• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BoLT Presents: Crusade @ Sage Mantis Game-HAVEN - Jan. 31st, 2014 - Fredericksburg, VA (Melee/P:M)

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Had a blast at ECE January last weekend, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I told a few guys about this, including Koopa and another player new to the tournament scene.

Rctm

Smash Rookie
Me and 2 friends are going to this, it'll be our first tournaments, any advice on what to expect/what to bring? (Aside from controllers)

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Me and 2 friends are going to this, it'll be our first tournaments, any advice on what to expect/what to bring? (Aside from controllers)
Expect to get bopped, but don't let it discourage you from continuing to go to other events. The primary objective for new players going to their first few tournaments should be to play as many friendlies as possible. Ask more experienced players for advice or scenario specific questions. Bring a setup if you can, and if it's Melee, take your memory card out after starting up the game because people can be assholes or it simply might get misplaced. When going to tournaments early in you smash career, you should focus on improving as much as possible. Tournaments are your best opportunities from playing different people with different play styles which help you adapt - something you can't really practice against the people you always play. Also, have fun with it! If you have a competitive spirit, use that to encourage yourself to get better and continue to go to future events in the region.

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Dude thats awful. What do you do?
Well update on that, I actually just got fired from my Sunday job for not showing up due to me having a sprained ankle, so considering I have a doctors note, looks likes I've got a winning lawsuit on my hands. xD

I deliver pizza during the week, and I'm a Wok Chef / backup delivery driver on the weekends, so my hours are kinda crazy.. but since I'm not working Sunday's anymore, I can potentially do these on Saturdays or at least hold Smashfests after I get off of work.

I'll be here :)
Yayuhz!

Last edited:

Samston

Smash Rookie
I really want to come to this, but I'm not sure I will be able to make it by 5 for registration. I will be playing PM only so would I be able to register a little later?

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Oh, awesome, you're coming. Should be a pretty good party at this tournament.
Sounds like it. Here's hoping the venue doesn't start 2 hours late this time lol. Oh and still waiting to hear back from Savedge but he might be carpooling with me.

Got a job interview tomorrow morning, part-time for Goodwill, and expecting to hear back from another interested employer who has strangely not been in all week but I got a great reference for, so we'll see how my day goes.

I will have to admit, getting to meet a bunch of fellow gamers and talk theorysmash with them has done wonders for my mood lately :p

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Sounds like it. Here's hoping the venue doesn't start 2 hours late this time lol. Oh and still waiting to hear back from Savedge but he might be carpooling with me.

Got a job interview tomorrow morning, part-time for Goodwill, and expecting to hear back from another interested employer who has strangely not been in all week but I got a great reference for, so we'll see how my day goes.

I will have to admit, getting to meet a bunch of fellow gamers and talk theorysmash with them has done wonders for my mood lately :p
We started 2 hours late? Which event was this?! I haven't done an event in years. x_x I'll be honest, this is my first Melee/Project M run event so it may be slower than what your accustomed to, but I will be working with Chu so things should move relatively nicely, but if it doesn't, please bare with me as I have been out of the TO scene for a couple of years.

Those of you that have attended my events in the past know that they get better with time. I've run many events, lots of good memories, so I'm hoping to create more with the Melee scene as I did with the Brawl and the oh so brief Brawl+scene.

--also, good luck with your interview. :)

I really want to come to this, but I'm not sure I will be able to make it by 5 for registration. I will be playing PM only so would I be able to register a little later?
Project M does start later so if you'd like to arrive later you can, but if you are later than our scheduled start time (refer to 1st Post of this thread) please call Gamehaven and ask to speak to BoLT.

I would like to confirm my and my setup's attendance. I'll be riding with Shus in case you want to not seed us against each other.
I'll do my best to seed everyone accordingly. I don't seed players that play/ride with each other unless they carpool with like 20 people. lol :p
I'll join. I can bring a full melee set up as well.
Awesome! Look forward to meeting you. :) All additional setups are welcome.

We do have a 4-6 CRT's on deck at the venue already provided by Sage Mantis. I will be bringing my Wii as well and a copy of Project M 3.0. Any additional setups will be appreciated, but for the most part we will need Wii/Cubes.

I look forward to seeing you guys tomorrow! 5:00pm is when we will get things started (registration, setups, and so on) but if you'd like to come earlier, you're more than welcome to. I will be arriving there around 3:30pm to begin setting up. I understand that 5:00 is rush hour, so be sure to leave at a decent hour to beat traffic. Safe travels to those of you outside of Fredericksburg.

Last edited:

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
If the $5 off for the first few setups reserve for first come first serve?
It's only fair that it's first come first serve. We'll probably wind up waving 3 setups, depending on turnout. If it's a large turnout, we'll wave 5, but there will be one setup already there when I arrive at 3:30pm, since I was PMed and told that they will be arriving early (around 3:00pm) to hang out/help me setup. If you plan on coming early, it'll better your chances of getting half off.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Oh, I didn't mean to sound negative towards you Bolt. I was referring to ECE January where Cobalt and I were last week. The owners were supposed to arrive 2 hours early to open up the place, but didn't so a lot of us were waiting out in the cold. Seems TOs tend to catch a lot of flak for stuff that isn't their fault.

And thanks, I'll do my best! I'm planning on bringing a P:M setup (just have to have time to remove the naughty costumes lol).

Samston

Smash Rookie
Project M does start later so if you'd like to arrive later you can, but if you are later than our scheduled start time (refer to 1st Post of this thread) please call Gamehaven and ask to speak to BoLT.
Great, I shouldn't be much later than 6:30 depending on traffic, definitely before it starts at 8 though.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Ok, Savedge just cancelled with a prior engagement so I'll be coming up by myself.

Also as for the job interview, I did pretty well though my experience suggested off the bat that I'd be looking for a better job before long.

Miqi

Smash Rookie
since I'm not working Sunday's anymore, I can potentially do these on Saturdays or at least hold Smashfests after I get off of work.

Yayuhz!
Awesome! Cobalt and another good friend of mine are going to this, and since I work Fridays I wasn't able to come. If you hold another event on a saturday or sunday, and I can get a ride, I will definitely be attending. Hope you guys have a good time!

.fube

Smash Cadet
Thanks a lot for a great tournament. My friend and I learned a lot and had a good time. One thing that I would say for the future is to make sure that all PM setup are using the full set and not the wifi-safe set. The wifi-safe set has differences in light and hard shield presses, which messes with wavedashing and l-canceling. I hope to come to more of these in the future!

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot for a great tournament. My friend and I learned a lot and had a good time. One thing that I would say for the future is to make sure that all PM setup are using the full set and not the wifi-safe set. The wifi-safe set has differences in light and hard shield presses, which messes with wavedashing and l-canceling. I hope to come to more of these in the future!
That's not even a problem specific just to this tournament. The last few tournaments I've been to (including Apex...), had wifi safe tournament setups. It's something that people need to start fixing whenever they go to tournaments as it causes confusion and is an extra hurdle that players have to deal with.

.fube

Smash Cadet
I played all of my PM singles sets on wifi-safe versions, and I played on 3 different setups. Why do people not understand how that works...

Top Bottom