• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BOOST BLADE~ Item Toss/Glide Tech For Mega Man

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
i just found out this tech from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj3kgaikN_s

the inputs are dash+ grab+ c stick, and it looks cool, and it gives megaman a DACIT from brawl :D
edit: I looked around other threads and saw someone already posted a video about it. those guys beat me to it lol. anyway, i'm still trying to see if it works with c stick set to tilt..

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I believe it doesn't work with A-stick, unfortunately.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
yea, idk if c stick set to tilt attack works, ive only been able to get it out with c stick set to smash attack. with c stick set to tilt, i keep throwing the metal blade forward.

and btw, the best button for grab to do this tech is z set to grab, cuz you need to have your fingers at z and c stick in an almost simulatenous frame window to make inputs

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Gonna go ahead and assume that this is virtually impossible on the 3DS... my favorite controller loses more utility every day.

I think this might be MegaMan specific - I've tried it with every character who can generate their own items, but couldn't get it to work at all. MegaMan however, can perform this with any item, no difference in slide distance, and no one else can do it with Metal Blade, so it isn't some odd trick of Metal Blade.

Also this is so easy to do, I'm shocked it wasn't found earlier (unless it's a product of the recent patch).

Disregard that - Ike can still do it. Not as useful for Ike since he can't produce his own item, but useful nonetheless.

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
yea, idk if c stick set to tilt attack works, ive only been able to get it out with c stick set to smash attack. with c stick set to tilt, i keep throwing the metal blade forward.

and btw, the best button for grab to do this tech is z set to grab, cuz you need to have your fingers at z and c stick in an almost simulatenous frame window to make inputs
R does it perfectly too if you are using z to jump

If Z is your grab what is your jump button ?

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
R does it perfectly too if you are using z to jump

If Z is your grab what is your jump button ?
yep i agree. it works great. i have my jump mapped to Y

Last edited:

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
I love this, been playing with it every since I got home from work. It's really easy tech, I think I'll have it down %99 in matches in a couple days maybe? Side note, you can do this while you have leaf shield or variants up. Not sure how useful that tid bit is right now, but it's neat to keep in mind.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Just by looking at it, it feels like the entire Item Toss portion (Z + C Stick Up) Has to be done within 10 frames. Maybe a little more forgiving than that, but 30 minutes in, I can only get a 40% success rate.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Is this a essential tech to implement into any Mega Man player's gameplay? I may learn it either way because it's cool as hell but just curious. Certainly looks very interesting to do and I really want to surprise my opponents with it.

Last edited:

Waldᴏ

Smash Rookie
NNID
wallyaldo
3DS FC
3196-4091-3980
Is there any way at all to get this on 3DS? Even when I have speed set to 1/4 I haven't been able to pull it off. Tried both doing an up smash with tap up+A and up+A&B but neither produce any results for me.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Cool beans. Mega Man is primed to abuse this.

Though honestly, I'm having more luck getting it to work consistently with Mewtwo than Mega Man.

EDIT: Yep, I can get it about 90% of the time with Mewtwo. Not sure why though.

Last edited:

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way at all to get this on 3DS? Even when I have speed set to 1/4 I haven't been able to pull it off. Tried both doing an up smash with tap up+A and up+A&B but neither produce any results for me.
I'm able to do it on 3DS using A+B instead of the second stick, but the timing is nearly impossible. Easiest thing to do it on for me is tablet/pro controller

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
This looks glitchy as hell. Any chance this doesn't get patched out?

I was having trouble (20-30%), but now with an easy technique I'm at 90-95% now. Set Z to grab. Hold index finger about an inch away from Z. Then I use one fast motion and slam both buttons at same time. Holding an inch away seemed to make a world of difference.

Last edited:

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
This may be just me being crazy, but out of the dash animation I'm like 60-70% with this, but out of the run animation I'm like 95% (after an afternoon of practice both in training and matches). Do you think the timing is different depending on the animation you're in?

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
I'm able to do it on 3DS using A+B instead of the second stick, but the timing is nearly impossible. Easiest thing to do it on for me is tablet/pro controller
I practiced this a bit on the 3DS and it's a lot easier for me now. Try doing it a little later (I did it out of the start of his run) and angling the stick a little bit up but mostly forwards (around 30 degrees).

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Got it down. Cstick set to smash, not tilts. I just press z and cstick at basically the same time. Cannot reproduce on 3ds, even with the cstick (new 3ds). Cannot do it with any other direction than throwing the item up. That might be me though.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Oh God i just wavedashed into shoryuken for the kill in for glory! Im in love. This tech is actually useful

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Cool beans. Mega Man is primed to abuse this.

Though honestly, I'm having more luck getting it to work consistently with Mewtwo than Mega Man.

EDIT: Yep, I can get it about 90% of the time with Mewtwo. Not sure why though.
i tried it with pikachu and it felt almost impossible i wonder if all character can do it

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
i tried it with pikachu and it felt almost impossible i wonder if all character can do it
Here's a list of all characters that have a boost while doing it, credits to @TheSMASHtyke

Dash Item Toss Cancelled Item Toss Lengths:

Huge: :4luigi::4gaw::4myfriends::4metaknight::4greninja::4shulk::4megaman::4mewtwo:
Noticable: :4mario::4link::4pacman::4fox::4falco::4drmario::4miisword:
Slight or No Distance increase from running :GCCU:: :4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario2::4dk::4diddy::4littlemac::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4marth::4robinm::4duckhunt::4kirby::4dedede::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4rob::4ness::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4darkpit::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miigun:
Significantly Less Distance: :4sonic:

Waldᴏ

Smash Rookie
NNID
wallyaldo
3DS FC
3196-4091-3980
I practiced this a bit on the 3DS and it's a lot easier for me now. Try doing it a little later (I did it out of the start of his run) and angling the stick a little bit up but mostly forwards (around 30 degrees).

Messed around with it using your advice and it's not too bad. Also this works when throwing forward but I don't see a use for that. Not sure if A&B for smash would be required but it definitely makes it more accurate from what I've tried.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Yea i stand corrected, got it in the 3ds but its a lot harder than with the gc controler. I blame it on thw dumb cstick nub. Im already mixing it up, slide to grab is a great option since the opponent shields a lot of the time when the mb is ij your hand

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Hmm...I still don't like using stuff like this, which is obviously a bug. Wonder why it works.

Lebrawlski

Smash Rookie
I've been playing around with this tech with Hyper Bombs. I was just messing around with it last night, so its not a big display of what is possible, but its something to get ideas from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8KPl59qWI

After making this video, I was working with the glide toss tech with a bomb a bit more, but while in leaf shield. I was able to pull off some neat stuff like sliding past the opponent, throw leaf shield, and at higher percentages, it will throw the opponent up into the bomb. I wish I was recording when I pulled that off.

Lebrawlski

Smash Rookie
How do you throw the blade forward with this? I couldn't get it.
You can't forward throw with this method. It only works with up throw. If you want to do a forward throw, its a different tech called Jump Cancel Glide Tossing. Its performed by jump being canceled by the throw rather than a dash grab being canceled by an up throw.

Last edited:

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
something odd I noticed while doing this with Link, if you relax the timing a little between z and usmash, Link will throw the bomb forward before starting his upthrow animation.. Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce this with Mega Man...

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
So far the only way I've been able to DACIT while throwing forward is using the A+B method.

I find it easiest to roll from forward to up while rolling my thumb from A to B. So the input ends up being kind of like this:

:GCR::GCA::GCUR::GCB::GCU:

Kind of hard to do consistently, though, and I get variable distances on the slide depending on timing.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
something odd I noticed while doing this with Link, if you relax the timing a little between z and usmash, Link will throw the bomb forward before starting his upthrow animation.. Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce this with Mega Man...
this was a strange link thing since brawl.

Also why is this called a DACIT? You arent cancelling a dash attack. You're canceling a Dash Item Toss lol

I'll explain how this works. DACUS is when you take the acceleration of the first frames of the dash attack to give you momentum for the upsmash. This is us taking the momentum from the first frames of the dashing item throw into a upsmash throw. When you successfully do it, you'll notice the spark of it being a smash throw and not a normal throw.

Last edited:

Lebrawlski

Smash Rookie
Actually, you can do this technique throwing both forwards and upwards. I did this a bunch of times on my 3DS and other people can confirm as well.
Ah ok, cool. Maybe I just need to lab it up more. Any tips on how to pull it off easier, or is ChopperDave's explanation the best?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Ah ok, cool. Maybe I just need to lab it up more. Any tips on how to pull it off easier, or is ChopperDave's explanation the best?
I myself havent gotten it but i know the only way is with A+B due to how the smash stick is programmed.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I gotten it once. Key factor. DIAGONALLY UP+FORWARD THROWS IT UP. If you angle it like a centimeter below the groove of the controller, it'll count as forward.

Top Bottom