• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Thread (Shadow Mario idea included!!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
La di da~

Neutral B: Bowser Jr. swings his magic paint brush, and a glob of ink flies off of it. If the glob hits the opponent, it will give out damage, and also start too slow the opponent down somewhat. The pain blob takes visual effect on the opponent, and the effects by shaking from side to side, running a bit, or dodge rolling (the later being most effective). The effects do not take much of an effect to the average player, but they do mess with things like attack.

Forward B: Bowser Jr. throws three hammers up over his head, like Yoshi’s eggs. Each hammer has a different trajectory, and unlike Yoshi’s eggs, go all the way to the ground. They are quick with little knock back, but can be a pest to bigger characters, as they can sometimes be hit by two or more. When they hit the ground, they normally just disappear, but every once and awhile, they stay, in which case, either character can pick them up and throw them like a normal item.

Up B: Bowser Jr. sticks his paintbrush up into the air, and a glob of paint makes a portal which he is pulled through. Another portal then appears, and Bowser Jr. tumbles out the opposite way in his shell. The second portal’s spawning point is about as far as a standard teleporting move, and can be positioned with the same amount of fluency. When Bowser Jr. emerges tumbling in his shell, his falling path can be moved as much as another character in permanent falling mode, but he can actually damage opponents who try to pick him off at the spawning point of his portal. The downside to this is when he has a animation where he gets out of his shell, when he hits the ground. For this brief period, he can be hit without the spikes protecting him.

Down B: Bowser Jr. paints a puddle on the ground, and a slime piranha plant pops up. The plant can’t move from its puddle, and is CPU controlled. It is fairly dumb, but it can quickly snap, if an opponent gets to close. It can take a hit from the opponent, but about as much as a standard box can. Bowser Jr. can only make one at a time.

Final Smash: Bowser Jr. summons a giant Mecha-Bowser that appears from the ground onto the stage. The creature is invincible for the short amount of time it is there, but it is fairly slow. It can make hops, but they can barely make it up onto low platforms, not that you really need to do such a thing. Pressing A flails around the arms, in any directions. (Up A causes them to rise and spin near his head, neutral near his torso, and down near his legs) B causes a stream of fire from the Mecha’s mouth, and B forward sends out a slow moving bullet bill. These projectiles are fairly easy to dodge, but are very powerful. It lasts about as long as Giga Bowser.
pretty good but i would like to see a shadow mario transform in there

Stryks

Smash Hero
Wow that bowser jr looks as realistic as bowser, in the way the scaes and hair look I mean... seriously If somebody would have sended that trough email at 2 am I would have believed it... before checking the site XD...

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Jr. could be an interesting character. But I would feel really odd seeing both him and his Dad being playable in Brawl.

I don't know, maybe its just me. The idea of Bowser and his son fighting each other just doesn't work for me for some reason. It would be Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Jr. right? That list just feels odd....

I would like to see Petey in this game actually, but even then that might be stretching it. So I really would be fine to just see only the Melee four, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser.

krackizwak

Smash Cadet
Bowser Jr would be great for this game cause he represents the newest mario games and he just is a very intresting character that could easily have a fantastic move set. To the sandman i dont see why it would be weird to have him in, you have mario fighting peach and yoshi having bowser and Bowser jr doesnt seems weird if fights like those happen all the time.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I really like the idea of the Shadow Mario/Bowser Jr. idea. I would actually prefer just Shadow Mario, but that is unlikely, therefore I'm all for Bowser Jr. I don;t care if he replaced Bowser's other children.

Bowser Jr. for Brawl

Stryks

Smash Hero
Jr. could be an interesting character. But I would feel really odd seeing both him and his Dad being playable in Brawl.

I don't know, maybe its just me. The idea of Bowser and his son fighting each other just doesn't work for me for some reason. It would be Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Jr. right? That list just feels odd....

I would like to see Petey in this game actually, but even then that might be stretching it. So I really would be fine to just see only the Melee four, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser.
WTF? If peach can fight mario, if zelda can woop Links ***, if mario can take on his brother, and if krystal (if shes in brawl, likely will be) can fight off fox, then bowser can fight his son and duke it out in brawl...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Anyone worried B Jr. might get the boss boot. I'm personally not, but thats just my opinion. Discuss!
Quite frankly, I'm not that worried, seeing as I'm not to interested in the characters as I am with other characters.

Still, either was might be good for some people.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I doubt bowser jr will be a boss, I mean he doesnt have the strength or the status to become a boss in the battle of all stars, and 2 mario characters as bosses? fail IMO...

anyway I rather like him playable, with his brush and all, i would actualyl play as him, since I like the little guy XD

krackizwak

Smash Cadet
Bowser jr i think is safe from the becoming a Boss ( if he is in,hopefully). I think Majority of boss character a gonna be huge imposing characters that just kinda feel intimedating. Look at Petey, He is HUGE and just screams Power and is a boss character that has appeared many times in mario games but isnt a fleshed out character like Jr.

Stryks

Smash Hero
How is Jr intimedating? Hes a small some-what cute version of bowser...

anyway bowser jr has had mutliple main villain roles, he deserves to be playable...

jambre

Smash Apprentice
How is Jr intimedating? Hes a small some-what cute version of bowser...

anyway bowser jr has had mutliple main villain roles, he deserves to be playable...
he said that he WASNT intimedating

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I would like him to be playable actually also. I do feel bad for Bowsers other children. but they were all ugly and looked nothing like bowser lol. but seriosly I think jr would fit fine in brawl. I know we will be getting at least one new Mario character.

GangstaLink

Smash Rookie
bowser jr. should be in brawl cuz if u where beng bowser on a team fight bowser and bowser jr. would make a great team.And WindWakerLink should be in brawl too

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
New Moveset to Chew On

I had some ideas for Bowser Jr, so I decided to work on a moveset. After a lot of work, I think it came out pretty good.

NOTE: As far as scales go, I will use *s. * is low and ***** is high, with + and - denoting half stars.

First off, an intro...

Bowser Jr. has been a rising character in the Mario series, with his lead role in two games (Super Mario Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros.) as well as appearances in almost all of the sports titles that have been coming out. To top it off, Mario Galaxy, the platformer sequel to Super Mario Sunshine, will likely feature Bowser Jr. as well.

As far as his moveset goes, his appearance in Sunshine, the boss fights in New Super Mario Bros., and moves from the sports games give Bowser Jr. plenty of variety and uniqueness for him to utilize on the battlefield. This would give him plenty of room to distinguish himself from Bowser as his own character.

Speed: **

Many people think that due to Bowser Jr.'s small size and seemingly light appearance, he would fit the bill as a fast character. This is not the case. If you look at his appearances in the sports titles, you will notice that he is usually a power based character with movement on the lower side. Despite this, he is still smaller in stature and will be on the medium side of the speed scale.

Agility: ***+

He may not be a great mover, but he can still perform attacks with surprising speed, which will allow him to be a "heavy" style character, but should balance him out in his ability to compete with the faster characters. While he does have plenty of quick attacks, he includes laggy, powerful ones as well.

Weight: **+

He is small, but a compact character. Don't forget that he is Bowser's son, so he still packs plenty of girth despite his size. This puts him right around the middle in weight, being slightly lighter than Mario. He packs moderate traction.

Jump: ***+

Bowser Jr. has a normal amount of jumps. He is not floaty, but not a fastfaller either. His power allows him to still have decent jumping ability, but nothing spectacular. Bowser Jr. should fall in the middle as far as recovery goes.

Power: ***+

He can still pack some punch. The son of the Koopa King definitely inhereted a lot of his father's natural strength, but he is not fully grown yet, so he doesn't have enough power to compete with the big-hitters like DK, Bowser, and Ganondorf.

Style:

Bowser Jr. has an aggressive style when he comes to battling. However, his size limits his range, so he relies on use of tools and craftiness to extend his range or manipulate the foe into range. He should have decent ability to combo opponents once he gets started, and has a few strong finishing attacks and good edguarding. Good Bowser Jr. players will likely have to rely on trickery and good spacing in order to be effective, as well as using the tools at Bowser Jr.'s disposal. (i.e. Paint Brush, Fireballs, etc.)

Onto the moveset...

A Attacks

Bowser Jr.'s basic A attacks are the basis of combo starters and tend to be faster, but provide some other utility as well.

Neutral A: Head butt
Description: Bowser Jr. leans forward and head butts the foe.
Starting Lag: *
Ending Lag: *
Knockback: *-
Damage: 1-3%
Notes:
-Similiar to Pikachu's Neutral A, spammable

Dash A: Shell Slide
Description: Bowser Jr. withdrawals into his shell and slides a short distance
Ending Lag: ***+
Knockback: **+ (diagonally upward)
Damage: 7-13%
Notes:
-This attack originates from New Super Mario Bros., strong, but with most dash attacks, it is easily punishable if missed

F Tilt: Swipe
Description: Bowser Jr. reaches out a little and swings with his claw
Starting Lag: *+
Knockback: * (horizontal)
Damage: 4-7%
Notes:
-Slightly slower than neutral A, good for racking up some damage during a combo

U Tilt: Brush Twirl
Description: Bowser Jr. twirls his paintbrush in the air (think ICs U tilt)
Ending Lag: **
Knockback: **+ (upward)
Damage: 5-10%
Notes:
-Sweetspot at brush tip, good for starting an aerial combo/juggling, disjointed hitbox

D Tilt: Hair Sweep
Description: Bowser Jr. leans down and sweeps the area in front of him with his ponytail
Starting Lag: ***
Ending Lag: *+
Knockback: *- (causes knockdown)
Damage: 7-11%
Notes:
-Spikes opponents if they don't hit ground, laggier but stronger tilt

Smashes

The smashes provide Bowser Jr. with some stronger finishing options, but are very difficult to use during a combo.

F Smash: Goop Slap
Description: Bowser Jr. pulls out his brush and swings horizontally
Starting Lag: **+
Knockback: *** (horizontal and upward)
Damage: 8-19%
Notes:
-Good knockback at sweetspot (brush tip), disjointed hitbox

U Smash: Flame Burst
Description: Bowser Jr. looks up and spits a ball of fire that explodes right above his head.
Starting Lag: ****
Knockback: ****
Damage: 9-20% (upward with sideways tilt depending on location of hit)
Notes:
-Charging slightly increases size of explosion the more you charge, good finisher, sweetspot at center of explosion, disjointed hitbox

D Smash: Goop Wave
Description: Bowser Jr. hops and slams his brush into the ground, spraying paint on both sides
Starting Lag: *** or ***+
Knockback: **+ (primarily horizontal)
Damage: 9-16%
Notes:
-Charging slightly increases the size of the spray the more you charge

Aerials

Bowser Jr.'s aerials provide all sorts of options from damage to finishers, to combos. These are where he tends to have some similarities to his father.

N Air: Shell Spin
Description: Bowser Jr. withdrawals into his shell and spins twice
Knockback: ** (direction varies by where they hit the shell)
Damage: 7-12%
Notes:
-Similar to Bowser's N Air

F Air: Koopa Fist
Description: Bowser Jr. pulls his claw back and swipes, but the swing is so hard he tumbles a bit afterward
Starting Lag: ***
Ending Lag: ****
Knockback: **** (horizontal w/ a very slight downward direction)
Damage: 7-15%
Notes:
-An extremely powerful move like "the slap" (see Sheik), but high lag makes it far less broken and abusable, especially if missed

B Air: Spike Stretch
Description: Bowser Jr. pushes his shell out, turning his shell into a hitbox
Knockback: *+ (horizontal, some stun)
Damage: 4-11%
Notes:
-Same as Bowser's B Air, just slightly faster and weaker, L Cancel greatly reduces ending lag

U Air: Brush Rainbow
Description: Bowser Jr. pulls out his brush and sweeps upward in an arc
Knockback: *+ (upward)
Damage: 3-9%
Notes:
-Strongest at tip, weak but fast, longer attack duration, helps with juggling/aerial combos

D Air: Flame Jet
Description: Bowser Jr. looks down (facing screen) and sprays a pillar of fire down
Starting Lag: **
Ending Lag: ***+
Damage: 2-3% per hit
Notes:
-Capable of multiple hits, L cancel helps reduce ending lag, slows falling speed during attack

Grabs

His grabs are difficult to use due to his generally short range, but they can punish foes severely if you do manage to grab them. I really like the creativity on a few of these and they are very flavorful.

Z: Snatch
Description: Bowser Jr. reaches a little and grabs the opponent
Starting Lag: * (standing) or **+ (running)
Notes:
-Very quick, but very small range due his Bowser Jr.'s short limbs

Forward: Scorch
Description: Bowser Jr. explodes a fireball on the foe, blowing them backward
Starting Lag: n/a
Ending Lag: ***
Knockback: *** (diagonally upward)
Damage: 6-11%
Notes:
-Powerful, but not capable of chain grabbing and hard to follow with combos

Backward: Hurl
Description: Bowser Jr. falls backward while throwing the opponent behind him
Ending Lag: n/a (see notes)
Knockback: **+ (horizontal)
Damage: 5-10%
Notes:
-Leaves Bowser Jr. in the knocked down position, you may press a direction to roll, this allows Bowser Jr. to chase the opponent after the throw

Upward: Skull Toss
Description: Bowser Jr. puts his head down and head butts the foe into the air
Knockback: **
Damage 3-7%
Notes:
-Good for starting combos, also capable of using to chain grab

Downward: Tantrum
Description: Bowser Jr. throws the opponent on the ground and has a fit on top of them.
Ending Lag: **+
Knockback: * (upward)
Damage: 1-3% per hit
Notes:
-5 hits, causes knockdown

Specials

Specials are always the defining flavor parts of the moveset, and I really think this set is good. They also provide a lot of utility and are useful, not just flashy.

Neutral B: Fireball
Description: Bowser Jr. spits a fireball that travels horizontally
Starting Lag: **+
Ending Lag: **+
Knockback: * (some stun)
Damage: 8-11%
Notes:
-Travels at similar speed to Samus's missles, fire stun

Left/Right B Goop Slide

(on ground)
Description: Bowser Jr. puts his brush on the ground (tip down) and slides on it
Ending Lag: ** or ****+ (see notes)
Knockback: ** (upward)
Damage: 6-13%
Notes:
-Slides about distance of Raptor Boost (Captain Falcon Side B), if missed, the brush slides and Bowser Jr. falls of, leaving goop behind that reduces traction, fast and strong, but very punishable if missed

(in air)
Description: Bowser Jr. pulls out the brush and spins (think Kirby's Hammer in air)
Starting Lag: *+
Damage: 2-3% per hit
Notes:
-Capable of up to 5 hits, spins provides some horizontal boost with a slight upward arc for recovery, but not too much

Up B: Bullet Bill
Description: A bullet bill appears and Bowser Jr. rides it some distance
Knockback: ***+ (direction bullet bill is traveling)
Damage: 8-14%
Notes:
-Stronger recovery move, but not very fast and predictable, aimable

Down B: Sonic Roar!
Description: Bowser Jr. faces the screen and roars, sending out sound waves and knocking him over
Knockback: **+
Damage: 8-12%
Notes: Move originated from Mario Strikers Charged, Jigglypuff song size for sound waves, opponents hit are reduced in size by about 25% for 10 sec. which slightly reduces their weight and power, another punishable move if missed

Final Smash: Mecha Bowser
Description: Bowser Jr. hops into the background where Mecha Bowser has appeared, a target appears on the screen which you may move around to try and torch foes with fire breath

What do you guys think? Comments and feedback are welcome.

EDIT: Read Stryks' post below for some good alternate specials as well.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Not bad, I agree that Bowser jr should be balanced, seeing how hes small but is bowsers son thus heavy...

anyway I didnt agree mush wit the specials:

The upb should be brush copter, spins the brush, gaining altitude, the brush sends out little drops of paint, this paint will protect him from horizontal attacks, but if per say spiked from above, he'll be helpless...

B should be a goop ball, sending a goopball that bounces, but aftera while explodes, anyone hit by the paint will be damage, and as a result the floor wil lbe slippy for some time...

the rest I agree on, especially final smash!

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
No Shadow Mario transformation
Not a Bowser clone(with that brush, how can he be?)
He really does deserve to be in it. I don't like the "fangs" bandana, but I don't think he could wear the shadow mario one.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
If there is a new Mario character, it will be Geno. Not this peice of **** that the lazy designers of Sunshine call a character.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Lazy? have you seen waluigi lately? jr is actually unique in comparison, and it doesnt matter how the character looks, but the actual roles he takes in his games, and bowser jr is one of the best out there in the mario series...

T-major

Smash Champion
Bowser jr. is probably my top wanted Mario character (if you don't count Geno as a Mario character, waht with him technically being 3rd party). however, this pretty much only applies if his Magic Paintbrush is his main weapon. that would offer the most originality, and would just plain be an awesome weapon in my opinion.

that being said, I don't think every move should rely on the paintbrush. he could use head-butts and quick jabs and kicks in some of his A moves. and a B move could include the shell dash he used in New Super Mario Bros. (but changed a little to make it different from Squirtle's Side B). but I think most of his moves should use the Brush, which would also make room for conceptual moves.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
How can you hurt people by painting them? That would be a really crappy method of attacking. BJ is just a younger form of Bowser. Oh crap! They already have that! Baby Bowser. Real original, Nintendo. And he turns into "Dark Mario." How uncreative can they get? A miniture form of the main villain who turns into a "dark" version of the hero. Can you say generic? Bowser Jr. Sucks. He wasn't on the poll. Clearly nobody gives a **** about him. He will be an AT at best. He has no chance to be playable. Sakurai doesn't like lame characters. He has the same chances as Waluigi. Waluigi is more original. At least he looks different than the other characters in the franchise. Bowser Jr. is basically a recylcled version of Baby Bowser from Yoshi's Island. AKA LAME

T-major

Smash Champion
How can you hurt people by painting them?
you can if it's a magic paint! :D

That would be a really crappy method of attacking.
I think it's an awesome way of attacking. in fact it's pretty much the main reason I support him.

BJ is just a younger form of Bowser.
no. he's the son of Bowser, which is completely different... would you say that I'm just a younger version of my Dad? no, you wouldn't. because we act nothing alike, despite that fact that we look VERY similar. same With Bowser jr and Bowser. they act quite different from each other.

Can you say generic?
no. but I can say "Bowser jr. for brawl".

Sakurai doesn't like lame characters.
no, but he loves original characters. Bowser jr. is very original. so weather you like it or not, your going to have to deal with the fact that he has a huge chance of being in brawl...

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Not bad, I agree that Bowser jr should be balanced, seeing how hes small but is bowsers son thus heavy...

anyway I didnt agree mush wit the specials:

The upb should be brush copter, spins the brush, gaining altitude, the brush sends out little drops of paint, this paint will protect him from horizontal attacks, but if per say spiked from above, he'll be helpless...

B should be a goop ball, sending a goopball that bounces, but aftera while explodes, anyone hit by the paint will be damage, and as a result the floor wil lbe slippy for some time...

the rest I agree on, especially final smash!
I like your special ideas, but I feel that it makes Bowser Jr. too heavily reliant on the paintbrush and gives him a one sided feel. I was trying to vary his abilities from games.

Fireball: not really in a game, but it should be assumed that he has inherited the ability to spit fire from Bowser himself, I was just trying to add a different twist when you look at Bowser and Charizard.

Brush Slide: uses the brush from Sunshine

Bullet Bill: the final fight in sunshine Bowser Jr. fires bullet bills from a cannon in order to try and defeat Mario.

Sonic Roar!: Super Mario Strikers, showing his sports influence

However, that said, I agree the Brush is the biggest part of his personality, and would fully support Brush Copter as an Up B to reflect that. I still think the Neutral B should be fireball though.

Thanks for the response.

T-major

Smash Champion
OMG GUYS!!! Bowser jr. is in brawl!! and we have a picture of his Brawl look to prove it!!

........ no. I lied. sorry, it's not offical, this picture is just fan made; VERY well, I might add! (original is here so you know who acually made it.) very convincing if I do say so myself.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Bowser Jr. is not an original character at all. The Koopalings from Mario World were WAY more original. Bowser Jr. will never be as good as they were.

Pokebrawl

Smash Journeyman
First off, an intro...

Bowser Jr. has been a rising character in the Mario series, with his lead role in two games (Super Mario Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros.) as well as appearances in almost all of the sports titles that have been coming out. To top it off, Mario Galaxy, the platformer sequel to Super Mario Sunshine, will likely feature Bowser Jr. as well.
Loved how you topped it off with a role he will probably play ; D.

How can you hurt people by painting them? That would be a really crappy method of attacking. BJ is just a younger form of Bowser. Oh crap! They already have that! Baby Bowser. Real original, Nintendo. And he turns into "Dark Mario." How uncreative can they get? A miniture form of the main villain who turns into a "dark" version of the hero. Can you say generic? Bowser Jr. Sucks. He wasn't on the poll. Clearly nobody gives a **** about him. He will be an AT at best. He has no chance to be playable. Sakurai doesn't like lame characters. He has the same chances as Waluigi. Waluigi is more original. At least he looks different than the other characters in the franchise. Bowser Jr. is basically a recylcled version of Baby Bowser from Yoshi's Island. AKA LAME
Spoken by a true noob.

Bowser Jr., though he may look like Bowser, is totally different. HE USES A MAGIC PAINTBRUSH!

If your gonna start a flame, get your info straight. Shadow Mario, not Dark Mario, was a transformation of BJR to trick mario in Mario Sunshine, and does not use this ability ever again, so he doesn't have to transform into him.

Baby Bowser and Bjr. are totally different. Baby Bowser is they younger form of Bowser, therefore would be a clone. Jr., on the other hand, is the Koopa Prince, son of Bowser.

Waluigi more orirgnal? Please. BJR is a key boss in many Mainstay Mario games. Waluigi has never seen the light of day that is a main Mario game. Go figure.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Bowser jr is alot better with Shadow Mario, he use the paint brush as Shadow Mario and use his other attacks as Bowser jr, am I right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom