• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl- 2.1.1 Legacy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to say:
Brawl- lost its original touch. It used to be a fun mod, with some more broken that others.
This strive for "balance" has made the game stale, no one is better than anyone, hence now there is no "Ha! I beat your Wolf with my crappy ummm, Yoshi?"

It's just another Brawl+, it just screams louder and has more pretty colors.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
what are the diddy, lucas and ness RELs I see?
The diddy, lucas, and ness .rel files are to make it so that when you upB into a wall, you ride up the wall rather than bouncing off and dying.
I just wanted to say:
Brawl- lost its original touch. It used to be a fun mod, with some more broken that others.
This strive for "balance" has made the game stale, no one is better than anyone, hence now there is no "Ha! I beat your Wolf with my crappy ummm, Yoshi?"

Sorry to hear that.

JOE!

Smash Hero
some chars are still worse vs others, thats inevitable.

what theyre tryign to do is make it so theres no more D3 vs DKs or MK vs ROBs

Linkshot

Smash Hero
The diddy, lucas, and ness .rel files are to make it so that when you upB into a wall, you ride up the wall rather than bouncing off and dying.
Lucas shouldn't have this. He gets a second UpB for slamming the wall.
Diddy should take damage and wallcling instead. The hitbox is a legitimate killmove.

Ness is fine with the slide though.

-

Thanks for the Squirtle UpB and SideB. It's like you read my mind. The Ivysaur stuff rocks, too. The skin paint startled me, though.

Any thoughts about a hitbox when Link takes his sword out after the sheath taunt? (Mortal Draw)
Going to rebuff Kirby's Cook to spout 5 per item? I miss that a lot.
Shouldn't Samus actually have the best dodge since Morph Ball is the most coveted mechanism in her canon?

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
the .rel file for lucas blows him up at 6:47 every match.

Better win fast!

imo the Lucas second upB isn't that great of a mechanic and I think sliding up the wall will be way better for his recovery.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
I think the team just likes editing stuff.

I'm not complaining, I love new stuff to mess around with.
Guilty as charged ;P

what are the diddy, lucas and ness RELs I see?
Answered in #brawlminus before I saw you'd asked this here, but for anyone else wondering: the ft_diddy.rel, ft_lucas.rel, and ft_ness.rel files are StandardToaster's fix to those three character's up-B, which lets them ride up a wall instead of bouncing off.

I just wanted to say:

There's nothing intrinsically WRONG with getting your jollies from using an underpowered character to beat a much better one, but if that's the case, then Brawl Minus is emphatically not the mod for you.

/RtEB

fake edit: ninja'd x4 combo!

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Nah I'm just making stuff up.

And while I'm making stuff up, the Diddy .rel activated a special smash ball taunt, but you have to utaunt between 4:56-4:59 or you miss the window

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
So everytime I try to pick Marth my wii cuts to a black screen and shouts obscenities at me is this normal???

EDIT: This is only in 2.1, 2.0 worked fine

NNID
Budget_Player
I just wanted to say:

Wait. Wut?

Are you seriously complaining that the game is so well-balanced that you can't "beat a high tier with a low tier and laugh about it"?

Or is this about us nerfing things?

If it's the latter, I've been over this. Some things are just flat-out over the top. I brought up the examples of Sheik's 1.6 fair (which started killing around like 70%), Ness's 1.0 fair (virtually literally unbeatable brick wall, autocombo'd into itself and a deadly spike), and Luigi's 1.0 fair (not even remotely fair). Sometimes "buffing up" is just flat-out not an option (imagine a OHKO mach tornado for an example of something you simply cannot buff up to), at other times the game's internal design just degenerates. I mean, sure we could all buff up to the point where ganon's 1.6 kill power was "reasonable". Regardless of what this game is supposed to be, though, it's simply a bad idea.

If it's the former... THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT FOR A MOMENT!!!

I mean seriously, you're *****ing that the game is too balanced? Too well-designed?! You want "stupid broken"? You want "lousy balance"? Go play a different game. We do not do that, we never intended to. If that was what you liked about 1.0, I'm afraid to say it was an unintentional (and thoroughly detrimental) side-effect of our main goals. >.>

So everytime I try to pick Marth my wii cuts to a black screen and shouts obscenities at me is this normal???

