• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser and Charizard comparison, and what I find to be an inconsistency in the general consensus.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
From my observation, it appears that according to the general consensus, Bowser is a top tier character while Charizard is low tier at best. As a player with a 78.41% win ratio in For Glory 1-on-1, who mains both Bowser and Charizard in this game and has used both of the aforementioned characters extensively (in Bowser's case, I have been using him ever since the launch of SSBB), this notion confuses me to no end. From my extensive experience using both characters, I find that Charizard is basically Bowser with (in order of importance):

1. A highly reliable, probably the single best KO move in the game, Flare Blitz (seriously, Charizard's Flare Blitz is to this game as Captain Falcon's Knee of Justice was to SSBM). Meanwhile, against a good player, the only moves of Bowser that can KO at a reasonable % that can consistently hit a good player are Fair, Bair and Usmash, all of which are still, from my experience, significantly more difficult to land than Flare Blitz (yes, I am aware that Flare Blitz is probably the single most punishable move in the game on shield, as a blocked Flare Blitz guarantees that Charizard is punished by a dash attack from any character... but still, an easily punished KO move is better than a KO move that cannot consistently hit in the first place)
2. The ability to actually deal with projectile campers, especially on Final Destination and Omega stages. This is because Charizard can use Flare Blitz to punish or at the very least close its distance from characters who sit back and spam projectiles, whereas Bowser, in comparison, has a much more difficult time dealing with projectile campers from my experience, especially Duck Hunt Duo, Robin, and Diddy Kong, as he can neither close his distance from the projectile camper nor outright go through those projectiles anywhere near as easily as Charizard can.
3. A jab that comes out much faster
4. A very consistently safe aerial attack, its Neutral Air, which is also a great method of approaching. Nair to jab is also a solid combo
5. Better recovery in the form of Flare Blitz
6. A faster and longer-ranged grab, giving it one of the best shieldgrabs in the game
7. Far better range in its Down Smash, giving it an easier time punishing rolls
8. A higher dash Speed, making it a better punisher

And what it lacks compared to Bowser are (in order of importance):

1. The lack of Whirling Fortress, meaning it cannot out-of-shield punish opponents behind it (its faster and longer-ranged grab somewhat makes up for this disadvantage in terms of Charizard's overall out-of-shield game though)
2. Its attacks in general don't deal as much damage as Bowser's
3. The lack of Bowsercide
4. A weaker Forward Air which also has an overall significantly worse hitbox than Bowser's
5. A much slower and laggier Back Air

I am convinced, from my extensive experience using both characters that Charizard is a better character than Bowser, despite the general consensus that the latter is a significantly higher-tiered character than the former. As this is a board dedicated to Charizard mains, can someone please explain to me why the general consensus is the way it is despite my observations? I would like to know if I am missing something with either character.

Last edited:

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
I doubt charizard will make top 10 anytime soon, but I think he'll be at the head of the mid tier pile up that's predicted. (The idea being that better balance in this game will result in tiers being mashed together, perhaps even ABC being the only tiers.)

However, considering how hard he can devastate people with his punishes, he will probably benefit highly from game knowledge. As the player's knowledge goes up, the more consistently they can properly punish the opponent.

From this, I make a bold prediction: Charizard won't start too well on the tier list, but will continue to rise.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think Bowser heavily outclasses Charizard, resulting in him being a lowtier because that's how people think.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Is he truly outclassed or is he just hard to use? There is a difference.
Bowser in many ways shares good traits of Charizard but simply has it better. What Zard has instead is a better recovery and Flame Charge. I don't think they make up for Bowser having many moves which are just better versions of Zards moves, such as Fair and Flamethrower. However even if Charizard is only slightly worse than Bowser he will still be considered trash because he is still worse than Bowser. Only people who should play Zard are those who really like the aspects unique to him. Flame Charge is Charizard.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is Bowser's flamethrower actually better than Zard's?

I tried out Bowser a couple of days ago, and I couldn't angle it as much, and the end of the flamethrower doesn't even stun, so I'm guessing it deals more damage?

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
The only thing those two have in common is that they're both heavy characters with flamethrower, that's it. Bowser and Charizard are 2 completely different characters that shouldn't be compared.

Coffee™

I need it....
I think Bowser heavily outclasses Charizard, resulting in him being a lowtier because that's how people think.
How does Bowser outclass Zard? If anything it seems like it's quite the other way around.

I think Bowser is a better character even though Charizard does have legitimate advantages over him..
Anything significant outside of what the OP already mentioned?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
How does Bowser outclass Zard? If anything it seems like it's quite the other way around.

Anything significant outside of what the OP already mentioned?
Zard has a lot of super armor on his kit. I don't even think Bowser has this much, it's comparable to lil'Mac.

The OP covered a lot of it, but I still think Bowser is better because his spacing and more reliable hitting potential.

This might change but Zard seems like a very heavyweight heavy read character.

Bowser seems more like a grappler with less overall reach, Zard can go out farther and close distance much fast.

Flare Blitz is a godlike move.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Bowser in many ways shares good traits of Charizard but simply has it better. What Zard has instead is a better recovery and Flame Charge. I don't think they make up for Bowser having many moves which are just better versions of Zards moves, such as Fair and Flamethrower. However even if Charizard is only slightly worse than Bowser he will still be considered trash because he is still worse than Bowser. Only people who should play Zard are those who really like the aspects unique to him. Flame Charge is Charizard.
Are you honestly overlooking how much more difficult it is to kill with Bowser at ~100% compared to Charizard simply because none of Bowser's attacks that can KO around that range can hit anywhere near as easily as Flare Blitz can?

Even though I've been using Bowser since the start of SSBB, and only picked up Charizard when I first got SSB4, I nonetheless find Charizard far easier to use, the single biggest reason being the fact that Charizard can KO at ~100% far more reliably than Bowser can. Bowser either has to try to land a Fair, Bair or Usmash at ~100%, or get the opponent up to like 160% in order to finish them with a much more easy-to-hit move like Whirling Fortress, Ftilt, Fthrow or Bthrow.

A point for Bowser though: I had many 1-on-1 matches on With Friends mode yesterday on the Battlefield stage, using both Bowser and Charizard, and from that experience, I believe that part of what initially made me think Charizard is so much better than Bowser is because For Glory (the mode I play the most) is always on Final Destination or an Omega stage, which significantly favors Charizard more than Bowser, especially against projectile campers. I have noticed that on Battlefield, Bowser and Charizard are far closer in terms of effectiveness, maybe even with Bowser being more effective (not too sure about this, didn't play against projectile spammers).

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Flame Charge is strong yeah, but pretty much any random move from Bowser is deadly in this game. Whenever I play against Bowser I'm surprised how early he can kill me with seemingly random moves even when I'm playing as Charizard. He also doesn't hurt himself when using his killmoves and they do kill earlier than Flame Charge.

Fairycancel

Smash Rookie
Flame Charge is strong yeah, but pretty much any random move from Bowser is deadly in this game. Whenever I play against Bowser I'm surprised how early he can kill me with seemingly random moves even when I'm playing as Charizard. He also doesn't hurt himself when using his killmoves and they do kill earlier than Flame Charge.
The damage from flare blitz actually helps charizard. Of all the characters charizard is one that benefits from high % since hes recovery is very good thanks to flare blitz and hes normal recovery while he is also quite heavy. High % + side smash means KO very often.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I don't think for glory win rate will be a good indicator of player ability for a long time, because right now most everyone online is really free.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Browser and Charizard play differently though. The only similarity between Charizard and Bowser are their weight classes. Otherwise Charizard has a much better aerial and spacing game, his jabs are quicker and can confirm into grabs. IMO Charizard's specials are better than Bowsers too. Super Armor Rock Smash is a really amazing tool, and can extend Charizard's life far past kill %s if you use it wisely and learn to master turnaround Rock Smashes. Flare Blitz is an incredibly powerful roll punish and finisher/ recovery. I don't know how their Neutral Bs compare, but I've always liked Charizard's more. Bowsercide is annoying and stupid sometimes, but against better players it's not going to fare nearly as well.
The damage from flare blitz actually helps charizard. Of all the characters charizard is one that benefits from high % since hes recovery is very good thanks to flare blitz and hes normal recovery while he is also quite heavy. High % + side smash means KO very often.
I think adding a little damage to Charizard is fine, and even good because it helps him keep out of those low percent combos and allows to to vector away for more dangerous combos more easily. Rage doesn't seem like that big a factor in Charizard's case IMO. If you'll kill with Rage you will probably kill without it.
This might change but Zard seems like a very heavyweight heavy read character.
NAir and Charizard's Jabs make him much more mobile than he seems at first and FAir, BAir, Dair, F Smash, D Smash, U Smash, Flare Blitz, Rock Smash, and Fly are all reliable low percent kill moves. His spacing with F Tilt is also really good, though I wish it could be angled.

Also U Tilt and U Smash have hitboxes that aren't hurtboxes making it fairly easy to juggle characters. U Tilt straight up beats Bowser Bomb.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
FTilt can be angled, but don't think it's much of a difference.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I feel like Bowser is a somewhat better character than Charizard, But not by much. The biggest differences I noticed:

- Bowser's platform pressure game is a lot scarier than Zard's. Fair has a greater hitbox. Koopa Claw is a command grab that can be used in the air. Huge. Up Smash covers small platforms like BF's easily and has invincibility on the shell. U-Tilt covers a great angle than Charizard's tool. Therefore he benefits more from stages with platforms. Zard has options but they aren't as threatening.

- Bowser's punishes in general do more damage. Jab hurts more. Flame Breath is better for racking damage than Flamethrower. Bowser has some quicker punishes that do stupid amounts of damage and knockback. Koopa Claw, Bowser Bomb and Bair HURT. Charizard has Flare Blitz..but it hurts him too. (Not bringing customs into this right now) Charizard's Bair hurts but its much riskier. Nair is our bread and butter but it doesnt do much damage. He doesn't have a command grab either. Bowser's Fair is the evolved form of Charizard's. Their F-Tilts have similar utility. Bowser's Up-Tilt will hit more reliably because of the vastly superior hitbox coverage. Bowser's Down-Tilt can do a lot more damage and can actually kill, rather than just sit up edgeguards. A lot of their moves actually have similar utility..but Bowser's just do more damage.

- Bowser's pivot grab is much better than Charizards. Charizard's got a solid dash grab but nothing stellar outside of that. Bowser's grab game in general is better imo. Only thing he doesn't have is a kill throw. Oh wait, Koopa Klaw. Has multiple throws that does 13% and then he has one that does 19% and kills too. Bowser's throw set is good for a grappler, punisher like him. Lots of damage, good grab range. Makes him more threatening in close range. Charizard's throw set offers more versatility and plays into this moveset in a different way. Charizard's throws much more in harmony with other moves and allows possible chasing and follow ups. Having a kill throw is a nice bonus too. I like that his grabs all have different uses..but I feel like Bowser's grab game supports his playstyle better.

- Charizard's Super Armor and ability to go through things helps him a LOT. Bowser is super fat but Charizard can choose to just bypass certain kill moves with a proper read on reaction in some cases. Heavies love to trade..but Charizard is the king of trading. He's like Brawl Donkey Kong rofl. I find it easier to live with Charizard at higher percents just because one of the first things I like to look for is "When can I trade with Rock Smash? What's the move my opponent likes to throw out I know I can trade with".

- Both characters are really scary to be up against if you're being edgeguarded by them. I think Charizard has the edge here. Fair and Bair are really scary but Charizard's Fair, Bair and Nair also do the job. You don't need to have as great of a hitbox off stage with Fair when you have three jumps, ya know? Charizard's Bair has insane range and power. Nair frame traps people. And you always have Flare Blitz to help you get back.

- Bowser gets walled a lot easier than Charizard. No surprises there.

- Bowser's neutral game is better to me. And I think that's a big factor in why people feel the way they do about Charizard. The fact ism Bowser just SEEMS more threatening. People know Charizard has kills for days. But I feel Bowser feels more threatening in a variety of situations. Until we make people feel that way, Bowser is gonna seem like a better version of us because they do have some parallels. Bowser's more of your grappler, punisher. Charizard's a punisher with some different tools.

Last edited:

Fairycancel

Smash Rookie
I feel like Bowser is a somewhat better character than Charizard, But not by much. The biggest differences I noticed:

- Bowser's platform pressure game is a lot scarier than Zard's. Fair has a greater hitbox. Koopa Claw is a command grab that can be used in the air. Huge. Up Smash covers small platforms like BF's easily and has invincibility on the shell. U-Tilt covers a great angle than Charizard's tool. Therefore he benefits more from stages with platforms. Zard has options but they aren't as threatening.

- Bowser's punishes in general do more damage. Jab hurts more. Flame Breath is better for racking damage than Flamethrower. Bowser has some quicker punishes that do stupid amounts of damage and knockback. Koopa Claw, Bowser Bomb and Bair HURT. Charizard has Flare Blitz..but it hurts him too. (Not bringing customs into this right now) Charizard's Bair hurts but its much riskier. Nair is our bread and butter but it doesnt do much damage. He doesn't have a command grab either. Bowser's Fair is the evolved form of Charizard's. Their F-Tilts have similar utility. Bowser's Up-Tilt will hit more reliably because of the vastly superior hitbox coverage. Bowser's Down-Tilt can do a lot more damage and can actually kill, rather than just sit up edgeguards. A lot of their moves actually have similar utility..but Bowser's just do more damage.

- Bowser's pivot grab is much better than Charizards. Charizard's got a solid dash grab but nothing stellar outside of that. Bowser's grab game in general is better imo. Only thing he doesn't have is a kill throw. Oh wait, Koopa Klaw. Has multiple throws that does 13% and then he has one that does 19% and kills too. Bowser's throw set is good for a grappler, punisher like him. Lots of damage, good grab range. Makes him more threatening in close range. Charizard's throw set offers more versatility and plays into this moveset in a different way. Charizard's throws much more in harmony with other moves and allows possible chasing and follow ups. Having a kill throw is a nice bonus too. I like that his grabs all have different uses..but I feel like Bowser's grab game supports his playstyle better.

- Charizard's Super Armor and ability to go through things helps him a LOT. Bowser is super fat but Charizard can choose to just bypass certain kill moves with a proper read on reaction in some cases. Heavies love to trade..but Charizard is the king of trading. He's like Brawl Donkey Kong rofl. I find it easier to live with Charizard at higher percents just because one of the first things I like to look for is "When can I trade with Rock Smash? What's the move my opponent likes to throw out I know I can trade with".

- Both characters are really scary to be up against if you're being edgeguarded by them. I think Charizard has the edge here. Fair and Bair are really scary but Charizard's Fair, Bair and Nair also do the job. You don't need to have as great of a hitbox off stage with Fair when you have three jumps, ya know? Charizard's Bair has insane range and power. Nair frame traps people. And you always have Flare Blitz to help you get back.

- Bowser gets walled a lot easier than Charizard. No surprises there.

- Bowser's neutral game is better to me. And I think that's a big factor in why people feel the way they do about Charizard. The fact ism Bowser just SEEMS more threatening. People know Charizard has kills for days. But I feel Bowser feels more threatening in a variety of situations. Until we make people feel that way, Bowser is gonna seem like a better version of us because they do have some parallels. Bowser's more of your grappler, punisher. Charizard's a punisher with some different tools.
Really interesting. Thanks for taking your time to explain this since there is a lot of people that think Charizard is terrible... Even putting him in F tier, like wow.

Lew Paue

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ponceman
3DS FC
4382-2004-7067
Bowser is good there is no dening that, but his vertical recovery can be a let down and I dont think bowser has a reliable spike, chars down air can kill at percents so early bowser s super jealous. I think Charizard is getting under rated, In a match up i could see char winning due to super armor and bowsers massive hurt box means a well timed rock smash can really destroy him.

Unresolved

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unresolved
3DS FC
4596-9792-3892
To be quite honest, I've been gravitating towards Bowser lately over Charizard, mainly because I win 70% of my For Glory matches because my opponents are too stupid to not see a bowsercide coming.
Flare blitz and rock smash are literally the best though, so I may switch back to Charizard for a competitive sake.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What I mean with Bowser vs Charizard is that they both appear very similar on basic level. Bowser is just so much easier to succeed with early on so people will easily end up ignoring Zard.

Fairycancel

Smash Rookie
What I mean with Bowser vs Charizard is that they both appear very similar on basic level. Bowser is just so much easier to succeed with early on so people will easily end up ignoring Zard.
Yep. No question about that. Charizard have a really cool bag of tricks but he is a character that you need to put effort into. Charizard is just a bit harder to use. To be honest, I think Bowser and Charizard are pretty close in power. I like Charizard more because of hes tools though.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I believe Bowser to be a significantly better character, but it might be just a first impression. You are going to have a hard time convincing me Charizard is anything other than bottom 10 character in the game.

Fairycancel

Smash Rookie
I believe Bowser to be a significantly better character, but it might be just a first impression. You are going to have a hard time convincing me Charizard is anything other than bottom 10 character in the game.
Charizard is a beast but a error can cost you a lot. If you want we can fight but by no means am I a pro but I think I am above average.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Charizard is a beast but a error can cost you a lot. If you want we can fight but by no means am I a pro but I think I am above average.
Little tip, everyone thinks they're above average. That's what the quote in my sig is making fun of.

Fairycancel

Smash Rookie
Little tip, everyone thinks they're above average. That's what the quote in my sig is making fun of.
I am not terrible or bad. I am a bit better than decent. There is obviously people that are better than me but a lot of times I can hold my own. That is, when there is no lag since lag kills charizard.

Last edited:

Fairycancel

Smash Rookie
If you want we can fight and you can tell me how you would rate me. ^.^

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's only a first impression, but I have 4 years of competitive Smash experience to back it up. Charizard is not a good character but you can definitely use him and succeed. It's going to be hard, but such is the life of a lowtier main. His pros just don't make up for his cons in my opinion. Feel free to provide your opinions and I'll tell you what I think. Who knows I might even be wrong.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I agree. Using Charizard feels like an uphill battle.. But that just makes winning all the more satisfying.
As long as Rosalina doesn't become the next MK, it shouldn't be the stuff of nightmares.

Lew Paue

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ponceman
3DS FC
4382-2004-7067
I think that a charizard that properly uses his super armor should be extemely hard to finish off, and his rage knock only gets higher everytime he rock smash trades

ZTD | TECHnology

I think the central theme between these two characters is this:

Bowser, while huge, fat and doesn't have the fastest moveset , has a moveset that REALLY plays into his strengths as a character. He lives for a very long time typically without the use of Super Armor, has highly damaging, high knockback, reliable punishes that support the traditional grappler/punisher, big boy character. The fact he has a great reliable and not overly risky OoS option in Fortress also really supplements this playstyle. He might not be able to run but he can eject from a bad situation with this and punish safer moves.

Charizard doesn't really excel at anything aside from living long. However some significant damage will be self inflicted if using Flare Blitz, and he generally needs that Super Armor to reach those high percents. Bowser doesn't need this. Charizard has nice punishes but they are rather situational and not as damaging as Bowser's. His moveset covers a wide variety of situations but they're all varying in "safeness" and reliability. Bowser's punishes seem to work very well in the game he plays. Charizard feels more like a jack of all trades, master of none type character who happens to hit hard and live long. He just feels like a hybrid. Typically characters like this don't do as well as others who really excel at a certain something. Rosalina excels because covers/limits options better than perhaps every other character in the game. Sheik excels because of her moveset and movement speed that coalesce well together. Bowser does well because he lives long enough to take advantage of rage without having to do anything extra and his punishes really exaggerate mistakes.

Overall, I feel like Charizard is a lot more work than Bowser. The question you have to ask yourself here is:

Do you believe the additional work/effort to master his moveset is worth the more versatile moveset or would you rather play more of a niche character?

Last edited:

Fairycancel

Smash Rookie
I think the central theme between these two characters is this:

Bowser, while huge, fat and doesn't have the fastest moveset , has a moveset that REALLY plays into his strengths as a character. He lives for a very long time typically without the use of Super Armor, has highly damaging, high knockback, reliable punishes that support the traditional grappler/punisher, big boy character. The fact he has a great reliable and not overly risky OoS option in Fortress also really supplements this playstyle. He might not be able to run but he can eject from a bad situation with this and punish safer moves.

Charizard doesn't really excel at anything aside from living long. However some significant damage will be self inflicted if using Flare Blitz, and he generally needs that Super Armor to reach those high percents. Bowser doesn't need this. Charizard has nice punishes but they are rather situational and not as damaging as Bowser's. His moveset covers a wide variety of situations but they're all varying in "safeness" and reliability. Bowser's punishes seem to work very well in the game he plays. Charizard feels more like a jack of all trades, master of none type character who happens to hit hard and live long. He just feels like a hybrid. Typically characters like this don't do as well as others who really excel at a certain something. Rosalina excels because covers/limits options better than perhaps every other character in the game. Sheik excels because of her moveset and movement speed that coalesce well together. Bowser does well because he lives long enough to take advantage of rage without having to do anything extra and his punishes really exaggerate mistakes.

Overall, I feel like Charizard is a lot more work than Bowser. The question you have to ask yourself here is:

Do you believe the additional work/effort to master his moveset is worth the more versatile moveset or would you rather play more of a niche character?
That is exactly why I like him. At first I used Pit but he didn't quite click with me. I kept checking out the other characters and at first I felt like Charizard was terrible. One time I was fighting a really bad player online and I decided why not check out how Charizard plays online and from then on he clicked with me. The more I practice with him, the more I enjoy him. Its really fun for me to find new ways to use hes move and to learn when I should be using a move or not. He feels brutal. I like how in every match you use practically hes whole moveset unlike a character like Pit which some moves are practically useless depending on the match up. That he have answers to so many things is what appeals to me since I dislike overly specialized characters. I am all for versatility XD

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

That is exactly why I like him. At first I used Pit but he didn't quite click with me. I kept checking out the other characters and at first I felt like Charizard was terrible. One time I was fighting a really bad player online and I decided why not check out how Charizard plays online and from then on he clicked with me. The more I practice with him, the more I enjoy him. Its really fun for me to find new ways to use hes move and to learn when I should be using a move or not. He feels brutal. I like how in every match you use practically hes whole moveset unlike a character like Pit which some moves are practically useless depending on the match up. That he have answers to so many things is what appeals to me since I dislike overly specialized characters.
The reason I like Charizard is similar to yours. For me its mostly because, I enjoy a challenge. I know I could go an easier route but I just play what I enjoy and go from there. I have one character that really excels at speed, combos and poking and then I have Charizard who rounds out everything for me. I consider myself competitive and knowledgeable on Smash but I also just want to do my thing and play what I like. And I'm also stubborn and not convinced Charizard is bottom 10. I could be wrong but we'll see how it plays out.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
I disagree with many people in this topic.

1. As someone who constantly alternates between Charizard and Bowser in For Glory, I can only think of one character against whom Bowser does better than Charizard, and that is Yoshi, largely because Whirling Fortress out of shield allows Bowser to punish Yoshi's aerial attacks when Yoshi lands behind Bowser (something Yoshi tries to do very often). As such, I cannot see how Bowser can be so much better than Charizard.

2. I have said this in another topic before, and I will say it again: Charizard has only three clearly disadvantageous matchups in this game: King Dedede (almost unwinnable for Charizard, admittedly), Yoshi, and Mega Man (these two, however, are perfectly beatable by a well-played Charizard, but it will be hard). On the other hand, Charizard has at least six clearly advantageous matchups that I know of: Ike, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Bowser, Greninja, and Jigglypuff (they can all still beat Charizard if well-played, but it will be hard). I cannot see how a character with such matchups constitutes bottom 10 material.

3. Charizard is not a difficult character to use. Aside from Charizard, I also happen to use Captain Falcon, Ganondorf and Bowser in this game, and have tried Rosalina & Luma before, and I can tell you that Charizard's learning curve is, at the very least, lower than that of all of the aforementioned characters, especially Captain Falcon and Rosalina & Luma.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Now you guys are making me happy I lucked into enjoying Sheik lol. I usually shy away from the top tiers because I love repping the low tier hero, but Sheik is the only character that feels really Smash to me in Smash 4. That's just me though.

Also the comments in the above post ^^^^ seem to be a bit broad and sweeping for the game having been out for only one month.

Last edited:

Fairycancel

Smash Rookie
Now you guys are making me happy I lucked into enjoying Sheik lol. I usually shy away from the top tiers because I love repping the low tier hero, but Sheik is the only character that feels really Smash to me in Smash 4. That's just me though.

Also the comments in the above post ^^^^ seem to be a bit broad and sweeping for the game having been out for only one month.
Most of the time I like the characters that are not top tier :/. Lucky you. Funny thing is that I am also enjoying Jiggs. I think Charizard may already have a spot as one of my mains but I am not sure for the secondary main. I will have to check Jiggs a bit more to decide... Yet another character that is not all that great right? -_-.

ZTD | TECHnology

I disagree with many people in this topic.

1. As someone who constantly alternates between Charizard and Bowser in For Glory, I can only think of one character against whom Bowser does better than Charizard, and that is Yoshi, largely because Whirling Fortress out of shield allows Bowser to punish Yoshi's aerial attacks when Yoshi lands behind Bowser (something Yoshi tries to do very often). As such, I cannot see how Bowser can be so much better than Charizard.

2. I have said this in another topic before, and I will say it again: Charizard has only three clearly disadvantageous matchups in this game: King Dedede (almost unwinnable for Charizard, admittedly), Yoshi, and Mega Man (these two, however, are perfectly beatable by a well-played Charizard, but it will be hard). On the other hand, Charizard has at least six clearly advantageous matchups that I know of: Ike, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Bowser, Greninja, and Jigglypuff (they can all still beat Charizard if well-played, but it will be hard). I cannot see how a character with such matchups constitutes bottom 10 material.

3. Charizard is not a difficult character to use. Aside from Charizard, I also happen to use Captain Falcon, Ganondorf and Bowser in this game, and have tried Rosalina & Luma before, and I can tell you that Charizard's learning curve is, at the very least, lower than that of all of the aforementioned characters, especially Captain Falcon and Rosalina & Luma.
In order:

1. For Glory is not the most reputable source to be basing your opinions off of. For Glory contains far more lesser experienced players than experienced. A majority of established Smash players already have a network of players to add to their friends from previous installments or use some of the more competitive oriented mediums. I'm not saying you can't find a good player on For Glory but overall in short: It's full of scrubs. It offers a vary narow perspective of the actual metagame currently. That could change as time goes on and people grow though.

2. So...you think Dedede destroys us but believe we go even or beat Rosalina, Sheik, Zero Suit, and certain other top tier threats? Please explain in detail your logic behind this. Matchup specific information would be helpful. In other words, I strongly disagree with this point.

3. You list only 5 out of 49 characters and say that he's easier to use than all of them. That may or may not be true but how about the other 90% of the roster?

And once again if you are basing your logic off of For Glory online matches, I have an issue. Taking into consideration the abundance of players with terrible, exploitable habits juxtaposed with wifi lag in some cases, hard hitting characters like Charizard do quite in these settings. That does not mean that the character is not difficult to use. When I refer to being difficult to use, I mean in terms of high level, competitive play. Myself and many others feel that Charizard requires more of an effort to excel in highly competitive scenes. And I at least believe that at his core, Charizard is a more complicated character than he appears to be. You don't have agree with me, but once again please explain your logic in full detail. Thanks.

Lastly: (at a previous post)

Although, it is still early, that should not deter people from forming opinions and stating them, We gotta start somewhere ;)

Last edited:

Fairycancel

Smash Rookie
In order:

1. For Glory is not the most reputable source to be basing your opinions off of. For Glory contains far more lesser experienced players than experienced. A majority of established Smash players already have a network of players to add to their friends from previous installments or use some of the more competitive oriented mediums. I'm not saying you can't find a good player on For Glory but overall in short: It's full of scrubs. It offers a vary narow perspective of the actual metagame currently. That could change as time goes on and people grow though.

2. So...you think Dedede destroys us but believe we go even or beat Rosalina, Sheik, Zero Suit, and certain other top tier threats? Please explain in detail your logic behind this. Matchup specific information would be helpful. In other words, I strongly disagree with this point.

3. You list only 5 out of 49 characters and say that he's easier to use than all of them. That may or may not be true but how about the other 90% of the roster?

And once again if you are basing your logic off of For Glory online matches, I have an issue. Taking into consideration the abundance of players with terrible, exploitable habits juxtaposed with wifi lag in some cases, hard hitting characters like Charizard do quite in these settings. That does not mean that the character is not difficult to use. When I refer to being difficult to use, I mean in terms of high level, competitive play. Myself and many others feel that Charizard requires more of an effort to excel in highly competitive scenes. And I at least believe that at his core, Charizard is a more complicated character than he appears to be. You don't have agree with me, but once again please explain your logic in full detail. Thanks.

Lastly: (at a previous post)

Although, it is still early, that should not deter people from forming opinions and stating them, We gotta start somewhere ;)
You know, I would love to fight you some time. I would love to see how you play Charizard.

Top Bottom