• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
The reason Lucario has an advantage over Marth is because Lucario is more geared towards defensive play, and has a lot less lag on his attacks.

His ftilt has easy the same kind of range as Marth's ftilt or even his fsmash, with just as much speed and half the lag. Probably even more priority. By the time Lucario hits 100%, his ftilt does around 15% per hit, which is crazy for something that comes out so fast and has a huge double-hitbox that shield stabs on occasion and is relatively safe on block. Marth's ground moves have lag, and Lucario excels in punishing lag due to his overall good statistics in almost every category besides power, which he gains at about 70%.

And you havn't played a good Lucario ifyou don't realise how good Aura sphere is for controlling the opponent's movements. The projectile itself travels just slowly enough and has just a large enough hitbox and can be thrown just fast enough to be incredibly annoying. You can jab it, yes, but by the time you do that, Lucario will already be running towards you or will have moved to a better position on the stage. Jabbing the baby aura spheres is probably the best thing you can do, yes, but against a good Lucario player, Marth will be jabbing almost constantly while Lucario will be closing in with relative safety. The big factor is how slow the projectile is: by the time Lucario gains movement again, the aura sphere will still be a threat, meaning that the Marth will have to jab it, evade it or shield it, while Lucario is totally free to move.

Eventually, the Marth will want to close in and attack instead of jabbing aura spheres all day. The best way to do that is to get behind Lucario, which is exactly what Lucario wants to force: a roll.

And Marth can't gimp nearly as well as Lucario. His Fair hits hard, but its hitbox stays out for a very short time compared to Lucario's aura kick fair, which has a really long-duration hitbox with loads of priority, making it much more effective against those who like to air dodge. Two of them strung together actually combo thanks to aura being a stunning effect, while Marth's fairs can be air-dodged inbetween strikes. Marth also has less options when it comes to getting back on the stage, as opposed to Lucario who can easily pursue the opponent right to the very edge of the screen and then recover with extremespeed, which isn't limited to simply grabbing the edge, by the way. It also sticks him to walls, allowing for him to walljump back onto the stage, which is a superior recovery method than simply using extremespeed on the ledge, because you generally have more options when coming up (Air dodge, etc.)

Another reason why Lucario often has better spacing options than Marth is not only to do with range, but also the duration of his aura attacks, all of which stay out MUCH longer than any of Marth's single sword strikes. Even his Fsmash has a lingering hitbox, and his ftilt has two!

His side dodges are a fair bit better than Marth's as well, which gives him an even easier time getting around Marth's attacks and punishing the lag.

Marth's most convenient approach is shorthopped Fairs, which have next to no lag upon landing, but Lucario has a jab combo that can be canceled into a force palm which altogether does more damage than most normal jab combos and is fast enough to hit marth out of his Fair from a single shield drop.

I'm pretty confident that Lucario has an advantage over Marth, however slight.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lucario has awesome combos
So does Marth.

projectiles that can easily stagger people's movement (don't know what your talking about).
1) Do not use the term "stagger". It's a legit term in fighting games. And it doesn't apply here.
2) It's not abusable. It's slow, and it's got terribly priority... especially against Marth's sword. Lucario: "I Aura Sphere you face!" Marth: "*jab*". Heck, it's got to be charged up to have any kind of significant knockback and even then it doesn't really kill 'til 170%-ish.

and great range on some of his best attacks (dair, utilt, fair, uair).
So does Marth... better range in most cases.

I haven't really fought many good marths but as far as i can tell,
Then how can you know anything about him?

both character seem pretty dang equal and it usually comes down to either a lucky kill/unlucky death and more importantly, player skill.
No they don't.

I don't think that ZSS is at a disadvantage when facing marth. Her kill moves are out of his counter's range and she's a lot faster. They are most likely neutral imo.
Counter is nothing something you spam. Especially not in the damage-range where you can get KO:ed.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
This Lucario vs. Marth battle has been pretty exciting thus far! The entire match-up chart was worth making just for this! :)

I play against a good Lucario and a good Marth player but they've never crossed swords/paws themselves unfortunately. Now I want to get them both together and play for hours so that I too can pitch in on who I think has the advantage.

