• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boss Battles on Intense discussion.

XxRaccoonxX

Smash Rookie
thank you sakurai for putting tripping in the game, because of this useless feature i died against galleon!!! (who btw im having a lot of trouble with >_>)

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
thank you sakurai for putting tripping in the game, because of this useless feature i died against galleon!!! (who btw im having a lot of trouble with >_>)
What exactly are you having trouble with? He's pretty easy to dodge, and he's got really low health. It depends on what character you use.

So, anyway, today I got to Tabuu again. I was rocking, barely getting hit, dodged his Rings of Death, got him down to the TINIEST, tiniest sliver of health, and get hit by the golden cage.

@#$%ing god %#@# ^$#^ freaking @#^#!!! I don't even have tripping to blame this time! It was all me!

The most annoying part is that I somehow managed to get to Tabuu with an extra heart, when I usually NEVER get to him. If only that extra heart could be used midfight...

I also can't retry anytime soon because my hands are still shaking like crazy! It's pretty difficult to type...

P.S. I tried Fox...he's good, but I do better with Charizard for some reason. Charizard kills faster, so you can get more TRIES in sooner. So I get to Tabuu more often. The only problem with Charizard is that he can hardly hit Tabuu with rock smash...

Also, I haven't really tested this, but is dodging with Pokemon Trainer's Down+B a good way to dodge some attacks? (Master hand's drill, Porky's laser?)

EDIT: I BEAT IT! ZOMG! Who would've thought, after hours and hours of playing with Charizard, my 3rd try with Metaknight won it for me? Tabuu was so easy... ^.^;
Finally in the Intense Boss Battles club! Woot woot! I even had one extra heart!

MysteriousSage

Smash Cadet
Victory is mine!

I tried using Lucas and Charizard, but I ultimately won with Fox. The reflector is handy. If you can reflect a lot of projectiles, you can do MASSIVE DAMAGE! Fox's blaster is useful in the Duon fight because that guy is dangerous up close. Just get far away and laserspam him into oblivion. Other than that, it just came down to knowing the Boss attack patterns.
Just keep trying. It took me a lot of tries until I finally beat it.

lord_luigi

Smash Cadet
Just beat it with Charizard (twice!) I had to use all three hearts, but I had one spare before Tabuu.

Master Hand: Spammed Rock Smash. Managed to avoid the finger twist without falling off the stage, beat him with 0%
Crazy Hand: Same as Master Hand, but he never used the twist
Petey: 0%. It's easy if you got the pattern down.
Rayquaza: Got 30% damage to him, got VERY close to the boundary of the stage and killed him
Porky: He was boss 6, so he wasn't exactly OHKO material. He still hit me with the bombs, the hand-slice, and even the laser
Ridley: He didn't hit me, but I almost suicided trying to Rock Smash him...
Meta-Ridley: Not a hit, he was my final boss before Tabuu.
Galleom: Got him above ground, and he hit me quite a bit but I survived.
Duon: I was very lucky with this one, spammed Rock Smash, he got me to 100%+, he sent out the missiles, all but one hit him, the last one hit me, sent me flying, but he was already dying so the death didn't count.
Tabuu: Oh god. His occasional long breaks are now much shorter. He got me with the whip to start, I thought I was a goner, but I barely moved. He sent out the rings once but I survived. Towards the end of the nerverwacking battle, he got me to 163% with his slashes, but I was able to roll out of the way of the slash with actual knockback. Nailed him one more time with Rock Smash, and the trophy was mine.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I haven't tried Boss Battles on anything harder than normal yet, but I think that Pokemon Trainer or Zelda/Shiek is a good choice. Their transformations give you a few moments of invincibility, enough to dodge the bosses killing attacks. Not to mention Ivysaur who totally owns in fights with the hands, the ridleys, and Tabuu.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
This is becoming a ridiculous. I've been trying for about 3 days now. I tear through the first 9 bosses like tissue paper with Lucas. It's getting to the point where I have 2 leftover hearts when I get to Tabuu. But something just always seems to go wrong. It's as if the game has this sensor that once Tabuu's life reaches 1/2 of his full health, a bad luck program runs and just ****'s with the player. I'm so frustrated now it's no funny....

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
This is becoming a ridiculous. I've been trying for about 3 days now. I tear through the first 9 bosses like tissue paper with Lucas. It's getting to the point where I have 2 leftover hearts when I get to Tabuu. But something just always seems to go wrong. It's as if the game has this sensor that once Tabuu's life reaches 1/2 of his full health, a bad luck program runs and just ****'s with the player. I'm so frustrated now it's no funny....
It's all with practice. It took me two weeks just to get to the point where I can fight Tabuu with leftover hearts, but I needed 3 more days to memorize his patterns.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Is there anything in particular you are having trouble with? I have a video of my completion w/ Lucas, but I need to have my roommate split it and do some other work w/ it before I can get it on Youtube.

I could probably answer any particulars for Lucas until I get that up, if you like.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I found practicing against Tabuu in SSE helped a lot.

I took 6 characters: 5 similar to your character, and then the 6th is yours.

Use the first 5 to just dodge, dodge, dodge. When you finally get to your 6th, THEN you can start attacking like it's in Boss Battle mode.

In this way, I can't remember the last time I've been hit by the red rings.

NorrYtt

Smash Cadet
You just keep on chugging. I read this forum and decided to use Fox (though I never use him vs players). At first I could kill just 1 boss per attempt. Slowly I got up to about 3 average. Now I'm at about 5 average and got lucky to kill 8.

It's more an exercise in not getting hit than anything else, which comes down to just timing of dodges and where to position yourself.

Fox is good against the 'KOing' bosses, namely Galloem, Porky, and Duon because of Fox's laser spam and Reflector. Meta-Ridley can die in seconds to his own fire if you double jump in front of him and Reflector, but if you're too close the ricochet explosions on Meta-Ridley will also hit you. There's sweetspot to be in for most every boss move.

I'm at the point where the Hands, Petey, and Meta-Ridley never hit me unless I'm being greedy. Fox's Fair hits 5 times but you can't do anything else during the hits. I've found it's better to just rambo Rayquaza because the only things that are quick enough to hit you are the eye-flash explosion and tail swipe, you can just block the explosion and the tail doesn't KO unless you get hit with the end (being on top of Rayquaza means you get hit with the weaker base of the tail).

I've learned to jump, jump, >B to get over Porky / Duon / Galleom during their KO charges.

It's more or less just a matter of time before I roll a nice sequence and make few enough mistakes to clear Boss Battles on Intense.

RobMoNeY

Smash Cadet
I can't beat it but the highest i ever got was 9 i can never beat the last boss named i think tabu

I just play samus and double missle the bosses sometimes i die when i do it.........

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Well, I'm bored, so I'm going to make suggestions.

Master Hand: Easy. Just attack, but be sure to not attack too much or he might actually hit you. Just dodge his easy-to-dodge attacks. The hand drill...that's pretty hard to dodge; you can either jump off the stage and come back, or...just kill him before he uses the drill.
Also, an interesting tactic when he goes to the top of the screen as a fist...double jump, then up B. If you're close to him, he won't hit you. If you're playing as fox, you can even Fox Rocket straight down to hit him as he slams the ground.

Crazy Hand: Exactly the same as Master Hand, pretty much.

Petey: If you don't get 0% on him, you're doing something wrong. All he does is swing cages and jump. Aim for one cage to make the match faster. You can attack the cage whenever he FINISHES swinging, or right after a jump. (If he jumps straight up, just airdodge, and then attack the cage).

Ridley: In my opinion, harder than Meta-Ridley. When he flies off screen, he's going to drill towards you. I jump in the air and prepare to airdodge, but there's other ways to dodge it. Just note that if you jump in the air, he might just fly over you, and dodging won't be needed.
When he starts flapping his wings, just run (on the ground) towards him and attack his tail. Fox can just laser spam on the ground, because those all hit his tail too.
When he slams the ground and jumps up, RUN to the other side of the stage. He'll fall down nowhere near you. He can also fly towards you from the background, but this is easy as pie to dodge.

Meta-Ridley: Sure, he can kill you at 0%, but he's pretty easy to dodge. You can often tell what attack he'll do by how far he flies over the ship. If he's completely over it, he'll go for a little swoop, for example.
If he flies straight up, prepare to JUMP AND AIRDODGE! He'll slam down on the ship and kill you instantly if you don't.
If he grabs the back of the ship, he'll slowly drag it down and shoot fireballs. Some characters can pound on him and cause him to lose grip before he shoots the first fireball, but others just have to dodge. This move takes some practice to dodge perfect.
Other than that, just learn when he's doing what, and AIRDODGE AIRDODGE AIRDODGE! Ground dodging might result in instant death.

Galleom: Easy. He hardly has any health, and MOST of his attacks are easy to dodge. If he starts the match off shooting missiles, pound him. If he starts hopping around, just ground dodge over and over, and then pound him. If he makes a large jump, prepare to ground dodge (this takes a while to learn the timing). Remember that when you ground dodge, dodge slightly BEFORE he hits the ground, not AS he hits it.

Porky: Hard. Always aim close to the tip of his legs, never his body. You can damage those legs just fine.
If he starts to run towards you, jump over him. If he starts jabbing you...you're screwed. I've never figured out how to dodge this.
When he makes a laser beam over his head, just jump and try to airdodge it. Whatever you do, DON'T be getting hit by the laser as it disapears, it WILL KILL YOU.
If you flies in the air with a spotlight below him, run underneath him, he'll usually miss. If he does it too far away, DON'T run directly towards him, he'll shoot at you correctly. This just takes learning the move.
Also, when he jumps and prepares to come down (like galleom), always GROUND DODGE.

Rayquaza: As one of the first bosses, Rayquaza is actually kind of easy. His moves are very predictable and easy to dodge. (Well, most of them)
When he tail swipes, jump over them and pound him. When he switches sides (usually does this in the beginning of the match), jump over him and pound him. When his eyes glow for a second and an explosion for around you, either jump over it, shield it, dodge it, whatever, and then pound him.
If he dives into the ground, he'll come back up. When you see the ground about to break, shield roll. (Usually, you can attack him as he comes up, too. Only the head will damage you. Charizard's forward tilt, Fox's Forward smash, Metaknight's down smash...all work well). If his health is low, he'll do it three times.
If he flies up, and it takes him a while to do so, he'll come down. Just stay still, shield, and prepare to roll at the slightest noise.
If he flies up, and spins around, he'll shoot lightning. Just airdodge it. It's hard to dodge completely, but airdodging will take the damage to around 10-15%.
If he flies up quickly and vanishes, he'll fly left or right. Only his head will damage you, so dodge that. Shield rolling towards him works, jumping over and airdodge works, spot dodging works...your decision.

Duon: Oh, Duon...I'm not sure what to say here. If your character can shoot, stay away and shoot. Be careful around his melee side (blue). The moves are easy enough to dodge, but are unexpected.
His gun side will shoot at you, (not surprisingly.) Just try to dodge these, and just keep attacking him.
If he shoots missiles, jump over him and get to the other side. He'll probably kill himself with his own missiles.

Tabuu: Tabuu, is kind of easy for me. MAJOR HINT FOR RRoD: GO TO THE EDGE OF THE STAGE, IT'S EASIER TO SEE IT COMING AND DODGE IT. Practice the timing of the red rings of death and they're easy to dodge. (Always, ALWAYS dodge slightly BEFORE the rings gets to you.) His golden lasso, nearly impossible to predict or dodge (though it can be done), just take it like a man.
All of his other moves are easy to dodge. If he shoots that giant laser beam on the bottom (this just takes timing), jump out of the way, and usually use your up+b. If he starts shooting out himself's, run to the other side of the stage and dodge. If he shoots out little sparkles that explode, jump above them. If he shoots his ninja star or swings below, jump over it. If he stays still and sends little balls around him to kill you, just go to the other side of the stage. If he turns into a fish and flies towards you, airdodge it.
Simple enough.

Good luck, everyone. ^.^ Just keep chuggin', you'll get it.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Yea you can bait the rapid thrusts, the problem is dodging it. Snake had it easy, just had to either crouch or do a Mortar Slide and you're safe.

War Raichu

Smash Apprentice
I just managed to beat this (after several tries) with Metaknight and his Neutral Air. Wow. So annoying.

Porky's laser attack makes a second sweep, so you have to be on your toes. Duon can now do that dashing slash with his pink side (which makes no sense; how do you slash with gun arms?) and is just an overall annoyance; I still can't figure out how to dodge that dashing slash, because he seems to drag you with it until your airdodge wears off. Galleom is way harder than in other difficulties.

lord_luigi

Smash Cadet
I just want to say, that it was the first time I got to Tabuu on Boss Battles Intense when I beat him.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Just completed it for the first time as well. It's pretty cheap with Charizard but I needed to start somewhere =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7G8zOzasto

34 chars left ^_^'
Not to be mean, but you did make a few easy-to-fix mistakes. You could've severely reduced your damage from Ridley and Meta Ridley through air dodging.

I do envy how lucky you got at Tabuu. I was at 120% near the end because he Tether Slammed and Gate slammed me a fair bit of times. Grats man.

Just A Gamer

Smash Cadet
hehe, I took fox and blaster-spammed Duon, Porky, and Galleom. Plus the reflector can send back Duon's laser-sweeps, Rayquaza's big-energyball sweep, and Meta-ridley's firing sweep.

Generally, when it comes to Tabuu, the only attack of his i have any trouble dodging is his screen-nuke. Once I dodge that, i've automatically beat him. :p

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
hehe, I took fox and blaster-spammed Duon, Porky, and Galleom. Plus the reflector can send back Duon's laser-sweeps, Rayquaza's big-energyball sweep, and Meta-ridley's firing sweep.

Generally, when it comes to Tabuu, the only attack of his i have any trouble dodging is his screen-nuke. Once I dodge that, i've automatically beat him. :p
What if he does it 2 or 3 times? :]

But yea, Fox has it so amazingly lucky against bosses with the shine and blaster. How powerful are his regular attacks though against bosses? I found myself taking out chunks of HP with Snake's Nair and Ftilt.

Just A Gamer

Smash Cadet
What if he does it 2 or 3 times? :]

Shhhh....dont tell him that. :p

I'm afraid his air attacks are merely substantial.. the dair gives a lot of hits though, so when you line it up, you can hit maybe an 10th of his health. Same goes for fair. Bair and nair really are just when you only have time for one more hit before he attacks, but they do a substantial amount of damage.

I'm not sure why people seem to have so much trouble with the golden gates really. A quick jump and air dodge takes care of them no problem.

Rayquaza was usually the big kicker for me. I generally did a pair of smash attacks. (3 if I got him early)

Porky could be the worst for me until i figured out how to dodge the laser. Just stand about 1 1/2-2 lengths of his machines away. Sidestep towards him when the laser first comes around, then run away and dodge again when it comes back. (or powershield, that works too. :p)

...the gamer has spoken. :)

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I tried Fox, he just seems too weak for me. Sure he murders Meta-Ridley, and can laser spam, but I've beaten it twice with Metaknight somehow. He's fast, does a lot of damage, and can attack multiple times very quickly.

Stonewall_Jackson

Smash Rookie
So how exactly can you dodge Tabuu's Screen Explosion move? Do you just sidestep or air dodge when the rings pass by? I did it once, but I'm not sure how.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
So how exactly can you dodge Tabuu's Screen Explosion move? Do you just sidestep or air dodge when the rings pass by? I did it once, but I'm not sure how.
I use the sidestep. Don't do the 3 dodges strictly back-to-back-to-back, or you'll get mugged by the end of the 2nd ring, or maybe the 3rd.

Then again, that's with me as Lucas. The timing may be different per character if the duration of a sidestep is different with different characters.

XxRaccoonxX

Smash Rookie
I-I did it!!! WOOOO
WOOOO o wait what the....all i get is a frickin galleom trophy!?!
beat it with fox, i was like 2 inches away from falling off the edge of the screen :O
im still shaking :laugh:

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Yes, you sidestep it. Just sidestep before each little red ring.

The cool thing is that for EVERY difficulty, in both boss battles and SSE, the timing is the same. I would suggest playing Tabuu in the Great Maze to learn the timing of it. It's also a great way to learn how to dodge the other attacks too.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
@Pyrotek: Had any luck beating it yet? I know you've been trying for a while now.

