• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Bowser's coming for weaves: What do you think of the game after the 3DS tournament?

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Personally, I am MUCH more excited. The game looks so amazing in its own right, and completely tournament viable.

Super hyped for the 3DS version now!

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I am MUCH more excited. The game looks so amazing in its own right, and completely tournament viable.

Super hyped for the 3DS version now!
First can I say YES to your thread title :joyful:Hahahaha!

Truthfully I can not wait to play the new Super Smash on the 3DS! Being able to play my favorite game on a portable device will be amazing! I can be sitting in a room with my family and play the new smash while they watch their tv!! It just is so convenient and a very genius move on Nintendo and Sakurai's part! The game looks great and brings so much hype. I am looking forward to the game play as well! The characters move and work SO WELL for a 3DS fighting game!

Overall I am so impressed and pleased with all the footage I have seen so far! I am loving the characters, Stages, Smash run, and the gameplay mechanics as well! I can not wait till it is released and until I can play it all night long!

I'm also looking forward to trying out Bowser now. . . This tournament did nothing but boost the awesomeness of what Bowser beholds in this new smash game! :DDDD I CANT WAIT!

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Omg....for all those who thought the 3DS version wasn't going to be competitive....think again! This game is so hype and I cannot wait to play it! It looks so fresh and polished out and the characters look so amazing. It's beautiful... <3 <3

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
BOWSER HYPE IS OUT OF THIS WORLD.

10/10

WAS BETTER THAN THE INVITATIONAL GRAND FINALS

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So sad our boy Raikou/Rei lost in Grand Finals (he won Winner's Finals) after a DOMINANT RUN.

I've known him for a good while. He's played Brawl competitively for many years. He's a great dude.

But I'm glad my fellow Cali boy Larry Lurr, who is a top player in Melee AND Brawl, got his moment to shine in the sun. Plus from what little I know of him he seems like a pretty cool dude.

Overall it was a fantastic finals. Neither character camped, and while both of them had plenty of holes in their game, considering how few Smash 3DS (or Smash WiiU for that matter) matches they had under their belt, they both did a fantastic job.

Also, Raikou/Rei gave us this gif...

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I was already really excited for the 3DS version, but there was that constant cloud of the opinion that the Wii U version would be the "real" one. Well, that doubt is officially dispelled. I'm hoping a 3DS demo comes out soon so I can check it out myself.

D

Deleted member

This showed that the 3DS version is capable of tournament play. The matches were great, especially the finals. Can't wait to play it. Both the 3DS game and the Wii U game will be competitive.

At long last, people are liking the 3DS version!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
The Bowser ditto was very exciting, perhaps I enjoyed it more since it was best of 3 and Larry reset the bracket it so I got to see more good play.

I lol'd, Bowsercides kills bowsers.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
The quality looks so nice. And it's not even in my hands <3

Although it was still the demo build, I really enjoyed watching (mainly because there was so much Bowser action and I use Bowser in every Smash game :p). Now I'm thinking about how the final product is going to turn out and I'm even more excited.

The fact that it's a new experience for Smash, being that it's on-the-go already had me sold a while back. This tournament was definitely needed to show that the 3DS version is viable for competition. Dunno who actually doubted it though. If anything, I would see people say that it would be overshadowed, which would happen naturally imo.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Goodness. They truly polished away the bad bits of Brawl, adding this aggressive, feel-good play mechanics in their place. Dem Bowser Finals had me in TOES. I hope rest characters feel the same as well.

Last edited:

Soul.

I agree with all this. This just showed that the 3DS version has its merits. At last, people are finally interested in the handheld version. Rejoice, 3DS players!
Hah, and then they thought it would be the inferior version. Lol. The tournament was pretty good.
All we can say is that the 3DS version is definitely getting a competitive scene. One of those reasons is the different stages.
Still, though, Bowser is too good...at least, on this demo.

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
It was very good and promising. Much better than Brawl and the Invitational finals, although it could use a few small speed tweaks but it's not a big deal. Camping only happened because Nintendo allowed such ridiculously large stages.

D

Deleted member

Forget the couch multiplayer, this game has a lot of potential. Being able to play Smash on the go is a dream come true. Bowser's actually looking better now.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
First thing is first: that F-Smash is crazy strong. And that shield break on the Butt Bust? Insane.

Next, addressing the thread. I think this game is competitively viable. I always wanted it to be viable, and looking at it, even though it is still the E3 build, it just looks great and smoother somehow. I don't know why, but it looked smooth sometimes. And my god, the shield drop is so quick and Bowser has like...no lag on his bair. Needless to say, I'm into it. Soooo into it.

DoubleDeeEddBoy

Smash Cadet
NNID
DoubleDeeEddBoy
3DS FC
0834-0608-8884
Today was a good day for me to be a Smash fan.
I was already sold on the 3DS version because of the concept of Smash on the go, and today's PotD had me excited to know that the game supports Streetpass (yes, I have an unhealthy obsession with Streetpass).
This just seals the deal even more. I can already feel the speed and the performance of the players were better than the Invitational and it is definitely smoother than Brawl! And this is just from viewing the Bowser mirror match, a character that is slow to begin with. If I can feel how smooth the game is from a Bowser mirror match of all things, then I know I am going to enjoy this game!

Folt

Smash Ace
The tournament got so much more exciting when Bowser teared up and 4-stocked Sheik like the boss he is. That would have been unthinkable in the past. Kudos to Larry as well for pulling off such a spectacular underdog finish to a good tournament as well. He deserved that red jacket.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Bowser looks like the new Ike this time around. I remember people picking up Brawl for the first time tended to do well with Ike, as he was uber powerful, had some quick moves, and was heavy, so harder to knock far.

I'm gonna be pretty excited if heavies make a competitive showing.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
And honestly, even if the build (mechanics mainly) doesn't end up changing all that much, I'll be fine with that. I'm already seeing the signs of a more polished Brawl with its own Smash 4 flair. It should be clear by now that the Smash games do not turn out like its predecessors. Similarities? Sure, you're bound to find some. Identical games just with new characters, stages, items, and modes? No.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This just my be may favorite thread title ever. Yes. Snatch them weaves Bowser.

Last edited:

Black Hayato PTA

Smash Cadet
Even though I played the 3ds version, I was skeptical about how well I'd be able to adapt to the control scheme in high end situations. Seems all those worries are gone now as the grand finals proved to me if you have a little bit of time with it, you can produce some tight movements. A few SDs were likely from the controls but it seemed the players were able to still become comfortable with the controls in a reasonable amount of time which now makes me excited for it (even though I was buying it anyway just to see full roster / move sets /final mechanics)

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
So much Bowser Bombing in FFAs.
Those four stocks with Bowser were amazing and the grand finals was more enjoyable than the E3 grand finals.

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
The finals were so hype, and I'm much more excited for this game now that we can all see how it looks and feels in a competitive environment (sorry Bill, you're Rosalina ain't no Bowser).

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I've always been hyped for 3DS smash because I didn't plan on getting a Wii U for quite some time still. Seeing the game in action just makes me so happy that my hopes haven't been misplaced. I could see everything just fine, the controls seemed responsive, and even though Bowser was the focus, it seemed most of the characters have some viability.

Now if only we could see some more smash run. I'd like that.

Renji64

Smash Lord
That turned out well a rough start early but it showed the 3ds ain't so bad for smash. I loved grand finals way better than the crappy stall fest of the invational. The only issue i have the game still seems heavily defensive so it might just be a secondary game for me.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
That turned out well a rough start early but it showed the 3ds ain't so bad for smash. I loved grand finals way better than the crappy stall fest of the invational. The only issue i have the game still seems heavily defensive so it might just be a secondary game for me.
I'm getting this feeling too. The grand finals were reasonably offensive, but I'm still not sure what to expect from the final game. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully we get an eShop demo!

Renji64

Smash Lord
I'm getting this feeling too. The grand finals were reasonably offensive, but I'm still not sure what to expect from the final game. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully we get an eShop demo!
I'm still happy over all with it just minor gripes. That would be awesome if a demo did come out alot of towns/cities didn't have the e3 demo.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
SOME BACKGROUND ON OUR CHAMPIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

DEHF, sometimes known as Larry or Larry Lurr, is a Falco player from Reseda, California who consistently places well in tournaments throughout Southern California. He is widely considered to be the best Brawl Falco main in the United States, having done well in national tournaments and having taken sets off the best players in the world, such as Ally, Mew2King, and RAIN, and is considered one of the best Falco mains in the world, on par with other significant players such as Masha and SLS.

DEHF also plays Falco in Melee at a professional level, and plays Fox and Falco in Project M at a top professional level as well, taking 3rd place at Apex 2014's PM event using them. He is currently ranked 2nd on the SoCal Brawl Power Rankings, 8th on theSoCal Melee Power Rankings, and 1st on the SoCal Project M Power Rankings. He is also ranked 87th on the 2013 SSBM Player Rankings. He won the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS tournament at the 2014 San Diego Comic-Con, the first tournament of its kind, mainly playing Bowser.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still wish Nintendo released a demo for the game, but I can wait. It's going to be: No Items. Bowser Only. Battlefield.

It's great to see that now everyone's liking the 3DS version.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I'm still skeptical. Alot of the gameplay looked like it had the same campiness as Brawl, and players were getting punished almost ALL the time for being agressive, save for Bowser players.

-Shield-grabbing and acting out of your shields is EXTREMELY effective.
-There's the Brawl airdodge, letting you dodge anything anytime in midair with relatively no risk.
-The throws rarely set up for combos.
-Plus the lack of edgeguarding with nothing to replace it don't help the game's pace at all.
-Sakurai's lack of knowledge proper character balancing shows again, ESPECIALLY if you take into account his "intended audience"(low to mid-skill players). It feels like the same old story with Brawl's. Somehow Samus was considered the most powerfull character despite what we've seen Bowser do here today. No low-skill Samus would win against a low-skill Bowser, ever.

Granted, the grand finals WERE pretty cool, but it was also the only good-looking match in the whole tournament, and a Bowser ditto at that. If the whole game is based on counterattacks like shown here, I don't see this game going anywhere epic in the long run, especially not when people figure out the metagame.

Apologies for not continueing the positive atmosphere, but that's just my 2 cents. I wish to be wrong.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
What do I think of the game? Hmm, well, this further solidifies the fact that this will be competitively viable. It'll have more presence than Project M but less than Melee. It'll reward both offensive AND defensive play. It wont be much about tech but more about mind games.(which sounds fun) Aside from that, the graphics are beautiful, and the game looks pretty smooth.
I didn't see the whole tourney, but I heard something about it lagging? If it was the little bit that I saw I think it can easily be fixed.

TL;DR this game is gonna be good.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
What do I think of the game? Hmm, well, this further solidifies the fact that this will be competitively viable. It'll have more presence than Project M but less than Melee. It'll reward both offensive AND defensive play. It wont be much about tech but more about mind games.(which sounds fun) Aside from that, the graphics are beautiful, and the game looks pretty smooth.
I didn't see the whole tourney, but I heard something about it lagging? If it was the little bit that I saw I think it can easily be fixed.

TL;DR this game is gonna be good.
The lagging was the stream, not the game itself from what I could tell. Their streaming equipment just wasn't ready to go it seems.

Also I must say I like you signature sir, it is very pretty.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I'm still skeptical. Alot of the gameplay looked like it had the same campiness as Brawl, and players were getting punished almost ALL the time for being agressive, save for Bowser players.

-Shield-grabbing and acting out of your shields is EXTREMELY effective.
-There's the Brawl airdodge, letting you dodge anything anytime in midair with relatively no risk.
-The throws rarely set up for combos.
-Plus the lack of edgeguarding with nothing to replace it don't help the game's pace at all.
-Sakurai's lack of knowledge proper character balancing shows again, ESPECIALLY if you take into account his "intended audience"(low to mid-skill players). It feels like the same old story with Brawl's. Somehow Samus was considered the most powerfull character despite what we've seen Bowser do here today. No low-skill Samus would win against a low-skill Bowser, ever.

Granted, the grand finals WERE pretty cool, but it was also the only good-looking match in the whole tournament, and a Bowser ditto at that. If the whole game is based on counterattacks like shown here, I don't see this game going anywhere epic in the long run, especially not when people figure out the metagame.

Apologies for not continueing the positive atmosphere, but that's just my 2 cents. I wish to be wrong.
Nah, man, you're mostly right. All of us want the game to be good and offensive, but that's no reason to pretend it's not still a pretty defensive game. We'll see if that changes in the final build; it just might.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
The lagging was the stream, not the game itself from what I could tell. Their streaming equipment just wasn't ready to go it seems.

Also I must say I like you signature sir, it is very pretty.
Yeah, I'll I remember reading was "lag" so yeah. And thanks.

Top Bottom