A few things on Lucario and Marth from what I've experienced (although not on a Lucario vs. Marth basis): Lucario's Aura Sphere is pretty good for halting the opponent (Sonic Boom style). However, since a jab or powershield will usually do the trick, it's annoying but it's never hurt my approach on him, just slowed it down. His forward and down airs have hurt me (bit by bit) much more than Marth's. I wonder, would Lucario's down air stop Marth's Swordryuken? That might affect things. As for Marth, against most (err, all?) characters he has an easier time landing killing blows (although I know that Lucario's off the stage aerials are much more important to him than killing blows, unlike Marth). Lucario's forward smash has (or at least appears to have) more range than Marth's but we all know how fast Marth's comes out.

Yup, I've got to get tons of Lucario vs. Marth matches in now. "There can be only one!"

Nacht004

Smash Rookie
Well it's nice to know my suggestions started this debate, lol. Ok, I'll input my own data here as to why I said the two were even, despite the fact that most of the people here have listed a lot of the information I would have presented. For some initial background, I main Lucario, and I am semi-pro, having played and faired well against pros. One person I've consistently played against, HBK if you know him, plays a good Marth, and so does another friend of ours. Now some of you people are fighting like I said Lucario has an advantage, but I made the point that it's EVEN with Lucario v. Marth, nothing more nothing less, heck even the matchup chart on the Marth forum said it's even against Lucario (though that matchup listing didn't give Marth a single disadvantage either, so I disagree with it).

Alright, now here is why Marth is great: Range, little lag, great speed, great maneuverability, great approaches. The cons? Not many, his range decreased from Melee as we all know, he still lacks a projectile, and his priority in some cases has decreased.

What makes Lucario so great: Disjointed hitboxes, range, good speed, great approaches, high priority, spammable projectiles. The cons? Not many again, he can be gimped if you don't know what you're doing since his up B does no damage, starts off rather weak, and has little combos.

Whats even about the two of them? Well, both have great general approaches, and if Marth gets inside further, Marth can destroy a Lucario, however any good Lucario can keep an appropriate distance and use their range advantages. Both of them are floaty which gets them out of significant chain grabs, however Lucario is able to tech chase out of his force palm.

Most points have already been made so its pointless to reiterate them, however I am going to say that the projectile spam of aura sphere is a great part to the game, since it allows him to keep his distance and project ranges he needs. It allows the Lucario player to close in distances or push the player where he wants them to be. Also, I know for a fact that once Lucario hits 100%, his counter is far more deadly, and I mean, really lethal, able to if correctly countered, kill Marth vertically at 80+%.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lucarios counter can be stuffed on activation.

NessBounder: Ahhh. A worthy opponent. I am pleased.

You are correct in saying that Lucarios hitboxes linger. This is why he has more priority. If Marth's hand touches the Aura when he swings his sword then his attack gets stuff since he actually has to swing his sword. With good spacing however, Marth's hand won't touch the aura and he can still swat Lucario on with his moves that outrange Lucario's.

But the thing about Lucario is that his camping isn't hard to deal with at all and Marth has a superior moveset overall , so he won't have trouble getting in. Marth can easily approach on the ground. He doesn't have to go into the air.

Let's get one thing straight. Marth attacks faster then Lucario on the ground, but lags a bit more on his smashes. So Lucario's ground game is safer, but slower. Marth's ground game is faster, but slightly less sfae. But f-tilt and d-tilt are both very safe and reliable so he is ok.

Once Marth gets in...what does Lucario do? His options aren't as good. His movement is slower and he is outranged. He has to take a risk to take back control of the match.

The best way to get Lucario to stop spamming is to get behind him.

No.

All Marth has to do is jab a few aura spheres and waltz right outside of Lucario's tilt range. Then what?
From there Marth controls the pace of the match. Lucario can roll yeah, but he has no tool of hhis own that will only him to take control. He has to go on the defensive or risk attacking and getting his face cut up.

