game, im really hoping its better, the weak balance of melee is what turned me eventually off it. Of course some characters will be better than others but more importantly, are there any super sucky/super powerful characters (the latter bieng more balance breaking) in the game?

Now for a few specifics if you don't mind

2. Word's going down that ganon has been NERFED is this true or does he just play comepletely different than in melee (what a random char to nerf if this is true) ----don't answer this like you answered "is link better" don't look at arials 1st, yes they are nerfed, but look at the char as a whole-----

3. some other characters i'm worried about is Samus and DK, Samus bieng changed and DK not getting the buffs he needed. Are they still able to keep up with the competition?

4. How's the Zelda/Sheik balance, are they both equally useful like their supposed to be and did sakurai fix their dysfunctional melee relationship?

1. It's hard to tell at this point. All the broken moves that characters like Fox had were nerfed but at the same time L canceling was removed and that makes the slower characters less viable. It seems more balanced but we'll have to wait and see.

2. No he hasn't. His side-B is an unblockable grab. Similar to God Rugal on Capcom vs Snk. He picks them up, chokes them, and then they explode. His aerials are still very strong. He is definitely slow, but so are a lot of the characters.

3. Samus is actually very good from what I've played. Her dair has no landing lag at all and her dtilt and dsmash come out very fast just like in Melee. Her projecticles move faster now but they aren't as strong. Donkey Kong seems to be just mediocre, he definitely didn't get a super buff.

4. Yeah, I think they did well to balance them. Sheik is very very fast in Brawl compared to the other characters but she is insanely weak. Zelda is practically the opposite. Unfortunately, the change animation between Zelda and Sheik is long as hell in Brawl. Very, very long. Fortunately everyone is floatier so you can change you knock someone off the stage or if you get knocked off.

Some Dedede info would be greatly appreciated. How was his lag when landing from aerials?
Not bad, actually. I didn't use him too much but I won every match that I used him in. He has good priority and very good power. Combine that with a ridiculous recovery and he is a good character. His neutral B (the suck air move) sucks and I couldn't find any use for it.

S2

Smash Lord
I didn't see this being answered, but here's a quick one....

how are Sheiks

1.) needles. Are they still as useful

2.) the chain. Is it a real move now or does it still suck?

JCrash

Smash Rookie
Interesting thread though a big down side on the competitive play =/ Hey as a samus main (melee) does Zero Suit Samus play good?

Thanks in advance.

Aerozeke

Smash Cadet
One FINAL question... and I'm sure people will agree that it's important:

Is the game fun?

And, after listening to IGN's smashcast, I'm starting to have the not-feel-good about SSE--your thoughts on that? Is Emissary really that "boring" and "generic"?

Oh, and:

Could you guys test out that new air block technique?

Rose

Smash Journeyman
What are all of GaW's alternate colors? Thanks.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I didn't see this being answered, but here's a quick one....

how are Sheiks

1.) needles. Are they still as useful

2.) the chain. Is it a real move now or does it still suck?
They are still as good. Whenever you hit B it does not just throw one needle. If you hit B it starts charging like Samus's move. You hit B once it is charged to throw them all.

The chain still sucks :)

One FINAL question... and I'm sure people will agree that it's important:

Is the game fun?
Yes, it is very fun. Casually it is much better than Melee and competitively I can't make a comment yet. It is so different that no one knows what will come from it even just a month from now.

SSE rules. It is weird, dumb, funny, and amazing at the same time. It is a Smash game storyline, what does IGN expect? :p

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I must know these things about Marth:

Does his dair still spike?
Does his utilt still juggle fast fallers?
Is side-B still a good horizontal distance gainer for recovery?
Can he still do a short hop double fair?
Does ledgehop bair still work well as an edgeguard?

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I must know these things about Marth:

Does his dair still spike?
Does his utilt still juggle fast fallers?
Is side-B still a good horizontal distance gainer for recovery?
Can he still do a short hop double fair?
Does ledgehop bair still work well as an edgeguard?
Yes dair still spikes. Theres no such thing as fast fallers anymore, so no. No, it is more of a stall move to prevent from being edge guarded. Yes, he can probably do a shorthop double uair as well because the shorthops are higher now and he is floatier. For the last part do you mean when you do a bair to automatically turn him around to edgehog? If so, then yes, it still works the same way.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
I would like to know some things about Olimar:

1. Do different Pikmin affect how all of his other attacks work (ex. fair, usmash, etc.)?
2. How easy is it to accidentally kill off your Pikmin?
3. What are his alternate colors? ^_^
4. What weight and speed class would you classify him as?
5. Does he have a lot of comboability (Asuming that's a word. <_<)?

Lunaretic

Smash Apprentice
Great stuff, a few questions. : )

1) In a video I saw Marth's nB give him horizontal momentum(followed by a uB to get back on the stage). Does this work like his sideB did in melee for recovery?

2) From the video's I've seen of Lucario, he seems like a really solid character, do you have any quick impressions on him?

3) Who has the most manly taunt? Ike, Snake, or CFalcon?

Edit:

4) Who won that Ike-Lucario Match! >.> It was looking so interesting after Ike got that smashball. D:

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
can samus do her bomb jump in mid air?
Yes, the timing is different so it is slightly harder. It also does not send her as high.

Great stuff, a few questions. : )

1) In a video I saw Marth's nB give him horizontal momentum(followed by a uB to get back on the stage). Does this work like his sideB did in melee for recovery?

2) From the video's I've seen of Lucario, he seems like a really solid character, do you have any quick impressions on him?

3) Who has the most manly taunt? Ike, Snake, or CFalcon?

Edit:

4) Who won that Ike-Lucario Match! >.> It was looking so interesting after Ike got that smashball. D:
1. I only had the chance to test it out a few times. During that match I didn't realize it gave me so much momentum. It ended up killing me because I couldnt make it back. I'll let you know later.

2. He is like a better Mewtwo. His recovery is like Fox's side B but you can aim it. His counter is pretty good and it looks really cool.

3. "Show me your moves" does it get any manlier?

4. Ike :)

Lunaretic

Smash Apprentice
Yes, the timing is different so it is slightly harder. It also does not send her as high.

1. I only had the chance to test it out a few times. During that match I didn't realize it gave me so much momentum. It ended up killing me because I couldnt make it back. I'll let you know later.

2. He is like a better Mewtwo. His recovery is like Fox's side B but you can aim it. His counter is pretty good and it looks really cool.

3. "Show me your moves" does it get any manlier?

4. Ike :)
Thanks for the quick response, also, hooray Ike! :D

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
Also, I don't think we got word about jump-canceling stuff.

EDIT: And ledge teching. Can't forget ledge teching.

Mr. Ryu

Smash Rookie
Hey, I have a few questions about Captain Falcon:

1.) Is it harder to land the knee now?

2.) Is it possible to combo into knee or anything for that matter?

3.) Are his short hopped aerials crap now?

Scott667

Smash Rookie
Great work LeeHarris, you've made many Smashers proud.

I have but two questions, one has popped up before in the thread but you didn't answer

1. Does Marth still have an insanely long grab range? (does it still go past his arm like in Melee)

2. There is a new Pokemon Stage known as Spear pillar (the one where a legendary Pokemon appears after twenty seconds and starts doing random things to the stage). First off, is it a fun stage for semi-competitive play? and is it true that when The stage flips (left to right) the controls also invert?

Thanks!

Top Bottom