• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser, Grab release thread [Flayl is a boss]

eboz74

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I think the average Smasher isn't really paying a lot of attention to Bowser's tricky grab game, and that can lead to some nice mayhem. Even so, I find that it's occasionally difficult to force a ground release. If people mash consistently during the pummel, it's pretty easy, but if they get tricky and ease up a little, it throws me off.
agree it is all in the timing

MrEh

Smash Hero
Eh... Bowser doing well against Wario is almost totally dependent on getting a grab
No it's not.

Bowser does ok against Wario even without the grab release shenanigans. The grab releases are just icing on the cake. ^^

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
So many things to do when releasing Wario... but Wario is very hard to grab in Bowser's downside. That's whats ironic.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I wonder, too. Vex has promised an update by the end of December... now it's almost end of April. =/

Not to press you or something, Vex, but is the data to be expected soon?

B!squick

Smash Master
Yo, Vex, I know you have/had schoolings, laziness, and other such things preventing you from updating, but come on man. D: I have lots of free time, so if you'd like to divulge how exactly you went about finding out your GR data I can do it myself. I'm thinking I could just slow the game to 1/4 speed and mash jump on a second controler for jump releases. The only problem is I can't account for DI with this method. Maybe if I use my other foot to hold the control stick away...

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Yay! Also, may I suggest testing Dash, Standing, and Pivot regrabs?
I tried doing pivot regrabs on wario(running under him on the other side regrab) but it doesnt work, like if bowser was free to move from a grab release on like 17 instead of 20 he could probably do it. But yah I'll make sure to try everything.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
I tried doing pivot regrabs on wario(running under him on the other side regrab) but it doesnt work, like if bowser was free to move from a grab release on like 17 instead of 20 he could probably do it. But yah I'll make sure to try everything.
A pivot regrab is actually just a standing instant pivot, not an actual dash>pivot. Just press back and immediately z and forward.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
This is probably going to sound rediculous but I think i found a good way to avoid jump releases, but just so you know I don't really know much about the grab mechanics and I am probably about to make a fool of myself.

I find that it is alot easier to grab jab faster and more effectively by pressing A and Z alternately. I haven't seen a computer jump out of it before and I don't really know how to test it fully (another person would help, which i don't have) so yeah.

Maybe something to look into, I dunno.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure down-B works off of a ground release on those characters? When Bowser ground releases, on most opponents (i.e. not Ness, Lucas, or DK), he has a 10-frame advantage. All shields activate on frame 1. According to 3GOD's "in-depth and accurate" frame data thread, Bowser's down-B first hits on frame 11. Unless something's wrong with the frame data, those characters listed (except for Ness and Lucas) should be able to PS it.

NNID
Budget_Player
Ah. I see.

I gotta try a few things out. Momentarily, my bowser game is pretty decent failing approximately two things. Grab release game is missing, and I use too much dair. >.<

And how do you do a pivot grab against an opponent who isn't behind you?

B!squick

Smash Master
I mean, it's a pivot grab. If they're on the opposite side you want to grab just add an extra pivot. I can't do it though, so don't feel bad.

Dementophobic

Smash Rookie
About those air release Fairs, are they unavoidable?I can't seem to ever land a Fair after an air release :/

Top Bottom