We talked about how Lucario has better combos. He is pretty much the best comboer in the game. I won't touch this part of the argument again.

But how is Lucario gonna consistently punish spaced fairs, and d-tilts? They both have little lag and outrange Lucario's close range game. Again, Lucario must take a risk or be defensive.

Nope. Not convinced and mind you I play Lucario so I am more then aware of what he is capable of.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DK match ups almost complete Ivaneva

heres what we agree on so far

DK=smaus
DK=shiek
DK<snake
DK=zelda
DK<zero suit
DK<wolf

but we also think that DK> jiggs because DK kills around 60% with a well placed smash and Jiggs can't do as much as she used to to DK

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
im just curious as of why you think diddy is at advantage against olimar

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Marth definately has the advantage over lucario. Even though Lucario cannot combo marth at all since he'd get hit after anyway. Trading a 3% fair for Marth's 12% fair doesn't seem like a... fair trade. Marth can pretty much eat through his projectiles on approach and Lucario isn't fast enough to get away and start spamming again without getting beat up a bit. The % that he recieves won't be worth the camp anyway. Not to mention Lucario is probablt the only character in this game susceptible to the ken combo.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman

My observations on Brawl thus far are that character counters are very prominent, more so than in Melee. It's my hope that this chart, when completed, will be of some use to players who are looking for recommendations on who to use against a certain opponent.

If you're very confident of a certain match-up, backed up by experience, please post it so that the chart can be improved/completed. Posting a sentence or two backing your claim helps discussions greatly.

Lastly, I need to add that this chart is a character comparison between skilled HUMAN players, NOT COMPUTERS. Any data collected by pitting mindless computers against each other does not count towards the chart. My Bowser will never lose to a level 9 Marth.
Why is Squirtle weak against Charizard? Squirtle is a water type and Charizard is obviously a Fire type

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why is Squirtle weak against Charizard? Squirtle is a water type and Charizard is obviously a Fire type
Because that's not how the game works. They didn't sit down and make sure Charizard is weak against his natural enemy Squirtle. They just set in some arbitrary element-based thingies.

For one thing, Charizard can swim in water.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Wow... that's some pretty hefty work you've done there. I'm impressed.

I think the way to do this is to choose 2 characters, play no items on Final Destination. Probably 2-minute Brawl or 3-stock Brawl.

Play 20 matches, then swap characters and play another 20 matches. Swapping character removes any skill difference between the players.

Restart any battle where a player self-destructs, as a players stupidity is irrelevent to the character.

Make sure you're both well practiced with the character you're using, and know which moves to utilise in which situations. For instance, if you don't know that Jigglypuff's Down B can be used on Bowser with great ease, you may find Bowser winning more often than he should.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It only seems like that because I made a match-up thread that is accurate which list all his match-ups and I have solid reasoning to back it up.

Also alot of the other people arguing match-ups don't back up their claims with solid reasoning so match-ups become disputed.

Also another thing to consider is that alot of the better characters match-ups aren't filled out completely.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
Wario beats slow characters, and light characters. He has trouble agaisnt sword users, characters with disjointed hitboxes, and characters with long attacks, i.e. Marth, Toon Link, Olimar, Metaknight, and Pit.

Wario > Everybody except Marth, Toon Link, Olimar, Metaknight, and Pit.
Wario < Marth, Toon Link, Olimar, Metaknight, and Pit.

Hope this helps.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
rob beat pit because they about even in range and rob **** pit in close combat. rob f-tilt is just too fast and no lag between and when pit get close down smash.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Because that's not how the game works. They didn't sit down and make sure Charizard is weak against his natural enemy Squirtle. They just set in some arbitrary element-based thingies.

