• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BF/DL Gordo Kill Set Up

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7I34Ze55M

So I've been labbing this kill set up for a bit and I've gotten it to work on multiple occassions. Got a few examples of them working here in actual matches on BF. Seems that when from the top platform you slip the Gordo just past the ledge and snipe more often than not it actually hits the back side of the opponents hurt box and sends them up to you to the top platform for a variety of follow ups for kills.

Been labbing some %s on when kill follow ups land on some characters we'll take Luigi for example on Dreamland.

Utilt SS KOs at 90% (Gordo hits first so it's generally between 9 - 12%) covering DI/Vectoring towards and DI down. Usmash will KO Luigi with DI away or towards at 55%. Helps to jump cancel for DI away, or higher % turn around Usmash for DI towards. Fsmash works against DI away at 85% which is hilarious to see. Full Jump Uair covers DI up as well as DI away

Nair covers DI towards but since Utilt also covers DI down generally better option imo. All of these numbers are approximate given how stale your moves are and how much rage you have. These numbers were tested without rage/staleness

Curious as to what you guys might think of this. Maybe give it a shot and go for it as a mix up every now and again? This mediocre pick needs every last thing he can get and I'm really starting to feel like this is legit.

Last edited:

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Obviously seems situational, but like you said, the King needs anything he can get. Will try to lab a bit and see if I catch anything new. Good find!

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Obviously seems situational, but like you said, the King needs anything he can get. Will try to lab a bit and see if I catch anything new. Good find!
Definitely situational, but what I found is that even if you land the Gordo in the front of them it still moves the situation back into a ledge guard. Sometimes it can catch people a bit low below the ledge and when the opponent DI/Vectors towards the stage can force a tech.

Either way it seems if you land the Gordo you're put in a good position no matter which direction they're sent. I've yet to suffer any real punishment for attempting this and missing considering it's difficult to get on the stage and rush down DDD at the top platform, so it's not that unsafe or anything.

Anything you guys can find and input on I'd appreciate. A few DDDs have told me fatter characters who DI towards the stage get hit by the Gordo twice and get out of it, but still they're getting hit by Gordo twice taking anywhere from 18 - 24% damage just to avoid the set up.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
So that's the standard Gordo toss, right? Not angling it down?

This is some nice stuff. Personally I've always felt that BF/DL weren't as bad for Dedede as we thought just because it offers different ways to use the Gordo. I'll have to keep this in mind next time I play a game here.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
So that's the standard Gordo toss, right? Not angling it down?

This is some nice stuff. Personally I've always felt that BF/DL weren't as bad for Dedede as we thought just because it offers different ways to use the Gordo. I'll have to keep this in mind next time I play a game here.
It's the standard toss yes, but depending on where you stand on the platform you could probaby down Gordo to slip past the ledge. I haven't actually tested that yet..... I should.

D

Deleted member

This looks seriously fantastic, props on you. Situational, but still fantastic nonetheless. Now the question begs if I'd be able to do this on a stage like Smashville or Town and City.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
This looks seriously fantastic, props on you. Situational, but still fantastic nonetheless. Now the question begs if I'd be able to do this on a stage like Smashville or Town and City.
Essentially this works with or without platforms as long as you recognize which side of them is hit, or simply read it/believe in it and go for a follow up. It's like knocking people into Gordo and spacing correctly to have time to move into position to follow up with an aerial. Which I do a lot in my videos.

So basically yeah if lower %s you hit someone on the smashville platform (I've done this multiple times) and they're knocked into you, you can punish with a slew of options most likely going to be something like utilt,Usmash,Dsmash.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Very cooI, but definitely very situational. I don't see a good player hardly ever getting hit by a gordo coming from that far away...or recovering right into the gordo like that. But cool nonetheless and good to know.

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Very cooI, but definitely very situational. I don't see a good player hardly ever getting hit by a gordo coming from that far away...or recovering right into the gordo like that. But cool nonetheless and good to know.
Seeing as how in this situation you're generally going to be recovering back to stage and have burned your air jump (Match up dependent). If you reflect/air dodge instead of clipping to the ledge anyone with a weak up B is going to be in a very, very bad position. If Gordo misses, most scenarios you'll have time to set up a Gordo trap for ledge guard. I'm not going to pretend this is something super crazy and it's going to change the character, but it's not something you'll "probably never get on a good player"

Another interesting thing to note, is that if you set it up to bounce off the very edge of the stage instead of slipping past the ledge the stages floor is often out of the camera angle, keeping your opponent guessing whether or not your slipping it past or not and has made a difference in how I use this in my games.

Where you stand on the platform when you toss Gordo (you know spacing) is really the biggest thing with this. Standing at the very edge of a platform you can get it passed the ledge with a tilted Gordo which mixes up the timing a bit.

And really the thing that gave me the idea for this was watching Atomsk vs DKWill at Hitbox Arena awhile back. He sniped with the Gordo slipping it passed the ledge like this. Not on platforms or anything, but he used it successfully to ledge guard Will.

Last edited:

BulgeTremmor

Smash Rookie
This is exactly what Dedede needs. Let's just hope this doesn't see too much exposure lest we get him nerfed.

Aki

Smash Cadet
NNID
Im_Aki
3DS FC
1306-5844-3434
Definitely a nice find. I hate BF as Dedede so this something that could help.

Nice stuff, Girth. What kind of Gordo toss is this - tilted or smashed?
There is a difference?

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Definitely a nice find. I hate BF as Dedede so this something that could help.

There is a difference?
Actually yes, and it's surprisingly significant. Try a smashed FGordo, note how far it goes. Then do a tilted FGordo - a totally different path, slower, bounces more, doesn't go as far. Huge when you need to snipe something/threaten short characters/get the edge trap right.

Aki

Smash Cadet
NNID
Im_Aki
3DS FC
1306-5844-3434
Actually yes, and it's surprisingly significant. Try a smashed FGordo, note how far it goes. Then do a tilted FGordo - a totally different path, slower, bounces more, doesn't go as far. Huge when you need to snipe something/threaten short characters/get the edge trap right.
I've been playing Dedede for almost a year and never noticed that. It's not that significant but I can see how it can tip the scale in really extreme scenarios. Does it affect the knockback at all?

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I've been playing Dedede for almost a year and never noticed that. It's not that significant but I can see how it can tip the scale in really extreme scenarios. Does it affect the knockback at all?
Lol no change on knockback/damage. But when using Gordos more as an aerial option, it massively affects their trajectory, which is huge. Try comparing a UGordo smashed, then tilted - huge difference! I've been thinking of making a short video that highlights when to use what.

Top Bottom