• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Dash Attack Cancelled Grab

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
This is a very useful technique because it increases Bowser's dash grab range, gives it a little bit of armor on the startup, and it is also really easy to do. All you have to do is initiate a dash attack and input a grab within 2 frames of the startup. You can do this either by holding the A button after initiating the dash attack and then pressing the shield button to do the dash grab, or you can press the A button and then the Z button to grab. Remember the grab has to be initiated within 2 frames of the dash attack or else the entire dash attack will go through instead of cancelling into the grab. As many of you probably already know, Bowser's dash attack has armor on the first frames, so this technique can yield up to 2 frames of armor, not to mention that it slightly extends Bowser's dash grab range. You can tell if you did it correctly if you see Bowser flash red right before the dash grab. If you find it difficult to spot, then the blue flash of armor in debug mode can help you make sure you are doing it right. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
I've done boost grabbing a whole bunch with Bowser, and it does feel like the range improves dramatically. Fantastic for d throw techchases.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
It doesn't in Melee.
I was thinking of Sheik's melee boost grab at the time, but it hadn't even occurred to me that Bowser's might not work the same way. O.o

Thanks!

Does the boost grab get a benefit now? I'll probably boot up debug mode at some point today and check, but if you happen to notice this before then, I'd appreciate being spared the effort. ^^

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Boost Grab is always at least a frame slower than JC grab, even for Sheik.

Frost | Odds

Yeah, but the 3 frame difference between Bowser's dash grab and his standing grab is generally insignificant compared to the enormous range boost he gets for the former -- iirc, Bowser's the only character for whom it's usually better to simply dash grab than to JC grab.

I'm wondering if Bowser's boost grab in PM provides additional utility on top of the dash grab in a similar fashion to Sheik's in melee, or if it just adds superfluous time to the startup. If you're not sure, I'mma test as soon as I need to wait for my code to run again.

You pull an all nighter too? Jesus.

EDIT: doesn't look to me like it grants any extra range. It's pretty difficult to tell, and I'm not too familiar with debug mode yet.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Right, I'm not arguing that boost grab doesn't have applications, I just took issue with your statement:
Anyone know if boost grabbing makes the hitboxes go out in front of you earlier, like in Melee?
The grab does not come out faster when boost grabbing and never has with any character.

Frost | Odds

Hmm, I was told that (for Sheik's boost grab specifically) it didn't make the hitboxes appear earlier, but that it made them travel horizontally a frame or two faster than her animation.

Apologies for the poor wording.

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I was told that (for Sheik's boost grab specifically) it didn't make the hitboxes appear earlier, but that it made them travel horizontally a frame or two faster than her animation.

Apologies for the poor wording.
I did bowser's boost grab frame by frame in debug mode on the training room stage, and by using the lines on the ground to compare the distance the normal dash grab box travels to the boost grab box, I can see that the boost grab travels a little bit farther.
Wait wait, Bowser has a meaningful boost grab? I'd love to see exactly how much (if any) distance he gets.
I did Bowser's boost grab frame by frame in debug mode on the training room stage, and by using the lines on the ground to compare the distance the normal dash grab box travels to the boost grab box, I can see that the boost grab travels a little bit farther. Sorry I don't have any recording equipment to make a video, and if I used a normal camera, you probably would not be able to tell the difference in distance because of the bad quality.

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
Odds_, Sorry about the extra reply to your post about Shiek's boost grab, I only meant to reply to the one about the distance that Bowser gains on the boost grab.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
It might be placebo, but it feels like it has around 15-20% increased range on the boost grab. It definitely feels like it latches sooner; like he is jumping forward a tiny bit while he's falling.

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, to me it sometimes looks like he slides a bit more after he gets the grab early.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Can someone confirm the 2 frames of Dash Attack armor at the start of the technique before initiating grab? That would give it a bit of utility wouldn't it?

Frost | Odds

@ Mr. Bones Mr. Bones it's conceivable, but that's a helluva tight window to try to 'counter' someone in.

edit: yes, you can get 1 or 2 frames of armor in there. not 3 though.

why aren't you in the bowser skype

Last edited:

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
@ Mr. Bones Mr. Bones it's conceivable, but that's a helluva tight window to try to 'counter' someone in.
I'm used to squeezing into tight openings.

/zing

why aren't you in the bowser skype
I think the true question here is...why don't I have Skype in the first place? Probably because I've been too lazy to download it until now.

Top Bottom