• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Competitive Videos - NEW Wifi Wars Brawl Tournament Videos! (2-11-08)

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
well a lot of people have been reqesting info from u dont worry if u dont get around mine

im freakin tired of seeing ike players killind themselves and not wiggling (im sure u no back and forth on the joystick) to recover faster for a quick draw recovry, im not even seeing a 2 hit combo (even tho its good AAA doesnt count) which is totally possible i havent seen an aether spike ledge cancel
havent seen eruption ko or used as a edgeguard
havent seen a decent counter atk against a move butt MORE IMPORTANTLY COUNTERING A PROJECTILE
havent seen a spike by him maybe his dair,nair or the endstroke of fair
i want to see the length of a fully charged side b airieal (use the bunny ears if u have to)
havent noticed ANY SAF (WTF!!!!)

so my request is...very demanding so u dont have to do it but id greatly appriciate it

okay leeharis this is what id like u too do

main ike (for like 2 hrs dont want to be too demanding) and try to be creative and use EVERYTHING and try the stuff above and recored at least three 4 stock matches with ike vs slow faller, fast faller, and a floaty

im sry leeharris its hard to ask for help without being demanding but it would appease my soul until march 9 rolls around
it would be greatly appreciated :)

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Thanks for the info on how to unlock Wolf. I am going to go take videos now and I will be back soon to post them.

Leave any questions for me and I'll address them when I return. We also have a thread on Wifiwars.com forums if you want to discuss it there.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Wait...are you sure that there is no dash dancing? I've seen it be done in a video I posted in the "No L-cancel confirmed in Brawl" Thread.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qROesVhZ1JY

2:00-2:05 it's very breif, but noticeable.
We're seeing different things. It looks like he starts to walk to the left before dashing to the right. He even takes one step to the left first, or part of one.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
get as many technical vids as you can lee! show off some move spam etc, see if full jump arials are usefu since apparently sfhhling is kaput. maybe show us a bunch of short hop special (b) moves, see if any of them cancel on landing

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Has Diddy any good moves to kill? I heard his throws are decent.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
Can Falcon still moonwalk?
Also, If I got Japanese Wii/Brawl you think I'd be able to play with others(non-Japanese) who did the same? I was wondering this because someone else said they couldn't play Wifi, but they were only trying "With Anyone."

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Thank you for doing this!

Is there anything you can say about Toon Link and Pikmin & Olimar? Does Olimar feel like a difficult character to play as? Does Toon Link rely on the same killing moves as Young Link did in Melee, or does he finally have some power to him?

D4RK_HUNT3R

Smash Cadet
Can you give your own personal rating on how you liked each game in the series thus far?

SSB: /10
SSBM: /10
SSBB: /10

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Then explain what happens in the video at 5:40-5:42
Because she was giant sized, I can't tell if she was just turning around/"walk" dancing or doing an actual dash dance. Especially since the game does program for you having a larger stride, so if she really was doing a dash dance she would have actually gone into the dash animation.

Edit: I just went and check another video that has ZSS doing her dash animation. The video you linked me definitely doesn't show her dash dancing then, as far as I can tell with compressed flash videos.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
With all the changes, I'd just like to ask how much fun the game is competitively. So far these changes sound like a drag, especially since I was just getting into Melee. Just tell me if its still fun.

I mean, the controls were so slick, natural, and satisfying in Melee, but this is just ridiculous. Its like they made every effort to dumb the game down and make it boring and annoying. The lag after aerials makes no sense, and just takes away fluidity for no reason at all. Maybe since the game is slower the moves are more satisfying, but so far Melee looks to be the better game. Also, the removal of desync annoys me to no end. Nice way to bridge the gap Sakurai, just take away options completely.

Annoying changes aside, I have some questions about Sonic:

- I don't know the exact term for it, but can he chase techrolls? Like in Melee, you could grab people after they techroll before they even got done with the recovery animation, if you were fast enough of course. I thought Sonic might be good at this considering his high ground speed, but without DD it might make it a little harder.

- Can you short-hop cancel his spin dash? Like maybe spindash, short-hop back air combo? This would be useful at low percentages where the spindash has low knockback.

- Can his Neutral B be used to edgeguard, or is it so slow that most people could aerial him away before he gets to them?

- Can his Up B bumper damage when it falls down? Used to edgeguard after pursuing them to the bottom of the stage maybe? Does his recovery go up slanted ceilings?

