• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Stage Discussion ~ Week #20: Distant Planet

B!squick

Smash Master
I see. I can never seem to jump high enough to get back on the stage through. I only land FAirs from it about half the time. I wish I could seamlessly FTilt from it like MrEh. *_*

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
God forbid u fight an olimar mainer with bowser but this in my experience is the place where u would take him. Bowser's fire breath does some real damage here and somethng about this stage gives olimar a hard time. edgehogging seems like the main thing to do against him but all of this is based on one character. Other than that avoid this level

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I never really understood why this stage was a Starter in the first place. The ghosts make the stage kinda random.

But everything that I could've said about this stage has already been said by my predecessors, so I'll just keep thinking about how Yoshi's Island is a Starter. Which reminds me, I'll update the stagelist to fit with the SBR Ruleset 2.0.

Wow, they put Norfair into Counter/Banned. Meh.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Yoshi's Island is the worst neutral, period. Don't go here, ever.

Platform is dumb, ghosts hurt more than help in most situations, etc.

Also, Norfair hurts us more than helps us now, anyway. It's better to have it banned.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Look, Norfair is no where near as good as it is cracked up to be. Regardless, it's banned anyway, and you have better stages to choose from.

Besides, if you CP Norfair, anyone can pick Oli and win. End of story.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Look, Norfair is no where near as good as it is cracked up to be. Regardless, it's banned anyway, and you have better stages to choose from.

Besides, if you CP Norfair, anyone can pick Oli and win. End of story.
1. Most bowser players would agree that norfair is in fact a very good stage. He's not the best at it but he still does really well.

2. It's not banned. It's under counter pick/ban meaning it isn't fully banned.

3. Oli isn't a very pick up and play char. It takes quite a bit of practice to get used to him and he has a pretty high learning curve.

An intelligent olimar of course but definitely not anyone.

@above

that's why you think when your cping >_>

-:bowser:Bowser King

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yes, most people loathe Norfair.

If noone has objections, we can talk about Norfair after we are done with this stage. Although... we pretty much are. So. I guess we could officially start with Norfair. Then Liquid Gen can explain exactly what makes this stage so horrible for Bowser.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
It's not that it's a bad Bowser stage. It's just a better Olimar, MK, Snake, Pikachu, ZSS, and G&W stage (and maybe others too).

Let's say you lose to a Dedede on whatever neutral stage round 1. For your CP you choose Norfair, because the rising lava and small platforms will help deal with Dedede's chaingrabbing. Suddenly, your opponent declares he is switching to MK for the second match. Bowser is now at a disadvantage, and is most likely going to lose the game and the set. If your opponent uses any of the above characters as a secondary, you are ****ed. The only time you should pick Norfair is if your opponent is someone you play often and someone you know doesn't play one of the above characters.

Seriously, I've had situations similar to the one above happen to me more than once now, and since then I've been picking Norfair much much less.

B!squick

Smash Master
I forget, is Weegee's Mansion banned? If not, I think we should declare that Bowser's best stage now that Norfair is out of the picture. I see nothing but awesome from MrEh on that stage. :)

MrEh

Smash Hero
Mansion is now counter/banned, which means that it's banned in most places.

I'm a stupid player, remember that. Just because I like going to Mansion doesn't mean that it's a good idea. lol

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
If you guys want to, we can do the C/B-group now that we've finished the Starters - considering you all seem to want to talk about them. Haha.

Also:
Week #5: NORFAIR

B!squick

Smash Master
Then I'm stupid too because I also enjoy LM. Plus, it has awesome music. :p

Norfair, as we've already discussed, is only good if you KNOW you wont get character CPed. Otherwise, you're better off elsewhere. It's sad though, because this stage has a grand total of 6 grabable ledges, is small, and is all around fun to play on. Klaw Drop needs testing here, I think...

MrEh

Smash Hero
Take anyone here who can't camp you back.

Take Ganondorf there for an epic battle. Not kidding.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Spadefox got it right, it isn't bad but everyone else is just a hell of a lot better here.

Basically meaning that you shouldn't go here except for those random bottom tiers who suck everywhere.

And yes, Bowserking, this WILL be banned because generally all of the borderline stages (C/B) are banned, especially Norfair since everyone hates it as it is.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
To me i think norfair is an awful level for my bowser. The only redeeming quality i can think of right is that the lava can help u survive your bowsercide. I avoid this place

B!squick

Smash Master
The idea is you just sit on the lowest platform and attack from there. Bowser is at his best when beneath his opponent and Norfair offers the perfect set up for this. As well, the stage hazards offer free damage. The only problem is, as mentioned, other characters (MK being the most popular one) have an even bigger advantage than Bowser on Norfair.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
The idea is you just sit on the lowest platform and attack from there. Bowser is at his best when beneath his opponent and Norfair offers the perfect set up for this. As well, the stage hazards offer free damage. The only problem is, as mentioned, other characters (MK being the most popular one) have an even bigger advantage than Bowser on Norfair.
The problem with this is that any character can simply go around bowser. Especially because bowser has no real projectile

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Not worth going here vs. a majority of the cast, due to jab locks, usmashes (LOLIMARRRR), and spammable vertical knockback moves we don't have (fortress, but it isnt exactly the fastest thing around, or the longest ranged).

B!squick

Smash Master
CP this always if you can. I've always loved the music and after watching MrEh play here, I have to say I like Bowser's odds here. The breakable pillars offer a barrier against most projectiles and Bowser can actually spam Fire Breath from relative safety from behind them.

It has it's share of problems though. The non-fall through platforms make it harder for Bowser to kill upwards and the 2 oddly placed platforms in the middle can be a pain sometimes. Opponents can tech off the ceiling of the first floor, greatly increasing the chances that Fortress can be punished.

It's not supposed to be a good Bowser stage. I like it though.

EDIT: Crap, did all three of us get here at the same time? lol

EDIT2: As I stated in Spade's other thread, I'm on a MSPaint trip, so I've decided to make a chart for this. So if everyone could rate the "counter pick-ability" of each stage so far and as we go on a 1 to 5 scale with 5 being the best, that would really help me out.

B!squick

Smash Master
This stage has 3 faces: the small sized first version, the massive 2nd form, and the medium sized last form. Unlike the Wario Ware stage, this one has a rising floor to catch you between switches. You need to be careful when that floor leaves however, especially when it loops back from version 3 to version 1.

The opening look is very Battlefield-y only missing the high platform and the right side is raised a bit. This area just seems like it was built for Bowser; Small, couple platforms, a castle in the background (I wonder if it reminds him of home?). What's really neat is that this is one of the few stages where it's possible to recover from a Bowser-cide do to the rising floor I mentioned.

Speaking of, when that ground comes up it creates walk-offs which has good potential if you can get a grab in here, either normal or Klaw based.

The second stage is pretty massive, though the projectile stopping statues are quite comforting. Again we have walk-offs too, so despite the size, Bowser should do well here.

The last stage... basically it's Final D., only it tilts a la Lylat and has a bump in the middle, both of which make Klaw Hopping and Auto Cancelling more difficult than normal. Definately not as good as the first or second stage or even the between stages stage.

An odd and surprizingly good counter pick.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I dislike the claw thingie in the background that shoots onto the stage. It's cool if you play someone who can recovery low, too, so you can go under the floating platform, lol.

But for Bowser it does kinda suck.

B!squick

Smash Master
This stage has one thing that makes it obscenely terrible to me...

A non-solid main platform. I can't count the number of times I've UpB'd through the stage instead of grabbing the ledge. T_T

Top Bottom