• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bird and Bear: the Banjo-Kazooie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
I would go insane if they were playable in Smash 4. I played there game non-stop as a kid still play the original to this day, (lost Tooie :( )

Also imangine Grunty as an assist trophy such an amazing thing

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I would be all for having my favorite bear and bird in an ssb game but unfortunately that'll never happen as long as microsoft holds the rights to rare which they rudely stole from nintendo years ago.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The bird and bear duo make way too much stupid sense to be in the roster. In fact, it's amazing that they still aren't.

Oh yeah, forgot one. Little. Obnoxious. Problem.

MICRO****.

Last edited:

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
I would LOVE to see Banjo and Kazooie as playable characters. Banjo-Kazzoie is awsome. Too bad it will never happen because microsoft owns then:(. It's even sadder that the franchise is pretty much dead now.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I would LOVE to see Banjo and Kazooie as playable characters. Banjo-Kazzoie is awsome. Too bad it will never happen because microsoft owns then:(. It's even sadder that the franchise is pretty much dead now.
To me, the real Banjo-Kazooie games will always be the ones with rare and nintendo.

D

Deleted member

WHY HAVE I NOT POSTED HERE YET

Put me on that supporters list, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are by far my two favorite games, and they'll always hold a special place in my heart. I know seeing the bear and bird in Smash is a pipe dream at this point, but I'll be damned if I won't be happy if they were to show up.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The greatest third party that will never happen.

Gotta admit seeing Banjo Kazooie in Microsofts hands is really crushing. I think if they'd been allowed to stay with Nintendo both bear and bird would of been added by now.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Banjo had his chance at one point in time, sadly the Microsoft buyout destroyed any chances of that ever happening. Leigh Loveday said on Scribes a few years back that “there were almost a boatload of Rare character trophies in Melee at one point, but it never happened.” Call me crazy, but I bet this is why we don't have a Diddy trophy in Melee, but we have Dixie and K. Rool instead. Diddy's trophy probably had something related to Diddy Kong Racing. Maybe it's some other reason, I dunno.

I'm also positive that if and when Banjo and Kazooie got in Smash Brothers, they wouldn't have been the only representatives. Taking into consideration how long many Banjo games would have happened if Rare had stayed with Nintendo (Threeie, Grunty's Revenge, possible Wii and Wii U games, not counting possible spinoffs) I'd say Mumbo would have been playable. He's the only other character that's been playable in the Banjo games. I could see Grunty getting in IF Banjo somehow deserved three slots, but she also would have made a good boss.

Actually, I think we would have had a lot more characters to look forward to if Rare was never purchased by Microsoft. Looking at the possibilities, I'd say would we have had these characters between Melee and Smash 4-

Donkey Kong
-Dixie or K. Rool probably would have been in by now.

Banjo-Kazooie
- Banjo and Kazooie
- Mumbo Jumbo

Perfect Dark
- Joanna Dark, because we already had the Cloaking Device and Motion Sensor Bomb from the games.

Kameo: Elements of Power
-Kameo, as her game was planned as a Gamecube exclusive.

I could also see a possible Killer Instinct character since Nintendo had renewed the trademark when the Gamecube launched, and maybe some Diddy Kong Racing characters depending on what Rare/Nintendo did with them. Who knows how many great stages and music we could have had from all these games as well.

Conker would probably have never made it in. Conker comes from an M-Rated game. Unlike Metal Gear, CBFD is not "mature" in the slightest and it's impossible to tone down a character like Conker for Smash Brothers. Nintendo would never have wanted Conker alongside characters like Mario or Kirby.

I think we lost quite a bit more in Smash than people realize when Rare was purchased.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Banjo has his chance at one point in time, sadly the Microsoft buyout destroyed any chances of that ever happening. Leigh Loveday said on Scribes a few years back that “there were almost a boatload of Rare character trophies in Melee at one point, but it never happened.” Call me crazy, but I bet this is why we don't have a Diddy trophy in Melee, but we have Dixie and K. Rool instead. Diddy's trophy probably had something related to Diddy Kong Racing. Maybe it's some other reason, I dunno.

I'm also positive that if and when Banjo and Kazooie got in Smash Brothers, they wouldn't have been the only representatives. Taking into consideration how long many Banjo games would have happened if Rare had stayed with Nintendo (Threeie, Grunty's Revenge, possible Wii and Wii U games, not counting possible spinoffs) I'd say Mumbo would have been playable. He's the only other character that's been playable in the Banjo games. I could see Grunty getting in IF Banjo somehow deserved three slots, but she also would have made a good boss.
yep thered probably be support threads for every character in the series

i myself would be heading up the jinjo support thread

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Nuts & Bolts is a good game, but a bad Banjo-Kazooie game. Seriously, the game could have had a different cast of characters and still made sense. I like to keep a small glimmer of hope in the back of my mind that BK will return to Nintendo one day. I think the series would deserve two reps in smash. BK plus Grunty. Spiral mountain as the obvious stage pic, maybe even Grunty's tower. Tons of awesome music, remixed and ported. Mumbo as an AT. An item can be the red feathers which add an extra jump or allow players to somehow glide.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
That doesn't mean we can't support him, we already know they're unlikely. We just cherish them so much.
I hate to say it, but they're realistically impossible at this point.

I was a gigantic BK fan and I was literally praying for their inclusion in melee but I think, at that point, Rare was already in talks to be bought out by MS.

How would BK, characters owned by MS, wind up in SSB4? I doubt Nintendo is anxious to "forgive" Rare in any way, shape or form.

If Nintendo still owned the rights to the franchise, sure, but those went away with Rare's sale.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Why did Microsoft buy them anyway? All they used them for was lame shovelware. Though it probably was just so they could be a d*** to Nintendo and steal away all those IPs.

That's my fanboy thinking at least.

D

Deleted member

Why did Microsoft buy them anyway? All they used them for was lame shovelware. Though it probably was just so they could be a d*** to Nintendo and steal away all those IPs.

I think it was to screw over Nintendo and to get some sort of video game company under their wing when they launch the Xbox. That makes some sense to me as apparently Microsoft thought that they owned the Donkey Kong license for years.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

That and I've also heard from some people that they wanted to own the Donkey Kong franchise but did'nt realize that Nintendo owned DK and all the other characters(including the Kremlings for those who still think is their reason for their absence in the recent DKC games), therefore, the best they got were Banjo-Kazooie and Conker which unfortantley we all know how that turned out with one of them when Microsoft decided to use them for their own game.

Last edited:

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
I hate to say it, but they're realistically impossible at this point.

I was a gigantic BK fan and I was literally praying for their inclusion in melee but I think, at that point, Rare was already in talks to be bought out by MS.

How would BK, characters owned by MS, wind up in SSB4? I doubt Nintendo is anxious to "forgive" Rare in any way, shape or form.

If Nintendo still owned the rights to the franchise, sure, but those went away with Rare's sale.
I aggre with you. Microsoft is not stupid. They would never sell such a famous IP for Nintendo. A Banjo-Theeie would have the potencial to create a big profit, especially because the fans of the series have been waiting for this title for a long time. Give money to Nintendo is not something MS wants.

D

Deleted member

I aggre with you. Microsoft is not stupid. They would never sell such a famous IP for Nintendo. A Banjo-Theeie would have the potencial to create a big profit, especially because the fans of the series have been waiting for this title for a long time. Give money to Nintendo is not something MS wants.
Well, they aren't THAT smart if they haven't made Banjo-Threeie yet.

They know the potential in Rare's IPs and how much people want to see them get revived (like Killer Instinct, I doubt Rare fans would buy an Xbox One if Killer Instinct wasn't on the Xbox One), but they aren't utilizing those IPs to their full potential.

It's a shame too because Banjo belongs on Nintendo consoles. It's a shame that Nintendo didn't put up much of a fight against Microsoft when they bought Rare and they could have tried to get some of Rare's IPs (I'm pretty sure some 1st or 2nd party to Nintendo now would revive Banjo).

Last edited by a moderator:

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiosity is it possible for Nintendo if they wanted to, to buy the Banjo Kazooie IP but not Rare itself ?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Just out of curiosity is it possible for Nintendo if they wanted to, to buy the Banjo Kazooie IP but not Rare itself ?
Well, yeah, but Microsoft would have to be willing to sell it, and I doubt they would.

They seem like the kind of folks that would just be like "NO, IT'S OURS" just because they know another real Banjo-Kazooie game would make Nintendo ****tons of money.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
God, I could only imagine Banjo and Kazooie on Smash :c ****ing Micro$oft!
On another note, Conker in Smash D:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I could type out a novella over why Microsoft is a jerk, but I'll just say this: in a perfect world, Banjo & Kazooie would have been in Brawl instead of Snake. Nothing against Metal Gear, the series just has very little to do with Nintendo outside of occasionally throwing them a bone by releasing a port of a game that already exists on a Sony console. Banjo, and Rare in general, on the other hand, existed exclusively on Nintendo systems and was really good at making classics. I'm sure you all knew that, though.

D

Deleted member

This thread is becaming a Microsoft hate thread lol.
Well… this was a crushed dream caused by them. Banjo is impossible to get into Smash thanks to them buying out Rare and pretty much making them junk now.

Rare isn't worth being bought back. If I were Nintendo, I would buy the Banjo IP, not Rare themselves.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
Well… this was a crushed dream caused by them. Banjo is impossible to get into Smash thanks to them buying out Rare and pretty much making them junk now.

Rare isn't worth being bought back. If I were Nintendo, I would buy the Banjo IP, not Rare themselves.
To be fair, a lot of Rare key employees started to leave the company after 007. If Rare staied with Nintendo, we probably would have Banjo in smash, but Rare just wouldn't be the same.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, a lot of Rare key employees started to leave the company after 007. If Rare staied with Nintendo, we probably would have Banjo in smash, but Rare just wouldn't be the same.
While Rare wouldn't be themselves even still if they stayed, Microsoft still crushed the dream. And while key Rare developers were gone at that point, I still give credit to Microsoft for the "death" of Rare; they haven't been using their IPs and instead have been making sports games that no one cares about.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
While Rare wouldn't be themselves even still if they stayed, Microsoft still crushed the dream. And while key Rare developers were gone at that point, I still give credit to Microsoft for the "death" of Rare; they haven't been using their IPs and instead have been making sports games that no one cares about.
That's because none of rare's old IPs sold well enough to motivate MS to keep using them. The Kinect games sold very well, and that's why Rare keeps making them.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I could type out a novella over why Microsoft is a jerk, but I'll just say this: in a perfect world, Banjo & Kazooie would have been in Brawl instead of Snake. Nothing against Metal Gear, the series just has very little to do with Nintendo outside of occasionally throwing them a bone by releasing a port of a game that already exists on a Sony console. Banjo, and Rare in general, on the other hand, existed exclusively on Nintendo systems and was really good at making classics. I'm sure you all knew that, though.
Solid Snake is a character that dates to the NES era but his game on the system is just a port of the one on the old MSX computer system called simply "Metal Gear". My point is that he predates the "solid" series that came out in the PlayStation 1 era.

To get back on topic a good chunk of the old guard was still there until MS laid the last of them off to make Rare focus on dumb Kinect games instead of things like Kameo: Elements of Power and Viva Piñata.(both pretty good post Nintendo titles from what I hear)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just the news of Microsoft selling Banjo back to Nintendo, along with the Bear and Bird being in Smash would make be cry as heavily as Ukraine. I'm very serious, it would make me cry up a storm in glee because my childhood would return if that were to happen.

Hawki

Smash Cadet
At the moment, it's really about business perspective from both companies. Both companies aim to appeal to the 'fanboy' audience a large percentage of the time for profit, (though Nintendo seems to be sidetracking from that notion recently but that's another area for discussion). Anyway, if both parties can see benefit in working together for the sake of a profit on their own behalf, usually a collaboration will occur.

In this scenario unfortunately (and I'm just speculating here) Microsoft knows that they've killed, or at least are killing, the Banjo series, especially after nuts and Bolts. Therefore if Banjo was included, Microsoft would be making a decent amount of money from their ownership rights on each sale, and they would initially receive money from Nintendo for permission to enter him into the roster. Nintendo on the other hand, would hardly profit at all, they would pay out of pocket for the inclusion of the character and enable Microsoft to keep the banjo market alive on their platform. The inclusion of Banjo I also think would hardly increase sales of smash 4 for Nintendo. Hence, from a business perspective, Including Banjo would not be a good decision from Nintendo.

as for the other already included 3rd party characters (snake and sonic), Sega went out of the console market years ago and are now releasing exclusive to Nintendo and supposedly Sakurai is friends with someone on the metal gear solid team and has been a fan of Sony himself for years, he even recently featured in an article praising the Sony PS4 )

That said though, the inner fan boy in me is screaming for the inclusion of the beloved bear and bird duo and i would be COMPLETELY over the moon if it happened:)

Last edited:

BanjoK&MarioBros

Smash Cadet
But WHAT IF Nintendo made a deal with Microsoft and BK is going to be in smash? Microsoft would only win on that tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom