• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to start?

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
I have the game, a controller, a CRT, and a Wii. What is the best way to train. I mainly focused on Smash 4 but I wanna get good at Melee. What is the best way to start training?

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Pick a character you like playing, practice tech like L-canceling, Wavedashing, SHFFL, crouch canceling and also basic techniques like Short Hopping.Also since you have a Wii you could hack it and get the 20XX training hack pack. Also remember to watch a lot of videos of your character used in competitive matches.

Derekgg

Smash Rookie
I would say open up a training game and get used to actions as a whole; being able to think of a move and execute it perfectly every time (wavedashes, short hops, L-cancels, etc.) is extremely vital to getting anywhere in melee. This could mean dedicating a solid half-hour to a specific string of moves such as short hop->neutral air->fast fall->L-cancel.

StokeTheForge

Smash Cadet
Only play against real people. DO NOT FOR ANY REASON FIGHT AGAINST BOTS, as you will condemn yourself to a life of learning false smash DI.
Of course, training your movement skills like Wavedash and SHFFL in matches with bots is harmless.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
I suggest picking a character that is A-tier or higher. Decide how much tech skill you're willing to learn. If you don't want to train for years learning an insane amount of tech skill, I suggest not picking Fox or Falco as your main. No matter what character you choose though, it's going to be difficult to get good at Melee as Melee is one of the hardest competitive games. But some characters such as Marth, Jigglypuff, and Sheik are relatively a lot easier to learn.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
For characters to learn tech off of, start off with easy characters like Marth and Mario (IMO they're the two easiest characters to learn basic tech, like wave-dashing/landing and L-cancelling. They're also the two most fundamental characters.)

For characters to main, I'd say play anyone you'd like. Try all the characters and pick the one that you have the most fun/best with)

I don't seriously recommend maining anything below S-tier (They're still technically viable, but there's a lot of misconceptions about mid-tiers at this point in the meta and stuff, so they're all risky to main, especially Pikachu, Yoshi, Mario/Doc and Ganon)

Top Bottom