For one thing, Charizard can swim in water.
The fact that most Pokémon "talk" by retardedly saying their names shows that they're based off of their anime interpretations instead of their game ones (which greatly annoys me - my Squirtle, back in the day, went "Raaaw" not "Squit-squirtle") in which case Pikachu > every other Pokémon! :psycho:

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I completely disagree with the Sonic chart.
Sonic> Mario*
Sonic = Luigi*
Sonic = Pikachu
Sonic = Jigglypuff
Sonic> Captain Falcon*
Sonic> Ganonodorf*
Sonic>Yoshi
Sonic= Pit*
Sonic<Metaknight
Sonic>Ike*
Sonic<Marth*
Sonic<Falco
Sonic<Wolf
Sonic=Fox
Sonic?Rob
Sonic<Olimar*
Sonic<Lucario
Sonic>Bowser*
Sonic>DK*
Sonic=Dedede
Sonic<Diddy Kong
Sonic=Kirby
Sonic>Samus*
Sonic?Zamus
Sonic>Ice Climbers* (Can easily kill Nana)
Sonic?Snake*
Sonic?Peach
Sonic<Zelda
Sonic>Squirtle
Sonic?Charizard
Sonic=Ivysaur*
Sonic>Link*
Sonic<Toon Link
Sonic?Mr. Game & Watch
Sonic>Ness*
Sonic=Lucas*
Sonic=Wario
* Characters Sonic can easily gimp
Can you post your reasoning behind your match-ups? That or a link to a thread with said reasons? Sonic isn't too difficult to gimp either. List posts like these are difficult to dispute or discuss (but I appreciate the post nevertheless).

dude can you explain your reasoning as to how mario has a disadvantage against kirby? I've never lost against any kirby mainer...
Sadly, no. I add in what other people post (I dont play/play against Mario or Kirby so it wasn't my match-up opinion). You might have to go digging into this thread or the Mario/Kirby one to find it. I'll put it down for disputed if you're against it. Please post WHY you're against it though. It could simply be that you're better overall than that Kirby mainer.

im just curious as of why you think diddy is at advantage against olimar
Same as above.

I think the way to do this is to choose 2 characters, play no items on Final Destination. Probably 2-minute Brawl or 3-stock Brawl.

Play 20 matches, then swap characters and play another 20 matches. Swapping character removes any skill difference between the players.

Restart any battle where a player self-destructs, as a players stupidity is irrelevent to the character.

Make sure you're both well practiced with the character you're using, and know which moves to utilise in which situations. For instance, if you don't know that Jigglypuff's Down B can be used on Bowser with great ease, you may find Bowser winning more often than he should.
The problem with that is that nobody can be absolutely great with every character. The match-up chart assumes that each player is really good with that character (and in turn is fighting a really good opponent). That's why you can really only talk concerning your 'mains' - the characters you know inside out.

I don't think King Dedede has a bad matchup vs Jiggs, or Rob at all... why is this thought?
I don't know that much about Charizard but could someone please explain why he has an advantage against Pikachu. I just don't see where he gets the advantage.
Same as the second and third quotes above. If you dispute it, state your reasons.

Wario beats slow characters, and light characters. He has trouble agaisnt sword users, characters with disjointed hitboxes, and characters with long attacks, i.e. Marth, Toon Link, Olimar, Metaknight, and Pit.

Wario > Everybody except Marth, Toon Link, Olimar, Metaknight, and Pit.
Wario < Marth, Toon Link, Olimar, Metaknight, and Pit.

Hope this helps.
Sadly, it doesn't help as much as I'd like it to. You'll have to explain how he has an advantage over EVERYBODY except for those five. He's outranged and gimped by a lot of people so you'll have to be a lot more specific and with solid reasons.

I think the advantages Marth has are exaggerated....
As much as I'd absolutely love it to be so I can't really see any flaws in it. The ones that are disputed are marked as such. If you disagree with one, post it and we can discuss. It's sort of like how Emblem Lord stated that Marth doesn't DESTROY everybody, but he does have an advantage, however slight, over most characters.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Snake probably has advantage on MK due to grenades exploding when ever meta attacks near them(due to large hitboxes) and grenades beating out tornado excetera. Also meta is light and snake kills with almost every move he has.

