• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Birdo for sm4sh... pink IS the manliest color no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Poison of Mario :troll:

I would like Birdo as a character, but it (she) has a lot of competition, even with minor Mario characters (Waluigi, Daisy, Geno, ect.) She also has a lot of haters, but nowhere as much as Waluigi/Daisy. She would be a great way of representing Super Mario Bros. 2 and has higher chances than Wart. Go Birdo! :)
Fixed.

:phone:

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi, you have no right to show your face here!
Expecting me to leave??....TOO BAD WALUIGI TIME!!

OT: Could the op possibly make the thread a little less biased it's ok if you support the gender confused dinosaur thing for smash 4 but the waluigi insult seems unneeded

jigglover

Smash Lord
Waluigi doesn't really have a personality that you can see as a casual player, but in the RPG, it's hard to miss. Also, there are a LOT of people that hate Waluigi (me included) so he fails the criteria: it has to make people want to play the game. There are a lot of people like me who shudder at the thought of seeing Waluigi in the game. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325466

D

Deleted member

At the same time, there are a lot of people that WANT Waluigi in the game, so he doesn't fail the first criteria.
Like it or not, Waluigi does have a strong fanbase. Hell, in a poll that Sakurai took interest in a Japanese Nintendo magazine, Waluigi was within the Top 20, and Wario wasn't.

And it's clear Waluigi has a personality. He's arrogant, spiteful, egotistical, hypocritical (known for cheating, yet accuses everyone else of cheating when he loses), a poor sport (even when he's winning by a slight lead, he'll gloat and taunt his opponent, but when he is losing even ever so slightly, he goes in fits of rage), *apparently* a sense of a romantic (Mario Party 8, he pulls out a rose), crass (makes faces at people and....crotch chop), etc.

jigglover

Smash Lord
No unique personality then. For god sake, if I tried and did research I could list 100 characters (I'm not going to) that are exactly like that. Starting with Wario. We don't need two characters with the same personality then.

D

Deleted member

No unique personality then. For god sake, if I tried and did research I could list 100 characters (I'm not going to) that are exactly like that. Starting with Wario. We don't need two characters with the same personality then.
You didn't do research, as Wario is NOT the same.

Yes, Wario is kind of a hateful person, but unlike Waluigi, who spites just about anyone that looks at him funny, Wario is only spiteful to those that cost him treasure (which puts emphasis on Wario's greed, something Waluigi doesn't have), something he has expressed to even Waluigi, who apparently tried to take Wario's treasure for himself at one point.

Hypocritical, Wario has shown NOTHING of the sort. The only times he "cheats" are when he's partnered with Waluigi (gee, I wonder why...?), and when he loses, he doesn't accuse the winner of cheating, but merely insults them and calls them losers (something even translated in Brawl, where he appears to yell out at the winner during the victory screen if he lost).

Egotisitical, yes, Wario has shown plenty of that, however, in a different way. Waluigi is more inclined to downsize everyone else, while Wario is more inclined to show how great he is, and focuses more on "What would benefit Wario?".

Poor sport, Wario isn't nearly as bad as Waluigi. Wario, when he's losing is more emotional about it rather than Waluigi's rage, almost like he's in a state of disbelief. (Compare Wario saying "I give up!" while letting a bomb explode on him when the opposing team scores to Waluigi muttering angrily and punching the camera yelling "CHEESE!" when the opposing team scores in Mario Strikers Charged.) Yes, he does gloat when he's winning, but he is more of the showboat status rather than Waluigi taunting and teasing his opponents (Compare Wario running around with a giant foam finger when he scores to Waluigi throwing the ball at an opposing team member's head saying "Want the ball? Here!" and laughing at them when he scores in Mario Strikers Charged. Also...crotch chop.).

Wario is hardly a romantic, as Wario seems to go by a strict code of money over women. Case in point, at the end of Wario Land Shake It, when Queen Merelda was trying to thank him, Wario grabs her and tosses her aside for the Bottomless Coin Sack. He's even oblivious to Mona's feelings for him.

Wario is crass, yes, but his level of crass typically involves toilet humor, case in point, the WarioWare games.

tl;dr: Wario and Waluigi are SIMILAR, but not the same in personality, and if personality must be exclusive, then we shouldn't have both Falco and Sonic.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I don't know why people like Waluigi and in my personal preferences he's a very unoriginal characters.

1. He looks like the most stereotypical evil character. Really imagine him with a top hat and a black cloak. He looks just like Snidely Whiplash from the Dudley Do-Right cartoon. And Snidely is suppose to be stereotypical.
[Collapse=Snidely Whiplash]
[/collapse]

2. Waluigi is suppose to be Wario's Luigi right? So right there he's based off of another Mario character which makes him unoriginal.

