• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Zelda on Smashboards?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I watched some vids. A good sample, 3-4 vids, of each name I've seen.

Aeyr is definitely my nominee.

popsofctown. . . I don't get it. Your style seems so defenseless. . . yet DanGR struggles to hit you. Either pops is beyond my comprehension, or you're stuck in a metagame valley with each other.

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
I dunno if this is much of a big deal with other characters...but why is everyone insistent upon "nominating" people as "best" Zelda?

I honestly don't think it's necessary to go so far as to literally place a player above everyone else...I don't see how that's beneficial or conducive to anything other than making people really angry/jealous. I mean, sure, I can understand the competitive ideals of wanting to become a better player or being recognized as a great player...but actually crowning/appointing someone as the best Zelda is just...to be honest, really childish. It'll only put down other players while boosting the egos of others...and that is really never a good thing.

Like I said before, people have already been mentioned and players have already been recognized for their skill...that alone should really be enough.

I dunno...maybe what I'm saying is completely pointless because I'm mainly speaking from my own opinion...and I'm pretty sure most of you will continue nominating and debating regardless of whether or not you read this...But I just wanted to put my two cents in.

Recognition alone should be enough...trying to nominate someone just becomes a power struggle that causes way too much unnecessary animosity...granted I'm not saying we should all be buddy buddy and happy-go-lucky...but we should not be trying to make enemies of each other either...friendly rivalries, sure, those are always fun and entertaining and always gives equal recognition to each player...but I don't see that happening if everyone's trying to usurp each other for the throne of the best princess player here.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Alright, first of all we have to get something out of the way, and that is no matter how competitive this game may be, it is still a game.

What I actually find to be "childish" is the cocky attitude of people (off-topic) but that is something that will never ever change. As for someone nominating someone else is truly dumb and you are right, it will do nothing but boost the egos of other while lowering the self-esteem of those who deep inside would at least like to be recognized and will lead to nothing but pointless arguments, at least that's how most end up.

I believe DarkMusician said a few pages back he would let the videos do "the talking". Coming from personal opinion I disagree with that as well. No video do talking to me for a bunch of different reasons (was it a bad match up? was your opponent perhaps not feeling well? did you just get lucky? etc...) and would be best to confirm things first hand. Sure I have a lot of videos showing my Zelda (most of them kind of old) and I even call them "epic" because that's how they felt when I played them but they're just there so my friends can watch it or for anyone who's really bored and just feels like watching random brawl videos and well, that's really about it...

Here, I've decided, just for the heck of it after reading this thread, to do an online tournament of nothing but Zelda players to see who at least can be decent with her:

http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=1571

Yes, obviously it is Online and will be going on this Saturday, I hope there's at least a few people to see if there's someone worthy out there who could give Zelda a good name. I you can't or don't play Wi-Fi, then that's too bad, it's just there for the heck of it of those who can.

FinalKai

Smash Apprentice
Home: New Jersey, College: USC (Los Angeles)
Don’t get me wrong here….a Zelda ditto tournament is counterproductive and, honestly, contradictory to what I am saying, especially if you have wifi latency involved. For me at least…a wifi tournament is just another way to determine a “best Zelda” in an unreliable medium. You say you'd like to experience the fight first hand...but I personaly don't think online matches can be considered first hand.

What I actually find to be "childish" is the cocky attitude of people (off-topic) but that is something that will never ever change.
In regards to the childish behavior, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying. I’m referring just to the act of everyone trying to usurp each other for the “crown”…that alone turns into a game that really has and really shouldn’t have anything to do with Brawl as a whole.

What I mean by this is that as Zelda mainers we should be promoting Zelda herself as a great fighter and character in the game rather than promoting ourselves as great Zeldas within our community…I feel like that might just ruin Zelda’s potency as a character, especially if all we are doing is ditto matches. Granted, I don’t think it’ll ever get that extreme (or atleast I hope it won’t)…but it’s still counterproductive

In the case of people acting cocky that’s something that’ll never change, as you said. But you did mention that you called your videos “epic”…and although I can understand that on a personal standpoint it may have seemed epic or amazing to you at the time it can certainly come off as cocky to some, and can't really be considered plausible grounds for rashly criticizing another person's playing...

Whether or not you're actually at fault for this…I dunno, I can’t exactly read your mind….so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it was something personal that you felt like exaggerating.

I believe DarkMusician said a few pages back he would let the videos do "the talking". Coming from personal opinion I disagree with that as well.
Now as for letting videos do that talking, I think that Ryoko's point of 'overzealous video production' is correct, cause in the case of 'combo videos' and such, they don’t completely show a players ability...

Match videos however tell a whole lot I think. I mean, sure…everyone has their bad days, but with enough videos you will be able to see consistent things about people's playstyles and ability.

If any videos are to be used as a way to become recognized as a great player I think match videos, specifically tournament match videos, are most likely still the only reliable way to receive such recognition.

Case in point: most of those who have been mentioned as great Zelda players have achieved recognition because they have plenty of videos that showcase their styles…and their video channels get a lot of traffic…but I’ve rarely seen any one of these people talking big and or speaking negatively and failing to measure up to what they say...most of them are humble and let the people that watch their videos formulate their own opinion.

Besides, in general I think speaking negatively and failing to produce any constructive and helpful criticism isn’t very conducive to establishing one’s own self as a recognizably great player.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I prefer to play people in person…regardless of whether I win or lose I can discern for myself if I am a great player or not. I avoid trying to compare myself to videos of another player, of course I can recognize a good player when I see one….but I’m never adamant about my ability to beat them or to provide a sufficient challenge for them unless I play them in person.

I seemed to have deviated quite a bit from what I really want to say and what I have said before which is…I believe recognition as a great player is something that should be strived for…and not the crown for “best” player with a certain character.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
popsofctown. . . I don't get it. Your style seems so defenseless. . . yet DanGR struggles to hit you. Either pops is beyond my comprehension, or you're stuck in a metagame valley with each other.
I've wondered myself the exact same thing. >_>

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
about the tournament thing... i think the whole point is that it's fun and does not necessarily mean at all (being a ditto tourney) that the winner is the best zelda.

everyone here takes things so seriously. i mean, there is a lot of seriousness to be had (more than outsiders think. outsiders: you know, the people who get pissed when you turn items off :p... etc)... but it's not the kind of seriousness that should entail drama. sure, there probably IS a "best zelda", and we're probably not going to find him/her through means of a tourney or by debating or watching specifically picked and recorded matches. without having complete and utter knowledge of every zelda main's zelda (which can not really be had, anyway), the only way to get a fairly accurate answer is through tourneys (NOT ditto tourneys). please take note of the "s" at the end of tourney. the more tourneys, the more accurate our view can be.

but at the same time, what's the point of rejecting this ditto tourney for being inaccurate? everyone understands that since it's both an ONLINE tourney and a DITTO tourney that taking 1st place is really just a personal confidence booster. whether you win or lose, it really doesn't mean THAT much (i mean, SURE, you could do with some practice against zelda, but the only results that actually matter are from tourneys of variation), so you should just have fun.

anyway, what i'm TRYING to say is that we aren't going to find the best zelda any time soon, and it isn't going to be through debating over a thread, but over careful analyzation of tourney results over a LONG period of time. but also that the ditto tourney should be pretty fun, though it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
I think I am going to unsubscribe to this thread soon... It is getting out of hand >.<

Clearly the tournament still stands. Obviously nothing any of you will say will get it cancelled, not to say that is your intention at all. The tournament was not created in order to find the best Zelda, as cleverly stated previously.

It is likely we won't find the best Zelda. There is almost no reason to, but who knows, it could happen, and it would jsut be nice to know. There is no reason to keep arguing about it, so I think that this thread should be officially DEAD.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
FinalKai, sorry if you misunderstood my concept. I know this little tournament obviously won't find who the truly best Zelda, because I know really great ones won't be able to participate, I know some of the matches will contain lag affecting how the players perform and I KNOW whoever the winner is will simply prove that person is better at THAT match up. So my point exactly here is to try an narrow, to try and separate those who are decent from those not-so-good.

As for videos doing the talking, I still disagree on all that but it is a personal opinion, you do not need to counter whatever I say on the topic.

I wish luck to all Zelda players, as I am one too.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
lol it's all good. As I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But wether videos are worth anything or not, is a whole different topic really. There's so much more I could go into but that would be too big of a tangent. If anyone has anything to talk about regarding videos PM me.

And yes to clarify when I said videos do the talking, I meant actual matches. Preferably tournament matches. My combo videos of the past and my montages of the present are for fun and entertainment.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
lol it's all good. As I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But wether videos are worth anything or not, is a whole different topic really. There's so much more I could go into but that would be too big of a tangent. If anyone has anything to talk about regarding videos PM me.

And yes to clarify when I said videos do the talking, I meant actual matches. Preferably tournament matches. My combo videos of the past and my montages of the present are for fun and entertainment.
Well I wasn't saying you are bad on those videos or anything, you look pretty decent, but yeah, it's quite of an off-topic matter, I was actually talking about videos in general, even my own.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
Can someone please explain to me how watching a match video on youtube is different in any way whatsoever from standing behind two people spectating their match?

Given a sample size of matches over a given period of time the law of averages will show what people's playing ability is through what they do well, what they do poorly, and how well they can react to different opponents.

I don't see how spectating matches in person is any different from spectating match videos on youtube, it's not like people edit their match videos.

I don't get the difference of the in person thing at all.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Can someone please explain to me how watching a match video on youtube is different in any way whatsoever from standing behind two people spectating their match?

Given a sample size of matches over a given period of time the law of averages will show what people's playing ability is through what they do well, what they do poorly, and how well they can react to different opponents.

I don't see how spectating matches in person is any different from spectating match videos on youtube, it's not like people edit their match videos.

I don't get the difference of the in person thing at all.
And we're talking about this, why? I said it was nothing but my personal opinion, not to mention off-topic.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
Whether you choose to discredit videos is your perogative and your business and your opinion. The thread had already derailed to this topic. I can start a new one if this is that inappropriate.

Again I ask anyone and everyone.

what's the difference between spectating a match in person as opposed to on youtube unaltered?

Is there any information that can be obtained from watching the match in person that can't be obtained from the same match recorded and uploaded?

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Well you did bring up the off-topic topic. Final Kai kinda mentioned something then you again. Just one of those things. lolz I said to take it to PMs but what can you do? :]

And to answer Naks question. I like recorded matches. Gives us a chance to see players play at the highest levels for the highest stakes.

As Gimpyfish once told me, videos are really great to watch. If you know how to watch them.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Agreed. I don't find any meaning to this topic as of now, how about we say what Darkmusician said and wait a year or two before bringing it up again?

(off topic)
@Darkmusician: The Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl are two of my most favorite anime characters as well =).
(/off topic)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I ALWAYS play magic users... in every game... part of the reason why I love Zelda... and a reason I NEVER played dungeons and Dragons (spellcasters sucked and were boring)

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
I'd like to face someone on Wi-fi so I can see how my Zelda and my other mains fare against another Zelda and other mains :laugh:

Of course playing on Wi-fi isn't the best choice, but I think this could help me to improve a little bit :).

My friend code is 2320-7066-5833 :bee:

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
I'd like to face someone on Wi-fi so I can see how my Zelda and my other mains fare against another Zelda and other mains :laugh:

Of course playing on Wi-fi isn't the best choice, but I think this could help me to improve a little bit :).

I'd be glad to play you, just get online on AIM.

@Darkmusician: Spellcasters rule, Dark Paladin ftw.

Darkmusician

Smash Master

You can AIM me whenevers.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Sonic, PM me your AIM, I want to face all Zelda mainers around, lol.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sonic, PM me your AIM, I want to face all Zelda mainers around, lol.
I PMd you so get back to me when you can.

I have a full time job and such... so don't expect me to get to you midday ('cept wekends and holidays)

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
I'd want to Brawl anyone too... just to test out my skill level... I use FF Beta or PM me for AIM.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
Hey, at least is better than pointlessly arguing on who's better at stuff...
says the 'cocky' person that undermines other players in an argumentative tone. lol

I thought you wanted this thread to stop, and then you get in someone's face for making a harmless AIM joke.

sorry for being so blunt about it but it's pretty clear cut.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
says the 'cocky' person that undermines other players in an argumentative tone. lol

I thought you wanted this thread to stop, and then you get in someone's face for making a harmless AIM joke.

sorry for being so blunt about it but it's pretty clear cut.
Um, why can't we all be friendly? My post had nothing insulting in it...
And um, cocky? I think you got the wrong person here. I've played many people from this board at Zelda mirrors, you can ask them whether I'm cocky or not, I'm 100% I aren't.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I posted about four pages back expecting this thread to die horribly.

I posted as a joke. hahaha we laugh, we cried, we ate cake, even though it was a lie.

Seriously plz I know there are much better players than Aeyr, he thinks it's Ryoko with his tricky shiek and Dtilt chasing Zelda, but seriously this topic does nothing for the boards.

-ai-
Sorry to bypass your post but I think this should just stop since no one can be compared b/c of their locations around the US and else where.

Let the best Zelda be the one in your mind and leave it at that.

-Ai-

Smash Cadet
I posted about four pages back expecting this thread to die horribly.

I posted as a joke. hahaha we laugh, we cried, we ate cake, even though it was a lie.

Seriously plz I know there are much better players than Aeyr, he thinks it's Ryoko with his tricky shiek and Dtilt chasing Zelda, but seriously this topic does nothing for the boards.

-ai-
Sorry to bypass your post but I think this should just stop since no one can be compared b/c of their locations around the US and else where.

Let the best Zelda be the one in your mind and leave it at that.

I see, Will do. Sorry for teh time.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Kawn

Kawn

Kawn

...Kawn? Consider him lolz he was one of the best in Melee but was never that big. Pretty much the same happening in Brawl now.

Top Bottom