Appreciate you doing this, you've been very informative.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Is the game fun?

From everything I've seen thus far, it does seem alot more similiar to Smash 64 than melee, perhaps because melee had a screwed up physics engine with alot of flaws, and major character balance issues (granted I didn't see most of them as they were partly fixed in the PAL copy)

I personally prefer 64 to melee in how the game 'feels', I had tons more fun playing 64 battle royales with 3 of my friends than playing 1v1 on Final Destination against Fox/Falco over and over until I fought one who could employ his fantastic "same-move-over-and-over" tactic to snag 1st place away from me. Oh god now I'm beginning to rant, I'll end it there.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
I've got some questions for a fellow (Melee) Falcon main. :)

1. Can he still moonwalk?

2. What do you mean by 'tripping,' as in you said you could trip with Falcon and Fox?

3. In one vid I think I saw a Falcon shield in the middle of the Punch, and still punching afterwards. Can you do other things during the move besides turn?

4. Have you seen the Isaac (from Golden Sun) AT in action yet? It has to be unlocked first, but I don' t know how, sorry...

Thanks for the answers. ^_^

flyingmule

Smash Cadet
As others have said, as popular as Melee was for competitive play, it wasn't very well-balanced, namely due to many unintended consequences in the physics engine (Air-dodges giving huge shifts in momentum, feigning into dodgesshields eliminating fall-lag, etc.) Very little of these were known when Melee came out, but time and practice revealed the outlets for 'skill'.

Remember, there are still people out there that think 64 is better than Melee.

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
How's Brawl any different. All it is now is a Marth fest. L-cancelling is what balanced Marth and Sheik with the rest of the cast lol!

Santini

Smash Journeyman
You're probably sick of questions, but I'll throw mine out there anyway.

These all concern Link.

How's his recovery? Compared to others' his seems to be REALLY bad. but that's just me.

Just first impressions. Is he above or below average?

Lunaris

Smash Ace
with ike, is edge hogging as powerful as it seems like it would be?

it seems like if you force someone to land on the platform after an up+b it would be pretty easy to get a free fsmash off, maybe even charged. with his fsmash as strong as it is, this seems like it would be pretty powerful. but it's not really a major strategy with bowser in melee, so i'm wondering if it works better with ike in brawl.

do his throws have much lag? i.e. can he chase after an opponent and be able to attack them before they're able to land and shield with any throws? will any of them knock opponents to the ground consistently so you can tech chase?

does his up+b actually have any power? if you hit with the sword, will it always combo into the rest of his up+b? if not, what's the knockback on the sword when he throws it up?

lastly, if characters snap to the edge when recovering, is it possible for many characters to do techniques like flamehogging? for example with ike, can you repeatedly let go of the edge and forward/up b to maintain invincibility? this one's pretty important.

thanks if you can answer any of those.

lastly you might want to try out the glitch in http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140405
and if you can answer the questions in http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3810493#post3810493
that would be great. it could be a pretty powerful glitch(or a worthless one).

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Is the game fun?

From everything I've seen thus far, it does seem alot more similiar to Smash 64 than melee, perhaps because melee had a screwed up physics engine with alot of flaws, and major character balance issues (granted I didn't see most of them as they were partly fixed in the PAL copy)

I personally prefer 64 to melee in how the game 'feels', I had tons more fun playing 64 battle royales with 3 of my friends than playing 1v1 on Final Destination against Fox/Falco over and over until I fought one who could employ his fantastic "same-move-over-and-over" tactic to snag 1st place away from me. Oh god now I'm beginning to rant, I'll end it there.
I don't see how Brawl is any closer to Smash64 than Melee was. I actually think its the most distinct of the bunch in that it bears almost no resemblance to either. The feel of Smash64 I loved was the effectiveness of it all. You would hardly ever be clumped together in F4Alls, all the moves were strong and satisfying. Brawl seems to be just the opposite, with kill moves happening at higher percentages and DI/hitstun changes that don't allow as many combos.

I used to think SSB64 was better than Melee, but once I got used to Melee I had much more fun with it. Its terribly unbalanced, but I've gone back to replay it more so than even the original Soul Calibur, and I loved that game a lot...

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
what did you use regarding the power issue with the voltage differences? does it work that way if you play for like 10 hours straight?

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
I have a few MOTHERnerd questions...

1) How do Ness and Lucas compare?

2) Is Ness more similar to his 64 self or his Melee self?

3) Is there any plausible reason to ever use Lucas' upsmash?

4) What are Lucas' throws?

5) PK Flash... Is it improved over the Melee version? If so/not, how was it changed?

6) Ness' PK Fire seems to have more range, is that the case?

7) Is the stun on Lucas' PK Thunder very long, or does it leave the enemy relatively unflinched, ala Melee Fox's blaster?

And most paramount- 8) Can you DJC with Lucas or Ness?
Additionally: If you're falling when airdodging, do you continue to fall, or pause in the air?

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
I have a few questions...

1. How is Bowser?

2. Can you still ledge hop?

3. Can Ike chaingrab? (I've seen Dedede chaingrab)

4. What moves can Ike due out of a grab and out of a shield?

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions.

rexpro02

Smash Cadet
ANY MARIO INFO?? is he stronger weaker? any relationship with dr.mario?

...is metaknight good XD?

daniel-zaman

Smash Journeyman
ok

1.ledge teching- is it in still, or for that matter is wall teching still in? or is ledge teching not needed due to the instant grabs to the ledge?

2.platform canceling?- is it in and just extremely hard to do due to the lack of REAL fast falling?

my thoughts on competitive play are simple. this game will pwn. plain out. every one is thinking WAY to technical.

ex., imagine if ssbm was out for 2 days, and we were trying to thunders combos??? NO ONE WOULD KNOW WHAT THE **** TO DO. this game is a combo game. thats what smash has been about since it came out. the creativity of making up combos as you go along. therefor expanding the potential for variety in the game.thats why i like this game more than MVC there is no need to remember a 30 button combination to do a combo. all you do is follow your opponent. instead of asking whats was left in from ssbm, why dont we just see whats NEW? im 100 percent sure in 1 year this game will be insane. i my self plan on buying this game and sitting in datman's room with 4 of the most committed people i could find for days straight trying to see what NEW tech we can do, instead of finding new ways to do old ones.
i will find a way.
i will destroy this game.

on a side note- im really sure there will be lag canceling eventually.
furthermore, if lag canceling happens to not be in it, brawl will just be a giant mind game. any one who thinks mind games just vanish into thin air is a ******. if the game is slower, you will have to think that much FASTER to make up for the lag, making you think ahead 10 moves into the future.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
Hey guys,

I spent all last night playing the new copy of JP Brawl that came in. I wrote up some impressions and posted them over at WifiWars.com . Keep in mind that I am a competitive player so when I talk it is in terms of competition and not just brawling for fun.

Let me know what you think!: http://www.wifiwars.com/node/73

By the way, I will be posting some videos between me and some other competitive players tonight. Subscribe to the thread to watch for the updates!

**UPDATE4**

I am going to go play some more and record videos. I will be posting the videos here soon!

**UPDATE3**

As many of you know we at Wifi Wars are starting an online Smash League. Our registration for the league will be opening any day now, so if you want to reserve your name create an account on Wifiwars.com. We also have a thriving community of competitive Smash, Pokemon, MK, Strikers, etc players.

Here is the link to register: http://www.wifiwars.com/user/register

**UPDATE2**

Another big thing I forgot to add! Whenever you do a shorthopped aerial your momentum moving sideways drops to practically zero, especially if you are doing a nair. It is not like Melee where you keep moving after a shorthop. This makes the aerial game MUCH different than Melee.

**UPDATE**

Our copy is located at the D-Pad, a LAN center in New Braunfels, TX (between Austin and San Antonio). It is there during open hours and you can play. If you live in the south you should drive over and play! www.thedpadonline.com

Since their site seems to be getting hammered here is the address in case you want to play:

1024 San Antonio Street
New Braunfels, TX 78130
good stuff man finally some competitive impressions of the release ^_^

Chepe

Smash Lord
LeeHarris, if it isnt too much to ask can you try something I noticed in a demo vid? Actually, I didnt notice this thread before I made mine, and Id like to get results in that thread, so can you take a look at my request and post your results in there?

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140685

It isnt very hard at all, honest! Please, its about the possibility of a NEW ADVANCED TECHNIQUE for certain characters!

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
Did you unlock Luigi yet? I'd like to hear a little impressions on him. Like, any nerfs or buffs you could see? Thanks.

vagabond

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a ton for the video - despite our knowledge of removed techs, you guys still made the game look fast paced and fun. BTW, why were there items again?

Top Bottom