3. What's the worst part is his name. Wario is negative to Mario so they flipped the "M" to make a "W" which is somewhat clever. Well since and upside down "L" doesn't make a letter they add "Wa" to match Wario. Then for some reason his symbol is an upside down "L" anyways.

I mean that's so many bad ideas that its hard for me to respect a character like that.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Well Duh to Geno, He has near to 0 h8ers and I'm sure that more people h8 The pink man-woman Dino then Waluigi.
i "h8" geno... and love that "man-woman dino"... :evil::glare:

oh and master rapier before you get *****, waluigi's name was a japanese pun this is his original name(furuigi) which means weak... i believe? don quote me

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
3. What's the worst part is his name. Wario is negative to Mario so they flipped the "M" to make a "W" which is somewhat clever. Well since and upside down "L" doesn't make a letter they add "Wa" to match Wario. Then for some reason his symbol is an upside down "L" anyways.
Mario Wiki said:
Since Waluigi has the same first two letters of Wario, Waluigi's name may be considered a clunky offshot of Wario's name. Waluigi actually has a complex Japanese etymology with many meanings that refer to Waluigi's personality. In Japanese, the "r" and "l" make the same sound, so Luigi can be pronounced in Japanese as "Ruiji", and Waluigi can be pronounced as as "Waruiji". "Waruiji" is a portmanteau of "warui", the Japanese word for "bad" or "evil", and "Ruiji", making his name literally Eviluigi. Additionally, warui, also means to make a condescending apology, instead of a polite apology, referring to Waluigi's arrogance. "Waruiji" is also an anagram of the Japanese word "ijiwaru" which translates to "someone who is bad" or "mean-spirited"
As for his symbol being an "Γ", I dunno about that. I guess that if they put a "W" or "WL" wouldn't really make sense. I mean, an "Γ" dosen't make sense either, but still.

Also, I agree with Waluigi, the insult for him isn't really needed in the OP name.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
That's nice in Japanese but it fails in English translation. I don't know this for a fact but I would think it would also fail in other languages namely romance ones (Italian, Spanish, French, etc...). I wonder how the rest of the world views Waluigi.

But Birdo has a very strong support in Japan as well. Her absolutely bizzare features and personality makes her very interesting. She's the Tim Curry of the Mario world.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Thank you, Jhonnykiller, since you just said that in japanese, Waluigi means evilluigi. I wonder which character he's based off? Lets see, lets take off the first four letters :O!!! It says Luigi!

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
Pretty original compared to...
"DARK" Pit
"DARK" Samus
"DARK" Meta Knight
"DARK" Link
"DARK" Bowser
etc
Wouldn't you think??
Conclusion Evil opposites are hardly ever original

As for his symbol being an "Γ", I dunno about that. I guess that if they put a "W" or "WL" wouldn't really make sense. I mean, an "Γ" dosen't make sense either, but still.

Also, I agree with Waluigi, the insult for him isn't really needed in the OP name.
Thank you also as unoriginal as it might sound they likely just flipped luigi's L upside down like how warios W is Mario's M flipped

D

Deleted member

"DARK" Pit
"DARK" Samus
"DARK" Meta Knight
"DARK" Link
"DARK" Bowser
etc
Wouldn't you think??
At least with Waluigi, he doesn't necessarily LOOK like his counterpart, but only evil. He at least is very different by being much taller and skinnier.

And to jigglover, who seems to be obsessed with hating on Waluigi by name alone; remember that Wario is no different. He's essentially "evil Mario", or "warui Mario".

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
looked at thread title

lol'd my *** off.

Birdo is not better than waluigi, not by a long shot. Birdo isn't even worthy of being an assist trophy, let alone a playable character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
looked at thread title

lol'd my *** off.

Birdo is not better than waluigi, not by a long shot. Birdo isn't even worthy of being an assist trophy, let alone a playable character.
To be fair, the pixilated SMB2 Birdo would make a nice AT. She/He/It'd shoot eggs, but footstool jumping on them and sending them back can kill her/him/it, but the timing needs to be precise.

That being said, I only see her as an AT, nothing more. Maybe for Smash 13. ;)

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
At least with Waluigi, he doesn't necessarily LOOK like his counterpart, but only evil. He at least is very different by being much taller and skinnier.

And to jigglover, who seems to be obsessed with hating on Waluigi by name alone; remember that Wario is no different. He's essentially "evil Mario", or "warui Mario".
Of course he looks hardly anything like luigi combine that with a vastly different personality IMO he's one of the more original rival/evil clones nintendo has created.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, Jhonnykiller, since you just said that in japanese, Waluigi means evilluigi. I wonder which character he's based off? Lets see, lets take off the first four letters :O!!! It says Luigi!
Don't you say ?
Also, it's "eviluigi" as in, "evi luigi", not "evil luigi".

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
"DARK" Pit
"DARK" Samus
"DARK" Meta Knight
"DARK" Link
"DARK" Bowser
etc
Wouldn't you think??
But all these characters (including Waluigi) are represented as costumes for their respected counter part. As it should be.

I still don't see how any of this shows that Waluigi is better than Birdo. In almost if not all sport games Waluigi has been in Birdo has been there. But Birdo has also been featured in many other games, hosted Japanese commercials, and is featured in many more parody games like "I wanna be the guy".

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
But all these characters (including Waluigi) are represented as costumes for their respected counter part. As it should be.

I still don't see how any of this shows that Waluigi is better than Birdo. In almost if not all sport games Waluigi has been in Birdo has been there. But Birdo has also been featured in many other games, hosted Japanese commercials, and is featured in many more parody games like "I wanna be the guy".
I fail to understand how appearing in more games makes a character better than another one.
By the way, Waluigi's appeared in 36 games and Birdo has appeared in 32.

Anyways, let's stop the Waluigi discussion here, you can go hate on Waluigi somewhere else.
This is a Birdo thread, and should be kept as such.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
lol ok

so wario should ONLY be an alt costume for mario, no more original wario at all, just a complete costume for mario

starting to see where your logic fails master rapier?

waluigi doesn't even LOOk like luigi, only being vaguely similar, all those other said characters look like complete copies of their original version. Dark pit, Dark link, Dark metaknight.

Waluigi and dark samus are both unique enough compared to their counterparts to qualify as an actual character and not a reskin/color of the one they are based on.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Birdo could have a modified move set, like Capt Falcon to Ganondorf, or Marth to Ike/Roy. Could work, and I approve.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I fail to understand how appearing in more games makes a character better than another one.
By the way, Waluigi's appeared in 36 games and Birdo has appeared in 32.

Anyways, let's stop the Waluigi discussion here, you can go hate on Waluigi somewhere else.
This is a Birdo thread, and should be kept as such.
I find the more games one is featured in a series the more popular. Luigi, Peach, and Bowser have been in more games than any other Mario character. And you're right about Waluigi being in more games. It seems like he got into a few more since the last time I counted.

lol ok

so wario should ONLY be an alt costume for mario, no more original wario at all, just a complete costume for mario

starting to see where your logic fails master rapier?

waluigi doesn't even LOOk like luigi, only being vaguely similar, all those other said characters look like complete copies of their original version. Dark pit, Dark link, Dark metaknight.

Waluigi and dark samus are both unique enough compared to their counterparts to qualify as an actual character and not a reskin/color of the one they are based on.
Wario was just a costume for for Mario until Brawl. It wasn't until his Warioware titles came out and he was featured in his biker outfit. That outfit is also his main outfit in Brawl featured in trailers and in SE.

Now I'm going with Jhonnykiller45 and drop the Waluigi arguement. I just don't like it when people come into other threads and start trolling about other character.

Anyways on Birdo I'm curious on how to make two of her moves in Smash.

First the Eggshot. It's her signature move and has to be put in. Now if playable will you be able to ride those eggs and grab them like in Mario 2? Also would randomly a fireball shoot out kinda like Dedede's foreward B throw?

Then I was thinking of adding a kissing attack. As a special she could kiss them which stuns them or should it be just a grapple pummel move?

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Anyways on Birdo I'm curious on how to make two of her moves in Smash.

First the Eggshot. It's her signature move and has to be put in. Now if playable will you be able to ride those eggs and grab them like in Mario 2? Also would randomly a fireball shoot out kinda like Dedede's foreward B throw?

Then I was thinking of adding a kissing attack. As a special she could kiss them which stuns them or should it be just a grapple pummel move?
That'd be pretty interesting.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd rather have Birdo instead of Waluigi if I cannot have my Toad. That's how much I truly dislike the Waa.

D

Deleted member

Now I'm going with Jhonnykiller45 and drop the Waluigi arguement. I just don't like it when people come into other threads and start trolling about other character.
It's actually quite justified, given the title of this thread. :glare:

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
Like golden said the title is the source of ill will to this thread is a simple title change too much to ask??

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, if you're going to fix the title, change then to than. It's been bothering me...

D

Deleted member

Might as well report this thread for instigating problems, then.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
You're really digging birdo's grave deeper & deeper as you change the title.
Still not better than Waluigi, Baby Bros. or Bowser Jr.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You're really digging birdo's grave deeper & deeper as you change the title.
Still not better than Waluigi, Baby Bros. or Bowser Jr.
Implying that Birdo had a shot before this thread. :troll:

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Given Birdo is a guy yet dresses like a girl, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a hole going deeper and deeper ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom