• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Biggest Upset of All Time?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
anyone who thought that Armada's "upset" at Genesis was being wayyy too cocky about European skill.

I'll divide this into pre-mango and mango era lolol. (Winner is shown first)

Doubles:

Old: Azen and Chillindude829 v. Ken/Isai

New(er): Mango/Lucky v. Ken/Isai

Singles:

Old: PC Chris v. Ken, Chillin v Ken, Kage v Mango

New: Mango v M2K

Special categories:
Biggest comeback/upset (in that sense :p): Amsah v. Ek
Biggest crew upset: EC v. WC at FC3
How the heck was FC3 crews an upset? EC obviously had that **** >_>

Beat!

Smash Master
Armada at Genesis

I don't care what Armada **********s say

We just didn't ****ing know

So it's okay to call it an upset...
So if Hbox goes to europe and beats the crap out of everyone, it's ok to call it an upset if you're an ignorant european who didn't know about his previous accomplishments?

Mizar

Smash Ace
So if Hbox goes to europe and beats the crap out of everyone, it's ok to call it an upset if you're an ignorant european who didn't know about his previous accomplishments?
Correct, because according to the PAL list, there isn't a single NTSC player in the ranking.
And please don't say it doesn't make a difference. I WILL cry more.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
hbox has already beaten them, so it wouldnt be surprising, therefore not an upset

i said it after genesis and i'll say it again now, that wasnt the first time europe came to the US, and europe was always way behind our top players in the past, it wasnt a stretch to expect them to still be behind

armada beating m2k and a set of mango was an upset

the whole tourney of evo 2007

drephen vs m2k at vls in nov 2007

Armada

Smash Lord
BigD: First time one of the really best was over there.
Nobbs dosen´t counts.

The only top player from Europe (before Genesis) how went to US was Helios.
And if i remeber right he played really close with m2k/Darkrain and did kinda good job.

And Helios actually had no chance (and with no chance i mean no chance) to beat EK (he was WAY better) back then.

So "way better" is not true (ok the community overall was and still are much better but the best player/players is not that far away).

Slhoka

Smash Lord
BigD: First time one of the really best was over there.
Nobbs dosen´t counts.

The only top player from Europe (before Genesis) how went to US was Helios.
And if i remeber right he played really close with m2k/Darkrain and did kinda good job.

And Helios actually had no chance (and with no chance i mean no chance) to beat EK (he was WAY better) back then.

So "way better" is not true (ok the community overall was and still are much better but the best player/players is not that far away).
Actually, a few more players attended went to the US before Genesis.
At 0C2, Joanna Dark and Doraki attended. JD screwed up in pools, and Doraki placed 33rd, losing to Helios in LB (lol seeding). But while they were among the best French players, they were quite far from the European top.
Jeffzor, Utto and Mr Silver also attended tournaments over there, but they were also far frop the top.

So yeah, Armada was the first top european player to attend an American tournament. While in the US, you were surprised by his one-hit-away-from-first place... in Europe, most of us expected him to be at least in the top 5. So it was only a regional upset. A crazy one, that is ;)

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
i said it after genesis and i'll say it again now, that wasnt the first time europe came to the US, and europe was always way behind our top players in the past, it wasnt a stretch to expect them to still be behind
youre saying ALWAYS, yet the time between genesis and a us/eu meeting prior to genesis was extremly long AND noone in the us had ever played amsah or ek?
youre a ****ing joke, and a ******.

Armada

Smash Lord
Slhoka: Yeah now when you are saying that i remeber.

But still they wasn´t close the top level in Europe.
No one (not even Helios) was close to Ek/Amsah level back then.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Helios was lower than Wes' skill level while he was over here and that was not a time where Wes was a top level player anymore iirc.

No offense to Helios or Wes. They were both far better than I was at the time.

TheLake

Smash Master
Cosmo winning with zelda <3

kage beating mango

axe like...hounding at appex

fly beating hbox

and thelake almost beating players but not actually doing so

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
he still plays but he lives in minnesota, a billion hours from everything

he also had already been playing for like 4 or 5 years when he beat scar, its not like he was some new kid with unfulfilled potential

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hbox

you can trap young link if you stay under him, at least on fd. armada was relying on bombs as his only tool, so he had to jump over but u kept trying to approach from above which is i guess your style.

in the case that that matchup EVER happens again, just do your best to stay close, and stay beneath, cuz what goes up must come down. even if he comes down with dair or whatever, puff is always good at punishing landings if shes in the right position.

u got this

Top Bottom