• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brain stop working

Teach-JM

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I need your help !
I am a C.Falcon and Ganondorf player and I wanted to know how to make your brain work during a game.
I don't think you'll understand like this so let me explain . Generally I play on netplay and occasionally IRL a tourney or fest when I can , but I often have a problem. The problem is that during a match I can do some good stuff (follow up tech chase etc) but then it's like my brain stop working , I'm in a part of the stage and litteraly do nothing lol . Generally it occurs when I'm under shield pressure or when i get comboed , it's like I completly don't know what to do anymore so i'm blocked like 5-6 secs.. I don't know how to get over that , any tips please ?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon can never afford to stop moving at high level. Since he's almost always slower than his opponent, he has to adjust his position constantly according to what his opponent does, AND what he thinks his opponent will do (if you're slower, you must read your opponent to keep up in the neutral/zoning game). They move, you move. You need to know how much space to give your opponent at any given time, what to do when they DD, jump to a plat, approach, camp, etc. Don't leave yourself open but still be close enough to punish a mistake.

Last edited:

Teach-JM

Smash Rookie
Ganon can never afford to stop moving at high level. Since he's almost always slower than hits opponent, he has to adjust his position constantly according to what his opponent does, AND what he thinks his opponent will do (if you're slower, you must read your opponent to keep up in the neutral/zoning game). They move, you move. You need to know how much space to give your opponent at any given time, what to do when they DD, jump to a plat, approach, camp, etc. Don't leave yourself open but still be close enough to punish a mistake.
Oh ok, thanks , I really struggle at doing some wise movements (approaching mostly) so sometimes I'm just standing here and thinking "what should I do ?"

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Oh ok, thanks , I really struggle at doing some wise movements (approaching mostly) so sometimes I'm just standing here and thinking "what should I do ?"
You're overthinking it. Just pick options until you learn what not to do. IMO trial and error is the best way to learn anything.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Practice your options. Get the 20XX mod, create a situation (like middle of the stage on Yoshi's Story against X opponent at Y percent), make a save state and do stuff, and load after a reset to neutral. Learn what your best options are, and hell, explore what you would imagine bad options are. Just learn the heck out of situations in general.

Do this enough and you will build yourself a very clear picture of what you should do in any given situation, and how to followup from that afterwards. In a lot of ways, it's even easier to pull off certain things against live humans than it is against 20XX bots because humans are far more predictable than the psuedo random nature of techs, DIs and such from a bot.

THIS WORKS. It works because you know a situation so well that you don't have to do the heavy thinking during the match. It limits your thought process more to picking the option that you most expect your opponent to play into.

Teach-JM

Smash Rookie
Practice your options. Get the 20XX mod, create a situation (like middle of the stage on Yoshi's Story against X opponent at Y percent), make a save state and do stuff, and load after a reset to neutral. Learn what your best options are, and hell, explore what you would imagine bad options are. Just learn the heck out of situations in general.

Do this enough and you will build yourself a very clear picture of what you should do in any given situation, and how to followup from that afterwards. In a lot of ways, it's even easier to pull off certain things against live humans than it is against 20XX bots because humans are far more predictable than the psuedo random nature of techs, DIs and such from a bot.

THIS WORKS. It works because you know a situation so well that you don't have to do the heavy thinking during the match. It limits your thought process more to picking the option that you most expect your opponent to play into.
Woah never expected a detailled answer like that . Thanks alot for taking time to respond ( and thanks to the other persons too don't get me wrong haha) . I'll try !! I hope It will work for me. Thanks again !

Varist

Smash Lord
every time an opponent shield pressures you your ****ing brain stops working and you have to stand in the middle of the stage doing nothing until the fuzz clears. oh my god dude you need to stop playing melee

LOL

Last edited:

Teach-JM

Smash Rookie
every time an opponent shield pressures you your ****ing brain stops working and you have to stand in the middle of the stage doing nothing until the fuzz clears. oh my god dude you need to stop playing melee

LOL
Lol ok I guess

tsulz

Smash Rookie
I play falcon, and personally, when I don't know what to do, I just throw out a knee, even if they are way off stage. Probably horrible advice, but if it connects, I can't complain, if it doesn't, I just go for the knee earlier next time.

GenNyan

Smash Ace

LOL
Smashboards should add a dislike button.

Teach-JM

Smash Rookie
I play falcon, and personally, when I don't know what to do, I just throw out a knee, even if they are way off stage. Probably horrible advice, but if it connects, I can't complain, if it doesn't, I just go for the knee earlier next time.
Yea I've been thinking about this I might (okay bad joke sorry) try this ! When the knee land it can be very benefic haha !

GenNyan GenNyan Yea haha but I didn't pay too much attention to this it's not like I won't play anymore because of him haha

Top Bottom