EDIT: This is only in 2.1, 2.0 worked fine
Could be a texture problem? I don't get that. Try ditching common5, CSS files, textures, and trying again. If that's not it it's probably your wii.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I am using the riivolution set up and I am sure everything has downloaded correctly and such but some stages just dont show up for me.
While not too much of a problem since I can manually add things (once I stop being lazy) I thought I would point it out.

1337 mario brothers, Dreamland 64, rumble falls+ are like this
however lavaville, the edits of pirate ship, spear pillar shows up just fine.
(get the feeling I'm forgetting things to test)

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
2.1?!?! Dang I really got keep up @.@ Not to mention I now gotta reorder all my textures and models again...

However, some of the changes sound badass. The Samus changelist is freakin huge o.O

I honestly think that Brawl- is the best thing to happen to Brawl in a loooooong time. It's more fun than vBrawl, even more accessible (landing combos has never felt so easy and satisfying), it's more unique than all the other codesets combined, it (rather ironically) is one of the (if not THE) most balanced Brawl codeset out there and overall I think it's absolutely fantastic what you guys have achieved.

From now on, I'm going to make my a version of my PSAs compatible with Brawl- (that's how much you guys have inspired me ^^, though it'll be difficult for some of them to introduce a cool gimmick to make them feel like they should belong). I already did my Burst Sonic one (although there is one problem of his Side B being far too strong. It kills even heavyweight characters at about 30% @.@) here if anyone doesn't know/is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH7AQx49I0w

Oh and one last thing. I just wanted to know who all the current members of the team are. In the OP it just says you've lost some team members but I'd like to know the usernames of all of you. And now I just want to say thanks again. Brawl- has not only been super fun to play, but I've learned quite a bit from studying the character .pac files.

Xyless

Smash Master
I am using the riivolution set up and I am sure everything has downloaded correctly and such but some stages just dont show up for me.
While not too much of a problem since I can manually add things (once I stop being lazy) I thought I would point it out.

1337 mario brothers, Dreamland 64, rumble falls+ are like this
however lavaville, the edits of pirate ship, spear pillar shows up just fine.
(get the feeling I'm forgetting things to test)
Most likely are not loading the module files in pf\module.

Xyless

Smash Master
Oh and one last thing. I just wanted to know who all the current members of the team are. In the OP it just says you've lost some team members but I'd like to know the usernames of all of you. And now I just want to say thanks again. Brawl- has not only been super fun to play, but I've learned quite a bit from studying the character .pac files.
As far as the core main team goes nowadays, I'd see it as...

Co-leaders - BPC/Xyless(me) [BPC keeps people working, I keep a close watch on the scope of changes and characters]
Lead Programmers - theEffinBear, Xyless, BPC, Adam [especially GCT additions], and every so often, Kirk (if he gets inspired for something major like Gandouken)]

Data Miners - Adam, theEffinBear [Basically the people who are most knowledgeable about PSA and/or have done float testing)

Bikini Model - Composer [I don't think I need to explain this one]

Yikarur

Smash Master
I got 2 freezes last night.

first on the dreamland 64 stage after I died (I don't know why that happend)
and one on YI. DK kicked the barrel and the game froze, don't know why that happend either.
there was nothing special D:

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
If there are too many barrels or too large of an explosion or something, the game freezes. Did you have more 2 barrels or more collide?

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
Everything is working fine in 2.1, except for one thing. I can't get Samus's ice missiles to work. When I used a super missile, it had a normal super missile explosion hitbox for 11%, followed by a 5% ice hitbox in the same place about a second later (by which time the opponent has already been knocked away). I replaced the file on my SD card again and am going to try again, but if that doesn't work, does anyone know what is wrong?

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Most likely are not loading the module files in pf\module.
Yeah, its really strange since all my other hacks/codesets my stages are replaced just fine....hmm
Oh well

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Complaints about being too balanced? Son, the OP has stated since the day BPC started this thread that Brawl- aims for ridiculous, broken yet playable and balanced gameplay. If Brawl- ever lost its touch anywhere, I wouldn't know because I've never (sadly) played it. Balance was never not a goal for Minus, though.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Wall o' Text

Everything is working fine in 2.1, except for one thing. I can't get Samus's ice missiles to work. When I used a super missile, it had a normal super missile explosion hitbox for 11%, followed by a 5% ice hitbox in the same place about a second later (by which time the opponent has already been knocked away). I replaced the file on my SD card again and am going to try again, but if that doesn't work, does anyone know what is wrong?
Supposed to. Catches ledges, slopes, walls, and shields.

Also as for the team...

I left it a couple months ago because I strongly felt that removing random aspects was the wrong way to go. I've also been frustrated and busy for other reasons, too.

My contributions:

Marth's Sliding fSmash
and some others that didn't make it public
Pit: UpB Hitboxes, Angel Ring gimpy wind and hitboxes, uThrow, dThrow slash, Jab 3, Arrow Knockback.
Lucas Final Smash
Mario Side Taunt
credit to Lumancer for the idea
Wario fSmash (frame it terminates)
Testing+Suggesting "Winters" (the NPC accidentally put in 2.0)
Various broken pointers
Kill Percents for 1.6 Pokemon Trainer
Exploration of PT's metagame
Various pitched ideas
Playtesting since Dec '09

Overall not as much as TSON, Xyless, Kirk, BPC, the twins, Noah, Bear, etc etc. It was fun, but I could never playtest properly (Ottawa sux) and didn't know my way around the code like the big boys did.

You can still find me in the GameSurge IRC channel and I frequently have to do troubleshooting for newcomers to modding. It's a little small but I prefer to call it cozy.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
Supposed to. Catches ledges, slopes, walls, and shields.
Oh okay. I was thinking that that might be it, but it just seemed like a weird mechanic so it didn't seem likely to me. Thanks for clearing things up.

Anyway, where do you guys usually find matches?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Oh my god.

Being a Samus main in 64, it was so satisfying to pull off a complete BS 0-to-death on my friend's Peach yesterday on Corneria. And only a single missed tech was involved, so it was mostly legitimate.

Also, while on Halberd I got a crash playing as DK when I dash attacked a barrel I had dropped. It was during the hazards segment of the stage, there was only one barrel onscreen and my friend was playing either Peach or Olimar, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Also Olimar is ****ing broken. Without Pikmin he's manageable. But I have to go Bowser because he flat-out ***** my other two characters (Ganon and Donkey Kong). I'm looking at switching from DK to PT though for my other secondary.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Was the barrel hit by your dash attack and halberd's hazard at the same time? Seems like it would be best to remove the explosion because of so many crashes.

:phone:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Nope. I think it got hit from both sides at once though. The current hazard was a claw and it hadn't attacked yet.

Which reminds me, did you change the claw or something? I was falcon punching, got hit by it, and just got turned around instead of taking knockback. It killed me because the Falcon Punch was aimed to clear the ledge, and I ended up getting edgeguarded, but it really threw me off.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
SupremeDirt, the only change that was made to halberd is making it so that when one hazard ends, another starts. No lag between hazards.

:phone:

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Ehh? 2.1 is out and I didn't notice yet.

Any cool 2.1 vids?
I have to re-do part of my topic in the Brazilian smash forums.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Uh, Monk, the claw STILL has startup. It was active but didn't attack yet. That's what I meant.

And I'm not blaming the stage. I'm just saying it on the off chance that it somehow contributed to the crash, as unlikely as that seems to me.

Xyless

Smash Master
Hey guys, I just want to mention that if you want to pitch ideas, your views on characters, any issue you may have, or whatever else, I'm personally always looking for new things to consider. I love feedback, and love discussing the game with people who share a similar passion. Some of the additions in 2.1 that I added (like Snake's crawling in his box, Yoshi's Egg Lay DJC, Luigi's BANG BANG side taunt, and removing Diddy's dsmash on getup attacks) were ideas pitched to me from people not actually in the team.

So if you have anything you're looking for in a character that you think should be, or maybe something that should be changed, let me know by either PM'ing me or getting in touch with me with Skype (my Skype is XylessBrawl).

/advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom