• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
What color Bowser do you all use?

Red's my favorite color, so that's what color scheme I go with. But I'm thinking of switching to his original scheme.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I use black Bowser. It's been my color since Melee.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Default color since they got rid of that gold and red color scheme from Brawl that I liked

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Blonde koopa. Matches Sena's hair.

Alternatively, the platinum one

I also use the black bowser. So basically colors 2, 3 and 5

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I switched to the Pink Hair Bowser because based.
Yeah, it's based. (on Bowletta. At least, I would like to think so because it would make that costume about 10000000000000x more awesome than I thought it was; I originally thought it was just some Photobucket-esque hue/saturation edit and I was vehemently disappointed in it)

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I use super saiyan bowser.

Jaydeth what is the gimpyfish combo? I thought it was just forward smash

B!squick

Smash Master
I use blue because Bowser, blue, and my tag (BEARD) give me three b's. There's nothing significant about that, I just like alliteration.

I use super saiyan bowser.

Jaydeth what is the gimpyfish combo? I thought it was just forward smash
It is. But the old FSmash had two hitboxes you could hit with, making it Bowser's best "combo".

At least, that's what I figure the joke is. I doubt there's a wiki page for it.

DegynSefer

Smash Rookie
NNID
DegynSefer
Sup everyone, Name is Degyn and am picking up Bowser in this version hopeing to learn what i can but hope to contribute to this thread and get to meet my fellow bowser mains if i can :D Also i use either default or red bowser, when im blood thirsty.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Oh man, it's been a while.

I'm Uncle, yet another Brawl Bowser veteran, but nowhere near the best. MrEh, Zigsta, Vex, Limit, Acid, Ixis, and KingKong were the real rock stars of the Bowser meta. I was simply a mid-level player who had a lot of experience playing a low-tier character.

I became moderator of the Brawl Bowser board in 2012, and during that time I gave our MU thread a huge makeover. I was also one of the Bowser panelists in the last big BBR MU Chart Discussion. Other than that, I'm nothing special. The Bowser players I've already mentioned, JayDeth, Flayl, and others built the Bowser community from the ground up. I was just happy to be a part of it and add to it.

In early 2013, I finally decided to hang up my Gamecube controller. I vanished from the community with little fanfare while the big site migration was happening. There were many reasons for my retirement from Brawl, and I won't clutter this thread with them. Let's just say that I was disillusioned, frustrated, and unmotivated at that point of my life.

Almost two years later, I find myself smashing heartily once again. I picked up Smash for Wii U at launch, and I'm loving it so far. Bowser feels better than ever, and I like how many gameplay elements from Brawl and Melee that I considered toxic are no longer present. Obviously, this game has some balance issues of its own, but I'll take them over the issues of previous games any day of the week! Plus, there's always patches to consider.

I'm not sure yet about how involved I'll be with the competitive scene of this game, but I'll maintain a mild presence on the forum, at the very least. ;)

As for colors, I'm digging the multi-green Bowser with red hair the most. He looks like a Ninja Turtle, and he makes me think of Raphael in particular.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm so bad at cancelling air dodge into B moves. Can someone remind me the timing of when you need to airdodge?

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I'm so bad at cancelling air dodge into B moves. Can someone remind me the timing of when you need to airdodge?
I wasn't that successful in the tournament, but it's supposed to be just as you initiate your short hop. If you're falling from up high, the distance is roughly 3 Bowsers up when not fast falling. Good luck.

NNID
Budget_Player
Hi guys. I'm a bowser main. I like long dropkicks on the beach and murdering people. I dislike sonic. Immensely. How do you play that matchup?

Also, how does ledge trumping work, and what can bowser get off it? I realize DownB off the ledge is kind of amazing for this.

Also, fun game: take a shot every time you kill someone way lower than you have any business killing them. For example: just now, I killed a falco off the edge at 100. WITH FTILT.

EDIT: Dear god. It's been a while huh.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I dislike sonic. Immensely. How do you play that matchup?
Just walk back and forth on one side of the stage to let him know it's your territory and let him approach you. There's no point in approaching Sanic, and most Sanics expect you to be the one approaching.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
I've been trying that and I keep on eating fullscreen spindashes. I honestly can't figure out what to do about that. UpB clanks, firebreath is trivial to get around, and punishing it on block seems impossible. What tools should I be using?

B!squick

Smash Master
You show him Sonic Boom. It makes the announcer from SF pipe up and say "KAY-OH!" when it kills him.

For reals though, I only ever played a decent Sonic once and it was the most annoying thing in the world.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I fought a very good Sonic in loser's bracket at Super Arcade on Saturday and managed to win 2 out of 3. If you see the spin-dash and not the homing attack, you have a few options, and all of them have different timing for the punish. One is to straight up jab Sanic. It will cancel his attack and put you within range for jabs. Do not go ham on the jab. Jab once to confirm, if he rolls behind you, fortress. The second thing you can do is dash away pivot grab/tilt. Timing is a little more lenient and you get some nice stage control. Then you have your shield and its options. If you shield, you need to be prepared for Sanic continuing to pressure the shield. You need to be prepared to resort to rolling in order to have a positional advantage, and to spot dodge if the Sanic is dumb enough to homing attack. That's a free grounded bomb there. MrBones typically likes to jump out of shield pressure to try and catch Sanic with an aerial.

If Sanic is fullscreen spin dashing, then that's the time to learn, baby! It does NOT get easier than the full screen spin-dash and the Sanic I met only did it once and regretted it for the rest of the set. If you're gonna learn to punish, start there, and work your way to midscreen spin dash. You need to be capable of pressuring Sanic as soon as he enters your zone of pressure, and you need to be able to identify what they want to do with their spin-dash, whether they want to jump around and wait for you to approach, cancel it and try to dash in for a mix-up, or try to homing attack you thinking you can't tell the difference.

Last edited:

DegynSefer

Smash Rookie
NNID
DegynSefer
Ok im in need of help but i just got totally destroyed by a charizard, and was wondering if anyone has possible matchup knowledge on that

his fire beat mine every time, his grabs outrange me, tilts and all, or am i just playing it wrong?

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Ok im in need of help but i just got totally destroyed by a charizard, and was wondering if anyone has possible matchup knowledge on that
Charizard has phenomenal kill moves, exceeding ours in range, and his neutral game has two tools that make him great against us: jab and flamethrower. Against jab, you should never try to challenge it. It suffers against shields just like any other jab. Against flame, if you get caught, it's free damage and a reset for them. You can beat their flame by full hopping into your own flame since the angle in the air is much better and will flinch Charizard out of his flame first unless you were too slow. You should always be prepared to shield grab Charizard's rock smash before the rock shatters, or roll behind him if it does. Charizard can rock smash cancel a jump OoS to slide forward with the attack, so be aware of this. Always try to shield flare blitz unless you have the balls to break it with dair's wind back. Charziard has a ridiculous standing grab range, so be careful if you're cornered at the ledge. Charizard's down throw can and will kill us at the edge of final destination at 155% or so, depending on rage. Charizard should not be able to grab you through an attack unless the hitbox has vanished by the time the grab comes out. Remember that ftilt leans bowser's face forward for all kinds of ungodly punishment. Perfectly spaced ftilt is safe only against a few characters.

Our main tools in this fight should be ftilt, SH fair, and flamebreath. Fortress shouldn't come into play often unless they've never played as Charizard before, and aerial klaw should only be used if they're respecting your fair too much.

Last edited:

rekt

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0318-9141-7498
Hey!

My name is Rekt and I've been playing since melee was a thing but only got serious in being "good" when brawl came out. I've never really main'ed anyone in prior games as I would get bored with whoever I was playing, however Wolf was one I consistently enjoyed. Near the end I started playing the heavies and I realized how much fun they were. For this reason I have settled on Bowser and D3 as my two mains for sm4sh. Hope to do my best to contribute!

~Rekt

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I use blue because Bowser, blue, and my tag (BEARD) give me three b's. There's nothing significant about that, I just like alliteration.

It is. But the old FSmash had two hitboxes you could hit with, making it Bowser's best "combo".

At least, that's what I figure the joke is. I doubt there's a wiki page for it.
Huh. I had no idea. I always assumed the joke was calling it a combo when it was just one move.

B!squick

Smash Master
I don't know what you guys are smoking. I tested Lizardon's grab extensively when that one guy was trying to convince us Charizard is better. His grab range doesn't look any bigger to me and our pivot grab is better anyway.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Huh. I had no idea. I always assumed the joke was calling it a combo when it was just one move.
You never knew it was 2 hits after all the times I hit you with it in Brawl???

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
There were also a lot of opportunities for ZSS to grab MrEh. Fortunately, they were not taken. Hope you get more opportunities to show us the matchup, MrEh. Beautiful aerial klaws. The ZSS respected your air game more than I expected.

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
I'm not really bummed that I lost. I'm bummed that I was cheated out of match 1. I mean come on. I even stood at the particular range to bait him to downB with ZSS. lol

That would have been the most glorious Usmash...

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I'm not really bummed that I lost. I'm bummed that I was cheated out of match 1. I mean come on. I even stood at the particular range to bait him to downB with ZSS. lol

That would have been the most glorious Usmash...
Yeah, the usmash read. Just barely late. :urg:

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
That's what happens when your reflexes go to the ****ter. I'm way slower than I used to be. Heh.

GanonDuck

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ganonduck
New poster, long time lurker. I'm a complettly new smasher to competitive play from Norway who have decided to pickup Bowser. Bowser is a character ive always enjoyed since melee but never really been able to do that good with. So when the 3ds version came out i originally decided to continue with my brawl main Wario, but after trying out the Koopa King he really, really reminded me of a typical big grappler character that i usually play in other fighting games. So ever since the WiiU version came out ive been hard at work with practicing him and become one of the best Bowsers there ever was.

And as my name imply i also have a Ganondorf. :v

B!squick

Smash Master
You're still the best Bowser in the pacific if not the world, MrEh. I've yet to see anyone play Bowser half that well.

What are your secondaries? Jigglypuff still?

MrEh

Smash Hero
I maintain that I'm nothing special. I'm just a guy who likes playing the game.

I also play a bit of DK, Zard, and Brawler. Also Palutena if I'm feeling a bit stupid(er). I'm pretty bad at all of them though.

Top Bottom