• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best ways to get better besides going to tournaments?

Psyf3rn

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheTeoSaur29
I'm relatively new to competitive Smash, and I'm trying to improve. However I'm in middle school at the moment and since there isn't a competitive smash scene where I live there aren't any tournaments in my area, and I don't have a way of going to tournaments in other places. So I'm wondering if there is a way to learn all or most of the things I would learn if I went to tournaments, but instead online or by myself (Besides For Glory, that's definitely not a way to do this). So, in other words, where would I be able to get better at reading my opponent or playing better under pressure? Less of learning tech skill or counterpicks (those I could learn on my own) and more learning how to apply said tech skill and also basic things like spot dodging through playing against people who know what they are doing (this is what I would do during tournaments pretty much). If you have suggestions, let me know! Also, if this post is in the wrong place I'm sorry.

Last edited:

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
Try anther's ladder or some type of online ladder, it's the best way to play with really good players online or just people in general.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If you live in New Jersey, you're close to a scene; you just haven't found them yet. There are plenty of people in that kind of situation, and the answer boils down to "play your friends, play online, age so you can go to tournaments". In your case though, you live in a very small and very densely populated state with a very large tournament scene; you should be able to find something that requires minimal travel.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I'm actually really jealous of people who live in the NJ because the scene there seems huge with some top players living in that area.

That being said, the way I got better was not missing a single big tournament stream and always watching what pro players do and see what works out, and then try to do the same until I get it right. That, plus practicing a lot, and you'll eventually get better, guaranteed.

Also, always go to training to warm up some stuff and always be on top, as a Sheik main I go to training almost everyday for a bit so that I don't rust out.

Psyf3rn

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheTeoSaur29
I'll try Anthers ladder, it seems cool. Also, I know NJ has many tournaments, but my town has no idea what competitive Smash Bros. is. I guess I'll try to find a scene relatively close. I may even try to start a scene in my town. I have some friends that like Smash 4, I could teach them competitive Smash and maybe start a tournament. It's a possibility. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Last edited:

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
Yeah introduce your friends to competitive smash, having regular sessions at someone's place, sharing cool stuff (videos, guides, etc) over the internet and finding ways to have fun while trying to get better at the game are great and easy ways to build a solid local scene.
Online is fine but playing it has too great of a chance to curse you with bad habits and frustration, use it to try out stuff and remember what i feels like to play a human being, not to actually test your skill.
And training mode, you can alway find out new stuff in the lab and at worse messing around there will strenghten your execution. Never underestimate all the stuff you can do by yourself, M2K and Armada are great exemples of players that became great at the game by putting a lot of time and effort playing alone.

Psyf3rn

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheTeoSaur29
Yeah introduce your friends to competitive smash, having regular sessions at someone's place, sharing cool stuff (videos, guides, etc) over the internet and finding ways to have fun while trying to get better at the game are great and easy ways to build a solid local scene.
Online is fine but playing it has too great of a chance to curse you with bad habits and frustration, use it to try out stuff and remember what i feels like to play a human being, not to actually test your skill.
And training mode, you can alway find out new stuff in the lab and at worse messing around there will strenghten your execution. Never underestimate all the stuff you can do by yourself, M2K and Armada are great exemples of players that became great at the game by putting a lot of time and effort playing alone.
Yeah, I only play online with people I know are experienced. I never use For Glory except for messing around. I have a YouTube with nothing there, so I could upload Smash 4 vids. I have a friend who plays CSGO and he just uploads weird/crazy stuff that happens to him when he plays the game, so I might do something similar to that but instead upload full matches and cool things I find in the lab. There is also an after school program at my school where they do homework/play games and I saw them play Smash 4 once and they were having fun. I'll probably try to get them interested too!

Psyf3rn

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheTeoSaur29
Another thing, is having a Skype necessary when playing online with people (not including Smash Ladder)? Or is it possible to just play without communication like that? I'm really curious. I probably just forgot something, but still let me know.

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
There is also an after school program at my school where they do homework/play games and I saw them play Smash 4 once and they were having fun. I'll probably try to get them interested too!
Way to go! Actually each time you see someone playing you should try and get to play with them and maybe introduce them to the competitive side of smash.

As for the youtube thing it's actually a great thing to do if you have the time to as it'll allow you to post videos here and get some critique, that's another way to get better at the game.

Cougar Hunter

Smash Rookie
Another thing, is having a Skype necessary when playing online with people (not including Smash Ladder)? Or is it possible to just play without communication like that? I'm really curious. I probably just forgot something, but still let me know.
when playing friendlies w random nnid friends i dont use communication

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
OMG GIRL IF YOU WANT TO PLAY ME ADD ME ON SKYPE X0X0X0X0X0
I'm always up for a game!

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
I've found the best way to get good in Smash 4 very quickly is to make a pact with a lesser daemon. Warning: will drive you irreparably mad, but your game will be on point.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
It's best to play with skype,so that you have an updated conversation into what's going in in real time. It'll be better than the Nintendo mic cause you can talk at all times. In league, it really helps win games cause you can let your teammate know information that they need to know with a specific MU, so I can't see it doing too much less in smash4

Top Bottom