• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to attack/approach/beat marth.

Dohei

Smash Apprentice
Hey i need a little help with versing marth. I mean i beat him most times but still, sheik is ment to OWN marth so ill tell you some things i use and you guys can add to it that helps beat marth e.g.

Approaching him Do's:
- You can dash towards him then crouch and d-tilt to forward air, or more tilts,
- You can jump over him and bair him in the back
- You can throw needles at him at 45 degree angle then fast fall and grab, downthrow to tilts or forward air
- Spam needles at him to get extra damage... he can't do anything about it except come and get you, which leaves him at a dis-advantage

Approaching him Don'ts:
- Dash attack when he isnt in the air
- Fair or any aerial him when he isnt in the air
- Drop down infront of him at any time as he will grab you
- When you get thrown, just do a normal tech then sidestep and he will 90% of the time f-smash you.

Getting Back onto Stage:
i find when hanging on the ledge and hes standing there waiting for me the best thing to do. is do just get up (press across) then side step as he nearly allways f-smashes.

Edge guarding:
Needles, they really own marth
hanging on edge and then as soon as he is about to up b, press R or L
a naughty thing i like to do, to him is when he is near edge: dash towards him dtilt, fair, wait on ledge he will jump because he is trying to get back, so wait for his jump, then you jump and fair him again, if he Doesnt jump after you fair him the first time spam needles at 45 degree angle, if you miss hop on the ledge.. you cant fail. only if you stuff it up. if you have other mays of beating marth please post them and marth is a ***** and he should not be allowed to win. thanks dohei

Pose

Smash Apprentice
I found this very useful. Thanks! All very good strategies on a Marth.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
In general, you don't have to approach a Marth ever. If you feel like camping just run away and throw needles then take advantage when they make mistakes.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
ur doin the right thngs....now just focus on playing maybe a bit faster and perfecting tech skill...if u dont mess up ur l-cancels ever, u should b fine...also...u should heavily work on mindgames....marth is definitley a character u want to make mess up...bcuz sheik can easliy follow up a mistake wit a combo.....peace

-hiroshi
nastiest cfl sheik

goateeguy

Smash Ace
??? I thought i already put a post here! Maybe a similar thread, but anyway, hiroshi has the right idea. Mindgames are important. Very Importent. VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!! I think you get the idea. Oh, and (i know this is unrelated) watch out for DK users. They're psychic!!!

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
If you do every thing you listed at the right time you should have no problem. Just pick up on his style. If he likes to shield grab you, dont let him etc...

AThirdParty

Smash Apprentice
If ur Sheik crouch cancel everything into a d-tilt/f-tilt/grab, which leads to a 50% combo and the Marth off the stage, then use ur amazing edge guarding skills (needles/ledgehop b-air/run off stage f-air/d-smash/etc...)

Take the Marth to FD so he can't escape gay Sheik combos (although any stage is good with Sheik...)

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Ty people! umm, when you say mind games.. i dont really have any... can you help me?
Watch videos. Can't really give you mind games. I steal them from other people and just habits you pick up playing a lot of people. i.e. tons of Marths love to side B when they're in the air and on the way down, so your anticipated attack fails. Predict their prediction and wait, and when they do it jump up and fair them. Stuff like that.

Something I like to do a lot is when you fair a character to the other side of the stage, and you're running after them for your follow up attack. They always assume you will jump right into them and be obvious with the follow up, but I like to run right past them and jump up and back air them.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
we cant give u mindgames...u just have to figure out how to out smasrt your opponent by using incommon moves or erractic movements....to confuse them...alot of times though...the best way to apply mindgames is to b able to figure out your opponents playstyle...find the weaknesses...and abuse them...peace

-hiroshi

Dohei

Smash Apprentice
Aiight thanks guys :p i think we should have a post on best strats to beat every char,well maybe not all but most. im sure it would be fun everyone putting in thier ideas so then we will have the ultimate sheiks

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Maybe the Marths he plays are good vs Sheik.. Sheik is one of my fave matchups when I'm using Marth. In fact, I prefer Marth over anyone else to use against Sheik. I suggest you be patient as Sheik to approach Marth. Being a Marth player, I know a patient Sheik can do some deadly damage. Counter whatever approach they use on you as soon as you can. Maybe needle camp. Any Marth who knows Sheik's weaknesses can outdo Sheik's approaches easily. Camping ftw!!

Banksya

Smash Ace
don't let a campy marth convince you to approach him. thats one of the few times a marth can take advantage when you run or jump right into hit sword. always be the gay one, never approach. Of course this is if you need to win, if its a friendly just have fun.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
If you wish to learn mind games then here three things you can practice so that you can at least develop them
1. Running towards your opponent and wave dashing backwards.
2. Master Waveland off platforms
3. Short hop and wave landing towards or away your opponent.

Basically make Waveland second nature and you will have your mind games.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
approaching marth is a bad idea in the first place.

marth doesnt have any ranged attacks, so why should you? needles force him to approach you <especially on a stage with plenty of campspots>

most marths will always try an approach from the air, especially if you are throwing ground needles, so thats your main change to get in some grabs and WD from shield.

your main problem is when he spaces far enough so he can grab you, but you cant, straight after an aerial.

its true though, dont try and approach marth with aerial attacks. his WD grab is way overpowered so you cant expect to just rush in like a fox. the only exception is bair, and possibly nair <but thats more of an aerial coutner move>

---

what you really need is the tactics to start to learn how to counter fair, utilt and dtilt spamming. those are his three main moves which stop you just rushing in and ****** him, especially because fair and dtilt have little to no lag.

so what do you do against a move which has so little lag, even if you fake him out, he can just do it again and hit you? and a move which has so little lag and combo power, if you get hit once, you are sure to get hit again, and in for a nasty air juggle? and a move so ranged, that you simply cannot counter with any kind of aerial or approach, because he will outrange you and instant combo?

these are the things you should really be thinking about.

Top Bottom