• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Eh, looks like everyone is deciding to post some updated match-up threads...?
Now what says that all these are accurate?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Eh, looks like everyone is deciding to post some updated match-up threads...?
Now what says that all these are accurate?
People will debate the matchups they don't agree with. They might even go to the matchup threads and debate it there. But eventually this matchup thread will become relatively accurate.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
it's not necessarily his knowledge. It's also the communities knowledge. If you don't like it, then debate.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Explain yourself. What makes the spacies hard to grab? Kirby has good traction, and can shield grab effectively.
They are capable of maintaining spacing more easily than Kirby because their projectiles have better range and less cooldown time than Kirby's ^B.

Except that Kirby;s ground speed doesn't make up for his traction so his dash shield grab range isn't going to extend his grab range by a significant amount. I believe the spacies are also all faster than him on the ground so most of the time Kirby would be in the air in order to approach.

Not against Kirby, who can juggle them with uair, hit them across the level with bair or fair, or stop approaches underneath with dair, mixing nair in. All of his moves are fairly quick and powerful, and his maneuverability makes him hard to spike down onto the stage.
Falco gets into the air VERY quickly and has various methods of stopping a Kirby that is in the air. There are several youtube vids showing air camping Kirby'sand w easily Falco goes up and tears them apart.

Fox and Wolf may have issues, moreso Fox since Fox really doesn't have the priority or range over Kirby while Wolf at least has his shine.

Fthrow links up to aerial hammer very nicely. So do many of his aerials, if done correctly. Stop making untrue statements to support your case.
but lets forget the fact your opponent can smash DI and air dodge the attack. It isn't terribly hard to avoid a hammer especially when it comes out more slowly than his other moves at low percents.

Look, we duck UNTIL they stop lasering, and then we can stand up faster than they can put their blaster away. Why is so hard for you to understand that they are more limited, not Kirby?
because the same thing is attempted by Snake and Falco ends up harassing him constantly with a Dair and actually landing it.
At least Snake can approach by crawling, while Kirby is ducking he can't do anything if he is to0 far away and if he is close enough to attack it would mean a gross error on the spacie users part.
because KIRBY CAN DUCK UNDER THEIR BLASTERS. They will have to move closer until they can hit Kirby with one of their close up moves, so they will have to approach.
With Fox where there is no flinch why would Kirby be ducking? you're better off just attacking him while he's blasting since he's vulnerable.
If its Wolf why would you duck? because you want to approach? Its a poor method considering that Wolf has a stronger ground game than Kirby overall and if he attempst for the air Wolf has some method of dealing with it.

Falco would just kep blasting because he knows as soon as you jump he could go and attack.
how is it so hard to udnerstand that ducking is NOT an effective method against the spacies?
If you were Snake and fighting Falco hey maybe you could since you could crawl but Kirby cannot crawl and cannot use it to go unde the lasers effectively.

Ducking just does not work out for him.
Nope, once again you show your lack of Kirby knowledge. Most of his attacks go farther than they look; Kirby's ftilt and neutral combo can't be shield grabbed if spaced correctly.
I can se eit with Fox but Falco and Wolf typically would maintain spacing that way either Kirby is out of range and eneds to get closer, or so that they are close enough to go for a grab and even then mind you they have their other moves.
Wolf has Fsmash, Falco has his Shine, Fsmash and many other options.

Kirby just isn't a strong ground character.
Because their recovery isn't very good, they are predictable.
But they are ridiculously fast.
not to mention th ability for Wolf to stage scar the stage and instantly avoid being ledgehogged.
Falco's has very little start up time and yes while the trajectory is predictable they typically place themselves so that either they hit the ledge before you can ledgehog or so that they'll just barely land on the stage. They are difficult characters to edgehog not ebcause their trajectory is predictable, but the sheer speed at which it moves is difficult.

NOt only that but the majority of the time they will remain above stage level or stage level.
How often are yougoing to get them below stage level?
Its very uncommon and not many characters can actually force them below.
Kirby can use his Dair and inhaleand his cutter but the cutter is too obvious and they would go for the ledge.
Inhale is too slow. The only one would be the Dair and it would require that the spacy moves predictably.

That's two heights they can recover. How many does Kirby have?
We aren't discussing Kirby's recovery we are discussing the spacies.
So basically, if Kirby hits them a fair way out, they are quite easy to gimp. However, Kirby pretty much has to be hit all the way past the death zone to die. So although they are heavier than him (except Fox), he can kill them earlier.
Except Kirby is lighter than most so the percentages at which he dies is earlier.
Fox definitely mruders him early with a Usmash.
Falco at higher and Wolf racks up damage via his Fsmash and can kill via Dsmash (which is fast) and his Usmash (which can be DAC'ed effectively)
Kirby would have to use his powerful Fsmash to get them that far away at early percents but the instances in which he can setup the Fsmash can lead to difficulty.

...most of his grab combos lead into inhale. If anyone tries to edgeguard him, or even stands near the edge, they are potential victims. It is not very hard for him to inhale people.
grab combos leading into inhale? Might I ask do they require no DI in order to work?
No one bothers trying to edge guard a Kirby, the excellent recovery ability is enough.
None of the spacies are going to bother with the edge unless they are camping and even then they are quick to vacate the area.

What is so hard about understanding this? They can't use their sideB when Kirby has spit them under the stage! They would have to use their upB to try to get back, and Kirby could easily gimp them.
What is so hard to understand that a spacy will RARELY get spit under the stage?
Obviously you did not get the fact that when I mention side B it means ABOVE stage not getting spit UNDER the stage. Use your brain why would I mention side B when they've been spit under?

As I said in the post, the Fox matchup thread, in justifying its rating of Kirby, says those things about Kirby.
I can understand the rating for Fox but not for Wolf and definitely not for Falco.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
Kirby doesn't have to use Up B to counter lasers. Falco lasers and Kirby ducks... why do you make it sound like Kirby needs to be doing something other than ducking to force an approach? When you point out that "he can't do anything while ducking"... that's the point. We don't need to attack you while you're lasering... that would be an approach on Kirby's part. Lasers are not a spacing tool to prevent grabbing.

And saying "Space animals will never get under the stage" is ignorant. Kirby can cut through Fox and Falco's side b with various moves and inhale through it as well. Inhaling in other ways isn't as hard as you make it out to be and inhaling isn't the only way that they could find themselves under the stage. Kirby can cancel a side b easily due to the predictability and if Kirby really needed to, he could just laser during a side b to put them too low.

It doesn't matter how fast something is if it's predictable. No predictability + speed would require godly reflexes to counter, but with the amazing predictability a good counter is determined before the move is used.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Umm...ever heard of spacing. Marth's d-tilt, Sonic's ASC, Metaknight's d-tilt, Ike's jab (if he immediately cancels it), ect. Most characters have at least one aerial or ground attack that cannot be shield grabbed when properly spaced.

People that think landing grabs on good people is easy in general are delusional. Seriously, just don't throw out unsafe attacks. If you're worried about grabs, just put up your wall. When they break your wall, punish their predictability (which is them using one specific countermeasure to your wall).
Nope, I've never heard of spacing. Not once.

First off, it's one attack at the most for most characters. Spam that attack up to create your wall, and opponents will just get around and grab. You can't assume your opponent is a complete moron who won't figure out a way to get past your "spacing." Nobody can 100% space in a match, not against someone of their own caliber; therefore, nobody can 100% avoid grabs. Avoiding grabs might not be the most difficult thing to accomplish, but you make it sound like grabbing is something that's never gonna happen to any player, which just isn't the case.

Second, even if both of our statements are presumably "incorrect", I'm sure most would agree that getting a successful grab is easier than not being grabbed the whole entire match. Don't throw out unsafe attacks? Brawl allows you to do so many things to get near your opponent safely that nearly every single attack in grabbing range gives the opponent a chance to grab. I mean, you named examples, and I could do the same: shield anyone's attacks that supposedly keep them safe from grabs, counter-attack with something like Zelda's d-tilt or Ness's d-tilt (just a few I know from experience) and grab. Again, the examples you provided don't hold for everyone, and neither do mine. You can't say, "Oh, just d-tilt with Marth and you can avoid all grabs" and expect that to be the case all the time. You say "punish them for their predictability"? What you're doing right there is predictable spacing, and people can get around it. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you can roll past the majority of those attacks anyway, and since you'll be too busy trying to prevent a shield, you'll end up getting smacked or... even grabbed just for trying to counter a shield.

Regardless, I still disagree with your main idea: avoiding grabs isn't as easy as you make it out to be. If you're gonna talk about competent players, know that competent players grab and get grabbed.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
Bowser at a disadvantage to Ike?

I don't think so at all, fire breath stops most of his approaches and stops quick draw, he can flying slam through counter, and all Ike really has left is his short hopped airs.

I think it's at least neutral, possibly slightly in Bowser's favour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhUKs00eHo

Not the best players but you get the idea.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Bowser at a disadvantage to Ike?

I don't think so at all, fire breath stops most of his approaches and stops quick draw, he can flying slam through counter, and all Ike really has left is his short hopped airs.

I think it's at least neutral, possibly slightly in Bowser's favour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhUKs00eHo

Not the best players but you get the idea.
No we don't what's Bowser's approach game against Ike? We need half-way competent players to see whether bowser can practically approach Ike and vice versa.

Ike still has his aerials, and Flying Slam only works against spammed counters, and only if you recognize it before you commit to an attack.

The only thing Ike doesn't obliterate in priority is the fire breath, and yeah, fire Breath is not going to win on it's own, it's nowhere near good enough.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
No we don't what's Bowser's approach game against Ike? We need half-way competent players to see whether bowser can practically approach Ike and vice versa.

Ike still has his aerials, and Flying Slam only works against spammed counters, and only if you recognize it before you commit to an attack.

The only thing Ike doesn't obliterate in priority is the fire breath, and yeah, fire Breath is not going to win on it's own, it's nowhere near good enough.
Generally Ike has to approach Bowser, Fire Breath will force at least that. Bowser's forward air does come out faster than even Ike's back air. Bowser's forward tilt also comes out faster and matches Ike in range. Bowser can shield fortress many of Ike's attacks before he can recover as well, including his aerials and if Ike is above Bowser up-air is a KO at 70%.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Bowser's fire breath can NOT fore Ike to approach... and, even if it did, he could easily get around it.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
Bowser's fire breath can NOT fore Ike to approach... and, even if it did, he could easily get around it.
How is that? Ike has no projectile ability to speak of he'll have to come at Bowser if Bowser short hop fire breaths at him, and Bowser can cancel and shield before Ike jumps over the fire with an aerial if he's spaced properly.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Generally Ike has to approach Bowser, Fire Breath will force at least that. Bowser's forward air does come out faster than even Ike's back air. Bowser's forward tilt also comes out faster and matches Ike in range. Bowser can shield fortress many of Ike's attacks before he can recover as well, including his aerials and if Ike is above Bowser up-air is a KO at 70%.
Fire Breath is not long enough ranged to force an approach. Really it IS an approach in an of itself. It's just too easy to get around.

As for the approaches, Ike kills both of them in priority, and you're not telling me that Bowser has anywhere near enough range with the f-tilt to walk up to Ike and use that as an approach.

As for fair, again priority, it might be fast, but it doesn't have the priority to compete with Ike.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
How is that? Ike has no projectile ability to speak of he'll have to come at Bowser if Bowser short hop fire breaths at him, and Bowser can cancel and shield before Ike jumps over the fire with an aerial if he's spaced properly.
if bowser is shorthopping FB, then BOWSER is already approaching...

if bowser isn't shorthopping FB at ike, then ike has no incentive to approach bowser besides nailing bowser in the face for being stupid enough to try to force Ike to approach by using Fire Breath... I mean... I suppose, in a round about way, that makes Ike approach... but it also makes Bowser eat a giant sword in the face... I doubt that plays into any winning strategy very well

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
In my experience Bowser's fairs and tilts come out fast enough with enough range to hit Ike before Ike hits Bowser, but I'll try to find some more video evidence for you.

And yes I suppose technically short hopped fire breath *is* Bowser approaching.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Kirby doesn't have to use Up B to counter lasers.
Of course not he could also approach through the air.
Wolf fires slowly.
Fox has no flinch on his laser.
Falco gets rapid fire in the air, wait something ent wrong with falco.
Falco lasers and Kirby ducks... why do you make it sound like Kirby needs to be doing something other than ducking to force an approach?
Because at whichy point the spacy doesn't have to do ANYTHING.
Especially not Falco. He can wait you out.

When you point out that "he can't do anything while ducking"... that's the point.
yeah exactly, you're placing yourself in a situation where you can't do anything to the spacy.
Why?
With Fox no flinch you can go up close and punish.
Wolf he fire slsowly so again go up and punish.
Falco, well you're pinned, he won't have to approach.

GO ask the Snake users, if they could ONLY duck the Falco user would ahve to do little.
Ducking sucks, get over it.
We don't need to attack you while you're lasering... that would be an approach on Kirby's part. Lasers are not a spacing tool to prevent grabbing.
Of coure not Wolf uses it to bait and force the opponent to approach. no wait.
Falco uses it to cause damage, and bait an approach wait.
Well Fox uses it to rack up damage but because of no flinch ther eis little point.

I give you that you got 1 out of 3.
Congrats.
Only one of them doens't use it for spacing.
And saying "Space animals will never get under the stage" is ignorant.
Cause its mostly true. Ho often do you get a spacy under?
Doy ou NOT factor DI into the equation?
Kirby can cut through Fox and Falco's side b with various moves and inhale through it as well.
The side B has some of the worst priority in the game its to be expect.
However you are trying to inhale someone who probably is saving it for the ledge or above the stage or floor level.
Who knows maybe it will be difficult to get them off stage to begin with like it is with Olimar.
While Kiby can do these things the difficult in doing so MUST be taken into account.
Inhaling in other ways isn't as hard as you make it out to be and inhaling isn't the only way that they could find themselves under the stage.
Of course not, it might be due to get hit far enough so that whent hey try to recover its much more difficult
However such a thing tends to occur at high percents.
Kirby can cancel a side b easily due to the predictability and if Kirby really needed to, he could just laser during a side b to put them too low.
Its predictable yes, but its very fast.
Also what laser?His cutter?
It doesn't matter how fast something is if it's predictable.
Say that to Sonic's ^B

No predictability + speed would require godly reflexes to counter, but with the amazing predictability a good counter is determined before the move is used.
Which is why its difficult to edge guard the following.
Sonic (fast but predictable movement)
ROB (slower less predictable)

It looks easier than it can be done.
I've tried gimping Spacies as Kirby, its not as easy as you make it sound.

exidid

Smash Journeyman
I was testing today. About the Yoshi's infinite on Wario. I realized Wario may be able to chomp Yoshi while he is going down. The Chomp starts a little higher than Yoshi's tongue range...

I need confirmation.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
Of course not he could also approach through the air.
Wolf fires slowly.
Fox has no flinch on his laser.
Falco gets rapid fire in the air, wait something ent wrong with falco.
OK, so you go from saying that Kirby can't approach, to having to approach, to being able to approach?

Because at whichy point the spacy doesn't have to do ANYTHING.
Especially not Falco. He can wait you out.
You're right, the space animal doesn't have to do anything but as soon as you stop firing the lasers Kirby will stand back up again. Standing up and ducking down is faster than any of their lasers.

The point is, space animals can't force an approach like they can against many others, giving them less of an advantage.

yeah exactly, you're placing yourself in a situation where you can't do anything to the spacy.
Why?
With Fox no flinch you can go up close and punish.
Wolf he fire slsowly so again go up and punish.
Falco, well you're pinned, he won't have to approach.
This argument started because you said that the space animals would force Kirby to approach, so now you're trying to persuade me to approach?

Ducking sucks, get over it.
Ducking doesn't suck, because it forces all space animals to either keep using laser the whole match (which is harder on the hands than holding down on the joystick) or to approach.

Of coure not Wolf uses it to bait and force the opponent to approach. no wait.
Baiting and forcing an approach are the same thing, which won't work because Kirby can duck.

Falco uses it to cause damage, and bait an approach wait.
Once again, causing damage and baiting don't work with a crouch.

Well Fox uses it to rack up damage but because of no flinch ther eis little point.
Racking up damage doesn't work when it doesn't hit.

I give you that you got 1 out of 3.
Congrats.
Only one of them doens't use it for spacing.
Forcing an approach (which none of them can do) and spacing are not the same thing. Why does it feel like in walking in circles, here?

Cause its mostly true. Ho often do you get a spacy under?
Doy ou NOT factor DI into the equation?
Inhaling brings below the edge and hitting through a side b brings them lower, almost always low enough to be under the stage because Falco will use side b to grab the edge or go just above the edge.... not way above the edge because that would be too easy to punish on the way down.

The side B has some of the worst priority in the game its to be expect.
Then why do you make it sound like it is so hard to get a space animal below the stage? It's predictable and gets cut through.

However you are trying to inhale someone who probably is saving it for the ledge or above the stage or floor level.
...what? Explain this sentence. Inhaling a Falco is not hard through his side B, and easily gets Falco below the stage.

Who knows maybe it will be difficult to get them off stage to begin with like it is with Olimar.
While Kiby can do these things the difficult in doing so MUST be taken into account.
Even a simple grab combo finished with a Fsmash gets a space animal off the stage. With Kirby's wide variety of killing moves it isn't hard to get anyone off of the stage.

Of course not, it might be due to get hit far enough so that whent hey try to recover its much more difficult
However such a thing tends to occur at high percents.
That first sentence is incomprehensible, but getting a space animal far off the stage or at high percentage is not hard. They're not hard to combo by any means, take an easy 50 percent dmg through grab combos, and Fox can be killed by an fsmash at about 90.l

Its predictable yes, but its very fast.
Also what laser?His cutter?
It doesn't matter how fast something is if it's predictable and risky. Preparing for a move before it is executed is easy due to it's predictability.

Say that to Sonic's ^B
Sonic's UpB would be very easy to gimp or spike if he couldn't do an aerial after using it. It's predictable and fast, but it isn't nearly as punishable.

Which is why its difficult to edge guard the following.
Sonic (fast but predictable movement)
ROB (slower less predictable)
Sonic can aerial after the spring, and Rob can aerial throughout the whole thing. ROB's recovery is a lot like Kirby's... both aren't that predictable and Kirby's is less predictable.

It looks easier than it can be done.
I've tried gimping Spacies as Kirby, its not as easy as you make it sound.
In that case, it sounds to me like you just have poor anticipation or execution.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
OK, so you go from saying that Kirby can't approach, to having to approach, to being able to approach?
Yes because surely the spacies aren't3 DIFFERENT characters. either respond to it or don't quite.

You're right, the space animal doesn't have to do anything but as soon as you stop firing the lasers Kirby will stand back up again. Standing up and ducking down is faster than any of their lasers.
Faster than Wolf's? Yes
Faster thatn Falco's? Yes
Faste rthan Fox's? Maybe .

Even so, ducking is stupid.
The point is, space animals can't force an approach like they can against many others, giving them less of an advantage.
A campy Falco FORCES Kirby to approach.
A campy Wolf FORCES kirby to approach.
i've already stated that Fox is the only one that can't necessarily force Kirby to approach and agreed its a disadvantage for him.
So be more character specific.

This argument started because you said that the space animals would force Kirby to approach, so now you're trying to persuade me to approach?
You're approaching right?
You can't attack them from afar can you?
Therefore you are FORCED to approach.
Its not like you hav the option not to approach, you are FORCED.
Ducking doesn't suck, because it forces all space animals to either keep using laser the whole match (which is harder on the hands than holding down on the joystick) or to approach.

Wait so because the player's hands will get tired they are forced to approach. Wait what?

Baiting and forcing an approach are the same thing, which won't work because Kirby can duck.
no it'll only keep him pinned down by Falco.
With wolf he can just Fsmash or Shine as a method of harrassment.
Fox can Dair as harassment. Fox is really the only one to have issues with Kirby.
Once again, causing damage and baiting don't work with a crouch.
yes cause crouching stops everything.
Racking up damage doesn't work when it doesn't hit.
Well you're not racking up damage by ducking against Falco are you?
Forcing an approach (which none of them can do) and spacing are not the same thing.
You are clearly ignorant if you believe Falco and Wolf do not force approaches. its what they KNOWN for doing. Does Kirbvy have a reliable projectile?
Does he FORCE the spacies to approach?
Maybe Fox but not wolf and Falco.

Inhaling brings below the edge and hitting through a side b brings them lower, almost always low enough to be under the stage because Falco will use side b to grab the edge or go just above the edge.... not way above the edge because that would be too easy to punish on the way down.
Wolf can cancel side B above the ledge and retain the momentum while falling making it difficult to edge guard. Falco and Fox can do something similar though though their's doesn't retain as much momentum and of course shortens the length of the side B.
Again though we are talking about something that is arguably the fastest movement in the game, unless the spacies are far away from the ledge, you won't be edge guarding them easily.

Then why do you make it sound like it is so hard to get a space animal below the stage? It's predictable and gets cut through.
because its hard to HIT them. The amount of speed is great.
not only that DIing really helps in this game.
It isn't hard to remain above the stage and be capable of returning.
The only time they become predictable (as in you can actually plan out their trajectory and movement) is if they get hit far away from the ledge. You would ahve to move very very quickly to catch them like that.
...what? Explain this sentence. Inhaling a Falco is not hard through his side B, and easily gets Falco below the stage.
okay think of it like tihs.
you smash me right?
I DI up and away to avoid a death and gain height. I use my second jump as Fox to further gain height and to avoid getting KO'ed. NOw I am done a double jump, you are at the edge.
I fall towards you shine a bit then side B cancel (to retain momentum while remaining above the ledge)

If I end up below the ledge yeah im boned. However if I am below the ledge so that if I ^B i'll either sweetspot the ledge or land on the arena. Same with wolf.
Falco is a different story he is pretty much boned once under the ledge.
Falco is really the one ho has trouble below the stage, but if they are above its omre easily down.

Not to mention how wolf can Side B cancel and avoid going under entirely and bypass the ledge and you very quickly.

Now if you were Dairing I could see where it would e difficult but as you see the scenario requires that the opponent be hit far enough from the stage that you would have the time and ability to start the ledge guard.
And even then I could still get past you and land on the stage.

Even a simple grab combo finished with a Fsmash gets a space animal off the stage.
If they are at the edge baiting you most likely they won't be stupid enough to get grabbed.
This scenario is unlikely
With Kirby's wide variety of killing moves it isn't hard to get anyone off of the stage.
Except that you have to actually land said kill moves.
The grab combo requires they are at a place where they would get knocked off the stage. Even then it would have to be significant in distance since you would need time to actually get to the ledge for the edge guard.

I am not saying its not possible but thats its very unlikely.
That first sentence is incomprehensible, but getting a space animal far off the stage or at high percentage is not hard. They're not hard to combo by any means, take an easy 50 percent dmg through grab combos, and Fox can be killed by an fsmash at about 90.
My mistake i had typed something earlier and forgot to edit for clarity.
I meant to say that at such high percentages is when you could edgeguard most effectively.
It isn't that they are hard to combo either, its that it is difficult to place them in a situation to be comboed.
Peach can combo but the difficulty in placing the opponent for the said combo is difficult.
With the spacies (Falco and Wolf moreso) they will stay out of grab range ebcause they don't want to take such a heavy hit.
So phantasm's, lasers shield, dodging they'll play defensively to minimize the damage and avoid the combos.

Basically its the "don't get grabbed" idea.
It doesn't matter how fast something is if it's predictable and risky. Preparing for a move before it is executed is easy due to it's predictability.
but only when you have the time to prepare for the move.
Sonic's UpB would be very easy to gimp or spike if he couldn't do an aerial after using it. It's predictable and fast, but it isn't nearly as punishable.
yes lets forget the dodge frames DURING the ^B, the vertical height, the speed of the recovery.
Lets also forget that Sonic users HATE to be above people so they don't use an aerial unless its a Fair or Bair to increase their distance and the Dair for getting tothe ground more easily.
And even then they don't NEED the dair to get down quickly.

If they had no aerial he would still be **** near impossible to gimp or spike.

Frankly put you're terribly wrong about SOnic's recovery.
Sonic can aerial after the spring,
I've already shown that Sonic doesn't NEED aerials after the spring.

and Rob can aerial throughout the whole thing.
He doesn't necessarily need it either.
ROB's recovery is a lot like Kirby's... both aren't that predictable and Kirby's is less predictable.
Except his gives him more height/distance and is controllable like Kirby's.

yeah they are similar but his is better.

In that case, it sounds to me like you just have poor anticipation or execution.
I main sonic, 90% of my kills come from gimping. I have confidence in my edge guarding ability especially since Kirby has more aerial speed overall and more enduring attacks.

It sounds like you're facing people who you've already smacked far away from the edge so that even if they side B from anywhere or ^B they'd get edgehogged.

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
Changes which need to be made:
Yoshi >> Olimar
Falco > Meta Knight
Olimar > Snake
Pikachu > Snake

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi >> Olimar
Falco > Meta Knight
Olimar > Snake
Pikachu > Snake
Also, Falco > Snake, chaingrabs to spike, lasers force Snake to drop gernades, Falcos down B outranges tilts. While it's true Snake can crawl under lasers, Falco isn't all about lasers.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
@ Izzhov: Uh, Yoshi has an advantage over Olimar, but Egg Roll isn't godly enough to permanently swing it doubly in his favor. After all, Yoshi can still get grabbed.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Why is Ivasaur and G&W even? Ivasaur has very few tools to kill Mr. G&W without being telegraphed; G&W has an easier time killing Ivasaur than the other way around due to dthrow setup into a dsmash. Not much of a way to damage G&W well outside of bullet seed. All Ivasaur has is his bair fence to keep G&W at bay but Ivasaur will need to do something else to kill or damage Mr.G&W which makes Ivasaur much more approachable.

Can IvanEva fix the Ivasaur-Mr.Game&Watch matchup?

cutter

Smash Champion
Why is Ivasaur and G&W even? Ivasaur has very few tools to kill Mr. G&W without being telegraphed; G&W has an easier time killing Ivasaur than the other way around due to dthrow setup into a dsmash. Not much of a way to damage G&W well outside of bullet seed. All Ivasaur has is his bair fence to keep G&W at bay but Ivasaur will need to do something else to kill or damage Mr.G&W which makes Ivasaur much more approachable.

???

G&W already has a check vs. Ivysaur. He fixed it a while ago.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Hmm... after more recnet playing.... I could give in on lucas being a bad matchup vs. Zelda... not an awful matchup or even a counterpick... just... less than even.

Ness on the other hand, no. It's even.

Ness's projectiles are way easier for Zelda to punish, it's easier to gimp is recovery, his ground game is weaker and it's harder for him to KO. He brings a slightly better aerial game, but it's not near as important as what he's lacking.

Browny

Smash Hater
i find it A LOT easier to KO with ness than i do with lucas. His bthrow is too good, against a lightweight like zelda, dont expect to get past 115%. lucas can kill earlier, but he just doesnt have anything nearly as quick, or reliable as the bthrow of doom

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yoshi >> Olimar
Falco > Meta Knight
Olimar > Snake
Pikachu > Snake
Egg roll isn't enough to make Olimar that disadvantaged against him. It's Yoshi>Olimar, not Yoshi>>Olimar

I agree with Olimar>Snake. I argued my points already.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice

lol.

i was going to put a big *** essay here about ivysaur's tools and how biased your post is, but i decided not to bother and deleted the whole thing.

two notes:

it's spelled "ivysaur".

in all the time i've been playing brawl, i've been hit by dthrow-dsmash once. maybe. it's not the universal answer g&w players like to make it sound.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
G-Dub does have the advantage... assuming he can get inside Ivysaur's range... which he can.
You say he has "no damaging moves but a bair fence and bullet seed". First off... those are his two best damage-racking moves, dude...
That being said, GW does win. But please make a valid argument, eh?

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
True but the spacies at least have more options than Kirby during that lock.

Wolf and Falco rather since Fox's laser is inferior IMO.
Ok, let's talk about two scenarios with Kirby and Falco.

Scenario 1:

Game start, Falco starts using his blaster.

Kirby ducks.

As you would see it, Falco is trapping Kirby in the duck.

Another way to see it is that Kirby is trapping Falco in the lasers. They are both even right there, neither is going to move or take damage until they get bored.

Scenario 2:

Falco starts spamming the laser while Kirby is much closer, but too far away for a dtilt.

Kirby ducks. This could continue mcuh in the same matter as scenario 1, or Falco could stop firing and go for a sh'd dair, as you think Falco can do if Kirby ducks his lasers.

Unfortunately, as soon as Kirby sees Falco missing a blast (because he is no longer shooting), Kirby will be in the air moving toward Falco before Falco can put his laser away, because Kirby standing up after a duck takes much less time than Falco putting away his blaster.

And, in an earlier post, when I explained that after Kirby gets them under the stage with neutral B, the spacie would have to use upB to recover from that point, but upB is gimpable. To which you replied "they wouldn't use upB, they would use sideB" or something along those lines. This is why I said that they couldn't use their sideB, they'd be under the stage.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
i find it A LOT easier to KO with ness than i do with lucas. His bthrow is too good, against a lightweight like zelda, dont expect to get past 115%. lucas can kill earlier, but he just doesnt have anything nearly as quick, or reliable as the bthrow of doom
I played STH earlier, and I killed his Zelda quite a few times below 100% with Lucas (as in, before the hit). I had a harder time finding the killing blow with Ness than Lucas simply because I couldn't get close enough to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom