• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to import data into memory using Dolphin

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I've been working on this for a while, and I have some methods that work fairly well, but I feel like there really must be an easier way to do this.

Specifically, this is what I'm trying to do. I have a file (about 474 bytes) that I want to store in memory. I would like to store this data at memory address 0x8045DFFC (data address resides on memory card). Simple right?

Some methods that have been unsuccessful:

- Since address is on memory card, thought I could edit the memory card save file. Does not work since there is some kind of compression used and the memory card file I end up editing is not a true version of the memory card file.

- Insert code into .sav state. This is mostly due to the fact that sav states use a compression scheme and do not create true 1:1 memory dumps. I tried writing some signal code at 8045DFFC (0xCODECODE) creating a sav state, opening in HXD and then paste inserting the data where 0xC0DEC0DE occurs in the sav state and then reloading the sav state. This just does not seem to work. If this does work and someone knows what I'm doing wrong, please help.

- Using dolphin to import data. There is just no friendly way to bulk paste data into Dolphin that I've seen. If I'm missing something, do tell.

The only successful method I've found is to use Gecko codes to write the data I need, but then I have to convert all the data to a Gecko code file, which really isn't that big a deal but it's just giving me errors and isn't working in this case. I'm not sure if the data is too large or what, but it gives me Exceptions and crashes.

Can someone tell me the preferred way to import large amounts of data into Melee's memory using Dolphin?

Top Bottom