I've been trying to beat it as my other mains (Beat it as Marth, have Peach, Ness and Wario to go) but I've had no such luck...I got close as Ness but got destroyed by Porky...(go figure that little porker would be the one to finish me off while I'm playing as Ness >_>)

NorrYtt

Smash Cadet
*I play Fox*

Gah. I've been at this all weekend. Tried a couple others but Fox is so good against the harder bosses with his safe gun. One attempt had Tabuu at a sliver of health, but I got greedy over the edge to hit him and got stuck underneath the stage. I'm getting much better at Porky, his legs stick out far so lasers hit him, and when he does his medium sideways dance ready to rapid stab you, Fox can UpB on top of him to the other side for big damage safely.

All the boss attacks seem to fall into a few categories - damage-racking, High% KO or One-Hit-Knock-Out (OHNO).

I find that sometimes I get caught in a laggy move or have bad position, I throw up my shield to absorb the hit. Most times the impact knocks my shield to a tiny bubble or my shield breaks, but at least I'm not dead. I can sometime wriggle free or the boss hits me with a damage-racking move.

Most bosses have been gifted with a fast, HIGHLY damaging, non-KO attack that's very difficult to dodge correctly because it's homing, I believe the programmers designed these moves to more or less 'guarantee' you'd take damage over time during the boss fight to get you to be more offensive:

Hands - The Drill move. This thing usually hits me.
Ridley - Tail scrape. This is the most egregious of damage-racking, getting pushed the whole length of the stage can take you from 0% to 80% in less than 1 second. Luckily you can DI/block/roll to get out while being hit. Timely air dodging up no matter what you expect from Ridley is a good practice to always avoid this attack.
Porky - Circular laser. I jump up and air dodge down through it, then just block the 2nd hit with my shield. I fully dodge this about 1/2 the time.
Rayquaza - The floating-in-the-air eletricity bolt for a good 40% at times. Stay on the ground and just block, it will knock your shield to a little bubble.

You're "allowed" to get hit by a High% KO move once or twice, but at 60%+ or so the knockback is greatly amplified and kills you. Most of the boss attacks are this way, like giant-stomping attacks, Master Hand's random cheesy insta-flick, which is why it's just so dangerous to remain in a long boss fight at high %. Duon's orb 3 laser attack has tiny knockback at 0% but becomes a homing KO move when you're at high %.

There's all kinds of BS stuff that can end your boss battle run. The most obvious is that bosses can roll their most unfair attacks more than usual. Bosses do seem to 'equalize' their attack pattern so if say Meta-Ridley hasn't done his fire spray you can reasonably anticipate it's coming up very soon. You could TRIP, which is a good reason to just not dash at times that a trip would be lethal. Bosses seem to have irregular 'idle' animation frames that slightly shortens or widens their 'vulnerable' time frame - you can see Petey peak to his right a bit randomly just to waste time. You could get caught in a laggy move animation (Fox's Fair) when the boss decides to have fewer idle frames and roll the perfect attack that hits you. Some bosses shoot random projectiles that might completely box you in. For the most part, your shield is kind of an 'oh ****' button but big impacts wreck it.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I've been using DK for this...is that a good idea? >_>

I use DK's down B for characters on the ground, it takes out tons of damage. In the air, I use his up B which hits many times. Right now it's just getting used to everyone's attack patterns, I feel like it's definitely possible with DK

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
It's possible with any character, but you need to practice in order to compensate for differences between boss speeds and your attacks.

btw, DK's ground strat may falter against Pokey. That pig has alot of nasty attacks that can mess up DK when he's ending the ground pound.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! After nearly a week of failure, I just beat it with Lucas! Failure after failure finally produced results. I'd like to also personally give Tabuu the middle finger, for being such an *******... Man, this took forever. Now I have to do it on the rest of the difficulties...

ldxazamb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3609-1337-7155
i tried the charazard tatic with my friend and i cant get past 4 but using no hearts tho

Ash Hol

Smash Apprentice
this mode is pissing me off. i tried it with fox and i failed badly. but always on duon, unless he's right away, then i just make idiot mistakes.

Top Bottom