• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to practice Pac-Man alone?

Gecko Moria

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3179-6596-3895
I have a problem. My internet is too slow to play online without immense lag and I have nobody to practice with at home. Somebody told my to just battle CPU's and I don't know how to explain it but pac doesn't really work against CPU's and I don't feel like they're helping me improve at all in general due to thier...unrealisticness? Anyways This is a problem iv'e had since my old internet providers stopped providing for my area. I thought about buying a wireless hotspot but I can't afford it so any advise on practicing with pac-man by myself and just practicing in general with basically nothing would be appreciated. (for the record i am able to play online during weekends but only playing 2 days of the week doesn't really help much...)

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Unless you actually practice offline at a "scene", you aren't going to improve dramatically anyway. You need to learn what high level play feels like before you start practicing. Online training has lag regardless, and is very rarely a representative of a real match.

After that, you can go home to training mode, and start practicing your fakeouts against a shadow opponent. Just enter training mode, and start dash dancing or whatever. But the real important bit, is finding very high level players, and then trying to learn how to bait them... and trying to understand all of their options.

Training mode is kind of awful in this game, but it has enough of the basics to work. You can set the opponent to jump to practice certain aerial combos for example... but honestly, "shadow practice" against invisible opponents is probably the best bet.

Just imagine covering the opponent's various ledge options: Dash backwards -> USmash for the roll. Dash Backwards -> Fox Trot turnaround -> Stutter-step FSmash for the attack getup... etc. etc. A lot of this game is moving unpredictably, and watching the opponent and learning their movement patterns.

Last edited:

Gecko Moria

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3179-6596-3895
Unless you actually practice offline at a "scene", you aren't going to improve dramatically anyway. You need to learn what high level play feels like before you start practicing. Online training has lag regardless, and is very rarely a representative of a real match.
There is a scene where I live and i'm well aware of it but iv'e always been too nervous and incopetent of my skills to go. It's not very big though. The only big scene somewhere near me is about 4-5 hours away. which is why iv'e always played on anthers ladder and for glory (even though FG is pretty garbage.)
I guess i'll go to next weekend's tournament and try some of this stuff afterwards. It's better then nothing I suppose. Thanks.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
There is a scene where I live and i'm well aware of it but iv'e always been too nervous and incopetent of my skills to go. It's not very big though. The only big scene somewhere near me is about 4-5 hours away. which is why iv'e always played on anthers ladder and for glory (even though FG is pretty garbage.)

I guess i'll go to next weekend's tournament and try some of this stuff afterwards. It's better then nothing I suppose. Thanks.
Don't be afraid about your skill man, everyone there was where you were at at some point. The community is all there to be competitive and help each other grow. Just go there, ask to play some friendlies and get beat up and ask for tips on how to improve.

I'd go so far as to contact the TO and let them know your status and insecurities. Ask if when you attend you could get some friendlies with people and the TO should help you feeling welcome.

Gecko Moria

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3179-6596-3895
Don't be afraid about your skill man, everyone there was where you were at at some point. The community is all there to be competitive and help each other grow. Just go there, ask to play some friendlies and get beat up and ask for tips on how to improve.

I'd go so far as to contact the TO and let them know your status and insecurities. Ask if when you attend you could get some friendlies with people and the TO should help you feeling welcome.
Yeah, i'm just gonna do it. (JUST DO IT) thanks for the advise and stuff.

Top Bottom