• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to practice shielding?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
(note: I welcome a redirection to another thread that may have already touched on something similar).

I've always played smash casually, and therefore never really bothered to practice basic fundamentals, like shielding. I air dodge, and roll when necessary, but find myself getting caught in combos, or getting hit by projectiles that I shouldn't be, because I never practiced shielding.

So my question to you guys is, is there a good way to practice this, i.g. tips/tricks, or a button layout that makes it easier for you to shield.. etc.

I understand this seems like obvious and a scrub question, but I haven't played since melee, and like I mentioned, always casually.​

Last edited:

safwaners

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2122-8841-3090
I'd say to go fight with a lvl 9 that can hit quickly (Sonic, Fox etc.) and make the game go by time. Try and see how long you can last without getting hit once.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I'd say to go fight with a lvl 9 that can hit quickly (Sonic, Fox etc.) and make the game go by time. Try and see how long you can last without getting hit once.
I like that idea, I'll have to try it.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
If anything, make sure you play off-line to practice.

Or try this:

- Have a friend play Falco.
- Play whatever character you like. (Marth I presume)
- Play on an Omega stage or FD. (Final Destination)
- Let Falco stand on one side of the stage, while you stand on the other side.
- Falco can only fire lasers and can't move.
- You can only walk, run, and/or shield. (No crouching, jumping, or dodging to avoid lasers)

The fastest way to get to Falco is to dash, then perfect shield the laser, then dash, etc. Rinse and repeat until you make it multiple times without getting hit.

The point of this is for you to reach Falco as fast as you can without getting hit. This will help you with perfect shielding and your approach game against projectiles. This is extremely helpful for characters who don't have projectiles, like Marth.

You can mix this up if your friend plays anyone else with projectiles, most notably Samus, Link, and Toon Link.

Good luck!

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
If anything, make sure you play off-line to practice.

Or try this:

- Have a friend play Falco.
- Play whatever character you like. (Marth I presume)
- Play on an Omega stage or FD. (Final Destination)
- Let Falco stand on one side of the stage, while you stand on the other side.
- Falco can only fire lasers and can't move.
- You can only walk, run, and/or shield. (No crouching, jumping, or dodging to avoid lasers)

The fastest way to get to Falco is to dash, then perfect shield the laser, then dash, etc. Rinse and repeat until you make it multiple times without getting hit.

The point of this is for you to reach Falco as fast as you can without getting hit. This will help you with perfect shielding and your approach game against projectiles. This is extremely helpful for characters who don't have projectiles, like Marth.

You can mix this up if your friend plays anyone else with projectiles, most notably Samus, Link, and Toon Link.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! That definitely sounds like an effective way to learn shielding. As for using marth, well, I like the character, but I have no idea who I'll use in SSB4. However, I'll do this with whoever I choose.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Thanks for the advice! That definitely sounds like an effective way to learn shielding. As for using marth, well, I like the character, but I have no idea who I'll use in SSB4. However, I'll do this with whoever I choose.
There's more to shielding than just shielding projectiles, but it's a start. For example, against multi-hit attacks, you need to hold your shield for the full duration. If you mistime this, you'll get hit and your shielding will have been for nothing.

This leads into out-of-shield grabbing, which is typically best against dash attacks or attacks with low shield knockback.

Also, don't get into the habit of shielding too much as you'll be vulnerable to grabs. (Leads into reading your opponents and "mind-games")

It's a complicated version of rock-paper-scissors (or paper-scissors-rock, whatever you call it). Good luck!

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
There's more to shielding than just shielding projectiles, but it's a start. For example, against multi-hit attacks, you need to hold your shield for the full duration. If you mistime this, you'll get hit and your shielding will have been for nothing.

This leads into out-of-shield grabbing, which is typically best against dash attacks or attacks with low shield knockback.

Also, don't get into the habit of shielding too much as you'll be vulnerable to grabs. (Leads into reading your opponents and "mind-games")

It's a complicated version of rock-paper-scissors (or paper-scissors-rock, whatever you call it). Good luck!
I have a lot to learn, and not just shielding. I really want to move from casual to competitive, and am willing to put into the time.

MoKiller

Smash Rookie
NNID
SwordOfJustice17
If you play as Ryu, his shield sounds are very distinct, especially his perfect shield/just defended sound.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Requesting thread lock, I'm already past this now.

Top Bottom