• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser vs Zero Suit Samus match up help?

FlareRDB

Smash Rookie
I feel like gigantic punching back when I'm up against her. I perfect shield those stuns, then she runs in and grabs and the fun begins. The best thing I could do was use a grounded up B to rack up some damage and get some ftilts and dtilts to punish bad rolls, but it wasn't enough.

How have you guys dealt with ZSS?

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
She is fast AND she is strong, but she is also extremely light. Just so you know, ZSS stun gun does not have very long range and if you don't approach this can make her extremely impatient. I am guessing the ZSS you're coming across who are the type who run up, down grab you and follow up with an up b. As soon as you block the projecile or spot dodge it, tumble backwards and her grab should miss you. The recover is so bad on this, you can likely get a Koopa Klaw in for good damage.

Best advice too is to know two things, what attacks not to use and staying grounded. Never use a down-b unless you know the ZSS is dumb or for some reason has decided to park herself underneath you. Even then her up-smash out prioritizes out butt slam, so it's asking for trouble. Second, do not use your forward smash as if the ZSS is any good, she will not be hit. The exception to this of course if you somehow break her shield. Third, DO NOT engage ZSS in the air. Stay on the ground. Out of shield grab her if you're fortunate for her to park in front if you and either pummel her, followed by a forward tilt, or launch her into the air. Your Up-smash goes through her down air and can potentially K.O her at around 80% if you charge it enough. Saying that, try to punish ZSS as she comes down via Up-smash or a shield and klaw/grab. The only exception to this is a fair from below, but only if you can safely assume she isn't going to down-b your face.

For general engagement, the tumble loving ZSS, neutral a (The double jab) can work wonders to catch them off guard as they'll likely be passing you by. It also provides a small knockback and potentially open a dash A (drop kick) into the air to rack up some damage. But always remember when she is coming close, prep the shield and get ready to spot dodge (the grapple).

Another exceptional ally we Bowser's have which has thankfully transferred perfectly from Brawl is your down tilt (where Bowser strikes out with his fists in two swipes while crouched). It has good reach and it hits like a truck. In fact it can K.O ZSS at roughly 95%. I use this as a substitute for actual smash attacks to get her out of the ring. In addition to this, fire. I've probably said this to the point of being blue in the face, but approaching by fire while she is trying to stun you with her gun can work wonders. Not only does it cancel out her gun's projectile, it can also rack up some good damage.

Finally, of course if you have been grappled and she chucks you into the air, hold down the control stick to descend quicker and MASH the L (Or R, depending on your configurations) to air dodge any potential up-b or air combo. Knowing how to and when to air dodge is also crucial as I feel Bowser has a minor edge over Samus on the ground. She is fast and hits surprisingly hard, but damn we can hit harder and can definitely take more.

Good luck.

Last edited:

B!squick

Smash Master
Hey JayDeth, why did you bother making a match-up topic when people are going to make topics like this anyway? Great question...

Incidentally, I recommend a mix up of aerials and much UpB when close for just about any match-up.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Her dive kick is really safe, so don't try any big punishes, unless you have it scouted out and are spaced perfectly to already have your smash charged while she's on the way down, otherwise you can shield grab it pretty reliably or use a tilt out of shield or fortress if she lands right next to you.

The flip can be punished with upsmash if you're spaced right, keep in mind that once the flip starts her only options are to land on you for a footstool, or kick you. She can also influence the width of the arc a bit, but other than that, she can't do anything till the flip is complete or till she lands or uses the kick to bounce off of you or your shield.

If you see the kick come out just let her land, even if she does it as soon as possible, she'll take some major landing lag for it and you'll get a punish, if she bounces off of you or your shield with the kick, then she recovers pretty quick and can probably follow up on it if she connects.

If she doesn't kick and you shield the footstool, then she will be unable to do anything other than move away from you during the entire animation she does afterwards until she lands. So you could try to cover her landing with a big punish like a smash or Bowser bomb.

The paralyzer is annoying but managable, don't ever klank it unless you are really close to her, otherwise you'll be stuck in the klank animation and give her frame advantage. If you notice she likes to charge the projectile whenever shooting it, then you can try to approach between shots, it can work pretty well if they aren't expecting you but you can also run up and shield, you should be at advantage when blocking the projectile right in front of her and she can't cancel or save it so there's no mix-up outside of the timing.

Her dash attack is annoying, it goes really far and is pretty active, so watch when you use your roll. It can go through your shield so punishing it on block can be a little tricky, but it's not impossible. Her grab is pretty slow and punishable, so be sure to spot dodge if you notice her grabbing often, if you manage to avoid the grab then go for your punish.

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit lazy right now to write a wall of text.

But one thing is sure : she has a really hard time killing you if she doesn't land any stuns/paralyze sh*t.
If her F-smash is blocked by your shield, you can Fsmash back OoS.

I'll write more later C:

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
If you're actually perfect-shielding her stun gun, you should have more than enough time to avoid getting grabbed. =o Just work on your reaction time and don't do anything extremely punishable. Other than that, everyone else has pretty much covered it.

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
Really useful advice ! Recently I've been trying out bowser on FG and this matchup is one of his toughest but boy you bowser mains really know your character coming from a fox main im impressed somehow people can notice the advantages he has over ZSS

Top Bottom