Nacht004

Smash Rookie
Snake probably has advantage on MK due to grenades exploding when ever meta attacks near them(due to large hitboxes) and grenades beating out tornado excetera. Also meta is light and snake kills with almost every move he has.
I completely agree, I've seen the fight and played the fight many a times, and my semi-experienced Snake will outclass most experienced Metaknights, which, while that is something of a shame, is nonetheless true. Snake is much harder to kill, out ranges with some of his tilts, triple a out of shield is amazing, and the projectile game is just filthy.

heytallman

CTALL
I'd say that metaknight has an advantage over lucas. Maybe it's just me, but I was at a tournament last week, and I had SO much trouble against metaknights. I guess it's because of better aerial priority, which meta seems to beat lucas in. I saw that this matchup is disputed, so I hope this helps a bit, although I guess I'm not providing enough details

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
If no one else has, I think I'll mention that I find Samus to have a huge disadvantage against Pikachu. Most of Samus' projectiles travel over Pikachu's short body, and being a floaty character, Samus makes a prime target for Pikachu's down+B. At close range, Pikachu's d-smash pretty much trumps anything Samus has got, and Pikachu's aerials have better priority than anything other than Samus' f-air.

If there's someone who disputes this, I'm anxious to hear it, because I have no idea what Samus can trump Pikachu with.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DK match ups almost complete Ivaneva

heres what we agree on so far

DK=smaus
DK=shiek
DK<snake
DK=zelda
DK<zero suit
DK<wolf

but we also think that DK> jiggs because DK kills around 60% with a well placed smash and Jiggs can't do as much as she used to to DK

I don't know if you saw this ivan but this leaves all but 4(?) left disputed

Browny

Smash Hater
Marth fanboi detected,

We cant repel fanboyism of this magnitude!

Sonic isn't too difficult to gimp either.
wtf. do i even need to waste my time explaining why this is wrong on every conceivable level

anyway...

*= easily gimped

Sonic> Mario*
Sonic = Luigi* undecided here... luigi has a lot of recovery options, which make gimping hard
Sonic < Pikachu pikachu owns...
Sonic = Jigglypuff
Sonic> Captain Falcon*
Sonic> Ganonodorf*
Sonic>Yoshi
Sonic= Pit*
Sonic<Metaknight
Sonic>Ike*
Sonic<Marth*
Sonic<Falco* firebird/fox is still the worst recovery in the game, sonic has at least 6 attacks that gimp it, not to mention edgehogging vs faclo/fox illusion
Sonic<Wolf*
Sonic=Fox* i wonder if this should be an advantage. fox's blaster is futile vs sonic and fox's up-aerial kill is out of the question
Sonic<Rob robs ungimpable recovery is a pain to deal with
Sonic<Olimar*
Sonic<Lucario* edgehogging is too easy
Sonic<Bowser* bowser has mad buffs, huge range on his attacks, i cant hit the d@mn thing
Sonic>DK*
Sonic>Dedede* Dedede is so slow his only decent kill move vs sonic's speed is his dash attack. sonic can edgeguard to kill dedede at half the % it takes dedede to get rid of sonic
Sonic<Diddy Kong* his side b isnt gimpable, but his rocketbarrel certainly is
Sonic=Kirby
Sonic>Samushow is it possible to gimp samus... bomb jumps are still here
Sonic?Zamus
Sonic>Ice Climbers* (Can easily kill Nana) without even trying is more accurate
Sonic>Snake* snakes projectiles WILL NOT hit a decent sonic player. sonics faster aerials and sheer number of approaches tear snakes mindgames apart. not to mention 1 dthrow/upsmash spike off the stage and snake has a choice, either gets grabbed out of cypher and dthrown again to his doom, or hangs away from the edge and eats a b-air to the face.
Sonic?Peach
Sonic<Zelda
Sonic>Squirtle
Sonic=Charizard almost as slow as ike but has a good recovery with glide
Sonic=Ivysaur*
Sonic>Link*
Sonic<Toon Link
Sonic<Mr. Game & Watch G&W priority on all of his attacks are BS
Sonic>Ness*
Sonic=Lucas*
Sonic<Wario i dont know why, but i dont think sonic is better than wario 1vs1
i bolded some changes I THINK should be made

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yup. Evidence backed up by solid reasoning is nothing less than blatant fanboyism.

Agreed.

Also, Snake doesn't have disadvantage to Sonic.

Hardly anyone has disadvantage to Sonic for that matter.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Marth fanboi detected,

We cant repel fanboyism of this magnitude!

wtf. do i even need to waste my time explaining why this is wrong on every conceivable level
If you can think of a good counter to Marth, go for it.

And yes actually, for my own benefit, why is it that you feel that Sonic isn't easy to gimp. His rolls to edge are easy to see coming when he's level or above ledge level, which are then met with a smash/projectile, and when he's below ledge level it's even easier since his up-B doesn't grab the ledge.

All that being said, I'll be updating the chart again tonight (sonic data included).

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
in that case, Diddy is at a disadvantage against Olimar because

-He doesnt have 1 attack that can get pikmin off of him, i.e. Wolf. So they tend to stay on him for a longer time
-All of diddy's melee attacks are outranged and for the most part outpriotitized by Olimar.
-Olimar's grab can get to Diddy even out of diddy's attack range.
-Not quite sure, but I THINK his pikmin can stop a thrown banana if a pikmin is thrown into it.

Dunno if you need it or not, but diddy also sucks against all of the space animals and link (not so much toon link)

Browny

Smash Hater
If you can think of a good counter to Marth, go for it.

And yes actually, for my own benefit, why is it that you feel that Sonic isn't easy to gimp. His rolls to edge are easy to see coming when he's level or above ledge level, which are then met with a smash/projectile, and when he's below ledge level it's even easier since his up-B doesn't grab the ledge.

All that being said, I'll be updating the chart again tonight (sonic data included).
If the enemy is hanging off the edge, spring will jump right over thier heads. unless you somehow managed to metoer sonic well off into the bubble blast zone spring will always make it back on. if hes knocked up high, spin charge can float across pretty much every single stage except bridge of eldin. or you could just homing attack back on the stage, that thing's range is almost the same as final destinations entire width.

I honestly can not recall a single time ever in all my 1vs1 matches playing as sonic where i have been killed trying to get back onto the stage, or simply didnt make it back.

take this as a personal opinion or not, but imo dedede is destroyed by sonic. Today in one of my first local game club tourneys i managed to 3 stock dedede. The same person playing dedede then goes and uses wolf and you can guess what happens there :/ His chain grab is completely useless since sonics spring gives him invincibility frames, you will never get more than 1 grab off and with proper timing you can kick dedede out of his up-b every single time at the peak of the jump, sonic is the only character who can do that consistently, makes KO's off the top so easy.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
I posted here before with several suggestions for matchups that Ness has an advantage in, but there is one which is possibly his worst matchup which is unlisted here. That would be Wario, that fat man has a clear dominance over Ness in a 1v1 with few ways to approach and even fewer ways to avoid. His speed and strength are hard to beat for the psychokinetic boy, and his recovery near impossible to gimp. He is one of the few who can hold is own in the air against Ness, but is an overpowering menace on the ground. Easily a disadvantage for the boy.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I completely disagree with the Sonic chart.

Sonic = Luigi*
Luigi counters everything Sonic has to offer. He is the absolute worst match up for sonic. Massive priority in air. His spindash can't be used effectively etc etc.
Sonic<Luigi
Sonic<Falco
Sonic<Wolf
Disagree with Falco and wolf.
Spindash bypasses the lasers and allows him to get up close.
He isn't to good against Falco so perhaps he would still be less especially in the air but wolf defintely ios not superior to Sonic.
Sonic out does him with his aerial game and is difficult for Wolf to play defensively against.
Sonic?Rob
A bad match up for Sonic since he can't gimp ROB. Grante dhe can due massive amounts of damage to ROB but KOing by gimping is impossible and forces him to rely on limited array of KO moves.
= since ROB doesn't have much over sonic besides KO moves and recovery ability.
ROB could possibly outlast Sonic

Sonic<Lucario
=
Lucario outdoes him aerially but on the ground Sonic can set him up for a goodamount of damage.
His spindash gives him high priority and his homing attack counters Lucario's me first move.
Sonic?Zamus
Equal since Sonic can ruin Zamus recovery attempts due to her predictable movement.
he outspeeds her and she cannot KO him as easily as he can KO her.

Sonic?Snake*
Grater. Sonic dismantles any projectile game Snake has and while he can't ruin Snake's recovery attempt easily, his Bair can knock Snake out of his recovery for an easy KO.
Sonic?Peach
=
Without float cancel she isn't as dangerous but her turnip ability can hurt him.
He can't gimp her either but he can chase her to death which is a plus.
If she pulls a sword though...
Sonic<Zelda
>
Sonic ruins her camping strategy and she cannot compare to him in close range. Aerial wise she may do well but Sonic's Uair murders her while she is in the air.
Granted jer fair and Bair and Usmash can kill but Sonic can use his spring to cancel her Uair in case he is above her then Dair back to safety and continue a ground game until he can Uair her to death or chase her off the stage.
Farore is good but Sonic's speed can let him get close before she teleports away.
Sonic?Charizard
>
granted he can't gimp charizard easily but that means little since he can combo Charizard easily until he can KO charizard.
Sonic=Ivysaur*
IMO greater. Since Ivysaur can't abuse bullet seed or his razor leaf while sonic does a spindash due to the massive priority it gets during the little hop.
Sonic>Link*
equal IMO.
granted he can gimp but Link's projectile arsenal can make it difficult.
The arrows can cut through the spindash priority and in the air Link has better priority and range with his attacks.
Then again I am biased towards link.

Sonic?Mr. Game & Watch
Lesser.
Game and watch just out does him just as WW link does.

I only quoted that which I wish to share an opinion on.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with alot of these. But it is well organized and I appreciate the effort. At least it groups matchups together for good and intelligent(hopefully) discussions.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Snake murders Sonic.

He doesn't need to camp. He can just use basic grenade tactics like hold the grenade and wait for Sonic to attack and the nade blows up in his face while Snake shields.

Also Snake's priority is insane on his tilts and he can kill Sonic easily. How is sonic gonna get Snake off the side to gimp him often when Snake is like 3rd heaviest in the game and Sonic has crap knockback?

Sonic appraochs Snake and eats an f-tilt for 21%.

Rinse and repeat till the hedgehog is done.

How does Sonic beat Snake?

Explain it to me.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
It is way too early for a Match-Up chart right now. Match-ups are mainly based on how one character would fare against another in a tournament setting of highly skilled but equal players. This can change based on the currently discovered techniques for the characters, how they are used, and the current metagame. Brawl's metagame is still in the infant stage, meaning, you will not get an accuracte Match-up chart before the tier list from the SBR is finished, which most likely won't happen this year.

For reference, check out Melee's matchup chart.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92025

Snake DOES murder Sonic. As someone demonstrated in a friendly, Snake can GRAB Sonic out of his trademark spin and only take 5% damege from the spin. Emblem Lord is correct.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
GAW

vs dk: gaw has the speed advantage for sure, dk with the power. I'd say in most cases their range is equivalent, while dk has super armor frames to get giant punch kills in. I see no reason as to why this isn't an equal matchup.

vs ike: ike has a ton of range, lacks speed. GW out speeds him and can gimp him with dtilts and such. Ike is pretty powerful, def an even matchup.

vs lucario: gaw has range, power, speed, recovery, and edgeguarding over lucario. i see no reason as to why lucario is even in question, gw owns this matchup.

vs samus: samus has missiles and grapple that outrange gw, most of gw's other cc attacks will range samus. gw is def more able to kill than samus, and has better combos to boot. I'd say gw has the advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom