• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. players, I implore you to learn side-b 2.

Rynhardt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rynhardt
3DS FC
3437-3326-8257
Now this isn't quite a full guide yet, but I am just super excited to talk about this move because I feel like it completely changes Koopalings' game, and wanted to inform people as soon as possible about my findings. I've uploaded an unlisted video with some clips for reference to the information below with a few unreferenced clips as well showing off the move in general, I may end up using these clips in a larger video tutorial.

Pros:
-Same rules apply. Spinning out allows you to use it again but jump canceling eats all of your jumps and prevents the use of the special again.
-Can still do everything you would do with the standard special. You can still combo out of the jump, drive past your opponents to jump and bair, etc.
-DESTROYS roll spammers, side dodging.
-Extremely safe, hitboxes are huge and last for a long time.
-Super safe and long horizontal recovery, frisbeeing will launch you from the blast zone back to nearly the middle of the stage.
-The drift has high priority and will clash with most attacks, even smashes. Completely clashes out DHD's clay pigeon. Completely beats Rosalina's Luma Launch when drifted through (timing is very specific).
-The shorter hop allows for better neutral game.
-So many inputs you feel like you're playing FRIGGIN Melee
-Super trolly.

Cons:
-You lose the kill drift, which isn't the biggest deal since I find it rarely kills.
-Your jump cancel doesn't go as high, making it a little worse for vertical recovery unless frisbeeing.
-Getting used to the move takes a bit of practice and you are likely to SD a few times along the way.

--Tech and Uses--

Frisbee: Spinning out the side-b immediately when airborn. This gives you a little more upward movement AND allows you to land with no lag but a lot of slide. This is probably one of the best parts about this move. As soon as you begin the special, buffer the reverse direction on the d-pad to frisbee. You should be able to do it just by mashing B but I find that it may be inconsistent this way. You can frisbee from standing, if you begin your side-b IMMEDIATELY after jumping and then drift, it will appear as if you frisbee'd from the ground (as seen at 2:58)

Frisbeeing allows for easy true combos in to smash attacks. At the end of the segment at 2:37, I frisbee in to my opponent immediately in to an up-smash. At 1:33, I combo the frisbee in to up-air.

You can still combo without frisbeeing but it's much harder. At 1:37, I combo grounded koopa drift in to f-air. At 1:45, I edge-guard and then string it into itself, running over my opponent for a standard jump cancel nair combo.

Frisbee stalling: You can also use frisbeeing to stall since spinning out doesn't use any jumps or prevent the use of the special again. At 00:00, I use frisbee-stalling to delay my landing and make my landing less predictable. The input is the same, but once you've buffered the reverse direction, buffer the special as well (you don't have to reset to neutral, of course).

Drop drifting: Midair drift but not immediate, meaning you drop instead of gaining height. Make sure to mix this in to your mixup to make your koopa drift path harder to predict. At 2:58, I frisbee in to my opponent off the stage, he clearly tries to read my frisbee back on but my mixed in drop drift catches him instead.

Kart Dancing: Hopping back and forth with your jump thereby canceling koopa drift, making you and your mixup harder to read, and can be steered midair. I Kart Dance in both directions at 00:18 on the ground. This can also be done after a short hop, more inputs but even harder to read at 00:39. At 3:07 you can see me using Kart Dancing to mix in my approach. Be careful not to cancel in to a drift when steering backwards. Short hop kart dancing effectively requires a lot of careful inputs.

--General Info--

Be extremely careful when koopa drifting off the stage. It is possible to koopa drift off and back on with frisbeeing so long as you do it over the stage (as seen at 00:12), a single step off and you'll SD in the blast zone (Yes, the range is THAT long). You can also recover from under the stage if you drop drift from the blast zone and up-b (at 00:18)

Also be careful not to spin out too early when koopa drifting on the ground. At 1:05 you can see me getting punished for drifting too soon. Make sure not to koopa drift to an opponent on the edge of the stage. You are very easy to punish if you drift a shielding opponent standing on the edge. You can see me get punished for this at 2:10. The move is typically very safe otherwise. At 2:37 you can see me drifting over my opponent constantly for being in the middle of the stage. In dittos especially the move is difficult to punish.

The hitboxes are huge and last for a very long time. Only the end of the move launches, every tick before is just hit-stun. At 00:48 you can see the large hitboxes being used to edge guard. In dittos, you can use the hit-stun to prevent recovery after up-b. At 1:25, 1:45, and 3:51 you can see just how large the hitbox is and how long it lasts. It's almost as if Larry's attacking with his hair :p

The move can be used to cross under most stages, unfortunately I don't have any clips of this yet but as long as you save your second jump, you can frisbee twice in the same direction from the right side of FD past the underside of the left side, use your second jump to jump back towards it and up-b back up. There are a few different ways to do it but this is probably the easiest and safest.

In the video I'm running 1211 but now prefer 1212, the impatient mechakoopa proving to be very useful especially while kart dancing and has much less lag (also punishes opponents for picking it up!), but either one works. Also after frisbeeing in to a landing, immediately following up with an Impatient Mechakoopa bounces you off the stage and gives you your jumps and Koopa Drift back, surprisingly safe and useful way to throw out projectiles and making you untouchable. I would swap the clown cannon for piercing cannon against Rosalina. The reason I use Abandon Ship over Meteor Ejection is to cover Koopa Drift's weaker vertical recovery.

I'll try to compile a larger-scale tutorial video as well as matches highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the custom set but really wanted to get my thoughts and tips out on this move ASAP. I'm super excited to talk about this custom which I feel changes Koopalings' game entirely, so I'll be sticking around to discuss tips, clips, and information anyone else may want to share.

EDIT:

Added a one-take video showing off:

1. The bouncing impatient mechakoopas. Dropping them while grounded will not bounce them. Hopping and dropping them at the same time will also not bounce them. But hopping, waiting maybe two frames and then dropping it will bounce them. Not the biggest deal but thought I'd show it.

2. Bouncing frisbee. After frisbeeing and landing, immediately reverse-b your Impatient Mechakoopa (don't have to reverse it, but very little value in throwing it away). This causes you to go airborn again without affecting your air speed, and since you're still technically sliding, you'll just slide off the stage, retreating while throwing a projectile. This can be done at any point in the stage (not just the ledge) as long as you frisbee'd.

3. Going under the stage. Make sure not to use your second jump, spam frisbee in one direction in to the underside of the stage. Once past the flat bottomside, you can jump and up-b to slide up to the ledge. Strongly suggest practicing this if you intend to play with it, very easy to mess this up. With enough practice, it's possible to do this with one frisbee.

Last edited:

Orsone

Smash Rookie
NNID
OrsettoBruno
3DS FC
4554-0307-2270
I don't actually like the 2nd side special. Yes, it has this gimmick but it's kinda situational: you have to hit with the last few hits of the hitbox to position your opponent to follow up with something, otherwise he gets knocked too far away. The damage output is not that great: let's suppose you hit with the last 2 hits of the drift and follow up with usmash, it's 17%. With sideB 1, hit + fair is 18% and is guaranteed to hit at lower percents.
To do a follow up with the drift you should jump+sideB+drift and hit at the end of it, so if the opponent isn't braindead he sees it start and could punish you, even if the move is safe when you hit the ground you're vulnerable for some frames.
Btw I think that this custom has its uses, which you explained quite exhaustively, it's only I don't find it very exploitable compared to sideB 1.

Unholy_Moly

Smash Rookie
NNID
magnetpull
3DS FC
2852-7757-3136
Preach! I've been using Bowser Jr. with the Side-B 2 and it disrupts roll spamming so well. I've also found that it's a lot easier to recover horizontally with Side-B 2 than with Side-Bs 1 & 3.

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
This is an amazing breakdown, Rynhardt. Putting together a Drift Kart build right now. Can't wait to try him out.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I think this move has potential. Just... we need someone to practice enough with it that they can crush people in tournaments with it.. Because once someone does this, we will see a lot more attention being paid to Koopa drift and likely develop his metagame further.
*gets to practicing*

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I haven't played a tourney with customs ON yet. But this indeed looks promising against ppl that you can't get in on.

I rather have MK running around and then drift to add more pressure.

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
I wish Jr's customs weren't garbage :( . Both side B 2 and giant mechakoopa are interesting for sure, but interesting doesn't make them better than their defaults. I wish Jr. had customs that were straight upgrades like other characters have (like dk's wind cyclone and sonic's burying spin). Cannonball is a special that is in need of a custom upgrade but its custom options are terrible.

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I wish Jr's customs weren't garbage :( . Both side B 2 and giant mechakoopa are interesting for sure, but interesting doesn't make them better than their defaults. I wish Jr. had customs that were straight upgrades like other characters have (like dk's wind cyclone and sonic's burying spin). Cannonball is a special that is in need of a custom upgrade but its custom options are terrible.
The air cannon is pretty much better than the normal cannonball... at least for edgeguarding.
I just wish it had less startup/end lag to make it easier to use...

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
The air cannon is pretty much better than the normal cannonball... at least for edgeguarding.
I just wish it had less startup/end lag to make it easier to use...

Yea wind cannon may have slightly more use than normal cannonball, But it's lag like you said still make it pretty darn unusable. The situational use of ANY of the cannonball customs are few and far between unfortunately.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yes and his side B jump is shorter so you can only connect a fair at low %.
This side B is more of a hit and run gimmick rather than setting up combos.
Mehhhhhh.

If hitting with this kart custom doesn't allow me to set up uair strings or abandon ship kills I can't see myself possibly being compelled to use it.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Yea wind cannon may have slightly more use than normal cannonball, But it's lag like you said still make it pretty darn unusable. The situational use of ANY of the cannonball customs are few and far between unfortunately.
Ledge cancelling helps... a little. >.> You won't be hitting anybody recovering low anyway...

TheBardlyBard

Smash Cadet
i found out that if you use the big mechakoopa and they sheild it, it will do sheild damage, enough so that when you drift with side b immediately after it will sheild poke.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
i found out that if you use the big mechakoopa and they sheild it, it will do sheild damage, enough so that when you drift with side b immediately after it will sheild poke.
Someone previously mentioned something similar, except they held the big mechakoopa while spinnning out with Koopa drift. The explosion doesn't affect you in that case for some reason, and you don't have to recatch it or anything for it to be safe.
However, holding the big mechakoopa makes it very predictable what you will likely do next, and at top level play we have to worry about the mechakoopa being caught by our opponent and sent back at us...

Top Bottom