• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bloodrip's Guide to Luigi

Bloodrip

Smash Rookie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bloodrip's Guide to Luigi -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of Contents
I. About this guide
II. Terms to know
--A. Wavedashing
--B. L-Cancel
--C. Fast-Fall
--D. Short- Hop
--E. SHFFL
--F. DI
--G. A?A
--H. Shieldgrab
--I. Dash Dance
III. In-Depth Information on Moves
--A. SHFFL ANA
--B. SHFFL ABA
--C. SHFFL ADA
--D. SHFFL AFA
--E. SHFFL AUA
--F. Tilt Forward
--G. Tilt Up
--H. Tilt Down
--I. 3- Hit Punch
--J. Charged Foward
--K. Charged Down
--L. Charged Up
--M. Run A
--N. Throw Foward
--O. Throw Down
--P. Throw Up
--Q. Throw Backward
--R. Fireball
--S. Special Foward
--T. Special Up
--U. Special Down
IV. Conclusion

------------------------------------------- I. About this Guide---------------------------------------

"The Enemy drew closer, slowly deteriorating morale, weakening resistance. His moves are as surprising as a jack-in-the-box, his strategy as flexible as rubber; never yielding, always advancing." Super Smash Bros. Melee is one of the most invigorating games I've ever played. All the characters, stages, and modes are as creative as a video game can be, and let's not forget the intuitive mechanics and unique feel to each character enrolled in the game's roster. Some characters represent intriguing ideals; others memorable experiences. A few people are attracted to the creme del la crop of the character selection, others simply enjoy the more interesting brawlers. Whichever reason, many people love to indulge in the fast-paced, quick-witted gameplay of Super Smash Bros. Melee.; and what better way is there to enhance their experience than through a guide? In this guide, I will discuss the Terms to Know and an In- Depth Information on Moves of Luigi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------- II. Terms To Know--------------------------------------------

A. Wavedashing: Simply a move where you jump, then air-dodge into the ground without lifting your character up at all, thus creating a slide.
B. Lag- Cancel: This is where you push L, R, or Z half a second before your aerial A-attack lands, thus reducing the lag-time by 50%.
C. Fast- Fall: Basically you push down on the control stick when you reach the peak of your jump.
D. Short- Hop: When you push the X or Y button fast enough, you'll make your character's jump much lower to the ground.
E. SHFFL: Short- Hop, Fast- Fall, Lag- Cancel; all these techniques combined together form a shuffle.
F. Directional Influence: When you're knocked high in the air, tilt the control stick to the left or right to 'direct' or 'influence' your character towards that general direction.
G. ANA Aerial Neutral Attack
ABA Aerial Backward Attack
ADA Aerial Downward Attack
AFA Aerial Forward Attack
AUA Aerial Upward Attack
H. Shieldgrab: Just press L or R when you shield an enemy's attack; if you're in the right direction, you can instantly punish (make them suffer for their attack on you) them with a grab.
I. Dash Dance: When you shift the control stick left and right repeatedly and extremely fast, you can make your character move back and forth very fast, thus creating an unpredictable behavior. (Note: It must be to the VERY left and right of the control stick, like the middle of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------- III. In-Depth Information On Moves-----------------------------------

A. SHFFL ANA (13% generally)- EXTREMELY USEFUL MOVE [Shoots enemy straight up]
>>>>> This move is very high up in my selection of Luigi's moves. <<<<<
>>>>> Not only does it have a pretty big hit-box generally in front <<<<<
>>>>> of him, but it lasts a pretty long time too. The only real flaw <<<<<
>>>>> with it is it cuts it's dmg in half if you use it to hit when the <<<<<
>>>>> move's about to expire, and the move has a slightly <<<<<
>>>>> smaller reach than most other ones in Luigi's move-set. <<<<<
>>>>> But overall, it's an awesome move to use to start up juggles <<<<<
>>>>> and ensure the odds are less against you getting hit first. <<<<<

B. SHFFL ABA (10% generally)- USEFUL MOVE [Shoots enemy back in a sort of hilltop manner]
>>>>> A great move to use in combos and recoveries, it definitely <<<<<
>>>>> makes my list of important moves. The only real disadvantage <<<<<
>>>>> to it is how short it lasts. Although this could work to an advantage <<<<<
>>>>> in a double hit SHFFL, it's shortness usually is utilized nowhere else but <<<<<
>>>>> in a two hit combo. There's also a bit of lag airborne worth mentioning, <<<<<
>>>>> and that it jets out behind Luigi way more then any other move he has. <<<<<

C. SHFFL ADA (15% generally)- EXTREMELY USEFUL MOVE [Shoots enemy forward in a sort of hilltop manner]
>>>>> Even though it's pretty hard to pull it off, it still is useful in many <<<<<
>>>>> fighting scenarios. Just remember it's short and has a <<<<<
>>>>> constricted hit-box narrowed down to just below his feet. <<<<<
>>>>> It also reaches downward slightly more than SHFFL ANA. <<<<<
>>>>> All in all, It's pretty frustrating compared to the SHFFL ANA <<<<<
>>>>> which executes much more easily. But it's one of Luigi's <<<<<
>>>>>most devastating KO moves and is a great edgeguard. <<<<<
>>>>> There's also some lag worth mentioning after this move is executed. <<<<<

D. SHFFL AFA (10% generally)- USEFUL MOVE [Shoots enemy forward in a sort of hilltop manner]
>>>>> The notoriously well-known karate chop (at least I think it <<<<<
>>>>> is) is definitely useful in KOing your opponent without using <<<<<
>>>>> an extremely laggy attack on the ground. Like SHFFL ABA <<<<<
>>>>> and ADA, it's hit-box reaches forward slightly more than a <<<<<
>>>>> SHFFL ANA, although it's hit-box is only slightly further and <<<<<
>>>>> much more constricted. Overall, a great move to use in aerial <<<<<
>>>>> combos or KOs. <<<<<

E. SHFFL AUA (13% generally)- USEFUL MOVE [Shoots enemy upward and diagonally in the direction you hit the enemy]
>>>>> Definitely one of Luigi's juggling moves, SHFFL AUA is very <<<<<
>>>>> important in starting up Luigi's air combos. Where it lacks in <<<<<
>>>>> length it makes up for in juggling and much more bigger hit-boxes <<<<<
>>>>> skyward than SHFFL ANA. Although it smacks the enemy away from <<<<<
>>>>> you, it can be compensated for it's ability to limit DI in certain battle <<<<<
>>>>> situations. Overall, a pretty useful move to use in Luigi's air game. <<<<<

F. Tilt Forward (9% generally)- USEFUL MOVE [Shoots enemy away from you]
>>>>> A pretty useful non-aerial move, Tilt Forward can definitely outrange <<<<<
>>>>> a lot of ground enemy moves but still lacks a decent aerial defense. <<<<<
>>>>> Overall, a great move to use on the ground. <<<<<

G. Tilt Upward (9% generally)- OKAY MOVE [Shoots enemy upward and diagonally in the direction you hit the enemy]
>>>>> I don't have much to say about it except that it operates <<<<<
>>>>> similarly to SHFFL AUA. <<<<<

H. Tilt Downward (9% generally)- WTF?!? [Shoots enemy away from you]
>>>>> Wow. I don't understand this move at all. I generally would <<<<<
>>>>> just stay away from it. Make that almost always. I just don't <<<<<
>>>>> comprehend it's utility in ANY combat situation, except maybe <<<<<
>>>>> mind games. But still, what with dash dancing to confuse your <<<<<
>>>>> opponent, why would you use it there? All in all, definitely a <<<<<
>>>>> move created when the game designer went on a donut break <<<<<
>>>>> or something. <<<<<

I. 3-Hit Punch (3%, 2%, 5%)- USEFUL MOVE [Last hit has large knock-back]
>>>>> Very quick, responsive move. I definitely use this as a second <<<<<
>>>>> choice to grabbing the enemy at close range. This move has <<<<<
>>>>> very little lag except for the last hit, and only has the drawback <<<<<
>>>>> of short range. All in all, a great move to incorporate in your <<<<<
>>>>> arsenal of moves. <<<<<

J. Charged Forward (13 or 17%)- USEFUL MOVE [Shoots enemy forward and diagonally up]
>>>>> Definitely outranges a lot of smashes, but has some annoying <<<<<
>>>>> lag time to accompany it. You can direct the hit by tilting your <<<<<
>>>>> control stick slightly up or down, creating a much more omnirange <<<<<
>>>>> move. Overall, a great move to mix up with your smashes. <<<<<

K. Charged Down (17 or 23%)- EXTREMELY USEFUL MOVE [Shoots enemy straight up]
>>>>> A high damaging, far-reaching, omnirange move. One of it's <<<<<
>>>>> most volatile uses is to wavedash into a Charged Down, <<<<<
>>>>> a very hard to counter, surprising move. Not only does it <<<<<
>>>>> own extremely well, but it juggles as well. The only real <<<<<
>>>>> flaw it has is it's a little short time-wise and can get a little <<<<<
>>>>> predictable if it's overused, but overall a great move to abuse. <<<<<

L. Charged Up (17 or 23%)- USEFUL MOVE [Shoots enemy upward and diagonally in the direction you hit the enemy]
>>>>> Great to use as a powerful juggle on the ground, Charged Up <<<<<
>>>>> has some good potential for helping on the field. One way <<<<<
>>>>> to utilize it is to wavedash Charged Up into an enemy's DI, <<<<<
>>>>> surprising and screwing them over. The bad: not a huge <<<<<
>>>>> hit-box, and it does execute rather quickly. Overall, a good <<<<<
>>>>> move to manipulate, but not to abuse. <<<<<

M. Run A (3- 10%)- OKAY MOVE [Leaves you with a gay opening for the enemy to counter -_-]
>>>>> I almost made this a WTF?!?, but thought about it and <<<<<
>>>>> reconsidered it a somewhat valuable move. It really is <<<<<
>>>>> terrible, and it has a massive gap after it. But if you're <<<<<
>>>>> quick enough, you can avoid the counter if you surprise <<<<<
>>>>> the enemy enough. All in all, a rather useless mind move. <<<<<

N. Throw Forward (7%)- USEFUL MOVE [Throws enemy somewhat far]
>>>>> The move is useful if you need to throw the enemy off the <<<<<
>>>>> edge when you're in a time crunch (meaning he's right there), <<<<<
>>>>> but lacks the distance and power of a greater throw. Overall <<<<<
>>>>> though, it's a useful run-of-the-mill grab. <<<<<

O. Throw Up (7%)- USEFUL MOVE [Throws enemy upward and backward]
>>>>> Pretty much another up-grab, except that it can't be chainthrowed <<<<<
>>>>> in one place for long. A great juggle move, and average grab. <<<<<

P. Throw Down (7%)- USEFUL MOVE [Throws enemy down which makes him/her go upward and backward]
>>>>> Pretty much the same as Throw Up, except you throw the enemy at <<<<<
>>>>> the floor instead. <<<<<

Q. Throw Backward (10%)- EXTREMELY USEFUL MOVE [Throws enemy the farthest]
>>>>> This move definitely has some huge distance, and damages slightly <<<<<
>>>>> more than Luigi's other moves. Like the other grabs, you can wavedash <<<<<
>>>>> into a backward throw, which is a useful technique. All in all, the best <<<<<
>>>>> grab in most situations. <<<<<

R. Fireball (5% generally)- USEFUL MOVE [shoots bullet straight in the air]
>>>>> This move DEFINITELY is important to use. You'll want to use it <<<<<
>>>>> after you grab people, when you advance or retreat, or a part of <<<<<
>>>>> your edgeguard game. Just please don't underestimate it's utility in a <<<<<
>>>>> fight. The real drawbacks though, include very lengthy lag and short <<<<<
>>>>> travel. The important thing to remember to do is to not spam it, just <<<<<
>>>>> sneak it in there every now and then. <<<<<

S. Special Forward/Backward (8- 22%)- USEFUL MOVE [Longer you hold it, farther you go and more lag there is]
{Misfire Hit (24%)=====[Huge Launch Distance]}
>>>>> In a nut shell, you're just gonna want to use it as a recovery move <<<<<
>>>>> and just that. Just remember to charge it appropriately and combine <<<<<
>>>>> it with Special Down and Special Up to recover. <<<<<

T. Special Up (1%)- OKAY MOVE [Very long recovery]
{Fire Hit (24%)=====[Huge upward launch distance]}
>>>>> I really wouldn't use this move unless you're absolutely positive <<<<<
>>>>> that you'll Fire Hit them correctly. Otherwise, leave this move <<<<<
>>>>> alone. <<<<<

U. Special Down (7%, 11%)- USEFUL MOVE [Knocks upward]
>>>>> Incredibly awesome move to use in a mind game. It shouldn't <<<<<
>>>>> be abused, incase the opponent grasps the ability to identify <<<<<
>>>>> it coming, but use it like Luigi's fireball: every now and then. <<<<<

--------------------------------- IV. Conclusion------------------------------------------------------

"Luigi strikes back, wavedashing into blinding quick moves and juggling the enemy to tears. Victorious, he recovers from his loss of confidence and emerges as the champion of the battle." Out of all the characters placed in the game's selection, I chose Luigi for his floaty nature and intuitive feel. IMPORTANT NOTE: I don't play SSBM in tournaments nor have mastered every single technique the game has to offer. But I have tried my best to analyze and provide information for a game I love: so please, leave comments that are constructive and realize I'm trying to make a good guide. I generally play against my Brother who uses a lot of the advanced techniques and mains Link and Pikachu, so hopefully that'll qualify me for something. In this guide, I discussed the Terms to Know and an In- Depth Information on Moves of Luigi. In the end, I hope you enjoyed the guide and can make some use of it. Peace.

ballplayer22k

Smash Cadet
good move guide, except if you are going to say the uair is a useful move then his dair should be a great move. it is one of luigi's top KO moves, and is great for edgeguarding a lot of characters.

Bloodrip

Smash Rookie
Good idea dude, i've noticed that too. I'll reeedit it real fast. Thx for the compliment!

Top Bottom